This day on October 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Terracide, ladyv, Irishiwasdrunk!

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM TambelliniPages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432144 is a reply to message #432122 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Le Chiffre  is currently offline Le Chiffre

No Cups

s0undwave wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 15:26

Pisani

Stortini

Corazzini

Tambellini

Makes sense.

Hmmmm, now that you put it like that, it all makes sense icon_wink

Seriously, I never saw this comming at all. Big shock. I think K-Lowe did a good job in the off season to make the team better. Cole and Lubo are solid players.

Tambelli is a great choice for GM, good move by Oilers . I'm just a bit surprised this all went down.

Send a private message to this user  

Could it be that... [message #432123 is a reply to message #431996 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SunshinesDad  is currently offline SunshinesDad

No Cups

the Oilers want to trade for someone on the Ducks and they know that Lowe can't deal with Burke so they brought in Steve to do it? I know this wouldn't be enough of a reason to do a big move like this but I am just listening to the replay of the news conference a the moment and he was talking about how closely he has worked with many GM's including Burke.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-3PCGZ_c0m91rN7zn75aow

Re: Could it be that... [message #432127 is a reply to message #432123 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldrickOnIce  is currently offline EldrickOnIce

No Cups

This is an outstanding move for the Oilers.
Tambellini is one of the great young hockey minds in the game, imo.... and that is a very short list.
And I have never left any doubt as to my opinion on Lowe as GM. I have stated numerous times that as a Flames fan I would be a very happy man if Lowe and McTavish were given lifetime contracts....

Big news - big step forward, imo.

Trade Lowe

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432132 is a reply to message #431996 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chiefbender  is currently offline chiefbender

No Cups

I am really hoping the firing of MacT is somewhere in the near future (pre training camp icon_biggrin ). That would make this a truly beautiful day. As for Tambelini, nothing to say. I think we should hold judgement until he actually negotiates a contract or makes a trade...G.M. sort of stuff.

"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."

- Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432150 is a reply to message #432132 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

Everybody's trippin on and on about how MacT is gonna be canned, but theres more than just that!

Maybe Tambellini will be the guy who makes a deal nabbing somebody expensive and buying out Roli? Since Kevin would feel bad for axing Roli right?

Maybe Katz didn't like so much of his money being used on what he belives is a poor choice for a #1 center. Kevin Lowe might think it was a great move and that Horc is a true #1 center, maybe Katz disagrees? Maybe he wants more Hossas and less Sourays? (ie: overpaying second tier players and calling them top tier)

Maybe Tambellini won't take MacT and his trapping ways, won't take a bad start to the season. Keep Mac honest.

Maybe trading Penner can happen now that theres a new GM with new plans?

So many new things can happen in the future now. To me, its basically a shift away from the so-called old boys club.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432151 is a reply to message #432150 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s0undwave  is currently offline s0undwave

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 17:47

Maybe Tambellini will be the guy who makes a deal nabbing somebody expensive and buying out Roli? Since Kevin would feel bad for axing Roli right?.

If he does that, then I would deem it a brutal hiring...

www.nhlnumbers.com

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432153 is a reply to message #432150 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jadrain  is currently offline jadrain

No Cups

ybe Tambellini will be the guy who makes a deal nabbing somebody expensive and buying out Roli?

As has been explained a few times on here, Roli can't be bought out. Or rather he can but for 100% cap hit on his remaining salary (because he was over 35 when his contract was signed) so it's pointless.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432154 is a reply to message #432150 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmc  is currently offline hmc

1 Cup

Xombie wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 19:47

Everybody's trippin on and on about how MacT is gonna be canned, but theres more than just that!

Maybe Tambellini will be the guy who makes a deal nabbing somebody expensive and buying out Roli? Since Kevin would feel bad for axing Roli right?

We're not buying Roli out. He's got one year left, he's got something to prove, and he's 1/2 of a pretty cheap, yet effective goaltending tandem.

Maybe Katz didn't like so much of his money being used on what he belives is a poor choice for a #1 center. Kevin Lowe might think it was a great move and that Horc is a true #1 center, maybe Katz disagrees? Maybe he wants more Hossas and less Sourays? (ie: overpaying second tier players and calling them top tier)

Katz signs the paychecks remember. There's no way he signs off on the Horcoff deal if he didn't approve of it.

Maybe Tambellini won't take MacT and his trapping ways, won't take a bad start to the season. Keep Mac honest.

Since when are we discussing trading Penner? He showed signs of coming around late last year, he's getting into better shape, he's got one more year of experience, and he's not coming off a long postseason run. He's gonna get a long look before there's trade talk around him.

So many new things can happen in the future now. To me, its basically a shift away from the so-called old boys club.

Then I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant.

Everyone needs to relax [message #432156 is a reply to message #432154 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

1 Cup

Good or bad shuffle, who knows... but the fact that there was a shuffle in the first place shows something that the Oilers haven't shown for a while: a reluctance to be stagnant. Finally a sign that they don't just think the status quo will miraculously transform into a contender. It's arguable whether or not Tambellini will do a good job, but they went out and made a move, apparently unprovoked for once.

To those who are saying we shouldn't speculate... I know Tambellini is a good friend of Lowe and company's, but you have to ask why they would even bother with this then, unless some more changes are in the future. Is Lowe sick of his job? Is Katz sick of the job Lowe is doing? Is something else up? These are legitimate questions given the out-of-the-blue nature of the announcement.

Whatever the end result may be, this just further adds to my sentiment that I can't wait for the season to begin. This will be a very interesting year to be an Oiler fan.

Re: Everyone needs to relax [message #432160 is a reply to message #432156 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

Anyone else think Tambellini looks like a hybrid of K-Lowe and Katz?

Renaissance 2015

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432161 is a reply to message #432154 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoDog  is currently offline LoDog

No Cups

hmcewan wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 18:03

Xombie wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 19:47

We're not buying Roli out. He's got one year left, he's got something to prove, and he's 1/2 of a pretty cheap, yet effective goaltending tandem.

Katz signs the paychecks remember. There's no way he signs off on the Horcoff deal if he didn't approve of it.

Since when are we discussing trading Penner? He showed signs of coming around late last year, he's getting into better shape, he's got one more year of experience, and he's not coming off a long postseason run. He's gonna get a long look before there's trade talk around him.

^^ This saved me a lot of time. :)

Everything I have heard about Tambellini outside of this thread has been good. Of course now I have to do some research as I did not care before today.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432425 is a reply to message #432150 ]
Mon, 04 August 2008 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Darth Greene  is currently offline Darth Greene

No Cups

Kevin would feel bad about trading Roli? Just like when he couldn't trade $myth b/c of their close realationship. Try again.

If you think that Horc's deal wasn't approved by Katz before it was given to Horc to sign, well you're crazy.

Tambellini will take whatever coaching style that wins.

You are on glue if you think Penner will be traded. The Oil/Lowe have to validate their offer sheet by having Penner succeed. To trade him says that it was the wrong move (it wasn't), and on top of that there aren't a whole lot of 6'4 240 LW's who can pot 25-35 goals, and have sweet hands like him.

I suggest you listen to the presser again. Especially where Lowe said ALL decisions still go through him.

And with the 1st pick overall the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select from the Swedish highschool league: Lars Svendsson.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432162 is a reply to message #431996 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerinvan  is currently offline oilerinvan

1 Cup

Off the radar for sure. Here is an interview from the Oilers’ website:

http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=Podcas tPlayer&pid=98&iid=6766

In the interview Lowe says that he will still be involved the hockey operations side and that he will not be too far away.

Another one with just Lowe:

http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=Podcas tPlayer&pid=98&iid=6768

In this one he says that it will still be him that makes the final decisions, and that moves will be decided upon collectively, but that he would have the final say.

Tambellini is well liked and this is some more nice fresh air for the franchise. It is clear that Lowe will still be guiding the ship, but Tambellini will be a new face, and both those things are positive.

I think this is a good thing.

Horcoff and MacIntyre rule.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432166 is a reply to message #432162 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sloiler  is currently offline sloiler

No Cups

to all the people that are speculating that this has something to do with Katz being pi$$ed at Klowe for this season contracts wake up. Do you really thing a smart business man like him is going to buy a business and then let someone just through money around without his knowledge? The way I see it is Katz has trust in Klowe, he also see's the need that at times people get tired of the job they are doing and can sence the the end is near. With all the other GM's that will not talk to Klowe maybe it was time to move Kevin out of the lime light and move in new blood. Tambo was in a position that he really didn't want to be in with Crapucks and he and Klowe are friends so what a good time to jump on it. Kevin moves up and will be the primary contact with Katz without having to go through the hole GM role. I think the role that Klowe has now is a retirment job just to keep him around yet he will still have a lot of say in the operation How many President of Hockey Operations guys do you see being fired per year? This is a way to keep Kevin in the club for a long time to come.
P.S. It WILL NOT CHANGE MacT's SITUATION. If he had a long rope before he will have it again. If he was on a short rope it will be short again. Tambo will not have the stroke to can someone from the old boys club ....YET.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432170 is a reply to message #432166 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greatgazoo  is currently offline greatgazoo

No Cups

As someone who grew up knowing only Sather and Lowe as the Oilers' GM's, I am shocked.

At least now, we can at least hold the belief that MacT's job is no longer guaranteed by his relationship with Lowe. However, me thinks that Tambellini will need approval from the Predident to gas the Head Coach. Checks and balances you know.

I don't know why everyone's so happy... [message #432173 is a reply to message #431996 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haggis  is currently offline haggis

No Cups

Under Lowe:
- Superb drafting with a supreme core of youth and top end potential despite the fact that we've rarely had a high #1 pick.
- All core players inked long term at very reasonable money.
- Some very good trades including bringing Pronger in.
- Visionary thinking to use the CBA to benefit the team.

Aside from the fact that he's kept MacT despite constantly underachieving I can't really say that there's another GM in the league who I'd rather have. Frankly I can't see the new guy doing a better job than Lowe.

Re: I don't know why everyone's so happy... [message #432176 is a reply to message #432173 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilerfansince87  is currently offline Oilerfansince87

No Cups

haggis wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 22:59

Under Lowe:
- Superb drafting with a supreme core of youth and top end potential despite the fact that we've rarely had a high #1 pick.
- All core players inked long term at very reasonable money.
- Some very good trades including bringing Pronger in.
- Visionary thinking to use the CBA to benefit the team.

Aside from the fact that he's kept MacT despite constantly underachieving I can't really say that there's another GM in the league who I'd rather have. Frankly I can't see the new guy doing a better job than Lowe.

The take im getting from this is that Lowe is still calling the shots but Tabellini is the new face. My guess is this is an attempt to sooth some GMs that were/are offended in the passed couple years.

Edited: because my drunken state on a 4 day weekend has made my typing even more atrocious than usual.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 July 2008 23:06]

Re: I don't know why everyone's so happy... [message #432180 is a reply to message #432176 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greatgazoo  is currently offline greatgazoo

No Cups

The managment by committee concept can work. The Red Wings have certainly proved that.

Intelligent hockey guys bouncing ideas off of one another and coming to a conclusion that can be agreed upon by the majority which results in successful results...

It's kinda like what we do in these forums, but they're doing it in real time icon_smile

Re: I don't know why everyone's so happy... [message #432198 is a reply to message #432180 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ronster  is currently offline ronster

No Cups

greatgazoo wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 22:26

The managment by committee concept can work. The Red Wings have certainly proved that.

Intelligent hockey guys bouncing ideas off of one another and coming to a conclusion that can be agreed upon by the majority which results in successful results...

It's kinda like what we do in these forums, but they're doing it in real time icon_smile

I guess the National Post agrees with your theory too

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=693274

I'm glad we are taking this type of approach.

Re: I don't know why everyone's so happy... [message #432200 is a reply to message #432180 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raggamuffin Rascal  is currently offline Raggamuffin Rascal

No Cups

greatgazoo wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 23:26

However with 3 guys discussing and talking does that make management slower and less efficient? What happens when a decision needs to be made in a hurry or an 11th hour deal goes down. Do we miss out because it took us too long to reach a decision because we had 3 guys talking it over?

Re: I don't know why everyone's so happy... [message #432217 is a reply to message #432180 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JRock71  is currently offline JRock71

No Cups

greatgazoo wrote on Thu, 31 July 2008 23:26

It has been 24 hours since the big news and I really like the move of Tambellini joining the organziation as General Manager (in title only). Tambellini is a good and smart Hockey Man and was overlooked by the idiots in Vancouver. After Burke left, I thought Tambellini should have been the GM. The New York Islanders, The Toronto Make Me Laughs, The Los Angeles Things dropped the ball when they didn't hire Tambellini.

The Edmonton Oilers hit a home fun folks brining Tambellini in the organization. I am excitied by the Management by committee now. Don't Fool Yourself K-Lowe will have the final say when it comes to player personell. But K-Lowe, Tambellini and Pendergrast as the new management team is a great model in which the Oilers have learned from Detroit.

" Right, people you have to tell me these things, okay? I've been frozen for thirty years, okay? Throw me a frickin' bone here! I'm the boss! Need the info.
" - Dr. Evil

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432181 is a reply to message #431996 ]
Thu, 31 July 2008 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilLife  is currently offline OilLife

No Cups

I think too many people are reading into this, Lowe probably had this in the works since his good buddy Tambellini was overlooked in Vancouver to be promoted to GM. Pending final approval by the League of the sale of the Oilers to Katz its likely Daryl under close consideration gave Kevin full autonomy to proceed with this venture within the last few weeks. After some time to settle in Katz with some discussion by Lowe both likely agreed this was the best option for the team going forward.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432189 is a reply to message #432181 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goffer48  is currently offline goffer48

No Cups

Katz: THE MAN
Lowe: Still the man in charge.
Tambellini: Bellhop to incoming players, 'Yes" man to Lowe & uppers.

No "real" apparent changes to the hierarchy in the Oil way of doing things.
Spokesman/media fodder is all he will be for the next year or so IMO.

Much ado about nothing.

-Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
-Don't mess with old folks, they didn't get old by being stupid.

I can't agree with that [message #432202 is a reply to message #432189 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilmanFan  is currently offline OilmanFan

No Cups

The next year or so? He has signed a 4 year contract and is moving to Edm ASAP. The guy would not have signed here for this long just to be a puppet of Kevin Lowe. He will have great pull when it comes to making trades make no mistake about it.

Some of Kevin Lowe's first words was that it was mandated by ownership and that it happend in the last 4-6 days. Lowe would not have given up the GM position if he wasn't told to by ownership. This was not in anyway shape or form Lowe's doing. Firing a guy that is so loved by oiler fans and the city of Edm (for what I don't know) pretty much right when he got ownership would have been a PR nightmare for Katz and he was very well aware of all of that which is why he made it look like Lowe got promoted. It's all a smoke screen for what really happend today.

Don't believe me? Take a peek at the PC on TSN and look at the faces of both Lowe and Steve? Does Lowe really have the look and attitude of someone who really got promoted?

I bet a part of Lowe still longs for the days of the EIG. Lowe would still be GM right now and the name Steve would have been familiar to oiler fans only if his last name was Kelly.

If Seguin gets 51 pts:

G2K= $100
V4ance=$100

Nail Yakupov

Re: I can't agree with that [message #432210 is a reply to message #432202 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bobble  is currently offline Bobble

No Cups

OilmanFan wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 02:43

The next year or so? He has signed a 4 year contract and is moving to Edm ASAP. The guy would not have signed here for this long just to be a puppet of Kevin Lowe. He will have great pull when it comes to making trades make no mistake about it.

Some of Kevin Lowe's first words was that it was mandated by ownership and that it happend in the last 4-6 days. Lowe would not have given up the GM position if he wasn't told to by ownership. This was not in anyway shape or form Lowe's doing. Firing a guy that is so loved by oiler fans and the city of Edm (for what I don't know) pretty much right when he got ownership would have been a PR nightmare for Katz and he was very well aware of all of that which is why he made it look like Lowe got promoted. It's all a smoke screen for what really happend today.

Don't believe me? Take a peek at the PC on TSN and look at the faces of both Lowe and Steve? Does Lowe really have the look and attitude of someone who really got promoted?

I bet a part of Lowe still longs for the days of the EIG. Lowe would still be GM right now and the name Steve would have been familiar to oiler fans only if his last name was Kelly.

You know, I think this all started when Lowe was on his boat...

Why did Calgary host the Olympics?

So Calgarians could have a flame to look up to.

Re: I can't agree with that [message #432282 is a reply to message #432202 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

OilmanFan wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 02:43

Wasn't it reported that all this came up in a conversation between Lowe and Tamb? If that's the case it shoots a few holes in the theory that this was Lowe being replaced. In the article it also stated that this might be a precursor to Lowe being in control of the entire Rexall Sports division. Make no mistake Katz has Lowe as his 2nd in command, a buffer zone between him and hockey operations. A good thing, IMO. We don't need a meddling owner like Wang.

Yeah you're probably right. Who doesn't long for the day when we had no capital and had to trade our best players away every year? I sure do (note:sarcasm)!!!

And with the 1st pick overall the Edmonton Oilers are proud to select from the Swedish highschool league: Lars Svendsson.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432212 is a reply to message #431996 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Alright conspiracy theorists, calm down because you're talking crazy now.

Lowe is not gone. He's been promoted. He is now in charge of hockey operations for Rexall Sports. He went from just being in charge of the Oilers to being in charge of the Oilers, the Springfield Falcons, the Stockton Thunder and the Edmonton Oil Kings. No matter how you slice it, its a promotion. Its more responsibility but it also means he'll be less hands-on in each franchise.

Steve Tambellini is the GM of the Oilers. He will do everything Lowe used to do under the supervision of Lowe. All player decisions (including trades and contracts) need to be given the green light by Lowe or they do not happen. Tambellini will do the grunt work, i.e. the actually negotiations with players/agents/teams.

This is, in no way, a negative move for Kevin Lowe. It in no way tells of a negative reputation around the league. Other teams will still be dealing with Lowe, now they'll just be doing it indirectly.

Its an organizational restructuring. Any time a new boss comes in they like to shuffle the cards and rearrange the deck in a style that suits them. That's what Katz is doing here. This is not a phenomenon that is unique to hockey, it happens in all industries. Ask any government employee what happens to their job after a cabinet shuffle/election. Its just how businesses work. All supervisors have their own independent viewpoint on how things work best and they have the power to put that view into operation.

Its time to relax people. This is big news, sure, but lets take the conspiracy hats off. Its just a management shuffle, its not predictive of any future moves. Its just Katz realigning the desks in a manner that suits him.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432223 is a reply to message #432212 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souther  is currently offline Souther

No Cups

Basically Tambellini is just the face that other GMs around the league have to deal with instead of Lowes. Probably makes it easier now for us to make trades with other teams due to th fact that lowe "may" have rubbed some the wrong way

I'm sure Tambellini will do a great job.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432232 is a reply to message #432212 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Bobble wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 09:45

Alright conspiracy theorists, calm down because you're talking crazy now.

Lowe is not gone. He's been promoted. He is now in charge of hockey operations for Rexall Sports. He went from just being in charge of the Oilers to being in charge of the Oilers, the Springfield Falcons, the Stockton Thunder and the Edmonton Oil Kings. No matter how you slice it, its a promotion. Its more responsibility but it also means he'll be less hands-on in each franchise.

Steve Tambellini is the GM of the Oilers. He will do everything Lowe used to do under the supervision of Lowe. All player decisions (including trades and contracts) need to be given the green light by Lowe or they do not happen. Tambellini will do the grunt work, i.e. the actually negotiations with players/agents/teams.

This is, in no way, a negative move for Kevin Lowe. It in no way tells of a negative reputation around the league. Other teams will still be dealing with Lowe, now they'll just be doing it indirectly.

Its an organizational restructuring. Any time a new boss comes in they like to shuffle the cards and rearrange the deck in a style that suits them. That's what Katz is doing here. This is not a phenomenon that is unique to hockey, it happens in all industries. Ask any government employee what happens to their job after a cabinet shuffle/election. Its just how businesses work. All supervisors have their own independent viewpoint on how things work best and they have the power to put that view into operation.

Its time to relax people. This is big news, sure, but lets take the conspiracy hats off. Its just a management shuffle, its not predictive of any future moves. Its just Katz realigning the desks in a manner that suits him.

Well, this is for sure the company line and it may well be true. Though I'm getting a bit tired of getting scolded for not rushing to line up with it - the only people who for sure know how this went down are the principals. Your opinion and spOILer's opinion that the company line is real are just that, opinions. How would it have been presented to the world if something else was going on, like Kevin Lowe not initiating the change? Exactly the same way.

Certainly the local media is buying into the company line without a peep, which gives me a fair bit of confidence that it's actually real. Though you sorta wonder that none of them got the shadow of a headsup from any organizational sources that this was coming, or at least didn't pass it along to their readers.

For what it's worth, I really, really hope that what's being said is true, as I'm just fine with the old boys' club mentality (presumably because I'm old and these guys have been part of my life from 1979 onward) and groove on Kevin Lowe running the team and MacT coaching it.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432234 is a reply to message #432232 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

jadrain wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 10:23

Well, this is for sure the company line and it may well be true. Though I'm getting a bit tired of getting scolded for not rushing to line up with it - the only people who for sure know how this went down are the principals. Your opinion and spOILer's opinion that the company line is real are just that, opinions. How would it have been presented to the world if something else was going on, like Kevin Lowe not initiating the change? Exactly the same way.

Certainly the local media is buying into the company line without a peep, which gives me a fair bit of confidence that it's actually real. Though you sorta wonder that none of them got the shadow of a headsup from any organizational sources that this was coming, or at least didn't pass it along to their readers.

For what it's worth, I really, really hope that what's being said is true, as I'm just fine with the old boys' club mentality (presumably because I'm old and these guys have been part of my life from 1979 onward) and groove on Kevin Lowe running the team and MacT coaching it.

Woah there, I never said that Kevin Lowe initiated the change or was even on board with it. I think it was 100% Katz and it would have happened whether Lowe wanted it or not.

Either way, it is a promotion. Obviously Lowe accepted it because he was under contract as General Manager. If he hadn't accepted it they would have had to fire him to make this move. Contracts can be bought out, but the terms (i.e. job duties) on a contract can not change without consent from both sides. He may not have initiated it (and I don't think he did), but he did agree to it.

Like I said, its a shuffle. Tambellini is a good guy to bring into the organization and this is a good position for him. Lowe is being given more responsibility but its less intense. It will be interesting to see how this change effects the team.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432239 is a reply to message #432234 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Bobble wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 10:28

Woah there, I never said that Kevin Lowe initiated the change or was even on board with it. I think it was 100% Katz and it would have happened whether Lowe wanted it or not.

Either way, it is a promotion. Obviously Lowe accepted it because he was under contract as General Manager. If he hadn't accepted it they would have had to fire him to make this move. Contracts can be bought out, but the terms (i.e. job duties) on a contract can not change without consent from both sides. He may not have initiated it (and I don't think he did), but he did agree to it.

Like I said, its a shuffle. Tambellini is a good guy to bring into the organization and this is a good position for him. Lowe is being given more responsibility but its less intense. It will be interesting to see how this change effects the team.

About the best way I can see to square the circle if it really is a conscious decision to emulate the Detroit management structure is that Tambellini wouldn't have come as a lateral move to assistant GM, or (possibly more likely) that the out he had in his contract with Vancouver was worded such that the Oilers needed to offer him a more senior position in order to make it happen. In Detroit, after all, Ken Holland is the GM, and Jim Nill is the assistant GM.

Like I say, I honestly hope that this is the case, though I can't think of another team in the league in which the de facto GM is not called the GM.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432253 is a reply to message #432239 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

jadrain wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 10:38

About the best way I can see to square the circle if it really is a conscious decision to emulate the Detroit management structure is that Tambellini wouldn't have come as a lateral move to assistant GM, or (possibly more likely) that the out he had in his contract with Vancouver was worded such that the Oilers needed to offer him a more senior position in order to make it happen. In Detroit, after all, Ken Holland is the GM, and Jim Nill is the assistant GM.

Like I say, I honestly hope that this is the case, though I can't think of another team in the league in which the de facto GM is not called the GM.

If it wasn't Tambellini, who Lowe's worked closely with in the past, I'd be more likely to subscribe to one of these conspiracy theories. As it is, I think that it is A) a chance to emulate Detroit, which is a team that the Oilers seem to constantly compare themselves to lately and B) the only way to get Tambellini, since the clause in his contract suggested he could only negotiate to become a GM somewhere else. So you want to add a great hockey mind who you know fits in well with the team, while at the same time weakening a rival team who's GM you recently slammed in the media? Well, this is the ticket to get there. And in the process Lowe gets a promotion.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432283 is a reply to message #432253 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 11:26

jadrain wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 10:38

If it wasn't Tambellini, who Lowe's worked closely with in the past, I'd be more likely to subscribe to one of these conspiracy theories. As it is, I think that it is A) a chance to emulate Detroit, which is a team that the Oilers seem to constantly compare themselves to lately and B) the only way to get Tambellini, since the clause in his contract suggested he could only negotiate to become a GM somewhere else. So you want to add a great hockey mind who you know fits in well with the team, while at the same time weakening a rival team who's GM you recently slammed in the media? Well, this is the ticket to get there. And in the process Lowe gets a promotion.

Perfectly said!! Logic and reason prevail!!!

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432241 is a reply to message #432234 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MrOiler  is currently offline MrOiler

No Cups

In one of the interviews, KLo said a couple of things that I found interesting. With his new position he would have time to work on:

a) the Rexall Sports brand
b) the new arena project

Maybe this is a simple case of Mr. Katz knowing that there is a tremendous amount of work ahead for Kevin and there simply wouldn't be time to do this and the day to day GM role? Selling the arena project is going to be a full time job, alone.

It also buys the management team some time if the team misses the playoffs this year - i.e. how can anyone ask for Lowe's head when there's another GM running the team and how can you blame Tambellini, when he just started the job?

When you think about it, the assistant GM role has been doing many of the traditional GM roles for years now. How is the President/GM arrangement much different than that?

http://i474.photobucket.com/albums/rr109/MrOiler/Oilers/id_banner3.jpg

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432269 is a reply to message #431996 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilLife  is currently offline OilLife

No Cups

Heres a conspiracy for ya...MacT is asked to take a position with the Oilers in some form of management capacity and Pat Quinn is hired as the Oilers new head coach. Thus Pat Quinn joins his Hockey Canada/ Olympic buddies Lowe and Tambellini and Katz has a spokes person for Breathe-Right Strips throughout Rexall stores all over Canada. icon_biggrin

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432291 is a reply to message #432269 ]
Fri, 01 August 2008 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

OilLife wrote on Fri, 01 August 2008 12:33

Heres a conspiracy for ya...MacT is asked to take a position with the Oilers in some form of management capacity and Pat Quinn is hired as the Oilers new head coach. Thus Pat Quinn joins his Hockey Canada/ Olympic buddies Lowe and Tambellini and Katz has a spokes person for Breathe-Right Strips throughout Rexall stores all over Canada. icon_biggrin

Hers another one. The Oilers weakened the'Nucks's and strengthened themselves. Lowe and Katz are looking long-term and hired Tamb. to take a run at Luongo (reportedly had a strong realtionship). Lowe/Katz bring in Tamb. Tamb brings in Luongo. Edmonton brings home cup. Beauty!!!!

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432326 is a reply to message #431996 ]
Sat, 02 August 2008 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Watched the interview with Rishaug on TSN.

Tambellini sounds a lot better to listen to than Lowe, thats for sure.

Ryan uhhh... he was the heart and soul uhhh.... but we uhh.. got some uhhh good young talent...uhhh coming back to the Oilers

Seriously, his interviews took so long with all the pauses and uhhhs. But he got some good deals done.

Hopefully a better speaker means a better negotiator.

Clean house or bust

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432332 is a reply to message #432326 ]
Sat, 02 August 2008 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Snowman99  is currently offline Snowman99

No Cups

newbie but ole school...i'm happy, Katz has taken the reins... icon_nod

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432429 is a reply to message #431996 ]
Mon, 04 August 2008 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Copper Jacket  is currently offline Copper Jacket

No Cups

In my view, this is a replacement for Scott Howson. The titles have changed to give Steve the GM title, but KLowe will call the majority of the shots. Looks like a play out of the Red Wings book. Don't focus on the titles, look at the roles, Lowe will be less of the public face of the club but will maintain the hands on role with the hockey side of the club.

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432430 is a reply to message #432429 ]
Mon, 04 August 2008 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Do people envision Tambellini throwing his hands in the air after a season or two? Not liking how his role has panned out?

Lowe isn't exactly Ken Holland.

Or is it just the pessimist in me?

#CANCELbob

Re: Lowe President of Hockey Ops, GM Tabellini [message #432434 is a reply to message #431996 ]
Mon, 04 August 2008 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

Here's an interesting take on it for the negative side of the coin.

http://www.pommpie.com/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleI d=93&blogId=1

I don't see cause for mass celebration with Tambellini in charge, but I'm not sure I agree with what was said on the blog post. I still figure Lowe is in power, but time will tell I suppose!

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Promote Rick Olyczyk to Assistant GM
Next Topic:Payroll for 1990 Stanley Cup Team
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca