This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45)Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797921 is a reply to message #797920 ]
Thu, 20 January 2022 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2022 23:34

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 January 2022 23:28

Uh oh. Someone let Ryan Rishaug off the leash tonight!

Quote:

Ryan Rishaug
@TSNRyanRishaug
The poor goaltending on this team is fully on Ken Holland. 2 years in a row he failed to address it, and now he is seeing it crush the spirit of his team. The Oilers showed up to play tonight, and goaltending (theirs and Floridas) decimated a fragile team again...

He's giving up on getting that next big scoop!

It could be a setup. Everyone wants to blame just goaltending. Holland can still blame Chia for the kostko deal. But now he can get credit for trying as we get hoses in a goalie trade.

What do you think we're going to give for Marc-Andre Fleury, who could have been had for free when we were over-paying for Duncan Keith?

Not often you get to get taken to the woodshed on two deals with the same team but different GMs within a calendar year...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797941 is a reply to message #797921 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 January 2022 23:37

Quote:

Ryan Rishaug
@TSNRyanRishaug
The poor goaltending on this team is fully on Ken Holland. 2 years in a row he failed to address it, and now he is seeing it crush the spirit of his team. The Oilers showed up to play tonight, and goaltending (theirs and Floridas) decimated a fragile team again...

It could be a setup. Everyone wants to blame just goaltending. Holland can still blame Chia for the kostko deal. But now he can get credit for trying as we get hoses in a goalie trade.

What do you think we're going to give for Marc-Andre Fleury, who could have been had for free when we were over-paying for Duncan Keith?

Not often you get to get taken to the woodshed on two deals with the same team but different GMs within a calendar year...

Not sure Alan Walsh is going to do much to convince Flower that Edmonton is a place to pick, especially after the saga of elite defenseman William Lagesson.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797922 is a reply to message #797920 ]
Thu, 20 January 2022 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Ryan Rishaug
@TSNRyanRishaug

Worth noting - the goaltending wasn't the issue until the third period. That first goal was a pretty nice set up, and Barkov had the puck back off his stick the second it touched his tape. He's 6 feet out with an open look with the goaltender having to come all the way across the net. The second was horribly defended. Verhaeghe with all the time in the world from the kill zone to make a shot off the bar. I have no real issue with Koskinen on either of those. A couple of the ones in the third were weak, but I mean, we scored no goals. I'm far from a fan of Koskinen's but I think it's hard to hang this one all on him.

We're a fire drill in our own end lately and giving up way too many great looks to teams. And our penalty kill is looking pretty mediocre right now too. With those things happening, and no longer scoring on half our powerplays, I don't know that it matters entirely who the goalie is.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797940 is a reply to message #797922 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I had a different take on goals 1 and 2. Koski got into position and had a completely unimpeded view of the shot. Both still found their way in, this first HIT HIS GLOVE but he didn't catch it. For a normal goalie I'd say that could have been a bad bounce and bad luck, but those kind of things happen so often, Koski can't be excused for it.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797944 is a reply to message #797940 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 09:02

I had a different take on goals 1 and 2. Koski got into position and had a completely unimpeded view of the shot. Both still found their way in, this first HIT HIS GLOVE but he didn't catch it. For a normal goalie I'd say that could have been a bad bounce and bad luck, but those kind of things happen so often, Koski can't be excused for it.

They're both shots from players in killer areas with zero pressure on them from any defenders. And watch goal #1 again. There is zero time that the puck is on Barkov's stick. I don't even know if it hit the ice before he hit it.

If you look at where goalies are weakest, it's when they're moving all the way across the net, and when the player releases quickly. One-timers are hard to stop.

If we're arguing that that goal shouldn't go in, then there's a lot of goalies out there who should be ashamed that Draisaitl scores that one timer on the powerplay.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797984 is a reply to message #797944 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

he flubbed the shot. It wasn't a Draisaitl or OV cannon one timer. It flubbed and went off the glove and in, side to side or not, he was in position and watching the puck.
As I said, another goalie, or if it weren't an every game scenario, he'd be given some slack. He's not, it's not so he gets none.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797986 is a reply to message #797984 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 13:52

he flubbed the shot. It wasn't a Draisaitl or OV cannon one timer. It flubbed and went off the glove and in, side to side or not, he was in position and watching the puck.
As I said, another goalie, or if it weren't an every game scenario, he'd be given some slack. He's not, it's not so he gets none.

One-timer on a shot where the goalie is moving. It's a huge save if he makes it.

The fact is, you don't want to give up point blank opportunities to star players very often because the save percentage on those is going to be really low. The rush goal in the third period with the shot from the top of the face-off circle? That's a weak goal. The one-timer out of the air on the cross crease pass? Not a weak goal.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797925 is a reply to message #797917 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Quote:

Ryan Rishaug
@TSNRyanRishaug

Why is Rishaug so pissy?

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797926 is a reply to message #797925 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/no-goals-no-goaltending -no-answers-oilers-simply-look-lost/

Spector wades in - suggesting he won't be surprised if Tippett gets the axe, but more fault lies with Holland, then he blames McDavid and Draisaitl and the goalie - including a shot at the two superstars for "making more news in the media room than on the ice these days".

Brutal - although interesting to see the knives pointing at Holland here. Either A) they feel they have more loyalty to the coach who's about to walk the plank here, and they're saying this to show that support or B) they are hearing from someone higher up that they may make a decision on Holland at some point so they have a little more latitude to poke at him. I mean, it could be C) that they've heard the onslaught of fan voices blaming the coach and GM, but I doubt that's it.

Noticeably, no one has criticized "Bobby Nicks" yet.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797927 is a reply to message #797926 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Nicholson should have a much larger bullseye than anyone in this city right now.

He’s the idiot that brought in Chiarelli and sat on his hands while Panicky Pete put the team back a decade with bad decisions. Then he fires Chiarelli, pulls a dumb “Look at me Larry” move and states to the media he will be canvassing other team GM’s in the meetings in Florida on what type of GM the Oilers should be coveting. Katz should have known right there Bob was the wrong guy for the position, but he let Bob try to fix the mistake. Bob felt Holland was a safe easy choice. Much less homework required. The media will think Bob is a genius for acquiring THE Ken Holland. Holland has made some really poor bets. Really poor. Bob was very wrong about Holland. Holland is an overrated trust fund GM. Now what Bob?

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797934 is a reply to message #797927 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Do people outside of semi-obsessive online communities remember Bobby Nicks still exists? I can't think of the last time he had any of the spotlight. You can't even get a burger now and think of past glories hope.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797938 is a reply to message #797934 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 08:44

Do people outside of semi-obsessive online communities remember Bobby Nicks still exists? I can't think of the last time he had any of the spotlight. You can't even get a burger now and think of past glories hope.

I think people still remember Bob. He's got no shortage of twitter abuse the last few weeks. Kevin Lowe's got enough insulation now though...I've seen virtually no one calling for his head now.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797943 is a reply to message #797938 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 09:02

I think people still remember Bob. He's got no shortage of twitter abuse the last few weeks. Kevin Lowe's got enough insulation now though...I've seen virtually no one calling for his head now.

Lowe of course was the biggest pumper of Nicholson to Katz.

Yeah, we're screwed.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797960 is a reply to message #797938 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Fire Kevin Lowe.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797961 is a reply to message #797960 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 11:22

Fire Kevin Lowe.

How much higher can we fire him though? Already alternate governor. What's above that? Katz is governor so can't be that. OEG Jesus?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797963 is a reply to message #797961 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 11:24

Fire Kevin Lowe.

How much higher can we fire him though? Already alternate governor. What's above that? Katz is governor so can't be that. OEG Jesus?

At this point he'd have to marry Katz' daughter to be promoted any further.

What about this though, Katz joins the billionaire space race, invites Lowe for a rocket ship ride and they take a wrong turn (because nobody is steering the ship) and land on the sun

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797964 is a reply to message #797963 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 11:29

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 11:24

Fire Kevin Lowe.

At this point he'd have to marry Katz' daughter to be promoted any further.

What about this though, Katz joins the billionaire space race, invites Lowe for a rocket ship ride and they take a wrong turn (because nobody is steering the ship) and land on the sun

Oilersnation watching the sun landing

https://c.tenor.com/-yg0BMY_U2wAAAAC/crowd-cheering-crowd.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797902 is a reply to message #797873 ]
Thu, 20 January 2022 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Guys Adam Larsson looked great tonight in a big win for the Kraken. What do you think it would take to get a player like that? Problem is teams just don't trade those guys.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797913 is a reply to message #797902 ]
Thu, 20 January 2022 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 20 January 2022 22:45

Guys Adam Larsson looked great tonight in a big win for the Kraken. What do you think it would take to get a player like that? Problem is teams just don't trade those guys.

we have one... Limelienan (sp) of course he's injured... and TIPPETT is afraid to sit Barrie... but he will be a difference maker... under a different coach.

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797923 is a reply to message #797873 ]
Thu, 20 January 2022 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FJmnA5iVcAEf5Vd?format=jpg&name=small

Ouch.

Who's the #1 prospect this year again? Maybe we SHOULD just hang on to that pick...

[Updated on: Thu, 20 January 2022 23:51]

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797946 is a reply to message #797923 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oilers came out and were absolutely all over the Panther in the first. Bob made, 5 maybe more 10 bell saves in the first. Maybe the Oilers best period all year. Gave Florida nothing. Probably should have been 2-0 at least for the Oilers, get nothing for it. Fine. Keep it going.

I thought the first goal was terrible. It wasn't a bang bang play. PK made it so Reinhart had to make a fantastic pass overtop a guy which gave Koskinen ample time to get over there which he was. Not like Barkov made a unbelievable shot. I am not even sure he got all of it. Goes right through him. COME ONE! Make a flipping save!!!

Down 1.

Still in it. Doing alright.

Second goal. They lost sight of the man for a second. Reinhart made a damn good pass, the finish was pretty damn good. Goals happen. Move on.

3rd goal. Barkov is a really good player, shot was hard, he's a big dude. It was a 30+ft unscreened wrist shot low to the glove side. I can't really say the defense made a mistake. I guess maybe someone could have tried to light up Barkov at the blueline but my god, if your defense can't give up a shot from that distance, with no traffic, you are screwed. The expectation can't be no shot ever gets through to the goalie. Would it have been a good save? Probably but make a freaking save!!!! You are 6'7 for god sake, you should be able to cover the whole bottom of the net so that shouldn't go in.

The 3rd goal was the back breaker in my opinion because they were playing pretty well, Bob is standing on his head and their goalie can't make a flipping save what so ever.. All hope was gone at that point for the team.

4th goal. The game was over at that point. Puck somehow goes through Koskinen, bounces around, hits some sticks or skates, goes to Duclair slams it in. Kind of an unfortunate goal. Do I blame Koskinen on that? Not really but similar scrums were happening at the other end and they weren't going in on Bob. So I don't know. Oilers are getting zero bounces, Florida got a bounce.

5th goal. At that point the team had given up. I don't blame them. Bennett goes to the goal. Cuts to the goal sort of. Not like he makes an incredible move, dangles around guys and goes bar down. Floats a back hander at Koskinen, goes in far side. Just a horrible goal. Should never go in. Does it really matter for the outcome of the game? No but just an exclamation point on another brutal outing by Koskinen.

6th goal. The team gave up. Personally I think they just said F it to Koskinen at that point. You don't want the team giving up looks like that but I don't think they cared. Good shot, quick, shot. But unscreened and low. Was it a bad goal... not really but again Bob was probably making that save, no chance Koskinen was.

Oilers played well enough to win for 2 periods, deserved to have a goal or 2. Other teams goalie stood on his head, they didn't get a single save.

They are screwed.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797950 is a reply to message #797946 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 10:13

Oilers came out and were absolutely all over the Panther in the first. Bob made, 5 maybe more 10 bell saves in the first. Maybe the Oilers best period all year. Gave Florida nothing. Probably should have been 2-0 at least for the Oilers, get nothing for it. Fine. Keep it going.

I thought the first goal was terrible. It wasn't a bang bang play. PK made it so Reinhart had to make a fantastic pass overtop a guy which gave Koskinen ample time to get over there which he was. Not like Barkov made a unbelievable shot. I am not even sure he got all of it. Goes right through him. COME ONE! Make a flipping save!!!

Down 1.

Second goal. They lost sight of the man for a second. Reinhart made a damn good pass, the finish was pretty damn good. Goals happen. Move on.

3rd goal. Barkov is a really good player, shot was hard, he's a big dude. It was a 30+ft unscreened wrist shot low to the glove side. I can't really say the defense made a mistake. I guess maybe someone could have tried to light up Barkov at the blueline but my god, if your defense can't give up a shot from that distance, with no traffic, you are screwed. The expectation can't be no shot ever gets through to the goalie. Would it have been a good save? Probably but make a freaking save!!!! You are 6'7 for god sake, you should be able to cover the whole bottom of the net so that shouldn't go in.

The 3rd goal was the back breaker in my opinion because they were playing pretty well, Bob is standing on his head and their goalie can't make a flipping save what so ever.. All hope was gone at that point for the team.

4th goal. The game was over at that point. Puck somehow goes through Koskinen, bounces around, hits some sticks or skates, goes to Duclair slams it in. Kind of an unfortunate goal. Do I blame Koskinen on that? Not really but similar scrums were happening at the other end and they weren't going in on Bob. So I don't know. Oilers are getting zero bounces, Florida got a bounce.

5th goal. At that point the team had given up. I don't blame them. Bennett goes to the goal. Cuts to the goal sort of. Not like he makes an incredible move, dangles around guys and goes bar down. Floats a back hander at Koskinen, goes in far side. Just a horrible goal. Should never go in. Does it really matter for the outcome of the game? No but just an exclamation point on another brutal outing by Koskinen.

6th goal. The team gave up. Personally I think they just said F it to Koskinen at that point. You don't want the team giving up looks like that but I don't think they cared. Good shot, quick, shot. But unscreened and low. Was it a bad goal... not really but again Bob was probably making that save, no chance Koskinen was.

Oilers played well enough to win for 2 periods, deserved to have a goal or 2. Other teams goalie stood on his head, they didn't get a single save.

They are screwed.

I may have missed some of our chances, but the ones I saw, we really just defeated ourselves. Shooting directly into Bobo or off the post. Credit to him being in position but we don't make him really move at all to react to the shot. He's there, we shoot into him. While Florida is actually shooting at the areas of open net.

Lots of the chances we couldn't get the shot we wanted too because Florida guys are chopping away and messing with Oilers taking shots. We are far more generous letting guys pick their spots uninterrupted. We were close to lots of pucks looking at an open net with Bobo out of position, but a Florida defender was always right on top of us.

I just have a hard time thinking we deserved that much better. We know there is minimal shooting talent on this roster. Brownie points for trying hard, but if we keep shooting like that we are in for many more moral victory for effort nights.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2022 10:24]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797951 is a reply to message #797950 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 10:20

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 10:13

Down 1.

They are screwed.

I may have missed some of our chances, but the ones I saw, we really just defeated ourselves. Shooting directly into Bobo or off the post. Credit to him being in position but we don't make him really move at all to react to the shot. He's there, we shoot into him. While Florida is actually shooting at the areas of open net.

Lots of the chances we couldn't get the shot we wanted too because Florida guys are chopping away and messing with Oilers taking shots. We are far more generous letting guys pick their spots uninterrupted.

I just have a hard time thinking we deserved that much better. We know there is minimal shooting talent on this roster. Brownie points for trying hard, but if we keep shooting like that we are in for many more moral victory for effort nights.

They grossly out chanced them in the first and Bob stood on his head. I think the shots were like high 20's almost 30 something to like 12-13 and they were down 2 or 3 nothing. On top of the fact the hit a bunch of posts.

I do not agree with your take on how Florida was getting all these open looks from great spots. The second goal, yes, a break down. But the first goal was a PP goal so you are outmanned but it should never have gone in. He was literally right there waiting for the guy to shoot, Barkov partially fanned on the shot and it went right through his glove. That should never go in. The 3rd goal was like I said, an unscreened wrist shot from distance. He saw it the whole way. You can't let that in. He's a paid professional, his job is to make good saves. If as a team your defense can never ever give up a shot from anywhere, or the shots you give up are dribblers, you have zero chance.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797952 is a reply to message #797873 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ken Holland @FakeOilersGM
https://i.ibb.co/gvDSFFS/Holland.jpg

Ken Holland @FakeOilersGM
This isn't Wordle. It's the @EdmontonOilers record in the last 15 games.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797971 is a reply to message #797873 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm seeing reports mentioning that Kassian played in this game.

https://c.tenor.com/53mO4htkMIYAAAAM/i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797973 is a reply to message #797971 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 12:33

I'm seeing reports mentioning that Kassian played in this game.

https://c.tenor.com/53mO4htkMIYAAAAM/i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

What do you think the Kassian return could've been if we offloaded him following the big McDavid bump season?

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797987 is a reply to message #797873 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Credit where it’s due. The #Panthers are a calm, focused team. The Oilers were doing very well in the first, but they were not being patient with the puck. Too many times they bobbled the puck, missed passes, rushed plays, and looking frazzled. Their level of try is there.

That is what I tweeted last night and it holds true today after that debacle. There is nothing the oilers could really do when they are so weak on defense and goaltending.

Kassian doesn't have it anymore. Just filling a roster spot. Turris on waivers. They have no offense besides 97 and 29 and if they are going to be covered all night, there is no way the team is going to be successful.

Covering McDavid and Drai used to happen in the playoffs and we got kicked out in 4 straight. Now the teams are like, why wait until the playoffs when we can do it now.

This is what we are seeing.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797988 is a reply to message #797987 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 14:00

Credit where it’s due. The #Panthers are a calm, focused team. The Oilers were doing very well in the first, but they were not being patient with the puck. Too many times they bobbled the puck, missed passes, rushed plays, and looking frazzled. Their level of try is there.

That is what I tweeted last night and it holds true today after that debacle. There is nothing the oilers could really do when they are so weak on defense and goaltending.

Kassian doesn't have it anymore. Just filling a roster spot. Turris on waivers. They have no offense besides 97 and 29 and if they are going to be covered all night, there is no way the team is going to be successful.

Covering McDavid and Drai used to happen in the playoffs and we got kicked out in 4 straight. Now the teams are like, why wait until the playoffs when we can do it now.

Hey, the coach told the media that they had a work ethic issue and then had them do battle drills all week, which only resulted in the injury of one player...

Who'd have thought that wasn't the recipe for success?

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797989 is a reply to message #797988 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 14:06

Hey, the coach told the media that they had a work ethic issue and then had them do battle drills all week, which only resulted in the injury of one player...

Who'd have thought that wasn't the recipe for success?

You mean the coach was wrong? Fascinating?! I had lots of runway for Tip and that's all but gone..

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797996 is a reply to message #797987 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Florida is such a fun team to watch. When you look at their roster you can start to imagine what the Oilers could have been. High end talent with Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, and Weeagar. A great supporting cast with Verhaeghe, Reinhart, Duclair, and Bennett. Really interesting guys filling out the roster like Lundell, Luostar, Gudas, and Montour. They're so deep I forget they have Owen Tippett until he scores.

If I was going to bandwagon, I'd bandwagon them.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #797998 is a reply to message #797996 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 15:47

Florida is such a fun team to watch. When you look at their roster you can start to imagine what the Oilers could have been. High end talent with Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, and Weeagar. A great supporting cast with Verhaeghe, Reinhart, Duclair, and Bennett. Really interesting guys filling out the roster like Lundell, Luostar, Gudas, and Montour. They're so deep I forget they have Owen Tippett until he scores.

If I was going to bandwagon, I'd bandwagon them.

I just found it odd seeing Tippett succeed 😏

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798002 is a reply to message #797996 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 14:47

I remember when Duclair was bouncing around looking for a team, skilled, fast, available cheap.. I remember thinking at the time, that is a player that the Oilers should be focusing on.. nada. There is your problem rearing its ugly head again.. pro-scouting.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798008 is a reply to message #798002 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 16:07

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 14:47

I remember when Duclair was bouncing around looking for a team, skilled, fast, available cheap.. I remember thinking at the time, that is a player that the Oilers should be focusing on.. nada. There is your problem rearing its ugly head again.. pro-scouting.

Duclair is one of those guys that reminds you of Moneyball a little. All the guy does is score, but all you ever heard about him is that he's an ugly skater.

I think that's the kind of player that you can find some real value in. It doesn't matter how pretty he looks gliding down the ice. If he can contribute goals, then he's potentially worth having. Maroon produced better than a lot of great skaters with McDavid. Craig Simpson wasn't fleet of foot like his linemates in Anderson and Messier, but he put up numbers. Dave Andreychuk was absolutely lead-footed and scored 600 goals - and more PP goals than anyone in history. But I think the scene with the old scouts in that movie plays itself out in the NHL again and again.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798011 is a reply to message #798008 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 15:11

Duclair is one of those guys that reminds you of Moneyball a little. All the guy does is score, but all you ever heard about him is that he's an ugly skater.

I think that's the kind of player that you can find some real value in. It doesn't matter how pretty he looks gliding down the ice. If he can contribute goals, then he's potentially worth having. Maroon produced better than a lot of great skaters with McDavid. Craig Simpson wasn't fleet of foot like his linemates in Anderson and Messier, but he put up numbers. Dave Andreychuk was absolutely lead-footed and scored 600 goals - and more PP goals than anyone in history. But I think the scene with the old scouts in that movie plays itself out in the NHL again and again.

Don't remember the ugly skater part, I actually always thought his skating was great, he's a fast train, one of his assets.

You're right though every once and a while there is a decision, non-decision, that reveals what the thinking is of your pro-scouts, not pursuing Duclair was one of them, thinking Turris still had some gas left was another.

BTW I remember Anson Carter actually had a pretty ugly stride.. he did OK.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798013 is a reply to message #798011 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 16:17

Don't remember the ugly skater part, I actually always thought his skating was great, he's a fast train, one of his assets.

You're right though every once and a while there is a decision, non-decision, that reveals what the thinking is of your pro-scouts, not pursuing Duclair was one of them, thinking Turris still had some gas left was another.

None bigger than Andreas athanasiou. Holland should have known the player intricately. how did his value go from 2 x 2nd rounders and Gags to nothing in 20ish games?

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798014 is a reply to message #798013 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 15:19

None bigger than Andreas athanasiou. Holland should have known the player intricately. how did his value go from 2 x 2nd rounders and Gags to nothing in 20ish games?

Actually I think he's done OK in LA, when he's healthy.
He's 3G 3A 6 pts in 11 games.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798015 is a reply to message #798011 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/anthony-duclair

Anthony Duclair is on a 3 year / 9 million dollar contract, which is a nice raise over the last couple of years . 31 point so far this season. What a nice complimentary player.

I didn't notice Huberdeau and Barkov playing together at all unless the Panthers were on the power play. Nor did I notice any 1:35 pp shifts.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798016 is a reply to message #798015 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 16:23

Anthony Duclair is on a 3 year / 9 million dollar contract, which is a nice raise over the last couple of years . 31 point so far this season. What a nice complimentary player.

I didn't notice Huberdeau and Barkov playing together at all unless the Panthers were on the power play. Nor did I notice any 1:35 pp shifts.

Pfft! Does Duclair bring it every shift like Yamo? Does he play with superb gritensity like Kass?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798018 is a reply to message #798016 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 16:26

Pfft! Does Duclair bring it every shift like Yamo? Does he play with superb gritensity like Kass?

Nope he just quietly (and awkwardly - shrug) skates around scoring 31 points and having a solid +27. He'll fall off a cliff at some point, but that point isn't this year.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798017 is a reply to message #798015 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 16:23

To be fair, were there any powerplays that lasted 1:35?

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #45) [message #798019 is a reply to message #798015 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 15:23

How's this for timing.. here is an article from McCurdy just now that fits in directly with this discussion..
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /kyle-turris-placed-on-waivers-as-edmonton-oilers-search-for -solutionss

Quote:

..Grumpy Oilers fans — and there are a lot of us these days — might take note that ten weeks after the Oilers rushed to sign Turris, Florida Panthers picked Anthony Duclair off the “bargain free agent” pile for a near-identical cap hit of $1.7 million. Last seen scoring against the Oilers last night, the Bill Zito signing has produced 27-36-63, +54 !!! in 75 games as a Panther over the exact same span that Turris has been in Edmonton. Yes, hindsight is 20/20 but Duclair was a known commodity coming off a 23-goal season at age 24 in Ottawa. And while it’s probably unfair to lay blame for not signing a specific player here or there, it is a matter of record that there have been precious few bargain signings by the Oilers in the Ken Holland era...

+54?? .. +54??.. Holy Crap!

Not going after Duclair can't even be blamed on not using advanced stats.. he's a player your pro-scouts should have been able to evaluate without it.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2022 16:48]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Next Topic:GDT: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca