This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774108 is a reply to message #774107 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 10:43

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 09:42

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 09:36

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 09:33

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 09:24

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 10:13

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 04:31

Wow, the Chicken Littles are out in full force.

They lost an extremely close game to a really good team. It's gonna happen.

It has happened. Six times to be precise, in a shortened season. Do we only get to criticize AFTER they are officially eliminated from playoff contention?

Maybe we’ll be allowed to once this team shows they can’t beat Ottawa Sunday with Koskinen getting his 11th straight start on the second half of a back to back taking the team to 3-8.

Have you ever considered that maybe it's your negativity that's making the Oilers lose all these games?

Honestly, I don't really understand the preaching of patience at this point. We're 3-6 despite having the 1-2 scorers in the league, in a shortened season. With only games within the division, some of our rivals are getting points every night no matter what. Every game is four points and we can't afford to piss them away.

The team is showing some pretty substantial cracks at at least three different parts of the team, and the special teams hasn't covered for our blemishes like it did for much of last year.

On top of that, this is McDavid's 6th season and we're trending towards a fifth year without playoffs - at some point he's going to say enough is enough and want the team to actually start giving him a chance to win. If he or Draisaitl demand to go - we're screwed for a decade after that.

Sometimes, the sky really is falling.

Haven't heard the excuse from Stauffer lately about the lack of fan energy in Edmonton crowds giving the Oilers a disadvantage compared to more excited fan bases.

I guess we could complain about the guy controlling the fan sound in Edmonton possibly not hitting the fun buttons as much as the control guys for fake sounds in other arenas.

I just want to know if that sound is actually in the rink, or if it's only on TV. I do find it weird and a little annoying.

Thought it was for the benefit of the players too and they pumped it into the arena speakers, so players don't feel like they're playing in a morgue. Think some players commented on it in the playoffs.

Clearly something is wrong with the sound in our arena though, or we would be winning more.

Who did they use for the fan sounds?? Did they contract EA?? Or use audio from old games and just splice the crowd sound out?

How do they not have the team specific chants going? This team, along with the reminder to shoot on powerplays, could probably benefit from a good ol’ LETS GO OILERS *clap, clap, clap clap clap* LETS GO OILERS (rinse, repeat).

I feel they’ve really dropped the ball with the fake crowd noise.

I will continue to be UP for game days and arguably drunk and disgruntled come the first intermission. Musty Math and Musty Weather may take a day off tomorrow to see if that changes the fortunes of the spineless team we so dearingly love.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774110 is a reply to message #774108 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

This season is definitive proof that the league's top powerplay NEEDS the fans yelling shoot.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774113 is a reply to message #774110 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 10:12

This season is definitive proof that the league's top powerplay NEEDS the fans yelling shoot.

Fun is fun, but this statement is going too far.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774124 is a reply to message #774104 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 08:33

On top of that, this is McDavid's 6th season and we're trending towards a fifth year without playoffs - at some point he's going to say enough is enough and want the team to actually start giving him a chance to win. If he or Draisaitl demand to go - we're screwed for a decade after that.

Sometimes, the sky really is falling.

I feel like I am watching his last season here. These next 47 games mean a lot more than this season.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774095 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

It’s okay guys, we’ll just recycle the 4th liners again. That’s the spark we need!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774096 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Can we please. Please. Have Bouchard in saturday? Screw the 7 D thing. Sit Lars or Barrie.

Also. 3 games in 4 nights comin... Koskinen getting Saturday and Sunday? Idiotic.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774102 is a reply to message #774096 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

What's pissing me off the most is I don't think they are a bad team or they lack talent. I thought they hung with the Leafs and had chances to win but its completely DUMB mistakes that are costing them. Koskinen goes out to play the puck. First of all what for and secondly he just totally gave the puck away. After that you are just basically hoping for the Leafs to flub it because he has to scramble back and there is no way he will be set or in position to make a save. It would be just luck if he made a save. To compound things as he's trying to come back, I think it was his stick or something got caught. Totally stupid, totally avoidable mistake.

The Nylander goal I just can't get my head around what the hell Larsson was thinking. You are in front of the goal where you should be, there are Leafs standing there. So you think its a good idea to just abandon the goal you are supposed to protect and leave 2 players wide open!!! He's a vet, he should know better. If he doesn't leave his proper position, there is no goal. Another completely stupid, totally avoidable mistake.

Worst part is, you can't even blame these mistakes on young guys learning the NHL.

Someone explain to me how McDavid can play 25:42 and Nuge 27:08 and both of them not register a single shot on goal? That just can't happen. Shoot the freaking puck you morons!! McDavid at least got 2 assists. Nuge had NOTHING. No points, no shots plus 2 giveaway. Oh but he did get credited with a hit somehow. What an impactful 27 mins. icon_rolleyes

[Updated on: Fri, 29 January 2021 09:28]

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774109 is a reply to message #774102 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 09:26

The Nylander goal I just can't get my head around what the hell Larsson was thinking. You are in front of the goal where you should be, there are Leafs standing there. So you think its a good idea to just abandon the goal you are supposed to protect and leave 2 players wide open!!! He's a vet, he should know better. If he doesn't leave his proper position, there is no goal. Another completely stupid, totally avoidable mistake.

Look, when you trade away Taylor Hall for a dman it isn't going to be a stay at home guy. That would be far too lopsided a deal. Especially if it's one for one. So you get a dman who is hungry for points and takes some chances. You just have to hope his offensive production outweighs any defensive lapses.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774111 is a reply to message #774109 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 10:11

Look, when you trade away Taylor Hall for a dman it isn't going to be a stay at home guy. That would be far too lopsided a deal. Especially if it's one for one. So you get a dman who is hungry for points and takes some chances. You just have to hope his offensive production outweighs any defensive lapses.

The trade was basically Hall for Larsson, Pulju and Barrie.

Happy?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774117 is a reply to message #774109 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 10:11

We are going to bring up the Hall trade again? That was 5 yrs ago. The trade wasn't good, that's been established 100's of times.

I am talking about basic dmen fundamentals here. I don't see a scenario no matter what system your coaches draw up that would have the dmen vacate the net when you are in your own zone, on the PK with opposition standing by the goal. They teach that basic stuff when you are a kid. My son is 10 and is a second year Atom. Going into Atom was the first year he had to decide on a position. He's a dman. My kid is not in high level hockey and they started teaching all the dmen his first year in Atom position and to not let guys stand all by themselves in front of your goal so they could fire the puck in. I don't care who Hall was traded for, what Larsson did was what you expect to see kids who are just learning the game do. It was beyond stupid and stupidity, not a lack of talent is what's killing this team.

Mistakes are going to happen so I can accept when a dman makes a mistake trying to make a play. The guys on the other side of the ice are trying to mess you up. So as an example if a dman has a pinch opportunity and it's 50-50 if he should do it. He decides to pinch, the forward makes a good play to get it by him and the dman gets caught. In hindsight he shouldn't have pinched but I can accept that. I can't accept what Larsson did last night. There is ZERO chance good happens so why that would cross his mind, is baffling. What he did night 1 where kassian had the guy pinned against the wall, Larsson decides to leave the middle of the ice and go to the man that Kassian already has leaving middle wide open for a breakaway. Again, what possible good could happen? The mistakes he's making aren't in attempts to make plays, they are absolutely inexcusable, beyond dumb mental errors where it's utterly baffling what he could be thinking. What makes it worse is all he can do is defend. He doesn't have the skating ability or puck moving or puck handling ability to make up for a mental gaffs of this magnitude. So when he makes them, they are instant goals.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 January 2021 11:26]

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774112 is a reply to message #774102 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I echo what a few others said about getting tired of patience. I keep hearing from the team and especially from the mouth piece Stauffer about the defense and how it's coming. Bouchard is coming, Broberg is coming, Samorukov is coming, Lagesson can play, Jones is going to be a good one. WHEN? When is this happening?

I look at the Oilers defense today and they aren't old. The only guy over 30 today is Russell and they are already phasing him out. Barrie is 29 and chances are he's a 1 and done. Larsson is 28 and looks to be on the way out or at least a reduced role if he's back next year. The previous management did a lousy job with the defense, now they seem to be stocked. So when are they going to play these guys or use some of these assets to bring in plug and play guys? As an example, Dunn is available. He looks to be a plug and play guy right now that would fit nicely on the second pairing. He's got OK size, mobile, moves the puck, has offense and experience. He's a dman for todays NHL. I don't know why the Blues want to get rid of him but who cares. Everyone says Jones could be a good top 4 guy. Dunn had 12 goals, 35 pts 2, seasons ago, 9 goals, 23 pts in 71 games last year. Is Jones going to do better than that? Maybe but those are pretty good numbers for a guy who wouldn't be their top guy nor would he have been getting top unit PP time. So Jones is going to have to be damn good to top them. Jones is going to be 24 in June and we all think he's going to be a decent NHL dman but at 23, we are still unsure. Dunn at 24 IS a pretty decent NHL dman and has been for several seasons now. There is a 1 mill difference in salary between the 2 guys which has value. So whatelse would it take?

At some point they have to stop waiting for these guys to maybe figure it out and get guys who have figured it out.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774118 is a reply to message #774112 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

If we cloned the Oilers and they played the real team, the cloned team would win. I don’t know?

RDO says we can’t wait for guys to figure out. I’m not sure if we brought someone in that’s not a top pair of it’d make a difference. Lagesson didn’t look horrible when he got a chance, but he’s now off the radar. Broberg never got to come to camp. Bouchard is wilting away on the taxi squad and apparently making Patrick Russell look like a star. Skinner has ass splinters.

Call up Dave Manson. He can be player/coach. I think we have answers, but right now we have a coach who is trying to do math with a sea cucumber. Just does not make any sense.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774125 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Well. He talks it... let’s see if the can walk it;

Zack Kassian, “We have to come to the rink tomorrow like it is a must win game. We have put ourselves in this position by finding ways to lose.”

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774126 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I like to drink the juice and Stauffer poured me a jug that I need to get me through this.

Edmonton has played 5 of its 9 games against the best in Canadian division. Basically saying we are fighting with Vancouver, Winnipeg and Calgary for the last two spots.

Now I’m calmed until Ottawa sweeps us.

[Updated on: Fri, 29 January 2021 13:40]

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774128 is a reply to message #774126 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 13:09

I like to drink the juice and Stauffer pored me a jug that I need to get me through this.

Edmonton has played 5 of its 9 games against the best in Canadian division. Basically saying we are fighting with Vancouver, Winnipeg and Calgary for the last two spots.

I didn't listen to the show but the official Ministry of Truth explanation is the Oilers are aiming to be a middling team this year? Perfect. Never let your reach exceed your grasp, boys. Quick question, how did the 12th place Canadiens pass the Oilers so quickly?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774129 is a reply to message #774128 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 13:16

I like to drink the juice and Stauffer pored me a jug that I need to get me through this.

I didn't listen to the show but the official Ministry of Truth explanation is the Oilers are aiming to be a middling team this year? Perfect. Never let your reach exceed your grasp, boys. Quick question, how did the 12th place Canadiens pass the Oilers so quickly?

This will definitely all correct when we finally play the team we've lost 6 of our last 8 against (senators).

What that "correction" is...time will have to tell.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774133 is a reply to message #774128 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

It's a long.....albeit short season and things will even out. PP and PK's get hot, they fizzle. This is all an optical illusion. blah blah blah

I still don't believe Montreal is as good as they are. Keeping waiting for them to fail.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774147 is a reply to message #774128 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Haha - it's so Oilers to say that their whole goal for this season with two of the best players in the world is to scrape in to the playoffs in 4th place in the division. What a stupid position. I realize that Stauffer isn't the Oilers per se, but he's a paid spokesperson for them so his words carry weight.

I assume when the Habs beat the Penguins in the play-in last year they automatically leapt up the standings. Sort of a kill the king, become the king type thing...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774153 is a reply to message #774147 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 16:04

Haha - it's so Oilers to say that their whole goal for this season with two of the best players in the world is to scrape in to the playoffs in 4th place in the division. What a stupid position. I realize that Stauffer isn't the Oilers per se, but he's a paid spokesperson for them so his words carry weight.

I assume when the Habs beat the Penguins in the play-in last year they automatically leapt up the standings. Sort of a kill the king, become the king type thing...

Keep in mind the Oilers are aiming for fourth place in a bad division. The Habs are better, but still only ok. The Leafs are a slightly better version of the Oilers. The Sens suck. The Jets are... I don't know what the Jets are. The Flames are a pest that will always disappear. The Canucks are also a version of the Oilers. This division sucks. A decent team that was even semi-competent would roll though this cake walk.

Oilers fans are simply expected not to notice. I'm kind of glad there are no fans in the arena right now (despite this costing wins - fact) I don't like seeing people have to make the decision whether or not to financially support that organization.

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774160 is a reply to message #774153 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 20:18 Go to previous message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Koskinen wasn't on the ice for Friday's practice, but Grosenick was.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-friday-practice-updates -012921/c-320853078?tid=281885062

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774137 is a reply to message #774046 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Tippett says he will discuss with (The) Schwartz about playing Koskinen both games this weekend.

https://i.gifer.com/PB3e.gif

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9) [message #774141 is a reply to message #774137 ]
Fri, 29 January 2021 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 29 January 2021 15:21

Tippett says he will discuss with (The) Schwartz about playing Koskinen both games this weekend.

https://i.gifer.com/PB3e.gif

Tomorrow’s media avail with Tipp, “We gave him a day off, he didn’t practice yesterday, he’s well rested. We chatted with him and he says he feels well rested and ready to go. He then said something to Jesse in Finnish and Jesse laughed before continuing to eat his pizza.”

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Next Topic:GDT: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #9)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca