This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Summer 2022 Signing/Trade threadPages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810911 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Wed, 27 July 2022 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Bear gets 1x2.2M from the Canes.

Think he had his season messed up by COVID and maybe some issues getting his fitness back. Think fitness has been an ongoing thing for him, hopefully he figures it out. Gets a year to try to get his game back together.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810914 is a reply to message #810911 ]
Wed, 27 July 2022 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 July 2022 17:01

Think he had his season messed up by COVID and maybe some issues getting his fitness back. Think fitness has been an ongoing thing for him, hopefully he figures it out. Gets a year to try to get his game back together.

Man, the Oilers could use a right shot defenceman making $2.2M right about now.

Pretty sure he had long covid. Kind of similar to Puljujarvi's year. Pretty good start for Bear, got Covid and never really got back on track.

Quote:

@SaraCivian - I just asked Ethan Bear if he had long Covid and he said he doesn't know, to be honest. He was out of breath and couldn't tell if it was the COVID or just being out of shape. Said it was hard either way.

https://twitter.com/SaraCivian/status/1532374325432549378?s= 20&t=P_i08fbUiDe0sQrLM2uyQQ

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810915 is a reply to message #810914 ]
Wed, 27 July 2022 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 27 July 2022 22:13

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 27 July 2022 17:01

Man, the Oilers could use a right shot defenceman making $2.2M right about now.

Pretty sure he had long covid. Kind of similar to Puljujarvi's year. Pretty good start for Bear, got Covid and never really got back on track.

Quote:

@SaraCivian - I just asked Ethan Bear if he had long Covid and he said he doesn't know, to be honest. He was out of breath and couldn't tell if it was the COVID or just being out of shape. Said it was hard either way.

https://twitter.com/SaraCivian/status/1532374325432549378?s= 20&t=P_i08fbUiDe0sQrLM2uyQQ

Would they take Foegele for him?!

Maybe they would have taken Barrie for a reasonable price before they went and got Burns. Oh well.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810916 is a reply to message #810915 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have zero interest in Bear.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810917 is a reply to message #810916 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 08:04

Sarcasm? Haven't you always been one of his biggest fans?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810918 is a reply to message #810917 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

RDOF is simply of the belief that the Oilers brass knows best. Whoever's on the team is the best available option. except PJ. He hates PJ.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810920 is a reply to message #810918 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 08:46

RDOF is simply of the belief that the Oilers brass knows best. Whoever's on the team is the best available option. except PJ. He hates PJ.

I am getting so sick and tired of this absolute BS narrative. I have no idea how many freaking times I have said I think JP is a good player, I'm just not ready to back the brinks truck up for the guy and commit big dollars and term to him.

I have said multiple times I would like them to keep him. I have said I don't want to see them trade the guy just because. I have suggested scenarios of contracts that I would feel comfortable offering him on longer term deals. I have said many times the role I see him in on the team today because I think it's a role he would excel in AND it makes the Oilers a much deeper team. I even gave examples of how good players were maybe in lower roles on real good teams and how it helped the team and then those players moved on for bigger contracts and I felt JP could be a perfect player for that situation as long as he was cool to accept that role, was willing to be paid for that role while the Oilers went for a cup.

Where my opinion differed from some is I am not 100%, write him in pen forever, right now with absolute certainty sure he's a long term fit in the Oilers top 6. I think he needs to improve on a few puck things. I haven't been saying he can't improve on those things, I haven't been saying I would be upset if he was in the top 6, all I have been saying is I need to see a few minor improvements before I am 100% convinced. I like a lot of what JP has to offer so if he could improve a few puck things, maybe work on his balance and edges a little, he'd be a great top 6 guy because I LOVE his physical tools. I love big hockey players that have good skating and skill. That is my opinion of him that I have said many, many, many times since he came over from Finland. I am glad they resigned him. I think the contract he got is fair for him and the team. Would it be awesome if that deal was for longer term at the same AAV? Absolutely it would. I want all players to sing contracts for low money and longer term but I know it was very unlikely to happen because JP wouldn't want that. AND, I agree with him. Signing this deal was probably in his best interest so he can hopefully have a healthy season and prove to everyone including the team what he can do.

But just because I am not today prepared to put him on McD's wing and say "he's McD's winger until he retires" or just because I am not prepared to, today to scream "Sign him up for a max term to whatever dollars he wants" doesn't mean I hate JP. So for the last freaking time. I DO NOT HATE JP!!!

I am respectfully asking you to please stop spreading lies about me.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810921 is a reply to message #810917 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 08:28

I have no issue with Bear, I was just never a fan who thought he was this future top 4 stud. I saw him as a bit undersized bottom pairing dman, who did lots of things just OK that could do OK if he had a very good partner. I felt the Oilers had lots of dman in the organization that were just OK at some things that needed a good partner to do well. Any comments I made about Bear after the trade were made because so many people told me how wrong I was for not buying in that he was instantly going to be this top 4 stud once he left the Oilers.

My lack of interest in Bear is the same. He's a bit undersized dman who does lots of things just OK provided he has a good partner. Other than his lower salary than Barrie, I don't see him as a fit with the Oilers because he needs a good partner to excel. I do not see him better than Ceci, I do not see him better than Bouchard so he would play below them and there is a good chance his partner will either be a rookie in Broberg or someone who isn't better than him so I do not think it would be a good fit.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810922 is a reply to message #810921 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 09:18

I have no issue with Bear, I was just never a fan who thought he was this future top 4 stud. I saw him as a bit undersized bottom pairing dman, who did lots of things just OK that could do OK if he had a very good partner. I felt the Oilers had lots of dman in the organization that were just OK at some things that needed a good partner to do well. Any comments I made about Bear after the trade were made because so many people told me how wrong I was for not buying in that he was instantly going to be this top 4 stud once he left the Oilers.

My lack of interest in Bear is the same. He's a bit undersized dman who does lots of things just OK provided he has a good partner. Other than his lower salary than Barrie, I don't see him as a fit with the Oilers because he needs a good partner to excel. I do not see him better than Ceci, I do not see him better than Bouchard so he would play below them and there is a good chance his partner will either be a rookie in Broberg or someone who isn't better than him so I do not think it would be a good fit.

For me, I wish we could swap Barrie and Bear right now. I think he is a great 6th pair guy that can help move the puck up. He always put up great possession stats on the 3rd pair. 2.3M you would save in that kind of swap would go to good use for the forward group. Canes probably still have time for Bear though, and don't think they need Barrie with Burns.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810923 is a reply to message #810922 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 09:34

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 09:18

For me, I wish we could swap Barrie and Bear right now. I think he is a great 6th pair guy that can help move the puck up. He always put up great possession stats on the 3rd pair. 2.3M you would save in that kind of swap would go to good use for the forward group. Canes probably still have time for Bear though, and don't think they need Barrie with Burns.

I don't disagree with you on his price point being good for a 3rd pairing and the fact he can move the puck reasonably well. I am just assuming to keep the costs down, the Oilers are probably going to play one of Broberg or Niemelainen in their bottom pairing to start and I don't think having Bear as their "vet" partner, the guy who when a younger dman makes a mistake, he's there to hopefully clean it up, would be a good idea considering Bear experience wise is still on the youngish side and I assume he's still got developing to do as well. I think this would be even more evident when they make the playoffs. I consider the Oilers a lock to make the playoffs right now, so they would potentially have a young dman in Broberg or Niemelainen with Bear who's got 8 games of playoff experience so I don't think that would be good.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2022 10:02]

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810925 is a reply to message #810923 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 09:00

I don't disagree with you on his price point being good for a 3rd pairing and the fact he can move the puck reasonably well. I am just assuming to keep the costs down, the Oilers are probably going to play one of Broberg or Niemelainen in their bottom pairing to start and I don't think having Bear as their "vet" partner, the guy who when a younger dman makes a mistake, he's there to hopefully clean it up, would be a good idea considering Bear experience wise is still on the youngish side and I assume he's still got developing to do as well. I think this would be even more evident when they make the playoffs. I consider the Oilers a lock to make the playoffs right now, so they would potentially have a young dman in Broberg or Niemelainen with Bear who's got 8 games of playoff experience so I don't think that would be good.

Okay, but then apply this same logic to Barrie, but at twice the price. You think Barrie is a guy that is running around cleaning up a lot of mistakes of his partner in the defensive zone? If he was, he'd be paid $7M/year.

What does how far along their development curve they are matter if Barrie can't do the things that the Oilers need him to do 5x5 anyways? Would a pair of Broberg/Bear make mistakes in their own zone? For sure they would. Would they make more mistakes than Broberg/Barrie? I'm not convinced of that.

I'm not saying that it has to be Bear, I was a bit tongue in cheek when I threw his name out there, given that the Oilers traded him for a guy that they're now trying to get rid of.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2022 11:33]

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810926 is a reply to message #810925 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Traded him for a player they're now trying to get rid of.... sounds like Oilers. That could be a banner in their war room.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810928 is a reply to message #810925 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 11:24

Okay, but then apply this same logic to Barrie, but at twice the price. You think Barrie is a guy that is running around cleaning up a lot of mistakes of his partner in the defensive zone? If he was, he'd be paid $7M/year.

What does how far along their development curve they are matter if Barrie can't do the things that the Oilers need him to do 5x5 anyways? Would a pair of Broberg/Bear make mistakes in their own zone? For sure they would. Would they make more mistakes than Broberg/Barrie? I'm not convinced of that.

I'm not saying that it has to be Bear, I was a bit tongue in cheek when I threw his name out there, given that the Oilers traded him for a guy that they're now trying to get rid of.

And hilariously, they're at the same price point now, but Bear at $2.3MM as a third pairing defenceman is much better value than Foegele at $2.3MM as a fourth line forward.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810932 is a reply to message #810925 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://oilersnation.com/2022/07/28/evan-bouchard-wont-repla ce-tyson-barrie/

I'm just listing this article because it has some readily available defensive stats for Barrie that many people bring up about his play. These are from the playoffs. I believe playoff hockey is different and harder to play than regular season hockey. I believe these stats are from Natural Statrick so I am assuming they are reasonably accurate. They seem to show he was capable of playing decent defensive in the role he was in.

I am perfectly fine to get rid of Barrie as long as like I have said multiple times, they have a replacement for him. Like I said, I consider the Oilers a lock to make the playoffs so in order to do that and excel in the playoffs, usually teams don't have a defense riddled with inexperienced guys. They will for sure have Bouchard on the team, probably 1 of Broberg or Nemelainen on the team so I think adding a Bear who has 8 playoff games total wouldn't be a good idea. That would make it so 50% of your entire defense is extremely inexperienced in the playoffs. I just don't think that would be wise for a team looking to challenge for a cup. It doesn't mean I think Bear is a bad player. Just because I personally do not think he's the right fit for the Oilers, it doesn't mean I hate Bear like Dragon accuses me of anytime I don't proclaim whatever player he likes as "the best ever", I just don't see him as the right guy for the Oilers.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2022 12:55]

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810933 is a reply to message #810932 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 12:52

I'm just listing this article because it has some readily available defensive stats for Barrie that many people bring up about his play. These are from the playoffs. I believe playoff hockey is different and harder to play than regular season hockey. I believe these stats are from Natural Statrick so I am assuming they are reasonably accurate. They seem to show he was capable of playing decent defensive in the role he was in.

I am perfectly fine to get rid of Barrie as long as like I have said multiple times, they have a replacement for him. Like I said, I consider the Oilers a lock to make the playoffs so in order to do that and excel in the playoffs, usually teams don't have a defense riddled with inexperienced guys. They will for sure have Bouchard on the team, probably 1 of Broberg or Nemelainen on the team so I think adding a Bear who has 8 playoff games total wouldn't be a good idea. That would make it so 50% of your entire defense is extremely inexperienced in the playoffs. I just don't think that would be wise for a team looking to challenge for a cup. It doesn't mean I think Bear is a bad player. Just because I personally do not think he's the right fit for the Oilers, it doesn't mean I hate Bear like Dragon accuses me of anytime I don't proclaim whatever player he likes as "the best ever", I just don't see him as the right guy for the Oilers.

Good that Gregor is looking at these stats, but he might need to learn to dig deeper. Barrie got wrecked without Mcdavid in the playoffs, and that is likely what his ice time is mainly going to be now. If we need to keep giving Barrie McDavid time so he doesn't get destroyed, then we definitely need to look at replacing him, because that's not what you should have to do with a 4.5M D.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810934 is a reply to message #810933 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 12:57

Good that Gregor is looking at these stats, but he might need to learn to dig deeper. Barrie got wrecked without Mcdavid in the playoffs, and that is likely what his ice time is mainly going to be now. If we need to keep giving Barrie McDavid time so he doesn't get destroyed, then we definitely need to look at replacing him, because that's not what you should have to do with a 4.5M D.

Do you have stats to back that up? I would assume if that was the case and his stats were as bad as you say they were without McD, it would have a big time impact on his overall numbers.

I do think there are some players on the Oilers who fans for whatever reason either like them or don't like them and it will not matter what they do on the ice good or bad. The players who are disliked, can do countless things right but heaven help them if they do even 1 thing wrong. I also believe there are players who fans like no matter what and as long as they do 1 thing right in a game, fans will ignore all the wrong.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2022 13:11]

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810935 is a reply to message #810934 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 28 July 2022 13:05

Do you have stats to back that up? I would assume if that was the case and his stats were as bad as you say they were without McD, it would have a big time impact on his overall numbers.

Think I mentioned before, 2 goals for and 7 against without McDavid. Bouch was 6 for and 9 against which is not amazing, but he did have a D partner that left him out to dry a lot and kept giving up the blueline, lol.

Regular season, McDavid performed better with Bouch than without on GF (69.57 with 53.95% without) and xGF (60.74 with 57.86 without), and performed better without Barrie than with him on GF (57.50 with and 60.00% without) and xGF (56.73 with 60.38 without). So another conundrum there. In the playoffs McDavid+Barrie had 10 goals for and 0 against, which is amazing, but I think most of that was while we were spanking Calgary. Barrie, IIRC, lost his McDavid time as games got harder and ended up lower in the lineup. Bouch and Keith were given a lot of tough responsibility, I guess because Keith is the reliable vet, but IMO Keith depended on Bouch a lot out there. Those 2 second wind up telegraphed Keith passes were not working that well against good opposition.

I think Bouch already has passed Barrie based on his usage when the games were hardest. Now it's just a matter of Bouch getting that top PP spot.

For next year just to note, I'm hoping we get surprised as how good Kulak-Bouch are as a 2nd pair. Brobeast/Barrie hopefully can do well on the 3rd, assuming we keep Barrie.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 July 2022 13:27]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810936 is a reply to message #810933 ]
Thu, 28 July 2022 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gregor isn't even close to the best at player analysis, and I don't think he's above a certain level of water carrying to maintain access. His general takes are tired sportswriter takes - old vets are always better (big fan of Duncan Keith acquisition, and even big apologist over his magnets and voodoo dolls approach to health). Grit and size are super important. Can't win with too many "skilled" players (although Team Canada at the Olympics seems to defy this to an extent...)

I don't really classify him as an expert anyone should put too much stock in to, and I don't think he's right here. Bouchard was already better and more productive than Barrie last year, and that's likely to be even more pronounced this year. Barrie's salary could be better spent elsewhere in the lineup, so if you can deal him and bring back someone without the powerplay aptitude, but at half the price or less? Then I think you have to do it.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811013 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Thu, 04 August 2022 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Huberdeau signs in the town of cows for 8 x $10.5M
Quote:

Frank Seravalli@frank_seravalli 5m

#Flames Huberdeau will earn $61.5 mil in signing bonus. Full NMC all 8 yrs, last 2 yrs 12-team modified NTC.

1. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
2. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
3. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
4. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
5. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
6. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
7. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
8. $5M SB, $5.5M Sal

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811014 is a reply to message #811013 ]
Thu, 04 August 2022 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Calgary just officially destroyed Florida in that trade. If they can manage to re-sign Weegar then doubly so.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811016 is a reply to message #811014 ]
Thu, 04 August 2022 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 04 August 2022 20:26

Calgary just officially destroyed Florida in that trade. If they can manage to re-sign Weegar then doubly so.

They will until Hub's tires eventually start to fall off.. he'll be 38 when he's done.. full NMC all 8..

I think Hub is actually better than Turtle right now. which kinda sucks.... age will catch up to him.. IMHO hubbie brings way more to the team..

[Updated on: Thu, 04 August 2022 21:34]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811015 is a reply to message #811013 ]
Thu, 04 August 2022 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I was hoping they'd rebuild, but good to having him signed.

Buyout proof contract though.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811017 is a reply to message #811013 ]
Thu, 04 August 2022 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 04 August 2022 21:23

Quote:

#Flames Huberdeau will earn $61.5 mil in signing bonus. Full NMC all 8 yrs, last 2 yrs 12-team modified NTC.

1. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
2. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
3. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
4. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
5. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
6. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
7. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
8. $5M SB, $5.5M Sal

Well that's annoying. Florida seriously got brain damage from the Tampa sweep. Their answer to Tampa is the magic pest that was invisible for 4 straight losses vs the Oilers.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811018 is a reply to message #811017 ]
Thu, 04 August 2022 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 04 August 2022 20:42

Quote:

1. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
2. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
3. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
4. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
5. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
6. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
7. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
8. $5M SB, $5.5M Sal

Well that's annoying. Florida seriously got brain damage from the Tampa sweep. Their answer to Tampa is the magic pest that was invisible for 4 straight losses vs the Oilers.

I think he gets exposed in Fla. I was wishing 8 x 10.5 for turtle in Cal.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811020 is a reply to message #811018 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Calgary stays a playoff team, which I think is good. I would love to see more BOAs in the playoffs.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811021 is a reply to message #811020 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Fri, 05 August 2022 10:20

Calgary stays a playoff team, which I think is good. I would love to see more BOAs in the playoffs.

I do wonder if this leads to them chasing Kadri now.

Unbelievable that he's still out there this late. He should probably fire his agent too...

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811022 is a reply to message #811021 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 August 2022 10:44

Unbelievable that he's still out there this late. He should probably fire his agent too...

Looks like the Lames only have ~2.8M of cap space. Need to move the Looch if they want another significant roster upgrade. Best of luck to them! :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811024 is a reply to message #811022 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 05 August 2022 11:13

Looks like the Lames only have ~2.8M of cap space. Need to move the Looch if they want another significant roster upgrade. Best of luck to them! :)

How much do they have if Monahan is on LTIR though? I don't know that it's a certainty he plays much (or at all) this year.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811025 is a reply to message #811024 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 August 2022 13:00

How much do they have if Monahan is on LTIR though? I don't know that it's a certainty he plays much (or at all) this year.

Hold back Monahan and cheat the system? The Oilers would never do an underhanded thing like that.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811026 is a reply to message #811025 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Monohan on LTRI leaves them with about 9M available.
Rumour I read was that Kadri is likely to stay in Colorado once they shed salary. Who knows how true it is, but they're a winning team. who doesn't want more cups?

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811027 is a reply to message #811025 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 05 August 2022 13:10

Hold back Monahan and cheat the system? The Oilers would never do an underhanded thing like that.

Haha - at least Monahan missed the end of last season with injury, unlike our injured goalie who started every playoff game before suffering a career-ending injury in the final seconds of the Colorado series.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811028 is a reply to message #811024 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Definitely opens things up if Sean the Great is out. Thought he got a hip surgery to be ready for next year though. Hopefully he's all ready to go and plays about the same as before :)

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811029 is a reply to message #811013 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

1. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
2. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
3. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
4. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
5. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
6. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
7. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
8. $5M SB, $5.5M Sal

I've seen some people trying to roast Calgary for this online. I can't really do it.

In the last 5 years, Huberdeau is the 7th highest scoring player in the league with 415 points in 368 games played. That's ahead of Gaudreau (405), Marner (394), Stamkos (390) and Matthews (388). Matthews has played 325 games, everyone else more so he's comparable to everyone in that group on production.

You could argue that the deal is too long, and that the bonus-heavy structure and NMC make it a future cap killer years down the road, but he should be able to provide value over the next few years.

Calgary did really nicely in that trade, especially considering they were moving a guy who didn't want to be there. Florida gets younger and so their long deal with Tkachuk is probably less risky in the back half (and slightly less money), but I think over at least the next couple years, Huberdeau may be the better player, and they gave up at least one year of Weegar plus a first round pick for that comfort. From here, given the situation Calgary was in, I think that looks like a loss for Florida and a win for Calgary, but I guess we will see.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811030 is a reply to message #811029 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 August 2022 13:54

Quote:

1. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
2. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
3. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
4. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
5. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
6. $7M SB, $3.5M Sal
7. $9.5M SB, $1M Sal
8. $5M SB, $5.5M Sal

I've seen some people trying to roast Calgary for this online. I can't really do it.

In the last 5 years, Huberdeau is the 7th highest scoring player in the league with 415 points in 368 games played. That's ahead of Gaudreau (405), Marner (394), Stamkos (390) and Matthews (388). Matthews has played 325 games, everyone else more so he's comparable to everyone in that group on production.

You could argue that the deal is too long, and that the bonus-heavy structure and NMC make it a future cap killer years down the road, but he should be able to provide value over the next few years.

Calgary did really nicely in that trade, especially considering they were moving a guy who didn't want to be there. Florida gets younger and so their long deal with Tkachuk is probably less risky in the back half (and slightly less money), but I think over at least the next couple years, Huberdeau may be the better player, and they gave up at least one year of Weegar plus a first round pick for that comfort. From here, given the situation Calgary was in, I think that looks like a loss for Florida and a win for Calgary, but I guess we will see.

I'm still pissed at Florida and their panicky chasing of intangibles like it's gonna fix all their problems. They must have missed Tkachuk giving half the effort in the first 2 seasons of his 3 year deal.

Guess can just be happy the BOA will still be competitive, and the Lames still got a regular season downgrade overall losing Tkachuk and Johnny "Regular Season" Hockey.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811031 is a reply to message #811029 ]
Fri, 05 August 2022 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 August 2022 12:54

I mean Huberdeau is pretty good, but he's no Joffrey Lupul. That's the return you should be looking for when you trade a star player coming of a monster season. icon_wink

Honestly, I don't how Calgary could have done much better on this deal. Huberdeau is a legit star, and if Weeger isn't a top pair defenceman, then he's an excellent top 4. Both are older than Tkachuk and both needed to be re-signed, but Calgary wasn't exactly dealing from a position of strength.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811032 is a reply to message #811031 ]
Sat, 06 August 2022 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Sat, 06 August 2022 02:50

Adam wrote on Fri, 05 August 2022 12:54

I mean Huberdeau is pretty good, but he's no Joffrey Lupul. That's the return you should be looking for when you trade a star player coming of a monster season. icon_wink

Honestly, I don't how Calgary could have done much better on this deal. Huberdeau is a legit star, and if Weeger isn't a top pair defenceman, then he's an excellent top 4. Both are older than Tkachuk and both needed to be re-signed, but Calgary wasn't exactly dealing from a position of strength.

Again - I’m stunned at the haul they got for Tkurtle. I agree - can’t see how they could have done better.

Huberdeau more than replaces Gaudreau. Same age and IMO a more complete player. Signed at reportedly what they were going to give Johnny.

They’re still short a 100 point player, but the addition of Weegar no doubt improves their D. I think he might be their best Dman. And then they’re still left with an extra 1st round pick and a decent prospect they could use to replace at least part of what they lost with Tkurtle. Or they could even sign someone like Kadri to replace a fair chunk of what they lost, both offensive production and agitation.

I’m really annoyed at how well they made out on this trade. They could miraculously end up better after losing 2 100 point players.

Then i remember we got Adam Larsson for Taylor Hall and I’m even more annoyed.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811039 is a reply to message #811032 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I said it in another post, I thought Huberdeau would want to wait to resign. He's probably never spent any longer than a night in a hotel in Calgary on a road trip. So I would have thought you'd want to see what living in Calgary was like before you commit you and your family for the next 9 years who have grew up in Florida to Calgary. I also thought he'd want to see how he handles Sutter who isn't everyone's cup of tea, see how his teammates are and see if the team is good.

But at the same time, I guess he will never have a better time to max out on term or dollars. He's coming off a HUGE career year that he probably won't match again. AND He's the center piece in a big trade with a very desperate team to sign him with Johnny leaving and then trading Tkachuk so they of all teams would be willing to give him the most money and term. I bet that same deal wouldn't be out there next year from anyone. I bet even the Flames don't offer him that same deal next season.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811048 is a reply to message #811039 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Lawson Crouse (University of Phoenix Coyotes) has signed for 5 years @ 4.3 million. I think that's a pretty good dollar figure for a 20 goal scoring left winger.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811051 is a reply to message #811048 ]
Mon, 08 August 2022 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am surprised he would want to commit to them for that long knowing the team will be crap on purpose for probably most if not all of his contract while playing in a arena that is I think smaller than his junior rink capacity wise.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811098 is a reply to message #811051 ]
Tue, 09 August 2022 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Razaa  is currently offline Razaa

No Cups

Easy contract to trade though as long as he keeps putting up the same numbers.

More picks for the U of PC...

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811420 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Mon, 22 August 2022 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Isles signed Dobson for 3 years. Will be curious to see the AAV because it's a good template for Bouch's deal in the case of a bridge, if we were able to sign him ASAP. Bouch will have a far stronger bargaining position than Dobson next summer though if he manages another 30+ ES point season.

Obviously a long term deal for Bouch would be far better than 3 years, but never know how these things will go.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca