F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision"
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #820999]
Mon, 17 April 2023 10:46 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Treliving leaves the Flames...next up does Sutter get promoted or jettisoned?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #821000 is a reply to message #820999 ]
Mon, 17 April 2023 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 April 2023 10:46

Promoted! He knows the Flames were just too soft. He recognizes the Treliving made a valiant effort to retool the team on the fly, but ultimately he just got too soft of players. He can explain this to management. He can definitely do both head coach and GM jobs or just hire Eakins to be coach while he gets a tougher team.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #821001 is a reply to message #820999 ]
Mon, 17 April 2023 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 April 2023 10:46

GM+coach Sutter incoming!

https://media.tenor.com/TPXMriXwLD4AAAAC/lets-go-the-rock.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #821010 is a reply to message #821001 ]
Mon, 17 April 2023 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Honestly, Treliving did a pretty decent job of retooling with the hand he was dealt last offseason. Too bad the team hates their coach.

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #821015 is a reply to message #821010 ]
Mon, 17 April 2023 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Supposedly the Flames offered a deal to Tre a few times and he declined. I think that signals he and the Owner aren't on the same page. Just my opinion but I don't think Sutter was his choice to hire and I definitely don't think he was his choice to resign. Based on some of the comments from guys like Backlund and Lindholm who were very non-comital about resigning and almost sounded like they won't, I bet there was complaints about Sutter at the end of last year and it's only gotten worse this year in the room.

It's just my opinion but I think the Flames Owner operates how the EIG used too. He wants the team to be in the hunt for the playoffs every season because it's good for business. He's not interested in building a winner because to win, you need star power and usually to get star power, you have to be bad and draft it. So if you have an owner who just wants to operate to be in the hunt every year and wants moves to keep your team mediocre because it's good for business. Then you have a locker room crushing coach forced upon you because he can coach and keep a team "in the hunt" but you know he will cause headaches for you with the players, why would you want to keep that job?

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #821024 is a reply to message #821015 ]
Mon, 17 April 2023 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 April 2023 14:41

Supposedly the Flames offered a deal to Tre a few times and he declined. I think that signals he and the Owner aren't on the same page. Just my opinion but I don't think Sutter was his choice to hire and I definitely don't think he was his choice to resign. Based on some of the comments from guys like Backlund and Lindholm who were very non-comital about resigning and almost sounded like they won't, I bet there was complaints about Sutter at the end of last year and it's only gotten worse this year in the room.

It's just my opinion but I think the Flames Owner operates how the EIG used too. He wants the team to be in the hunt for the playoffs every season because it's good for business. He's not interested in building a winner because to win, you need star power and usually to get star power, you have to be bad and draft it. So if you have an owner who just wants to operate to be in the hunt every year and wants moves to keep your team mediocre because it's good for business. Then you have a locker room crushing coach forced upon you because he can coach and keep a team "in the hunt" but you know he will cause headaches for you with the players, why would you want to keep that job?

I think that you could be right that A) he and Calgary ownership wasn't on the same page and B) that they were part of hiring and re-signing Sutter. That would certainly irk me if I was the GM, especially if the team was under-performing and there were signs that the coach might be part of the problem.

I disagree on the whole "gotta be bad to build a winner" thing. I think there's a lot of evidence that there's multiple ways to build a winning team, and that being bad doesn't guarantee anything. The Oilers, Sabres and Coyotes all spent a whole bunch of time being miserable teams starting 10-12 years ago and for years after. Two thirds of those teams still aren't in the playoffs and the third one needed to get one of the best players in the history of the game and then still took WAAAAAY too long to get good.

The Bruins haven't been bad since the year they got Seguin - they had no section where they were awful for a long period of time. Tampa hasn't been bad since before the Oilers drafted Taylor Hall. They continue to be good. Lots of teams don't have multi-year swoons, and there's clearly teams that get lots of high draft picks and never pull themselves out of the mud.

On top of that, Calgary hasn't been languishing in obscurity here. They won the division last year. with a 111 point season. They had huge seasons from a couple of forwards, and an all-star campaign from their goalie. They had some big departures, but looked on paper to have replaced them and more when all was said and done.

This year has been a total disaster for them and even this year, looked through a certain lens could have something to do with luck. Their team PDO was the 31st in the league and they had more one goal games than anyone else, and even with that they fell just two points short. I'm not sure that's a team that's at the point where they need to pull the plug and tear everything down and in fact, with the age of their players and the length of their big deals, I'm not sure it's really a great possibility. They have to push to be competitive because they're not trading Kadri or Huberdeau now.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #821031 is a reply to message #820999 ]
Mon, 17 April 2023 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Shannon was postulating that Treliving wanted the ability to fire his coach if required.. owner didn't agree.. Sutter was finishing out his contract.. Trev walked.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #821042 is a reply to message #820999 ]
Mon, 17 April 2023 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Calgary ownership just can't quit Sutter.

Seems Treliving wasn't agreeing and couldn't work with the old fart.

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #822533 is a reply to message #820999 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hilarious take from political commentator Rick Bell on the Sutter dismissal:

https://edmontonsun.com/opinion/columnists/bell-sutter-pushe d-out-by-snowflake-hockey-players-gimme-a-break/wcm/7c69c900 -ec1a-44c3-a39e-bbcbccccac35

Mr. Bell believes that the players are just too "woke" and that they should've sucked it up and just done what Darryl said to do like they woulda in the olden days of yore!

Man - I wish that Bell's opinion carried more weight in the Flames' head office because that would have been a phenomenal message to tell the players for next year and definitely set the team on pace for success!

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #822739 is a reply to message #820999 ]
Sat, 06 May 2023 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Seems as if Flames are mainly looking "internally" for GM candidates but on an external level, Shawn Horcoff has been rumored to be a target currently serving as AGM of Detroit.

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #823837 is a reply to message #820999 ]
Sun, 21 May 2023 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Conroy it is...per TSN

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #823839 is a reply to message #823837 ]
Sun, 21 May 2023 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sun, 21 May 2023 13:05

Conroy it is...per TSN

Amazing. Love it.

Here's hoping he hires a bunch of his ex-teammates to help out!

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #823845 is a reply to message #823839 ]
Sun, 21 May 2023 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 21 May 2023 16:12

Conroy it is...per TSN

Amazing. Love it.

I am liking this model.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #823846 is a reply to message #823839 ]
Sun, 21 May 2023 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Conroy it is...per TSN

Amazing. Love it.

Would Staios beat Conroy in a fight?

Have they fought?

Am I opening a can here? I’m 8 beers in on an empty stomach.

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #823849 is a reply to message #823846 ]
Sun, 21 May 2023 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 21 May 2023 18:48

Conroy it is...per TSN

Amazing. Love it.

Have they fought?

Conroy only had 3 fights - here's the only one against an Oiler:

https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/86712

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #823852 is a reply to message #823849 ]
Mon, 22 May 2023 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 21 May 2023 21:15

Conroy it is...per TSN

Amazing. Love it.

Have they fought?

Forgot that tilt. Sammy stepped up.

The colorman saying unanimous decision for Gagner. I don’t know. He got tagged a couple times quite good.

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #823854 is a reply to message #823852 ]
Mon, 22 May 2023 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 22 May 2023 12:03

Adam wrote on Sun, 21 May 2023 21:15

Conroy it is...per TSN

Amazing. Love it.

Have they fought?

Forgot that tilt. Sammy stepped up.

The colorman saying unanimous decision for Gagner. I don’t know. He got tagged a couple times quite good.

Yeah - he was giving up a lot of size and weight. I think he did pretty well there, but I don't know that it was a lopsided battle.

He was doing what he could to claw his way in to Quinn's good books. If I remember rightly, he'd played as a 18-year old for MacTavish, but Quinn actually preferred Schremp and wanted to send Gagner to the minors. Got overruled, Schremp got claimed on waivers and Quinn stuck Sammy on the 4th line.

Of course, he had JF Jacques on the first line and that Ryan(?) Stone on the second, so he was making a few oddball choices in hindsight.

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #823859 is a reply to message #823839 ]
Mon, 22 May 2023 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Conroy it is...per TSN

Amazing. Love it.

Stunning lack of effort by the Flames with such a big mess to fix.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/kUFlw7XaGE36w/giphy.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Treliving & Flames "make a mutual decision" [message #823861 is a reply to message #823859 ]
Mon, 22 May 2023 22:38 Go to previous message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 22 May 2023 23:00

Conroy it is...per TSN

Amazing. Love it.

Stunning lack of effort by the Flames with such a big mess to fix.

https://media4.giphy.com/media/kUFlw7XaGE36w/giphy.gif

Appears as if Dave Nonis will be joining Conroy in that management group.......HAH

Previous Topic:Toronto Looking for new GM +
Next Topic:Coyotes lose referendum Vote on New Arena
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca