This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 2022-23 OOT ThreadPages (17): [ «  <  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818506 is a reply to message #818502 ]
Thu, 23 February 2023 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 23 February 2023 18:39

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 23 February 2023 16:24

Orlov + Hathaway to Boston for draft picks and Craig Smith
Washington in sell mode.

Boston just got much better. I was kinda hoping for Orlov.

A 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 5th for 2 months of Dimitry Orlov is just lunacy. Halland needs to stay as far away from this stupidity as possible.

I kind of agree. The Bruins are head and shoulders above the Oilers. Giving up 4 picks (including a 2025 2nd rounder that won't be in the NHL until 2028-29) wouldn't come close to making up that gap.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818574 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Sun, 26 February 2023 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Jeannot, LW with 5-9-14 in 56 games traded to Tampa for infinity picks

TRADE

To Tampa Bay #GoBolts   
F Tanner Jeannot

To Nashville #Preds
D Cal Foote
2025 1st RD pick (Top 10 Protected)
2024 2nd RD pick
2023 3rd RD pick
2023 4th RD pick
2023 5th RD pick

That is an insane return. Tampa must love this guy

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818576 is a reply to message #818574 ]
Sun, 26 February 2023 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Tampa seems pretty good at trying to win Cups. Does this show the value of picks for a cup contender?

Meanwhile the Avs, Stars, Knights, and Jets have all gotten better in the west this weekend.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818578 is a reply to message #818576 ]
Sun, 26 February 2023 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 26 February 2023 21:11

Tampa seems pretty good at trying to win Cups. Does this show the value of picks for a cup contender?

Meanwhile the Avs, Stars, Knights, and Jets have all gotten better in the west this weekend.

Evander Kane and Klim Kostin are the Oilers deadline additions.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818580 is a reply to message #818576 ]
Sun, 26 February 2023 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 26 February 2023 21:11

Have won cups yeah. Got a great core of players that they try to add little depth tweaks to. Still, this seems like just irresponsible load blowing to me.

Maybe a side goal is to try to make the deadline market ridiculous and try to make other teams need to overpay for things too.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818581 is a reply to message #818580 ]
Sun, 26 February 2023 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The 3rd, 4th, 5th this year hold very little value. They could be the 90th, 120th, and 150th pick. Give or take. Just minor assets for the Preds. The 2nd next is pretty good. The first in 2025 is a lot. There's no guarantee Tamp will be good then. Although if they are good, even good like the non-contending Oilers are now, it sort of proves the value of draft picks for a good organization.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818582 is a reply to message #818581 ]
Sun, 26 February 2023 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 26 February 2023 22:10

The 3rd, 4th, 5th this year hold very little value. They could be the 90th, 120th, and 150th pick. Give or take. Just minor assets for the Preds. The 2nd next is pretty good. The first in 2025 is a lot. There's no guarantee Tamp will be good then. Although if they are good, even good like the non-contending Oilers are now, it sort of proves the value of draft picks for a good organization.

Just a 1st alone seems like a lot for this guy. Good for Tampa not valuing their picks, but I think other teams still value picks. They even toss in Foote, who is the same age as Jeannot, and on D terms, having a similar performance year.

I suppose Tampa decided who their guy would be and just send out the offer only an insane person would refuse to get it done ASAP. Doubt any other offer was even close. And Tampa out of picks to toss now to try to get something else done. Best pick they have to trade with is a 2nd in 2025.

I dunno, if I was a Tampa fan, I'd probably like to see my GM be a llittle more shrewd, especially since all the GM really has done is little tweaks to the elite core he was left with from Yzerman. Obviously I'd love that a couple cups were won, but the quick all in now for a 3rd liner having crap year. Seems like some overconfidence.

[Updated on: Sun, 26 February 2023 22:45]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818583 is a reply to message #818582 ]
Sun, 26 February 2023 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

The only way I can explain this trade is that Nashville must have pictures of Julien BriseBois buggering Bettmans pet goat. Insane haul for a guy putting up Derek Ryan numbers.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818584 is a reply to message #818583 ]
Sun, 26 February 2023 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 26 February 2023 22:40

The only way I can explain this trade is that Nashville must have pictures of Julien BriseBois buggering Bettmans pet goat. Insane haul for a guy putting up Derek Ryan numbers.

I assume Tampa has some analytics guys that calculated the exact hockey elements the team was lacking, and then discovered that Jeannot checked off all the boxes. Flag goes up to immediately send out the offer that would never be refused ASAP.

I guess we shall see how it works out for them :)

Just saw that Klim Kostin has identical stats to Jeannot, but got his 14 points in less games and he's 2 years younger.

[Updated on: Mon, 27 February 2023 08:08]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818606 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Leafs media really pumping tires for Dubas after he sells the future only to be eliminated in the first round again.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818611 is a reply to message #818606 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 27 February 2023 14:06

Leafs media really pumping tires for Dubas after he sells the future only to be eliminated in the first round again.

Trying to win now, what a foreign concept around here.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818615 is a reply to message #818611 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 27 February 2023 17:41

Of course only the results in the playoffs will matter but I will admit to being jealous. TO was in as much cap trouble as the Oilers and in the last week they have upgraded multiple positions.
Yes, they have pushed out a pile of draft picks but I have made my stance known on that a few times.
You have to give Dubas credit for giving the Leafs the best chance to win, he has taken away almost all excuses and shown the players and rest of the org it is a time to win.

I really hope the Oilers roster has even 25% of the Leafs improvements come deadline day. I don't have faith that Holland has the creativity to work through the cap issue, or the guts to pull the trigger on a risky move.
If he doesnt do something of substance this year I think it is clear he will never have the ability to make moves to improve the team.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818616 is a reply to message #818615 ]
Mon, 27 February 2023 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 27 February 2023 18:03

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 27 February 2023 17:41

Of course only the results in the playoffs will matter but I will admit to being jealous. TO was in as much cap trouble as the Oilers and in the last week they have upgraded multiple positions.
Yes, they have pushed out a pile of draft picks but I have made my stance known on that a few times.
You have to give Dubas credit for giving the Leafs the best chance to win, he has taken away almost all excuses and shown the players and rest of the org it is a time to win.

I really hope the Oilers roster has even 25% of the Leafs improvements come deadline day. I don't have faith that Holland has the creativity to work through the cap issue, or the guts to pull the trigger on a risky move.
If he doesnt do something of substance this year I think it is clear he will never have the ability to make moves to improve the team.

The curse, or just pressure to win in TO, is really going to be tested this year. Their D is improved, they have lots of depth now. I guess we can still hope for a goaltending implosion, and just general choking. Dubas certainly not to blame this time around.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818659 is a reply to message #818616 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I find it hypocritical that the NHL puts out a memo warning teams about trading for LTIR guys just to activate them for the playoffs and are watching for "cap circumvention". Yet they allow teams to trade for guys on LTIR to make the cap floor.

Yotes traded for Weber who will never play again. His cap hit is 7.857 mill but for the next seasons will make 1 mill in actual money. So the Yotes next season will have his 7.857 mill on their roster as just injured reserve, helping them make the cap floor without having to pay actual players to contribute to the team. That's cap circumvention right there. They are using a loop hole in the CBA to help their cap situation.

This league continues to talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818710 is a reply to message #818659 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 09:06

I find it hypocritical that the NHL puts out a memo warning teams about trading for LTIR guys just to activate them for the playoffs and are watching for "cap circumvention". Yet they allow teams to trade for guys on LTIR to make the cap floor.

Yotes traded for Weber who will never play again. His cap hit is 7.857 mill but for the next seasons will make 1 mill in actual money. So the Yotes next season will have his 7.857 mill on their roster as just injured reserve, helping them make the cap floor without having to pay actual players to contribute to the team. That's cap circumvention right there. They are using a loop hole in the CBA to help their cap situation.

Good point.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818711 is a reply to message #818710 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 14:33

Good point.

It's hilarious that I saw a media guy suggest the Oilers were thinking about doing this, getting a guy like Nyquist. Saw that I think before the NHL announcement. NHL always right on top of things, in specific circumstances.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818717 is a reply to message #818711 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 13:38

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 14:33

Good point.

It's hilarious that I saw a media guy suggest the Oilers were thinking about doing this, getting a guy like Nyquist. Saw that I think before the NHL announcement. NHL always right on top of things, in specific circumstances.

Well at least NHL Corp. fired a warning off beforehand and we won't have to give up a 3rd to Calgary!

There was a guy on LT's site that laid out a perfect LTIR plan involving Nyquist as an acquisition, maybe word got out to Daily that it wasn't NYR or Tampa that were thinking about it so it slammed the door pre-emptively.. wouldn't want to give the wrong teams an unfair advantage..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818785 is a reply to message #818717 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm very happy I'll get to make Patrick Kane was a Coyote jokes for the next few years.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818790 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Robitaille and Blake may not have talked to their coach before making this trade for Korpisalo and Gavrikov. Other than Evgeny Nabokov, has any Russian been good enough for McLellan?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818802 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Preds doing OK in the trade front.. Cal Foot was a good get.

Quote:

Nathan “Grav" @NathanGraviteh
20h
The Preds have traded Tanner Jeannot, Mattias Ekholm and a 6th and have got:

2023 1st
2025 1st
2024 2nd
2023 3rd/4th/5th
Reid Schaefer
Cal Foote
Tyson Barrie
4th Rounder

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818804 is a reply to message #818802 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Red Rage  is currently offline Red Rage

No Cups

I wouldn't be surprised to see them flip Barrie to someone else

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818807 is a reply to message #818804 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Red Rage wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 11:48

Yeah they're rebuilding, they can use prospects more than Barrie at this point in the cycle.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818811 is a reply to message #818807 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 13:10

Red Rage wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 11:48

Yeah they're rebuilding, they can use prospects more than Barrie at this point in the cycle.

I'm not sure they're rebuilding. They've made the playoffs 8 years in a row and have a pretty solid core signed for the next few years. I think they couldn't recover from a bad start this year and are simply gathering assets and space for next season. Specific to Barrie, the Perds had a hard time scoring this year (26th in goals for right now). Trading defense for an offensive defenseman, a 1st round prospect, and a couple of picks makes a lot of sense in a lost season.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818826 is a reply to message #818802 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 13:35

Preds doing OK in the trade front.. Cal Foot was a good get.

Quote:

Nathan “Grav" @NathanGraviteh
20h
The Preds have traded Tanner Jeannot, Mattias Ekholm and a 6th and have got:

2023 1st
2025 1st
2024 2nd
2023 3rd/4th/5th
Reid Schaefer
Cal Foote
Tyson Barrie
4th Rounder

With Trotz back in the organization as GM, that bodes well in their continued pursuit of emphasizing the development of their young Dmen. He also gets to do his homework on all this newly acquired draft capital as well.....

They likely see Tyson Barrie as their immediate replacement for Ryan Ellis/PK Subban.

They likely envision Cal Foote as the 2nd coming of a right shot Ekholm and if we're looking a decade back then say Shea Weber.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2023 16:55]

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818819 is a reply to message #812389 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Chychrun goes to Ottawa for a 1st and two 2nds (with some conditions, but it basically comes down to that). I wonder if Armstrong waited too long thinking he would get more and now he's ended up with less.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818820 is a reply to message #818819 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 16:21

Chychrun goes to Ottawa for a 1st and two 2nds (with some conditions, but it basically comes down to that). I wonder if Armstrong waited too long thinking he would get more and now he's ended up with less.

Wow, that's a crappy return after all the waiting.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818821 is a reply to message #818819 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 15:21

Yeah that's very little.

At his salary and age, I think I would preferred that.

I guess Arizona didn't want to take on any salary. So Holland would have had to trade Barrie or whomever elsewhere to make it work.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2023 16:32]

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818822 is a reply to message #818821 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 16:31

Yeah that's very little.

The media guys saying salary retention was an issue for Arizona. They wanted to unload the whole contract and not retain.

That's kinda weird, don't they just spend the rest of the leagues money anyways?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818823 is a reply to message #818822 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 15:33

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 16:31

Yeah that's very little.

The media guys saying salary retention was an issue for Arizona. They wanted to unload the whole contract and not retain.

That's kinda weird, don't they just spend the rest of the leagues money anyways?

They gotta make sure there is money left for Zack Kassian.

Yeah Holland would have needed to do an extra trade to make it work. That's a big ask for our 5 million dollar man.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818827 is a reply to message #818823 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

What a crappy return for Chychrun after all of that! I think the Yotes GM is a complete idiot.

I have to think prior to dumping JP for nothing to get cap space, the Oilers made offers to the Yotes for Chychrun that involved taking JP back. The job of the GM is to make his team better and get the most asset for your players. So they would have turned down a most likely better offer from the Oilers, all to save on having to pay JP a couple of months of salary.

DUMB!

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818830 is a reply to message #818827 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 16:54

What a crappy return for Chychrun after all of that! I think the Yotes GM is a complete idiot.

I have to think prior to dumping JP for nothing to get cap space, the Oilers made offers to the Yotes for Chychrun that involved taking JP back. The job of the GM is to make his team better and get the most asset for your players. So they would have turned down a most likely better offer from the Oilers, all to save on having to pay JP a couple of months of salary.

DUMB!

One perspective I didn't consider. Retaining with Chychrun would consume a salary retention spot for Arizona for 3 years. They like to use all those spots to try to get nice assets from the rest of the league. You can only have 3 at a time.

I guess it is possible that 3 years of having the retention spot free could mean more assets than what they could have got trading Chychrun retained.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818840 is a reply to message #818830 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I understand not wanting to retain on a multi-year and frankly underpaid player…but not wanting to take any contracts back was going to severely limit their options.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818842 is a reply to message #818840 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

I like what the Sens have been doing the last couple of years. As soon as next season they could be scary good.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818904 is a reply to message #818830 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 17:26

DUMB!

One perspective I didn't consider. Retaining with Chychrun would consume a salary retention spot for Arizona for 3 years. They like to use all those spots to try to get nice assets from the rest of the league. You can only have 3 at a time.

I guess it is possible that 3 years of having the retention spot free could mean more assets than what they could have got trading Chychrun retained.

The reports are supposedly the Oilers had an offer into the Yotes, a take it or leave it. I am going to guess the offer included taking JP back. Even sounds like they basically had a deal done, then they came back and wanted more. Oilers said no, JP gets dumped, they go get Ekholm.

If the Yotes didn't want to retain for 3 years, I get that to a degree but 2 months of JP salary was too much? I don't know the break down of how much he gets paid per month but what are we talking here in real cash, under 1 mill probably. So you sacrifice a better package to save under 1 mill in cash. That's just bad management.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818905 is a reply to message #818904 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I'm guessing cash flow is tight playing in a Rink that would be too small for Weyburn, SK

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818906 is a reply to message #818905 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 08:19

I'm guessing cash flow is tight playing in a Rink that would be too small for Weyburn, SK

True but I am sure they are getting max money from the league to stay afloat. They are Bettman's baby.

I just think it's a bad decision because they are sacrificing maybe improving your team to save a couple of months of salary.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818909 is a reply to message #818904 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 08:17

DUMB!

The reports are supposedly the Oilers had an offer into the Yotes, a take it or leave it. I am going to guess the offer included taking JP back. Even sounds like they basically had a deal done, then they came back and wanted more. Oilers said no, JP gets dumped, they go get Ekholm.

If the Yotes didn't want to retain for 3 years, I get that to a degree but 2 months of JP salary was too much? I don't know the break down of how much he gets paid per month but what are we talking here in real cash, under 1 mill probably. So you sacrifice a better package to save under 1 mill in cash. That's just bad management.

I think they needed to take JP plus more no? We had to move JP and Barrie to be able to take Ekholm. If Arizona didn't want to take back any salary at all, i think that makes it hard for us. Although, if we watch Nashville flip Barrie for picks now, I guess we could have done it.

Hopefully Ekholm keeps looking like a good consolation prize :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818911 is a reply to message #818909 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 10:01

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 08:17

DUMB!

I think they needed to take JP plus more no? We had to move JP and Barrie to be able to take Ekholm. If Arizona didn't want to take back any salary at all, i think that makes it hard for us. Although, if we watch Nashville flip Barrie for picks now, I guess we could have done it.

Hopefully Ekholm keeps looking like a good consolation prize :)

I know people like the idea of Chychrun but I think Ekholm is the better fit for the Oilers. I don't see Chychrun settling Bouchard down defensively like Ekholm will or teaching Bouchard to defend better so he can be the dman he should be able to be other that just offensive. I don't see Chychurn being a mentor for Bouchard or Broberg or Desharnais or whoever like Ekholm will.

The Oilers badly needed a 20 min a night dman who every time he is on the ice, he can shut down the opposition, kill some penalties, defend well and in the last minute when you need a stop, he's on the ice. They don't need a guy who scores more points or helps on the PP like CHychrun does.

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818831 is a reply to message #818819 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

For some reason he must have thought the cap/salary retention for 2 more years was worth more than acquiring better assets.. it can't be cap since they are bound to be a cap floor team.. so it must have been just straight cash flow?

I think Dougie must have passed on a few better deals in the past year thinking he'd hit a a grand slam at the trade deadline.. instead he got a double.. putzed around for a year and a half .. then the music stopped..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818907 is a reply to message #818831 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Hall has a lower body injury that needed a second opinion and magically he's on LTIR now.

"Taylor, don't go to the team doc, he's an idiot. Go to this guy on the other side of the tracks."

"What!! The doc said you can't possibly play another game for the rest of the year but will be ready to practice 3 weeks before the season is done so you will be in shape and ready for game 1. Aww man, that sucks. Well, if that's what the doc says is best."

"Hey Steve, we will take Bertuzzi, Taylor is hurt now so we have the space. What is he hurt with? Ummm Leg something or other. I don't really know. We got a deal or what?"

Re: 2022-23 Regular Season OOT Thread [message #818912 is a reply to message #818831 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

You know what, if I'm Phoenix, I don't think I trade Chych at all. yeah he wanted a trade, but staying put is nothing new. He requested it 2 years ago initially.
If the offer wasn't right this time, they should have kept him to the end of the season and tried again.
Their initial ask was bonkers high, pushed buyers away, then sold for a terrible return. There was a middle ground... Seriously, I'd be a GM for HALF what some of those morons get paid!

Pages (17): [ «  <  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Flyers hire more alumni to run the team
Next Topic:Flames arena
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca