This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Tippett firedPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Tippett fired [message #799493 is a reply to message #799447 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Well. Good to know he didn’t consider Babcock

Also that toilet seat reference? 😂🤌🏼

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Tippett fired [message #799494 is a reply to message #799447 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Somebody has gotta tell him this isn’t Detroit and to stop comparing it to Detroit.

Edmonton doesn’t have Nik Lidstrom playing for 20 years.

Clean house or bust

Re: Tippett fired [message #799495 is a reply to message #799494 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Holland still doesn’t understand that it isn’t actually cap dollars in and out because there’s a lot of way as to manage that. He watched several other teams manipulate the cap last deadline and still has zero bleeping clue.

We can’t fire this man fast enough.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Tippett fired [message #799505 is a reply to message #799495 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

4 Detroit references
3 Gut feels
Countless umms and ahhs.

I think this a good move. A little late. Players play for Woodcroft and Manson. We missed an opportunity with Rocky Thompson, but I hope Holland falls into this one and comes out smelling like roses.

Like Adam said though. Holland is out of touch. He’s trying to get Usain Bolt to train for a marathon. This team has a window that should of been open for years. The long game expired when Draisaitl and McDavid signed their second contracts.

Re: Tippett fired [message #799513 is a reply to message #799494 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:21

Somebody has gotta tell him this isn’t Detroit and to stop comparing it to Detroit.

Edmonton doesn’t have Nik Lidstrom playing for 20 years.

Wonder how often he brings up ex girlfriend's to the wife?

Re: Tippett fired [message #799506 is a reply to message #799447 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I laughed when he said he’s not sure what Bakersfield GA is.

He doesn’t even have basic information when hiring the next guy who could coach Connor McDavid’s last season as an Oiler, should it go poorly.

If Jay Woodcroft works out, it will be dumb luck.

Clean house or bust

Re: Tippett fired [message #799508 is a reply to message #799506 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:55

He doesn’t even have basic information when hiring the next guy who could coach Connor McDavid’s last season as an Oiler, should it go poorly.

lol, gut feel is so Oilers. One of MacT's favorite places to go for decision making. The elite guts powered by past success.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Tippett fired [message #799510 is a reply to message #799508 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:01

lol, gut feel is so Oilers. One of MacT's favorite places to go for decision making. The elite guts powered by past success.

Hey, gut feel played a major role in this. Tippett had a gut feel that Smith was the guy last night. They lost, so the gut feel migrated to Tippett. Now, they gotta hope that Keith Gretzky has a gut feel who will coach in the minors. And hopefully someone has a gut feel on what this team needs to start winning again!

I wonder how Holland's gut is feeling about goalies?

Also, I wonder if it makes sense to run things on your gut feel in a place where there's something in the water?

[Updated on: Thu, 10 February 2022 14:25]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Tippett fired [message #799512 is a reply to message #799510 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:20

Hey, gut feel played a major role in this. Tippett had a gut feel that Smith was the guy last night. They lost, so the gut feel migrated to Tippett. Now, they gotta hope that Keith Gretzky has a gut feel who will coach in the minors. And hopefully someone has a gut feel on what this team needs to start winning again!

Also, I wonder if it makes sense to run things on your gut feel in a place where there's something in the water?

We just need a battler.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Tippett fired [message #799521 is a reply to message #799510 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:20

I think this explains why Dallas Eakins came in and tried to get everyone eating right. He identified that as the primary decision making process in Edmonton and wanted to make sure they had a better feeling in their guts. If only we had kept him then things would be going great.

Re: Tippett fired [message #799518 is a reply to message #799447 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

This firing has the same stink that Bob Nicholson saying he believed in Chiarelli’s plan only a couple months (weeks?) before that firing. It makes zero sense that he hadn’t earned a firing over the last stretch, but two bad games suddenly changes things. Why can’t OEG execs have any sort of a plan? How did Katz ever become a billionaire when he hires (and keeps) people like this in his businesses?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Tippett fired [message #799520 is a reply to message #799518 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:55

This firing has the same stink that Bob Nicholson saying he believed in Chiarelli’s plan only a couple months (weeks?) before that firing. It makes zero sense that he hadn’t earned a firing over the last stretch, but two bad games suddenly changes things. Why can’t OEG execs have any sort of a plan? How did Katz ever become a billionaire when he hires (and keeps) people like this in his businesses?

Yep - that's the biggest takeaway. Holland, for all his experience in the game just had no plan. If you believe him, he was thinking about contract extensions 6 weeks ago, but a few bad games, and he got to the point where he decided to fire the coach without really doing any homework around it. Despite getting multiple questions on whether he's considering firing Tippett over the last month, he didn't really contemplate it enough to even figure out what other options might look like.

Makes you think that the Calgary game probably WAS a flex point and Koskinen and the team saved his bacon that night, albeit briefly. That's of course idiotic. You should never have the results of a SINGLE GAME determine the direction of the whole franchise.

If Katz is paying attention to any of this with any more intelligence than the most basic fan in the stands, then he should realize just how bad this management is and how it needs to be changed. I mean, was he making major decisions on Rexall based on whether they had a good or bad week of sales?

Re: Tippett fired [message #799522 is a reply to message #799520 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:07

Yep - that's the biggest takeaway. Holland, for all his experience in the game just had no plan. If you believe him, he was thinking about contract extensions 6 weeks ago, but a few bad games, and he got to the point where he decided to fire the coach without really doing any homework around it. Despite getting multiple questions on whether he's considering firing Tippett over the last month, he didn't really contemplate it enough to even figure out what other options might look like.

Makes you think that the Calgary game probably WAS a flex point and Koskinen and the team saved his bacon that night, albeit briefly. That's of course idiotic. You should never have the results of a SINGLE GAME determine the direction of the whole franchise.

If Katz is paying attention to any of this with any more intelligence than the most basic fan in the stands, then he should realize just how bad this management is and how it needs to be changed. I mean, was he making major decisions on Rexall based on whether they had a good or bad week of sales?

Thinking about this more, can you imagine some of the conversations over the last few years with Katz?

Nicholson: Well, we fired Pete. I guess we need to figure out who's replacing him. My inclination is just to let Keith have the job, but my people tell me the internet boards are all fired up that we should actually do some kind of job search???

Katz: Well, what are you planning?

Nicholson: Ya know, I don't know. Maybe I can ask a bunch of other GMs what they would do in my shoes? I'm sure that they'll help point me in the right direction!

Re: Tippett fired [message #799523 is a reply to message #799518 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What will Holland's parting gift be when he starts to realize he's done? Thinking our 1st round picks go flying away for lousy band aid solutions to the D and goaltending. Then Bobby finally wakes up from his 4 year nap.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Tippett fired [message #799525 is a reply to message #799523 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:29

What will Holland's parting gift be when he starts to realize he's done? Thinking our 1st round picks go flying away for lousy band aid solutions to the D and goaltending.

It would almost make sense for Ken to pull a Pistol Pete on his way out of town as a final big middle finger to the team and city.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Tippett fired [message #799526 is a reply to message #799523 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

What will Holland's parting gift be when he starts to realize he's done? Thinking our 1st round picks go flying away for lousy band aid solutions to the D and goaltending. Then Bobby finally wakes up from his 4 year nap.

You see Emily Cave’s post about the Tipps? There’s a pic of her and Dave’s wife and Mr Burgers is in the background... looks half cut.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Tippett fired [message #799531 is a reply to message #799526 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:35

You see Emily Cave’s post about the Tipps? There’s a pic of her and Dave’s wife and Mr Burgers is in the background... looks half cut.

I don't think I've seen Nicholson at any time in the last 5 years without a beaming red face. I think he likes the Gretzky Red as much as the proprietor does.

Regarding Emily Cave's post - it's nice to hear that Tippett is a good guy. I hope he doesn't read Oilfans, and I always think it's important to be civil about guys - even if they aren't good at their job. I don't think that's enough for me to believe they should still be employed though.

I wish Tippett all the best, and I hope he catches on with a divisional rival. The Sharks aren't yet employing an ex-Oilers coach, for example. I am pretty thrilled he isn't the coach of the Oilers any more though. I even updated my signature on here.

Re: Tippett fired [message #799535 is a reply to message #799531 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:09

I don't think I've seen Nicholson at any time in the last 5 years without a beaming red face. I think he likes the Gretzky Red as much as the proprietor does.

Regarding Emily Cave's post - it's nice to hear that Tippett is a good guy. I hope he doesn't read Oilfans, and I always think it's important to be civil about guys - even if they aren't good at their job. I don't think that's enough for me to believe they should still be employed though.

I wish Tippett all the best, and I hope he catches on with a divisional rival. The Sharks aren't yet employing an ex-Oilers coach, for example. I am pretty thrilled he isn't the coach of the Oilers any more though. I even updated my signature on here.

I can see him either stepping away from the game or getting on with Seattle or Arizona in some capacity.

All accounts Dave is a great guy. Sad that he’s out of a job but it’s a results business that he was employed in and unfortunately the man above him didn’t give him the tools required for positive results. Regardless of his shortcomings; refusal to call TOs, going back to the McDrai well whenever things going south, Holland failed him.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Tippett fired [message #799537 is a reply to message #799535 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:14

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:09

I can see him either stepping away from the game or getting on with Seattle or Arizona in some capacity.

All accounts Dave is a great guy. Sad that he’s out of a job but it’s a results business that he was employed in and unfortunately the man above him didn’t give him the tools required for positive results. Regardless of his shortcomings; refusal to call TOs, going back to the McDrai well whenever things going south, Holland failed him.

For what it's worth, I'm all for firing Ken Holland too.

Although no matter who the GM was, I would not want Dave Tippett to be our coach, no matter how nice he is.

Re: Tippett fired [message #799538 is a reply to message #799531 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

It's not surprising that keyboard warriors in the twitter universe could trash the guy. The amount of ugliness that happens in this site, I am sure pales to twitter than can be a true cesspool. It's too bad that it didn't work out for him. Sports is a tough business and something had to change but people lost their jobs today and that in my books isn't something people should be making fun of or celebrating. But that isn't how many people roll on consequence less social media.

Re: Tippett fired [message #799541 is a reply to message #799538 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:20

It's not surprising that keyboard warriors in the twitter universe could trash the guy. The amount of ugliness that happens in this site, I am sure pales to twitter than can be a true cesspool. It's too bad that it didn't work out for him. Sports is a tough business and something had to change but people lost their jobs today and that in my books isn't something people should be making fun of or celebrating. But that isn't how many people roll on consequence less social media.

Keyboard warriors? Come on. Haven't you been loudly complaining about people simply not working hard enough and forgetting to show up for puck drop? Don't be so pious. No one here has said anything terrible about Dave Tippett, the person. But we should be allowed to discuss how bad his decision making has been and the impact that has had on the team many people still pay to watch. Dave Tippett, the hockey coach, is fair game. The same should be true for Tippett's former bosses. I'm not being a keyboard warrior when I say Tippett is bad at his job. Holland is also bad at his job. So is Nicholson. Same for Lowe, the goalie coach, half the defensemen, our starting goalie, and every single scout the Oilers employ.

I doubt many people here watch sports hoping that everyone does well and has a good time. We know, especially here, that for someone to win someone else has to lose. This isn't economics or politics. Sports is a true zero sum game. I see no problem with people acknowledging the hard reality that this firing likely makes their team more likely to win in the short term. That's probably tough on the public figures who are part of the games we watch, but I don't think it's an unknown principle to them. Perform better or be disposed of.

Now, maybe Adam shouldn't be suggesting executives go to games and imbibe a little too much. That's probably fair. He doesn't actually know who is drinking or if they have any unrelated health issue. But this seems to be a failing of the Oilers and the one place they don't are about public relations. Why they'd allow their broadcast partners to show a drunk Gretzky and possible tipsy Bobby Nicks is beyond me. Moreover, I don't think it is our job to pretend what we have seen didn't happen. I've seen reasonably drunk Gretzky on my TV. I'm not going to pretend otherwise.

Here's some Joe Namath. I still blame the broadcaster. No way should that dude have been on camera.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Tippett fired [message #799595 is a reply to message #799541 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

wait... we have a starting goalie?

Re: Tippett fired [message #799539 is a reply to message #799526 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

He looks like he’s eyeing the buffet, but doesn’t want to ruin his wine buzz.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Tippett fired [message #799542 is a reply to message #799518 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

There's a possibility that he's just not giving anything to the stellar Edmonton media, but you would think that executives at that pay grade would have a plan in their pocket for nearly every eventuality which is a NORMAL occurence in the industry and many that aren't. Hell, I could get into and go on and on about the things that I have to react to as an owner of a small business, and it's an easier process when consideration has been given to the 'what ifs'.

He should have been giving thought to Tip's future nearly a month ago, perhaps after bowing out to the Jets, perhaps after the Chicago debacle in the bubble.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 February 2022 17:41]

Re: Tippett fired [message #799552 is a reply to message #799447 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim is currently online Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I think they should have used Gully.
Now they bring in Woody.. I suspect the outcome will not be any better.. then at the end of the year you have painted yourself into a corner.. sign him as HC and hope he has better "luck" next year.. or hire another unemployed NHL head coach after the season's over.. if you don't hire Woody.. he's gone.. not going bak to Bako.. and you've lost a great developement pipeline..

Prediction, losses will continue.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Tippett fired [message #799556 is a reply to message #799552 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Good start, but in my heart of hearts, I really believe that this team will continue to languish in mediocrity or worse until the rot at the top of the organization excised. Holland, Nicholson and most importantly IMO, Lowe all need to go.

There is absolutely no excuse for this org to still be struggling the way it is with the studs they've been gifted and an owner that has not only allowed them to spend to the cap, but also continuously keep paying for their stupidity with buyouts.

Re: Tippett fired [message #799567 is a reply to message #799556 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 08:41

Good start, but in my heart of hearts, I really believe that this team will continue to languish in mediocrity or worse until the rot at the top of the organization excised. Holland, Nicholson and most importantly IMO, Lowe all need to go.

There is absolutely no excuse for this org to still be struggling the way it is with the studs they've been gifted and an owner that has not only allowed them to spend to the cap, but also continuously keep paying for their stupidity with buyouts.

Somebody needs to convince KLowe that after a career that began with the first assist in franchise history and end in the hall of fame, with 6 cups and nearly as many #1 overall picks, there’s nothing left for him to prove. He can still host red wine nights in Kelowna each summer, but he shouldn’t have to put in a 9-11 shift 5 days a week.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Tippett fired [message #799585 is a reply to message #799447 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Finally watched some of the presser.

Holland's plan until recently was to sign Tippett to an extension?!?

https://media1.giphy.com/media/10JhviFuU2gWD6/giphy.gif

I really thought the only thing keeping Tip here was Holland's not firing a coach part way through a season principle. Nope, Holland was holdin on for dear life like Mact to Eakins. Maybe the order really did come from above.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Tippett fired [message #799593 is a reply to message #799585 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 12:51

I really thought the only thing keeping Tip here was Holland's not firing a coach part way through a season principle. Nope, Holland was holdin on for dear life like Mact to Eakins. Maybe the order really did come from above.

Well I think he like most of us probably had it in his mind that the Oilers would be cruising along doing well and if there were, Tippett would be part of the reason.

Did you want the GM going into the year thinking the team will crash and burn and he'd be firing him regardless if you liked Tippett or not before the season started? I am assuming since you come to an Oilers fan site, you actually want them to win don't you?

Re: Tippett fired [message #799596 is a reply to message #799593 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 15:20

Well I think he like most of us probably had it in his mind that the Oilers would be cruising along doing well and if there were, Tippett would be part of the reason.

Did you want the GM going into the year thinking the team will crash and burn and he'd be firing him regardless if you liked Tippett or not before the season started? I am assuming since you come to an Oilers fan site, you actually want them to win don't you?

Would have liked the GM to recognize Tippett had been out of his element 2 playoffs in a row and we have been one of the worst performing 5v5 teams in the league for a while, which is a joke with 2 of the best players in the game who have seen their own metrics decline as well through Tippett's tenure.

Has been super clear how stale Tippett's coaching was getting and how completely out of ideas he was aside from hoping special teams would save the day every night.

How Holland would hoping still any time recently that he could extend Tippett instead of bringing in a new voice is a joke IMO.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Tippett fired [message #799599 is a reply to message #799596 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 15:30

Would have liked the GM to recognize Tippett had been out of his element 2 playoffs in a row and we have been one of the worst performing 5v5 teams in the league for a while, which is a joke with 2 of the best players in the game who have seen their own metrics decline as well through Tippett's tenure.

Has been super clear how stale Tippett's coaching was getting and how completely out of ideas he was aside from hoping special teams would save the day every night.

How Holland would hoping still any time recently that he could extend Tippett instead of bringing in a new voice is a joke IMO.

So you wanted the GM to go up there and trash his former coach.

Are you in management at all for your job? I am. Unless the person robs the company, when people were let go, we don't carve the person up in front of people.

I don't get what trashing/picking apart a guy does other maybe pleasing vindictive fans. He fired the guy mid season because it wasn't working out and the team wasn't where everyone wanted.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 February 2022 15:43]

Re: Tippett fired [message #799601 is a reply to message #799599 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 15:35

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 15:30

So you wanted the GM to go up there and trash his former coach.

Are you in management at all for your job? I am. Unless the person robs the company, when people were let go, we don't carve the person up in front of people.

I don't get what trashing/picking apart a guy does other maybe pleasing vindictive fans. He fired the guy mid season because it wasn't working out and the team wasn't where everyone wanted.

Is there any reason for Holland to say he was planning to extend Tippett if that wasn't true? I don't think so. So, he was planning to extend Tippett, which is laughable. Simple as that.

There is not bashing someone, and then there is letting people know for no good reason you were planning to do something dumb because you're just a rambling open book. There was all kinds of room in the middle there that could have got through this without going in either of those directions.

Would you tell people that you were, until just recently, looking to give a new lucrative contract to someone that was doing a lousy job that you just fired? Seems like something that would reflect badly on you.

After months of poor performance, "I had to fire ____, I thank him for his work, I feel the team did make progress under his leadership, but unfortunately it was time for a change. Oh, and by the way, I was just recently thinking of giving him a multi-year extension! Just in case you wanted insight of how I was processing the situation leading up to him completely losing the room and needing to be fired!"

[Updated on: Fri, 11 February 2022 15:51]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Tippett fired [message #799608 is a reply to message #799601 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

So I've seen a few places where commentators have talked about the Oilers going through too many coaches with McDavid. Now, we all know that prior to McDavid they were going through about a coach a season, so someone like RNH probably has had more NHL coaches than anyone else without switching teams. But if we look at just McDavid, then as of tonight the number will be 4. So I looked at 30 NHL teams since the 2015-16 season (excluding Vegas and Seattle for obvious reasons) to see if the Oilers did have more coaches than average over that period. I had 2 categories, # of coaches total, and number of coaches that coached for full seasons (under the assumption that any coach that has not been fired this season will not be fired).

So the average number of coaches since 2015-16 is 2.97, and the average number of coaches that have coached complete seasons is 2.37. So the Oilers are over on total coaches, but the is because they have now made 2 mid season replacements, with one of those replacements not continuing as coach the following season (which normally is not what happens). Ten teams total had at least 4 coaches in that span, with Calgary having the most with 6 (counting Ryan Huska who was their coach for 2 games between Peters and Sutter) and Florida has had 5. Calgary, Buffalo, and Dallas are the leaders with coaches for complete seasons, all with 4. Tampa Day and Detroit are the only ones who have not changed coaches once since McDavid came into the league, which is interesting since one team has probably been the best team in the league over that span and the other has likely been the worst.

So the Oilers have switched coaches a lot, but they aren't changing coaches at a rate much higher than most teams over the same period.

Re: Tippett fired [message #799614 is a reply to message #799608 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 18:56 Go to previous message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 16:09

So the Oilers have switched coaches a lot, but they aren't changing coaches at a rate much higher than most teams over the same period.

I think one could argue they haven't changed coaches enough. Not trying hard enough to find the right brain. And it's one aspect that has no cap hit implications.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: NY Islanders @ Edmonton (Game #39)
Next Topic:Oilers Sign Brad Malone
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca