Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Staios as GM???
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Staios as GM??? [message #823605]
Mon, 15 May 2023 12:41 Go to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Just read this on ON:

"Steve Staios is highly regarded by many as an up-and-coming GM, and today on the DFO Rundown podcast my co-host Frank Seravalli outlined he can see Ken Holland holding the President of Hockey Operations while Staios has the GM title.

I think change is on the horizon in Edmonton,” said Seravalli. “When you consider what is looming out there in other searches, I expect the Oilers to be very proactive and protective of Steve Staios. He is someone they value, and they have a thin staff as it is. The Oilers see Staios as their next general manager, and how quickly that happens will depend on a few things."

Full article: https://oilersnation.com/news/edmonton-oilers-off-season-mov es-steve-staios-in-as-gm

Adam is going to love that icon_biggrin

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823606 is a reply to message #823605 ]
Mon, 15 May 2023 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

I thought Brad Holland was the future?

I don't mind former players working their way up, and it sounds like Staios has been doing that. I think just because he played for us for so long and we have been burned by former players in management roles it makes us all really wary of this.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823611 is a reply to message #823605 ]
Mon, 15 May 2023 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 15 May 2023 12:41

Just read this on ON:

"Steve Staios is highly regarded by many as an up-and-coming GM, and today on the DFO Rundown podcast my co-host Frank Seravalli outlined he can see Ken Holland holding the President of Hockey Operations while Staios has the GM title.

I think change is on the horizon in Edmonton,” said Seravalli. “When you consider what is looming out there in other searches, I expect the Oilers to be very proactive and protective of Steve Staios. He is someone they value, and they have a thin staff as it is. The Oilers see Staios as their next general manager, and how quickly that happens will depend on a few things."

Full article: https://oilersnation.com/news/edmonton-oilers-off-season-mov es-steve-staios-in-as-gm

Well, if we're gonna do ex-Oilers, at least we can get ones that worked their way up the hockey ranks the right way. Not guys that get a job because they have drinks with Katz and talk about the glory days.

Staios seems like a smart guy, maybe we get lucky for the first time in forever. If not, meh, par for the course.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823612 is a reply to message #823611 ]
Mon, 15 May 2023 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 15 May 2023 13:05

Just read this on ON:

Well, if we're gonna do ex-Oilers, at least we can get ones that worked their way up the hockey ranks the right way. Not guys that get a job because they have drinks with Katz and talk about the glory days.

Staios seems like a smart guy, maybe we get lucky for the first time in forever. If not, meh, par for the course.

Unless this is a big old red herring to make the nepotism hiring a little more palatable.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823613 is a reply to message #823612 ]
Mon, 15 May 2023 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I don't view Staios as "another former Oiler hire". He doesn't have ties to the glory days. He spent time with the Leafs organization in player development. Then he moved on to being the Pres and GM of the Hamilton Bulldogs. He's regarded as very smart, soon to be NHL GM. He's paid his dues. He was brought to the Oilers as a "Special advisor". In my opinion, you don't leave a Pres and GM job to be a special advisor unless there is something more substantial coming. To me, stepping down as a Pres and GM of a junior club, which is usually the stepping stone to being an NHL higher up, just to be a guy in a room to throw out an opinion is a step back in my opinion. So I think he will be moved up.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823640 is a reply to message #823612 ]
Mon, 15 May 2023 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 15 May 2023 13:08

Just read this on ON:

Unless this is a big old red herring to make the nepotism hiring a little more palatable.

Wasn’t there a big fuss because Staios and Moreau went on vacation with the MacTavishes one summer?

I’m thrilled if Bobby “Slush Fund” Nicholson leaves the organization. Taking Holland out of the role of decision maker is a great thing. Hiring another ex-player with very limited relevant experience? Not great.

Staios has played a significant role with the Hamilton Bulldogs, but really, what relevance do you get from managing a minor league franchise? There’s no salary cap to manage. There’s very few contracts to worry about - none for your best players - and there are no trades. He probably learned a lot though in his year as special assistant to the general manager here in Edmonton though….

I mean, what are the odds of him being substantially worse than our current GM? He’ll still have him as a boss, but Holland is pretty sleepy. He’s not likely to have a lot to add.

I will say that if you believe the leaked press clippings, the Oilers really do have a brass to be envied. Haven’t we also heard about how in demand Keith Gretzky and Brad Holland are? Clearly it must be the dream team there. What a coincidence that they’re all former Oilers or related to someone else in management?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823642 is a reply to message #823640 ]
Mon, 15 May 2023 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 May 2023 21:43

Just read this on ON:

Wasn’t there a big fuss because Staios and Moreau went on vacation with the MacTavishes one summer?

I’m thrilled if Bobby “Slush Fund” Nicholson leaves the organization. Taking Holland out of the role of decision maker is a great thing. Hiring another ex-player with very limited relevant experience? Not great.

Staios has played a significant role with the Hamilton Bulldogs, but really, what relevance do you get from managing a minor league franchise? There’s no salary cap to manage. There’s very few contracts to worry about - none for your best players - and there are no trades. He probably learned a lot though in his year as special assistant to the general manager here in Edmonton though….

I mean, what are the odds of him being substantially worse than our current GM? He’ll still have him as a boss, but Holland is pretty sleepy. He’s not likely to have a lot to add.

I will say that if you believe the leaked press clippings, the Oilers really do have a brass to be envied. Haven’t we also heard about how in demand Keith Gretzky and Brad Holland are? Clearly it must be the dream team there. What a coincidence that they’re all former Oilers or related to someone else in management?

Here, get a taste of the Staios hype!

https://www.thespec.com/sports/hockey/opinion/2022/10/06/the res-a-reason-the-edmonton-oilers-want-steve-staios-a-lot-of- them-actually.html

Bold moves, multiple championships. Excellent hiring of coaches and scouts to find underrated players. All boxes triple checked.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823655 is a reply to message #823640 ]
Tue, 16 May 2023 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Just read this on ON:

Running a CHL team is much different than an NHL team, but even though they do not have a salary cap, managing money in the league is a huge issue. Player procurement can be difficult with the allure of college hockey, and managing assets to stay relevant for extended periods of time is probably the hardest of any league.

Players age out, and you can only have 3 - 20 year olds. Import player cap. Win windows are small, so you have to make bold decisions on going for it, or staying pat or selling off for the future. The draft is a great unknown for the most part.

If a GM is excelling in the CHL, then I have time for a person like that. The article Kr55 linked in also highlights that he surrounds himself with quality people who fit in to the group dynamic.

I am excited and curious to see what he can do. He might not be able manage the Cap like Chiarelli did, but he would hard pressed to hire worse people to surround himself with, or make worse trades than a lot of experienced GM's.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823708 is a reply to message #823655 ]
Wed, 17 May 2023 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 16 May 2023 12:08

Just read this on ON:

Running a CHL team is much different than an NHL team, but even though they do not have a salary cap, managing money in the league is a huge issue. Player procurement can be difficult with the allure of college hockey, and managing assets to stay relevant for extended periods of time is probably the hardest of any league.

Players age out, and you can only have 3 - 20 year olds. Import player cap. Win windows are small, so you have to make bold decisions on going for it, or staying pat or selling off for the future. The draft is a great unknown for the most part.

If a GM is excelling in the CHL, then I have time for a person like that. The article Kr55 linked in also highlights that he surrounds himself with quality people who fit in to the group dynamic.

I am excited and curious to see what he can do. He might not be able manage the Cap like Chiarelli did, but he would hard pressed to hire worse people to surround himself with, or make worse trades than a lot of experienced GM's.

I stand a little correected in that I thought the Hamilton Bulldogs was still an AHL team. You can have trades in the CHL, so there's that.

I am still skeptical that the best person available A) is a former Oilers player who B) just happens to already be in the organization.

It's possible we luck in to a great hire, but the hiring practices of the Oilers are consistent - we go get old players, most of whom have Oilers or Team Canada connections and who Kevin Lowe likes. We don't tend to interview, and even where we say we're going to, we get distracted easily (like with Holland - where they abandoned their interview process to jump to hire a guy long, LONG past his prime).

We've heard this before with Brad Holland and Keith Gretzky that they're great hockey minds that any other team would jump at having. Hell, we heard the same thing about Craig MacTavish for that matter. And Scott Howson! I just don't trust the glowing reports because until I see evidence that the Oilers are going to stray out of their comfort zone and accept that there's more to running a team than having "been in the dressing room", then we're almost certainly doomed to have some management weakness.

If any of this turns out to be true and Staios gets a promotion, I hope the article is right and Staios is great at building a high performing management team and a phenomenal culture because we could really use those things. It's been an incredibly long time here without either.

Worth noting - I am not a fan of recycling failed NHL GMs either. I think you have to look for different skillsets - and that the most successful teams in the future are going to have a lot of people who aren't just old hockey players in their management groups - no matter who has that title. I think most old hockey players aren't comfortable hiring lawyers and stats guys. They prefer the company of their own ilk, and so you end up with management teams that are just big echo chambers of people with similar mindsets. It leads to weakness compared to more rounded rival teams, and they lack the varied skillsets needed to be successful. If Staios (again, assuming a change actually happens) can buck that trend, he'd be the first Oilers manager to do so. The fact that he's already in-house doesn't make me feel any great comfort that he will though.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 May 2023 16:15]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823710 is a reply to message #823708 ]
Wed, 17 May 2023 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 May 2023 13:50

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 16 May 2023 12:08

Just read this on ON:

I stand a little correected in that I thought the Hamilton Bulldogs was still an AHL team. You can have trades in the CHL, so there's that.

I am still skeptical that the best person available A) is a former Oilers player who B) just happens to already be in the organization.

It's possible we luck in to a great hire, but the hiring practices of the Oilers are consistent - we go get old players, most of whom have Oilers or Team Canada connections and who Kevin Lowe likes. We don't tend to interview, and even where we say we're going to, we get distracted easily (like with Holland - where they abandoned their interview process to jump to hire a guy long, LONG past his prime).

We've heard this before with Brad Holland and Keith Gretzky that they're great hockey minds that any other team would jump at having. Hell, we heard the same thing about Craig MacTavish for that matter. I just don't trust the glowing reports because until I see evidence that the Oilers are going to stray out of their comfort zone and accept that there's more to running a team than having "been in the dressing room", then we're almost certainly doomed to have some management weakness.

If any of this turns out to be true and Staios gets a promotion, I hope the article is right and Staios is great at building a high performing management team and a phenomenal culture because we could really use those things. It's been an incredibly long time here without either.

Stupid organizations don't have succession plans in place for older executives. Smart organizations recognize what is coming and start making moves in preparation for the older exec leaving so when it happens, it's a seamless transition.

Staios has been identified outside of the organization as a future NHL GM. The fact he played with the Oilers should never stop a team from bringing in more organizational talent. In my opinion, the smart play would to to start passing off duties to Staios while Holland is still here, have them tag team the job, then Holland steps away at the end of next season lifting the cup.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823713 is a reply to message #823710 ]
Wed, 17 May 2023 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

AND bring in Horcoff as asst GM.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823715 is a reply to message #823713 ]
Wed, 17 May 2023 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Wed, 17 May 2023 15:14

What's Ethan Moreau doing these days? Marty Reasoner? Surely there's some management potential in all of them, right?

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823725 is a reply to message #823715 ]
Wed, 17 May 2023 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 May 2023 16:17

What's Ethan Moreau doing these days? Marty Reasoner? Surely there's some management potential in all of them, right?

Obviously you get Moreau to head up the strength and conditioning side of the organization. I hear teams have had great success with player health and endurance when working with the Moreau family.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823731 is a reply to message #823725 ]
Thu, 18 May 2023 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 17 May 2023 18:25

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 May 2023 16:17

Obviously you get Moreau to head up the strength and conditioning side of the organization. I hear teams have had great success with player health and endurance when working with the Moreau family.

Yeah, that was weird hey. For one year everyone had career years and then couldn’t stop getting hurt for the rest of their time in Edmonton. Very very weird.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823826 is a reply to message #823715 ]
Sat, 20 May 2023 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 17 May 2023 15:17

Horcoff is being groomed by the Red Wings to be their GM (current AGM, was dir player development), and also has a degree in finance and math.

If I was picking he’d be at the top of my candidate list.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823833 is a reply to message #823826 ]
Sun, 21 May 2023 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sat, 20 May 2023 13:32

Horcoff is being groomed by the Red Wings to be their GM (current AGM, was dir player development), and also has a degree in finance and math.

Haha...being groomed by Yzerman, who hasn't looked like much since he left Tampa where they surrounded him with a diverse and talented management group. He's retreated to the old hockey player comfort zone of hiring a bunch of other old players to surround him and build a nice little echo chamber...

Educated players are probably a better place to start then guys who did nothing but hockey, but I'm not sure it's saying a lot. My preference is definitely going to be for someone who's done some things besides just played high level hockey and worked for hockey teams.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #824201 is a reply to message #823833 ]
Thu, 08 June 2023 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Teammate Avry  is currently offline Teammate Avry

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 21 May 2023 10:46

Haha...being groomed by Yzerman, who hasn't looked like much since he left Tampa where they surrounded him with a diverse and talented management group. He's retreated to the old hockey player comfort zone of hiring a bunch of other old players to surround him and build a nice little echo chamber...

Educated players are probably a better place to start then guys who did nothing but hockey, but I'm not sure it's saying a lot. My preference is definitely going to be for someone who's done some things besides just played high level hockey and worked for hockey teams.

I'm surprised Stu Grimson is a name that hasn't come up for any team or even a role in the NHLPA. Educated player but he's done more than just hockey. Know he's in the media right now but he's also a lawyer in Nashville and has been for a very long time.

A guy who if you turned into a gumbo is a wild mix of sports podcaster/TV reporter and sports writer.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #824203 is a reply to message #824201 ]
Thu, 08 June 2023 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Teammate Avry wrote on Thu, 08 June 2023 13:23

Adam wrote on Sun, 21 May 2023 10:46

I'm surprised Stu Grimson is a name that hasn't come up for any team or even a role in the NHLPA. Educated player but he's done more than just hockey. Know he's in the media right now but he's also a lawyer in Nashville and has been for a very long time.

Who better to replace George Parros?

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823746 is a reply to message #823713 ]
Thu, 18 May 2023 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

He'd probably replace Woodcroft with Weight as HC.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823747 is a reply to message #823746 ]
Thu, 18 May 2023 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

And Smytty as A!

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823617 is a reply to message #823605 ]
Mon, 15 May 2023 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

As I am coming out of my funk I find this news uplifting.

Let's see how creative he can be. I never looked at the game review from last night (still too difficult to process), but goaltending has to be a hot topic. We were not good enough and we do not have the trust in Campbell at this time.

New GM duties:

Find cap space and upgrade - Trade Yams for a cheaper version with size? Move Ceci for someone with hands and good feet (2 years left will be chore to move)?

Address the goaltending. Both are signed, and Campbell can probably only be bought out.

What else?

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823620 is a reply to message #823617 ]
Mon, 15 May 2023 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 15 May 2023 14:17

As I am coming out of my funk I find this news uplifting.

Let's see how creative he can be. I never looked at the game review from last night (still too difficult to process), but goaltending has to be a hot topic. We were not good enough and we do not have the trust in Campbell at this time.

New GM duties:

Find cap space and upgrade - Trade Yams for a cheaper version with size? Move Ceci for someone with hands and good feet (2 years left will be chore to move)?

Address the goaltending. Both are signed, and Campbell can probably only be bought out.

What else?

They have to get rid of Yamo. For 3.1 mill, he isn't producing anywhere close to what he has too that is with one of Leon or McD at center. He's producing what 1mill players do. I don't know if that will change. In my opinion, championship teams take chances contract wise on players that have elite skill in efforts to hit homeruns but they pay guys that have OK skill according to what they do. Yamo is a 10-15 goal 25-35 pt guy. Those guys should be making 2 mill tops. I'd be calling the Hawks trying to trade them Yamo. They have Bedard coming and if you look at their roster, they might have 4 or 5 NHL forwards at best signed. They need live bodies.

Make a call on Foegele. I like him, I thought he had a good playoff. He's got size, some skill, skates really well and shows flashes but similar to Yamo, cap wise, he doesn't score enough to make 2.75 mill. He's being paid for what they hoped he would become and it hasn't happened.

If you look at both Yamo and Foegele as being bottom 6 guys who score you 10-13 goals, 25-30 pts, you can get those guys for 1-1.5 mill. Janmark is a prime example. Makes 1.25 mill, kills some penalties, scored 10 g, 25 pts in 66 games. That's with little to no time with McD and Leon.

They need to decide what to do with Broberg. He's got lots of potential but he needs to play. Kulak who I really like and I thought had a good playoff is in the spot Broberg should be in. It makes no sense to have Broberg as your 7th dman and you can't have a 2.75 mill 7th dman. So it's 1 or the other in my opinion. You could get value for Kulak if that is the decision.

They need to upgrade Ceci. It was clear to me, he was hurt. He couldn't get to pucks like he used too. But he had a rough year. Moving forward, Ekholm and Bouchard should be tied at the hip. Anyone who thinks being paired with Ekholm didn't help Bouchard elevate, I think you are blind. I think Nurse to excel needs a much more stable, predictable partner. He basically needs a slightly better skating Larsson. A guy who is defensive and he knows exactly what he gets from him. As soon as Nurse isn't sure what his partner is doing or capable of that game, he tries to do it all himself and it's a disaster. Ceci has a good contract for a top 4 guy, they need an upgrade on Ceci defensively. Use Ceci and something to get a guy who is better defensively to give Nurse the stability as a partner he needs because like it or not, Nurse with his contract is here. So find someone that better offsets his skills.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #823656 is a reply to message #823620 ]
Tue, 16 May 2023 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

And NO BUYOUTS!

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #824228 is a reply to message #823656 ]
Tue, 13 June 2023 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am curious to see what happens with Staios now that the guy who he had ties too is buying the Sens. I think the Oilers originally plan on letting Holland finish his contract out as GM as he's in the last year. In that time they are stock piling internal candidates like Brad Holland, like Staios. This last year, whatever "training" needed to happen would happen. Holland would if he wants to stick around move up into Nicholson's role and then they bump up whatever internal candidate. Probably Statios. But if the Oilers have identified him as a key guy going forward, they better increase his role, make him Co- GM with Holland.

There is no cap on hockey operations staff. I am all for increasing that and every non Oilers related hockey person says Staios is a ready made, NHL GM in waiting.

Re: Staios as GM??? [message #824229 is a reply to message #824228 ]
Tue, 13 June 2023 10:15 Go to previous message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 13 June 2023 08:49

I am curious to see what happens with Staios now that the guy who he had ties too is buying the Sens. I think the Oilers originally plan on letting Holland finish his contract out as GM as he's in the last year. In that time they are stock piling internal candidates like Brad Holland, like Staios. This last year, whatever "training" needed to happen would happen. Holland would if he wants to stick around move up into Nicholson's role and then they bump up whatever internal candidate. Probably Statios. But if the Oilers have identified him as a key guy going forward, they better increase his role, make him Co- GM with Holland.

There is no cap on hockey operations staff. I am all for increasing that and every non Oilers related hockey person says Staios is a ready made, NHL GM in waiting.

New owner will probably want his guys in place, but will he wait a full season to make major changes?

Do you hire a new coaching staff and GM 2 weeks before the draft? Seems rushed.

If you are firing Dorian it is either prior to the draft or next spring. I cannot see them allowing an outgoing GM to make some major draft day decisions and then bring in someone new, nor can I see them going into the draft with a blind GM who does not know the player farm system, current prospects or the current scouting department.

I think some of these Staios rumours are just "I have no hockey news to report, so let's speculate and create content". Reporters need clicks.

Previous Topic:Sam Gagner Oilers PTO
Next Topic:2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca