This day on April 24
None

Happy Birthday To: foxbird, sspOILERS, hazmat, Tarnom, RankinSpankin

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805037 is a reply to message #804996 ]
Mon, 02 May 2022 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

That game was handed to LA with 5 minutes left. WTH are you thinking there, Smith? Just gotta be better next game, all there is to it.

I thought Hyman skated miles tonight with the puck in the o zone but nothing got to the net. Top line was going most of the night. Oilers had chances, Quick outplayed Smith. Thought Kassian had a good game. JP looking pretty pedestrian out there, I don't mind if he doesn't always bury chances, just get yourself in position and get the chances....and if you're big and fast and you're in an offensive funk, don't be the least physical Oiler on the ice. I guess his <8 minutes reflects the level of play. I'm not sure who you promote on the right side, though. Hate to pick on him but they need him.

Fact is they got in an early hole, came back twice but a dumbass error by Smith leads to a goal shortly after. I expected better, they're a better team than they showed tonight.

Better get the next one or they're in trouble.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805042 is a reply to message #804996 ]
Mon, 02 May 2022 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

That game is on Smith. The team probably played well enough to win. Quick took away a lot of top chances.

McDavid was everywhere, throwing hits, creating chances. Bouchard was a highlight on defense.

I did not like how easy we let plays develop for the Kings.

Kane’s decisions to throw everything at or in front of the net was ticking me off tonight.

Crowd needs more energy, and more than 1 chant. They are cheering MVP for Matthews in Toronto.

Getting really tired of never winning playoff games.

[Updated on: Mon, 02 May 2022 23:30]

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805043 is a reply to message #805042 ]
Mon, 02 May 2022 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 02 May 2022 23:29

That game is on Smith. The team probably played well enough to win. Quick took away a lot of top chances.

McDavid was everywhere, throwing hits, creating chances. Bouchard was a highlight on defense.

I did not like how easy we let plays develop for the Kings.

Kane’s decisions to throw everything at or in front of the net was ticking me off tonight.

Getting really tired of never winning playoff games.

Hey! At least they're in the playoffs now!

It's the same old problem for these Oilers: goaltending and defense. They scored enough to win but didn't because the backend did something dumb / couldn't break a cycle / couldn't slow the rush / couldn't control the middle of the ice / couldn't whatever. Fortunately, a seven game series is a long series. A game 1 lose is easy to recover from.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805050 is a reply to message #805043 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 02 May 2022 23:31

It's the same old problem for these Oilers: goaltending and defense.

...and coaching.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805054 is a reply to message #804996 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Smith!!!

https://c.tenor.com/ofdD0cJ5xQ0AAAAC/you-are-so-dumb-you-are-really-dumb.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805056 is a reply to message #804996 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

New year, same old crap

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805057 is a reply to message #805056 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

A few positives I take from the game.

I don't think the Kings could play much better yet the Oilers generated a lot of chances.

I don't think Quick could play any better and I don't think how he played is sustainable. He probably took 7/8 at least maybe more, what should be for sure goals off the board. It's pretty unlikely that the majority of the goalies in the league can make pushing 10 grade A chance saves.

I don't think the Oilers played even close to their best so chances are they will be better.

Based on the comments of McD, seems like the team got a little overwhelmed by the crowd and the energy and they didn't handle it well. With game 1 under their books, I don't think they will be overwhelmed again.

Smith cost them the game with a pass that I don't think even a dman would make. I don't get why anyone would think that play was a good idea. The positive is it's highly unlikely he will make that play again.

So it took all of that to beat the Oilers and if Smith doesn't do that pass, they probably don't win the game.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805060 is a reply to message #805057 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

To me the key to the series is the 3rd line. The Kings are going to do everything they can to try to neutralized McD and Leon. So the Oilers need production from the 3rd line and they should have an advantage with Nuge being there.

I thought Nuge was lousy last night. He was -2. His dzone coverage wasn't great. Schooled in the faceoff dot again that is with Ryan doing all the faceoffs on Nuge's weak side. The Oilers need their longest serving player to step the hell up finally in the playoffs.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805072 is a reply to message #805057 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

I agree with your assessment, nice to get the nerves outta the way....fingers and toes crossed.

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 08:14

A few positives I take from the game.

I don't think the Kings could play much better yet the Oilers generated a lot of chances.

I don't think Quick could play any better and I don't think how he played is sustainable. He probably took 7/8 at least maybe more, what should be for sure goals off the board. It's pretty unlikely that the majority of the goalies in the league can make pushing 10 grade A chance saves.

I don't think the Oilers played even close to their best so chances are they will be better.

Based on the comments of McD, seems like the team got a little overwhelmed by the crowd and the energy and they didn't handle it well. With game 1 under their books, I don't think they will be overwhelmed again.

Smith cost them the game with a pass that I don't think even a dman would make. I don't get why anyone would think that play was a good idea. The positive is it's highly unlikely he will make that play again.

So it took all of that to beat the Oilers and if Smith doesn't do that pass, they probably don't win the game.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805062 is a reply to message #804996 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

McDavid and Drai are, really, the only reasons to watch and cheer for this team. The D isn't good enough, neither is the goaltending. Not gonna score their way to a 'chip.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805063 is a reply to message #804996 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FRzv8Z3WQAA9Z9n?format=jpg&name=small

jackass

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805064 is a reply to message #805063 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 09:45

jackass

I just don't get it. WHY would you think that is a good idea EVER!! A dman isn't even supposed to make that play. He said he was trying to make a play and do to much. WHAT PLAY!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805065 is a reply to message #805064 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 10:05

jackass

I just don't get it. WHY would you think that is a good idea EVER!! A dman isn't even supposed to make that play. He said he was trying to make a play and do to much. WHAT PLAY!

Cocky bastid just made up his mind he was gonna go for it and nothing else mattered at that point. It's the Smith way.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805067 is a reply to message #805065 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 10:14

jackass

Cocky bastid just made up his mind he was gonna go for it and nothing else mattered at that point. It's the Smith way.

I just don't even know where he was trying to go with that. I don't think the home run pass was there. He actually had a pretty rough night on puck handling, at least two other giveaways too on plays that didn't cost us. One was relatively scary, one didn't really evolve in to anything but he had near options and instead rifled it around the boards to their defenceman.

All that said, it's one game in a long series. We can turn this around pretty quickly still. Hopefully the team settles down a bit more, and then really comes out flying tomorrow. I think overall, despite some nerves and some breakdowns, we outplayed the Kings on the balance of last night. They just had very good goaltending and ours was mediocre at best.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805069 is a reply to message #805067 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 10:32

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 10:14

jackass

I just don't even know where he was trying to go with that. I don't think the home run pass was there. He actually had a pretty rough night on puck handling, at least two other giveaways too on plays that didn't cost us. One was relatively scary, one didn't really evolve in to anything but he had near options and instead rifled it around the boards to their defenceman.

All that said, it's one game in a long series. We can turn this around pretty quickly still. Hopefully the team settles down a bit more, and then really comes out flying tomorrow. I think overall, despite some nerves and some breakdowns, we outplayed the Kings on the balance of last night. They just had very good goaltending and ours was mediocre at best.

If he keeps making those plays, it will be a short series. Can only hope he smartens up I guess.

This is also on Woody now to some degree. McLellan has been outsmarted every playoffs he's ever been in. We need some adjustments on how to handle the Kings top 2 lines and how to try to get the depth guys more involved. McLellan has group of smart 2-way players like he had in San Jose and they are good at counterpunching. Hopefully we can figure something out.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805070 is a reply to message #805069 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 10:36

This is also on Woody now to some degree. McLellan has been outsmarted every playoffs he's ever been in. We need some adjustments on how to handle the Kings top 2 lines and how to try to get the depth guys more involved. McLellan has group of smart 2-way players like he had in San Jose and they are good at counterpunching. Hopefully we can figure something out.

Give this one some time. McLellan always gets outcoached eventually. Once he establishes his baseline, he never deviates.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805071 is a reply to message #805070 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 10:43

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 10:36

Give this one some time. McLellan always gets outcoached eventually. Once he establishes his baseline, he never deviates.

I was thinking that the nice thing is that even if the Oilers keep getting calls on fouls against McDavid and Draisaitl, Todd will never say boo about the refs.

The Oilers special teams looked pretty decent last night too...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805073 is a reply to message #805071 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If the Oilers got grossly outplayed, I'd be worried. They didn't get outplayed.

If the Oilers played their A game like they did against the Jets and still lost, I'd be worried. They didn't play their A game, I am not sure that was even their B game.

If the Kings played a lousy game and won because their goalie stood on his head, I'd be worried. Quick did stand on his head but I don't see the Kings being able to play any better.

The Oilers played sloppy and made a few critical errors that cost them. They didn't handle the crowd very well which McD admitted they didn't. Quick had to stand on head to keep the Kings in it. With all that, they were STILL tied and if not for beyond stupid mistake by Smith, they probably pull that game out.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805074 is a reply to message #805073 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

My view from the stands:

Smith - owns two of those goals. The obvious gaffe, and the soft shot through the 5-hole
Nurse - skated well, caught out of position a few times
Ceci - good. Covered for Nurse well
Barrie - typical Barrie game. Clappers from the point not getting through. Out of position too often
Keith - best Oilers d-man last night. Nice crisp passes, positionally sound.
Bouchard - also played well
Kulak - steady eddie. Knows how not to screw up.
Russell - whatever. Not sure what adding him as an extra really accomplishes, would rather a 12/6 with Brassard in

McD - good game. Only criticism would be trying to drive the gut too many times, and a few poor decisions at trying to go cross-ice through 4 guys
Kane - good game. Physical, drove play, kept cycle alive
Jesse - didn't do much to drive possession so basically did nothing
Drai - average night for Leon, so pretty decent
Hyman - really complete game, checked hard, fought for pucks, invovled
Yamo - can't say more than everyone else has. Stupid penalty, but excellent after that
Nuge - come on Nuge. Do more. Pretty sad year so far after signing the contract.
Foegele - meh. Forechecked well, but wasn't a threat to do much of anything
Ryan - played well on PK, didn't notice him much otherwise
McLeod - thought he looked good, kinda of want to see his speed with McD and Kane
Kassian - did everything I could have realistically hoped for

They aren't dead yet, but I'm scared that one softy to start the game by Smith in game 2 and the season is over.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805075 is a reply to message #805074 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Quick is looking hot out there. So don’t plan on getting more than three goals past him. So Smith needs to drop the nonesense and just mind the pipes, and D stay strong in the middle.

I suspected our playoff run would be exactly the game we played last night given we don’t have solid goaltending or shutdown D. But hopefully they can still find a groove.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805076 is a reply to message #805074 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 11:33

My view from the stands:

Smith - owns two of those goals. The obvious gaffe, and the soft shot through the 5-hole
Barrie - typical Barrie game. Clappers from the point not getting through. Out of position too often
Russell - whatever. Not sure what adding him as an extra really accomplishes, would rather a 12/6 with Brassard in

McD - good game. Only criticism would be trying to drive the gut too many times, and a few poor decisions at trying to go cross-ice through 4 guys
Yamo - can't say more than everyone else has. Stupid penalty, but excellent after that
Nuge - come on Nuge. Do more. Pretty sad year so far after signing the contract.
McLeod - thought he looked good, kinda of want to see his speed with McD and Kane

They aren't dead yet, but I'm scared that one softy to start the game by Smith in game 2 and the season is over.

Kane's passing is strikingly bad, and it was really evident on the 6 on 5 at the end of the game. He tried to force some passes through that had no chance, and at one point he hit the back of the net with a pass, despite being only a couple feet away from it. Decent shooter, decent forechecker, absolutely miserable passer.

It was a little weird to go from seeing Woodcroft roll lines and dominate in the regular season to playing McDavid and Draisaitl huge minutes and having a bunch of guys at 12 mins or less. Maybe that's because we're trailing all night though.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2022 11:40]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805077 is a reply to message #805074 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skoobz wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 11:33

My view from the stands:

Good assessment.

Did it come out what JP was sick with? I thought he was awful last game. I listen to 1260 during the day and even Lowetide who thinks JP walks on water said he was bad and his time on ice says Woody saw the same thing. Under 8 mins.

I try not to bash Nuge too much I do like the guy but mostly because in here and most Oilers sites, Nuge walks on water so if you say anything remotely bad about Nuge, people looks to lynch you. But I am getting sick of waiting for Nuge to do something in the playoffs. They need him to step up.

I thought Foegele was decent actually. Pretty hard to make much of an impact when you get 9 mins. I think he should be playing a bit more.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805078 is a reply to message #805064 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

jackass

Maybe Manson needs to sit a vet goaltender down and tell him to make the simple outlet pass that's available. A rookie D goes to the right spot for such a play, then a goalie whose hubris is larger than the team botches a play. Did Smith even take ownership of the game's outcome? I haven't seen anything.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805080 is a reply to message #805078 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 12:03

jackass

Maybe Manson needs to sit a vet goaltender down and tell him to make the simple outlet pass that's available. A rookie D goes to the right spot for such a play, then a goalie whose hubris is larger than the team botches a play. Did Smith even take ownership of the game's outcome? I haven't seen anything.

He acknowledged the mistake and said just gotta move on and no point thinking about it anymore. Sweep that one under the rug now.

guess just gotta hope moving on means he's not gonna do more bullcrap like that. Not getting my hopes up though!

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2022 12:10]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805081 is a reply to message #805078 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

jackass

Smith didn't drop to his knees, tears in his eyes begging Oilers fans for forgiveness but he did in the presser admit he was trying to make a play, did too much and made a costly mistake. So he did take some.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805083 is a reply to message #805081 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 12:08

jackass

Smith didn't drop to his knees, tears in his eyes begging Oilers fans for forgiveness but he did in the presser admit he was trying to make a play, did too much and made a costly mistake. So he did take some.

He's shown to be an excellent asset in terms of moving the puck, but he can't gamble like that when the stakes are so high. The scoreboard is right there for him to see. Hard 3nough for this team without that stuff. Win or die next game.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805087 is a reply to message #805083 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 11:14

jackass

He's shown to be an excellent asset in terms of moving the puck, but he can't gamble like that when the stakes are so high. The scoreboard is right there for him to see. Hard 3nough for this team without that stuff. Win or die next game.

I find this especially hilarious thinking back to all the times a goalie cussed me out anytime I made a pass up the middle. Smith must have been given the pads one game as a kid, and it stuck, but in his heart he really wanted to be an irresponsible Dman.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805089 is a reply to message #805087 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 13:58

I find this especially hilarious thinking back to all the times a goalie cussed me out anytime I made a pass up the middle. Smith must have been given the pads one game as a kid, and it stuck, but in his heart he really wanted to be an irresponsible Dman.

Oh man. The number of times some guy in a track suit yelled at me as an 8-12 year old for putting the puck anywhere near the center of the ice is almost uncountable. Off the glass and out is cliche for a reason.

Hey, anyone remember that OT pass to McDavid against the Sharks? I guess up the middle is easier when 4 players are missing from the ice.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805097 is a reply to message #805087 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 13:58

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 11:14

jackass

It is BASIC hockey, right? Smith has had animated discussions with several D in game this year, including Duncan Keith. Bouchard should have ripped him a new one.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805082 is a reply to message #805078 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 11:03

They traded Ethan Bear off the team for making a similar play. It's probably still 50/50 that Smith starts the next game.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805104 is a reply to message #805064 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k is currently online g2k

2 Cups

jackass

Because he wanted to be a hero and took the risky selfish route.

Things like this are why I have a problem with him glaring at his D after pretty much every puck that gets by him.

Miss the man….I will not.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805094 is a reply to message #804996 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Not much to say but that was a team choke.. punctuated by a major gaff.
I think what happened in Smith's head is he almost got burned for a goal by shooting the puck up the boards earlier.. then the next time brain-fart audibled and tried to shoot it up ice for a break.. bad decision.

Had enough grade AAA chances to win.. couldn't finish.. Quick was beatable, we just couldn't put the puck where he wasn't.. something is up with Bison.. he was pretty ineffective on the top line.. so much so Woodcraft was cycling in 44.. which isn't ideal.. only pulled 7 1/2 minutes of ice.. not sure if he's still feeling effects of his last illness or what.. he got hooked down by Lemieux on that sequence that created the 4 on 2 for his goal.. his ice time fell after.. not sure if Woody sat him.. or he wasn't 100% ?

Going 11-7 and having your top RW sit didn't help the forward rotation..

Defence still have periods of puck watching in their own zone.. turn their backs on the slot.. shooters sitting free.. oh well.

Re-Group.. Re-focus.. come out harder.. and no penalty in the first 2 minutes to suck out the inertia of the building..

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2022 15:44]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805096 is a reply to message #805094 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I'd strongly consider if I was Woodcroft dropping JP down to Nuge's line. If you are going 11-7, move McLeod up into the top 6. By moving JP down you strengthen the 3rd line which in my opinion is the key to the series. The Kings are going to try to get Kopitar and Dandault out against McD and Leon as much as possible. In theory, Nuge should be better than who ever the Kings have in the bottom 6 at center. So that 3rd line needs to score.

Plus sliding JP down should free him up more to have less pressure on him to score. Like it or not, when you are in the top 6, the expectation is you produce or at least create chances. It would also allow him to be going up against lesser players. He won't be seeing the Kings top 6 forwards or their top 4 dmen as much.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805099 is a reply to message #805096 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 15:54

I'd strongly consider if I was Woodcroft dropping JP down to Nuge's line. If you are going 11-7, move McLeod up into the top 6. By moving JP down you strengthen the 3rd line which in my opinion is the key to the series. The Kings are going to try to get Kopitar and Dandault out against McD and Leon as much as possible. In theory, Nuge should be better than who ever the Kings have in the bottom 6 at center. So that 3rd line needs to score.

Plus sliding JP down should free him up more to have less pressure on him to score. Like it or not, when you are in the top 6, the expectation is you produce or at least create chances. It would also allow him to be going up against lesser players. He won't be seeing the Kings top 6 forwards or their top 4 dmen as much.

I would like to have seen that late in the season, actually. I think it would probably be better not only for Nuge and Foegele, but for JP as well (in terms of play style, quality of opponent) for a bigger role on that line. I want more physicality from him as well. He's lost in between McDavid and transition on the rush and the fact that Kane has the savvy to get to the spots to get the the looks from Connor on that line, and their chemistry. I think anyone can be elevated to L1 in his place and for sure there's not a loss short term. Down in the lineup, JP and Nuge play well together, he gets some moxy back. They need him, and the 3rd line needs a much better game in game 2, not that I pin the -2 on the fwds on those 2 GA...to me it's more getting it done in the other end.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805100 is a reply to message #805099 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 16:46

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 15:54

I would like to have seen that late in the season, actually. I think it would probably be better not only for Nuge and Foegele, but for JP as well (in terms of play style, quality of opponent) for a bigger role on that line. I want more physicality from him as well. He's lost in between McDavid and transition on the rush and the fact that Kane has the savvy to get to the spots to get the the looks from Connor on that line, and their chemistry. I think anyone can be elevated to L1 in his place and for sure there's not a loss short term. Down in the lineup, JP and Nuge play well together, he gets some moxy back. They need him, and the 3rd line needs a much better game in game 2, not that I pin the -2 on the fwds on those 2 GA...to me it's more getting it done in the other end.

Me too. I have seen all the stats boys go on and on whenever someone dares to say anything other than sunshine and rainbows about JP and how apparently when JP is playing with McD, McD's expected points or goals or whatever is slightly higher. But we aren't talking like it's this massive difference where if JP is taken off McD's wing, he stops scoring at a high level. But the impact JP could have replacing Ryan on Nuge's line both in ability and size could be significant.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805098 is a reply to message #804996 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Watched Woodcroft's interview today. Chuckled at Mattheson trying to crap on Jesse as much as possible. Multiple questions trying to get Woodcroft to agree Jesse is playing bad. Woodcroft doesn't bite at all.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2022 16:44]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805101 is a reply to message #805098 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 16:41

Watched Woodcroft's interview today. Chuckled at Mattheson trying to crap on Jesse as much as possible. Multiple questions trying to get Woodcroft to agree Jesse is playing bad. Woodcroft doesn't bite at all.

Man, Woody really went to bat for his goalie there after Rishaugh's question. Smith makes an absolute idiot, game costing play. A play a peewee coach would rip his player for but Woody right away highlights how Smith made a great save right after.

I can appreciate sticking up for your guy and I didn't expect him to rip Smith but man, if Smith doesn't do that stupid play, he doesn't have to make a save at all let along a great one.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805102 is a reply to message #805101 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 15:56

Man, Woody really went to bat for his goalie there after Rishaugh's question. Smith makes an absolute idiot, game costing play. A play a peewee coach would rip his player for but Woody right away highlights how Smith made a great save right after.

I can appreciate sticking up for your guy and I didn't expect him to rip Smith but man, if Smith doesn't do that stupid play, he doesn't have to make a save at all let along a great one.

I don't care how dumb/bad the player is, as a coach (or GM or teammate) never throw a player under the bus. You can only do more harm than good. At most, you publicly say you don't want to see that play happen again.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805103 is a reply to message #805102 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 17:39

I don't care how dumb/bad the player is, as a coach (or GM or teammate) never throw a player under the bus. You can only do more harm than good. At most, you publicly say you don't want to see that play happen again.

Our last 3 coaches disagree with you that it's off-limits to single out individual players and toss them under the bus. I agree though.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805105 is a reply to message #805103 ]
Tue, 03 May 2022 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 17:17

nullterm wrote on Tue, 03 May 2022 17:39

Our last 3 coaches disagree with you that it's off-limits to single out individual players and toss them under the bus. I agree though.

Which might be part of why they aren't here anymore...

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #805154 is a reply to message #804996 ]
Wed, 04 May 2022 14:41 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Jim Matheson @jimmathesonhl
You have to wonder if Mikko Koskinen’s inferior puck handling skills are starting to rub off on Mike Smith. May have cost EDM the game

Fake Matty has the odd gem.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca