This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the OilersPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738111 is a reply to message #738106 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

I think it's a good thing to have a conference that is not newsworthy. I don't want a sales job or excuses, just go out there and get results.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738137 is a reply to message #738106 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Tue, 28 May 2019 12:56

Watching that press conference it's almost like they shouldn't even hold one.

The questions and answers are the same from the past 12 years every time we see a coach or managerial change. Cookie cutter responses.

I can't get excited about this at all. The Oilers have Connor McDavid and I'm really not excited about this upcoming season. That's insanity. Maybe when September rolls around. Maybe it's the nice weather today that has me not caring.

What would have got you excited? I think you’re like most fans. If we were allowed to poach our choice of GM and Coach from any team in the league we would still believe that Nicholson would’ve screwed it up.

Personally I kind of like these two additions. I’m optimistic about our upcoming season and almost anticipating a few good trades in the next few months.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738127 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Don’t like Tippett. But also don’t really care. Still don’t plan on watching much if any hockey next season. Team needs talent upgrades across the roster. That’s the bottom line for me. Coaching won’t move the needle enough. And being an 8th seed and hoping to go on fairytale runs, getting middle of the pack picks is going to continue to lead to nothing exciting or significant.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738128 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

not mine:

https://i.imgur.com/IrfQWv2.jpg

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738135 is a reply to message #738128 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I know the photo is a joke because it's reattached his moustache, but I actually find these jersey things a little annoying when it's not a player. Why does he have a jersey? Why is the year now the number? It's just kind of lame.

He's never going to be in a jersey, so just stick to shaking hands.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738139 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Tue, 28 May 2019 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Just looking at his results with Arizona. Wow has that team had lackluster rosters forever. He took them to the conference finals in a year where a 40 year old Ray Whitney was their leading scorer. After that, not much success. Missed the playoffs his last 5 years of coaching, although it's hard to blame him for those sad rosters. In Tippett's last season with Arizona, his third highest scoring forward was our very own Tobias Rieder. Amazing that they frequently would finish ahead of the Oilers with the budgets and rosters they had to work with.

If Rieder is into it, and the bridge isn't burned, this would be a good time to take him on a bargain contract.

Clean house or bust

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738184 is a reply to message #738139 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I will be curious to see which players either on the Oilers or needing a new contract won't be back. Both Holland and Tippet have mentioned liking fast guys and also guys that compete. When I think about that, guys who don't fit that mold are with with not being fast, don't compete or both:
Signed:
- Brodziak, Cave, Lucic, Gagner

Unsigned:
Chiasson, Khaira, Rattie, Rieder.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738304 is a reply to message #738184 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Gregor tweeted that the Oilers have let go Yawney and Vivieros. Lots of rumors Yawney was going to join McLellan.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738305 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jason Gregor @JasonGregor
The #Oilers have parted ways with assistant coaches Trent Yawney and Manny Vivieros.

Did Vivieros ever really do anything here? Was kicked upstairs by mcLellan day one. Think he got to be on the bench now and then with hitchcock. This Oilers coaching page picture was the only one not professionally taken, was just some picture from an old WHL article that some Oilers website guy copied.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738307 is a reply to message #738305 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 11:57

The #Oilers have parted ways with assistant coaches Trent Yawney and Manny Vivieros.

Did Vivieros ever really do anything here? Was kicked upstairs by mcLellan day one. Think he got to be on the bench now and then with hitchcock. This Oilers coaching page picture was the only one not professionally taken, was just some picture from an old WHL article that some Oilers website guy copied.

Yeah, getting rid of guys like Vivieros, MacT, and Sutter are all a bunch of "Meh". The main suspects (re: KLowe and Bobby) are still around. Get rid of them, and the stench will really start to go away, even if Ken winds up bringing in his own odor.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738316 is a reply to message #738307 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 13:53

Yeah, getting rid of guys like Vivieros, MacT, and Sutter are all a bunch of "Meh". The main suspects (re: KLowe and Bobby) are still around. Get rid of them, and the stench will really start to go away, even if Ken winds up bringing in his own odor.

Based upon everything that has come out. Lowe has zero things to do with the Oilers hockey operations side in any form. Bobby yes--you need to aim your hate at the right people. Once you do that you will figure out just who is to blame

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738317 is a reply to message #738316 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

steve.kreys wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 15:29

Based upon everything that has come out. Lowe has zero things to do with the Oilers hockey operations side in any form. Bobby yes--you need to aim your hate at the right people. Once you do that you will figure out just who is to blame

Strong disagree. Based on everything that has been said Lower has nothing to do with hockey operations. The actions tell a different story.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738320 is a reply to message #738316 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

You're missing the point- it's not just about who is actually to blame, but changing the entire atmosphere and public perception of how this team has been run. Whether or not Lowe actually has anything to do with the hockey ops side (and based on the Koskinen signing, don't rule him completely out) is beside the point. It's all about the fact his name is associated with all the failure that this team has experienced over most of the past 13 years, especially since he is still on Katz' payroll.

If they want to really show that they are moving in a new direction, they need to get rid of ANYONE who was associated with that culture of failure, and this includes Mr.6-Cups if only because he's been among the most publicly-vilified men within that trainwreck of a hockey organization.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738325 is a reply to message #738316 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve - it would take incredible mental gymnastics to believe that Kevin Lowe isn't involved in hockey operations. He's at the draft table every year. When someone needed to tour around Milan Lucic and Jason Demers, there was Kevin Lowe with a hard hat on, touring the arena construction alongside the players. When anyone near the team (bafflingly including media) they suggest that he gives his opinion regularly on hockey operations - "and why wouldn't you want to take advantage of having that resource there?"

It's been mentioned many times that he's still in some meetings, "he just isn't in charge of hockey operations".

Who do you think was involved in the "Red Wine Summits"? https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-held-hostage-voic es-past/

Friedman suggested this year that Lowe & Gretzky were frustrated with Chiarelli's decision making and that they weighed in with Katz on that frequently. That isn't exactly passive non-involvement.

You have someone who was in that job before, who is above the GM/POHO in the organization, who wants to be heard on his opinions of how hockey operations should run, and who has the ear of the owner and won't be afraid to whisper in it if he wants to undermine the GM/POHO or others? That's involvement.

Besides, what exactly do you think Kevin Lowe would bring to the table outside of hockey ops? What about his history - playing hockey for 20 years, then a year as an assistant coach, a year as a head coach, and almost two decades ruining the team from upper management - would develop any business skills that would be useful enough to keep him around with a six or seven figure salary?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738331 is a reply to message #738325 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

In addition to everything said here, the most obvious evidence that Lowe still has a say is that his son Keegan (marginal AHLer) has gotten two contracts with the team while Chiarelli was GM, even named captain of Bakersfield.

Clean house or bust

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738335 is a reply to message #738316 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

This is just plain silly.

Your post here implies you believe the title and propaganda that Lowe is not involved in hockey ops
You created a separate thread putting the target on Gretzky.

I have no idea how much influence Wayne has but everything we see is him around from time to time looking drunk in a luxury box.
With that same line of thinking we see Lowe at the draft table, courting free agents, etc.

Are you trolling? I ask because I cant actually believe that a fan who follows the team day to day would believe what you are saying...

Of all the problems with the Oilers one of the common denominators is Kevin Lowe. Regardless of his title, public presence or day to day behaviors he has shown nothing that would make me believe he is anything but one of the problems and is in no way part of the solution.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738339 is a reply to message #738335 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 17:12

Your post here implies you believe the title and propaganda that Lowe is not involved in hockey ops

I have no idea how much influence Wayne has but everything we see is him around from time to time looking drunk in a luxury box.
With that same line of thinking we see Lowe at the draft table, courting free agents, etc.

Are you trolling? I ask because I cant actually believe that a fan who follows the team day to day would believe what you are saying...

Of all the problems with the Oilers one of the common denominators is Kevin Lowe. Regardless of his title, public presence or day to day behaviors he has shown nothing that would make me believe he is anything but one of the problems and is in no way part of the solution.

I wish I would have checked in here before taking the troll bait and responding in that aforementioned seperate thread. Everything I posted has all been covered here.

Was steve.kreys the guy who was hilariously defending Chiarelli? For what it's worth I believe Todd McLellan was playing Looch top line and first unit pp because Chia forced him too.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738341 is a reply to message #738339 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Xombie wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 20:05

I wish I would have checked in here before taking the troll bait and responding in that aforementioned seperate thread. Everything I posted has all been covered here.

Was steve.kreys the guy who was hilariously defending Chiarelli? For what it's worth I believe Todd McLellan was playing Looch top line and first unit pp because Chia forced him too.

While there are some similarities I think that posters name was Shoop.

Showed up out of no where the day we got "Oilers making the playoffs would save Chia's job" news
Wildly, inexplicably and illogically defends Chia.
Vanishes within days of Chia being fired

One of the better moments of the past year.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738343 is a reply to message #738341 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 23:49

Showed up out of no where the day we got "Oilers making the playoffs would save Chia's job" news

I would have done a better job shilling.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738349 is a reply to message #738343 ]
Sun, 02 June 2019 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 23:56

Honestly Kevin probably does know a lot about winning. He played with hall of famers. And aren’t we really a second level or “tier” of fan if we don’t buy tickets and support the team?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738375 is a reply to message #738343 ]
Mon, 03 June 2019 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 23:56

Yes, I would certainly agree with you there! It's pretty easy to sniff out a troll on here, Steve, man, you got to do a better job..

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #739868 is a reply to message #738375 ]
Wed, 03 July 2019 18:56 Go to previous message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Hired about five years too late! He could have been crucial in designing the layout of the restaurants in Roger’s place, might even have had an idea to put more than four toilets on the third level.

Better late than never. I guess he could turbo the truck in Ford Hall and rev the spit out of it the team scores!

He enjoys building, but does he enjoy REbuilding? Perpetually?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738336 is a reply to message #738316 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

steve.kreys wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 18:29

Is that you Kevin?

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738318 is a reply to message #738307 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm usually down on this team, but I still feel removing MacT was a huge deal. Just going by my personal impression of MacT's personality, he just seems like a guy that has strong (stupid) opinions and talks peoples ears off about them. He seems like a horrible know-it-all as well. That's a bad guy to have around your office in a high position because he's gonna be putting his bad ideas into peoples heads all the time and be talking lots in every meeting he is in, throwing off conversations and useful discussion. Just my opinion of him based on my observations over the years :)

Lowe probably does whisper in Bobby's ear, but I do think Holland will be able to filter that out. But if Holland had to keep carrying MacT around in hockey ops and keep involving him in meetings, I think that would be far more damaging to the team.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738323 is a reply to message #738318 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 15:33

I'm usually down on this team, but I still feel removing MacT was a huge deal. Just going by my personal impression of MacT's personality, he just seems like a guy that has strong (stupid) opinions and talks peoples ears off about them. He seems like a horrible know-it-all as well. That's a bad guy to have around your office in a high position because he's gonna be putting his bad ideas into peoples heads all the time and be talking lots in every meeting he is in, throwing off conversations and useful discussion. Just my opinion of him based on my observations over the years :)

Lowe probably does whisper in Bobby's ear, but I do think Holland will be able to filter that out. But if Holland had to keep carrying MacT around in hockey ops and keep involving him in meetings, I think that would be far more damaging to the team.

I don't. It's more of the same type of people being added to the same type of environment.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738326 is a reply to message #738318 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I can't agree with you about MacT. Sure he may be very opinionated, but if Holland could ignore Lowe, he can certainly ignore someone like MacT who doesn't have as much clout within the organization.

5-14-6-1

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738327 is a reply to message #738326 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 15:42

I can't agree with you about MacT. Sure he may be very opinionated, but if Holland could ignore Lowe, he can certainly ignore someone like MacT who doesn't have as much clout within the organization.

I think it's just a matter of their location in the org. MacT in hockey ops is going to be around a lot more than Lowe who is in his ivory tower with entertainment group business responsibilities. You can much more easily filter out some Lowe comments coming down via bumbling Nicholson than you can MacT in the room all the time spouting his garbage, much of which probably also came from talking to his buddy Lowe.

If Holland can create a bubble around his hockey ops group, and not have useless voices inside always in the room, it's a much better working environment.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738332 is a reply to message #738327 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 15:45

I think it's just a matter of their location in the org. MacT in hockey ops is going to be around a lot more than Lowe who is in his ivory tower with entertainment group business responsibilities. You can much more easily filter out some Lowe comments coming down via bumbling Nicholson than you can MacT in the room all the time spouting his garbage, much of which probably also came from talking to his buddy Lowe.

If Holland can create a bubble around his hockey ops group, and not have useless voices inside always in the room, it's a much better working environment.

There's no way Lowe was a good little business manager and stayed in his own play pen. I can only hope Holland has the balls and autonomy to make him.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738333 is a reply to message #738332 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 16:18

There's no way Lowe was a good little business manager and stayed in his own play pen. I can only hope Holland has the balls and autonomy to make him.

Think Lowe is still around the offices playing with the hockey operations guys? Maybe there is a chance he comes down more since his proxy is in Russia.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738334 is a reply to message #738333 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 18:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 16:26

Magnum wrote on Fri, 31 May 2019 16:18

Think Lowe is still around the offices playing with the hockey operations guys? Maybe there is a chance he comes down more since his proxy is in Russia.

I think he has his fingers in pretty much everything, either by proxy or directly.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738314 is a reply to message #738305 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Poor Manny. He made a bad decision signing here. Left a good situation where he had some cachet and joined the Oilers where they didn't use him all year for anything but occasionally opening a door or two.

Now he's out of work. I'm sure he'll land back with a Junior team again, but this has to suck for him. Must feel like a total waste of a year.

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738313 is a reply to message #738064 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

It will be interesting who Tippet brings in for D coach. I thought Yawney was a keeper.
Maybe D. Manson gets the push up, I wouldn't mind that, eventually, but I think he is worth more down on the farm coaching Jr's how to play NHL, than up on the Oil bench.
I can't recall Tippets previous assistants that might be the favourites.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Dave Tippett to be named head coach of the Oilers [message #738315 is a reply to message #738313 ]
Fri, 31 May 2019 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am of the belief that a coach should be allowed to pick his assistants. As a result, I thought that 2 were probably going to go as I felt keeping 1 for some continuity with the players was a good thing. I think I heard Tippet say when asked he coached with Gulutzlan before so there is a past relationship. I think Gulutzan handled the PP and the Oilers were 9th without a puck moving dman who could get a shot through on net consistently. So he did a decent job there.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Sign Ty Rattie
Next Topic:Oilers sign Jurco for 750k, 1y
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca