This day on April 24
None

Happy Birthday To: foxbird, sspOILERS, hazmat, Tarnom, RankinSpankin

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4)Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823268 is a reply to message #823267 ]
Thu, 11 May 2023 19:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 11 May 2023 18:53

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 11 May 2023 17:33

PA is their top player, he's on the PK, PP, and responsible for a lot of their puck movement up ice.. it'll be interesting to see how much pressure the Oil can put on Theodore and how he handles it .. it wasn't looking too good last game.

Bouchard Viking

Ceci Kulak

Dezzie BroBerg

Kulak + Ceci might be able to handle the load..

Big question is Broberg.. he'll be on his proper side so he should feel more at home than playing the RD like he's done at times in the playoffs so far.

Not liking the idea of Vinny and Broberg on the ice together. I like Vinny, but he gets exposed by quick teams.

I think they would get VERY limited ice time.. together.. probably more likely alternate with Ceci and Kulak ie.

Ceci Kulak

Ceci Broberg

Dezzie Kulak

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823263 is a reply to message #823116 ]
Thu, 11 May 2023 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Parros is a joke. That is all.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823266 is a reply to message #823263 ]
Thu, 11 May 2023 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 May 2023 19:16

What a great precedent.

I guess they should just dress Shore Friday. He can try to break Eichels arm.

It’s only 1 game. And it’s only Shore.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823275 is a reply to message #823266 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 11 May 2023 19:33

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 May 2023 19:16

What a great precedent.

I guess they should just dress Shore Friday. He can try to break Eichels arm.

It’s only 1 game. And it’s only Shore.

Dev's a killer!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823269 is a reply to message #823263 ]
Thu, 11 May 2023 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 May 2023 18:16

https://i.imgflip.com/7lh30w.gif

[Updated on: Thu, 11 May 2023 22:19]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823265 is a reply to message #823116 ]
Thu, 11 May 2023 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Every opportunity for parity must be taken. Thems the NHL rules I guess

If nurse didn't instigate then Pietro likely just gets a fine.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 May 2023 19:36]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823271 is a reply to message #823265 ]
Thu, 11 May 2023 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 11 May 2023 19:18

Every opportunity for parity must be taken. Thems the NHL rules I guess

If nurse didn't instigate then Pietro likely just gets a fine.

I 100% agree. These suspensions were always going to offset each other once they reached the DoPS.

This is the way.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823272 is a reply to message #823116 ]
Thu, 11 May 2023 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Confirmed .. Craig Button is an idiot.
Just saw him on Jay Onrait talking about the Nurse suspension.. credit to Jay

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823274 is a reply to message #823272 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

You know who else is a coward about this stuff? Elliotte Friedman. He's probably got the biggest voice in hockey these days, and he won't say boo. He re-tweeted the announcement from player safety, and then avoided saying anything else.

Did he say much on the intermission shows tonight?

I think he's skirted the issue a lot lately on controversial things. Has zero interest in shaking any trees now.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823276 is a reply to message #823274 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 00:45

You know who else is a coward about this stuff? Elliotte Friedman. He's probably got the biggest voice in hockey these days, and he won't say boo. He re-tweeted the announcement from player safety, and then avoided saying anything else.

I think he's skirted the issue a lot lately on controversial things. Has zero interest in shaking any trees now.

Friedman isn't a coward. Calling him a coward implies he has agency over his actions. He does not. Friedman is simply fulfilling the role he signed up to play. When media, any media, becomes a merchant of privileged information they become beholden to their sources. Any deviation from the wished of the source puts the flow of information at risk. And what use is a Friedman without the flow of privileged information? Friedman has to play their game when the game is required. This is the inevitable end point for anyone whose livelihood is made from making sure we the consumer get the right information. This isn't just limited to hockey.

The funny thing is the people who consume this carefully parsed information not only support this cozy arrangement, but demand it. Rishaug was pillared for reporting something outside of the established bounds. Frankly, it was his most interesting piece of reporting in years. I don't expect rare instances of reporting like that to become the norm.

None of this applies to people like Stauffer.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823278 is a reply to message #823276 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 01:38

Friedman isn't a coward. Calling him a coward implies he has agency over his actions. He does not. Friedman is simply fulfilling the role he signed up to play. When media, any media, becomes a merchant of privileged information they become beholden to their sources. Any deviation from the wished of the source puts the flow of information at risk. And what use is a Friedman without the flow of privileged information? Friedman has to play their game when the game is required. This is the inevitable end point for anyone whose livelihood is made from making sure we the consumer get the right information. This isn't just limited to hockey.

The funny thing is the people who consume this carefully parsed information not only support this cozy arrangement, but demand it. Rishaug was pillared for reporting something outside of the established bounds. Frankly, it was his most interesting piece of reporting in years. I don't expect rare instances of reporting like that to become the norm.

It was pretty funny on SN Eakins was doing the normal mental gymnastics thing to explain why the NHL got it right and Bieksa said something along the lines of "the NHL isn't hiring y'know"

No one should expect anything resembling truth or integrity from "journalists" but from a hockey panel/entertainment perspective Bieksa is pretty great and Eakins seems to be really awkward and out of place.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823279 is a reply to message #823278 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Jay wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 07:36

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 01:38

It was pretty funny on SN Eakins was doing the normal mental gymnastics thing to explain why the NHL got it right and Bieksa said something along the lines of "the NHL isn't hiring y'know"

No one should expect anything resembling truth or integrity from "journalists" but from a hockey panel/entertainment perspective Bieksa is pretty great and Eakins seems to be really awkward and out of place.

Ugh...watching Eakins flap his hands around gave me awful flashbacks to a period I thought I'd wiped from my memory banks.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823312 is a reply to message #823274 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 May 2023 23:45

Listen to today’s 32 thoughts. He was very much against Nurse and Pietrangelo suspensions being equal.

On this topic though, I definitely thought he was out of touch on the game 2 rescheduling. Saying “I’d be happy to spend an extra day in Vegas if I was an Oilers fan” is pretty ignorant of a persons time and money. That rescheduling was complete bush league stuff and there is really no other way around it.

He’s a cheerleader because he has to be to maintain relationships and get the story first. I love listening to him regularly because he has information so much faster and much more accurate than anybody else, but there are lots of times he’s probably not telling whole truths in the name of relationships.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 May 2023 14:07]

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823284 is a reply to message #823116 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

What seems lost in all this..

How dumb is Nurse? A playoff game against an opponent that is causing serious concern, and he can’t look at a clock and put two and two together? Can’t wait until game 5? An NHL’er that doesn’t know the rules? If he doesn’t that’s a concern.

The man is just dense.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823285 is a reply to message #823284 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 10:59

How dumb is Nurse? A playoff game against an opponent that is causing serious concern, and he can’t look at a clock and put two and two together? Can’t wait until game 5? An NHL’er that doesn’t know the rules? If he doesn’t that’s a concern.

The man is just dense.

Yes. BUT - he didn't jump him. That's the least "instigator" an instigator has ever been IMO.

I think the NHL looks foolish penalizing that the same as the lumberjack.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823286 is a reply to message #823285 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 08:04

The man is just dense.

Yes. BUT - he didn't jump him. That's the least "instigator" an instigator has ever been IMO.

Pretty funny that both late instigators in the regular season were rescinded and not suspended. So much for playoff games having a higher bar for a suspension.

Also someone dug this up, look at what Parros said his priorities would be as head of DoPS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fv41DWxaMAA807J?format=jpg&name=small

Slashing and non-hockey infractions, lol. Pietro combined both to the max

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823287 is a reply to message #823285 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The man is just dense.

I agree that the NHL looks foolish yet again, but also looking pretty foolish that an 8 year veteran hasn’t figured that playing roulette DOPS in a critical game is ill advised. It’s not like Darnel was making a reaction after getting run. The play died and Darnell thought, “now is the time”.

It was a stupid decision. Many other opportunities would have been presented, but Nurse had to bolt in there like a heat seeking missile at that particular point. Lots of dumb to go around on that play for each side.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 May 2023 08:34]

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823289 is a reply to message #823287 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Pretty disappointing that getting into a fight with a willing player gets the same punishment as trying to break a guys arm. The mistake by the Oilers to get proper punishment is their players are too tough and they don't roll on the ice pretending to be hurt as often as other guys. But the outcome is what I expected.

I don't like to advocate for violence often but why not play 12-6, dress career AHLer Malone and go tell him to lumberjack chop as hard as the can one of Eichel or Stone. Then when you talk to the league, tell them you set the standard so what's the problem, it's worth 1 game.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823290 is a reply to message #823287 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 08:33

The man is just dense.

I agree that the NHL looks foolish yet again, but also looking pretty foolish that an 8 year veteran hasn’t figured that playing roulette DOPS in a critical game is ill advised. It’s not like Darnel was making a reaction after getting run. The play died and Darnell thought, “now is the time”.

It was a stupid decision. Many other opportunities would have been presented, but Nurse had to bolt in there like a heat seeking missile at that particular point. Lots of dumb to go around on that play for each side.

I heard his interview of CHED last night and thought it was pretty funny when he explaining why he didn't fight earlier in the game because <paraphrasing> "it wouldn't have been right to take himself out of the game with so much time remaining". Kind of overplayed his hand there.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823292 is a reply to message #823290 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 08:46

The man is just dense.

I heard his interview of CHED last night and thought it was pretty funny when he explaining why he didn't fight earlier in the game because <paraphrasing> "it wouldn't have been right to take himself out of the game with so much time remaining". Kind of overplayed his hand there.

That's him doing the same math that I am - it's too important to have him in the lineup so he can't fight stupid meatheads from the other team with no other value than trying to get the better players on the Oilers off their game. Unfortunately, his conclusion was a little different than mine. While I think he should just mock the guy for not being worth his notice, Nurse felt he just had to wait until there wasn't much time left on the clock.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823295 is a reply to message #823292 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 08:55

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 08:46

The man is just dense.

That's him doing the same math that I am - it's too important to have him in the lineup so he can't fight stupid meatheads from the other team with no other value than trying to get the better players on the Oilers off their game. Unfortunately, his conclusion was a little different than mine. While I think he should just mock the guy for not being worth his notice, Nurse felt he just had to wait until there wasn't much time left on the clock.

It's also almost certainly true that if Nurse makes the other decision and does nothing/mocks him then Peter Angelo gets a 5k fine and no suspension. So instead of them both being in the lineup, now they've cancelled each other out. From an Oilers perspective I'll take that trade. So maybe what he did was the smart play.. 3d chess.

I'm not suggesting that all that was actually going through his mind, but the point is there is no rationalization about this stuff. The idea that he should have known that it was a suspension because it's a black and white rule is something that keeps rearing its head - well, maybe - but as we've seen, during the regular season it wasn't actually the rule as the suspensions were rescinded. And we've been led to believe that playoff games have more value to DOPS.. I think you could argue based on the way that game/play developed that it's almost as reasonable for him to assume that he wouldn't get suspended than to assume he would.

There is no logic to this decision so I don't have a problem with what Nurse did. You almost have to just play and accept that occasionally lightning is going to strike and you have no control over it.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823291 is a reply to message #823287 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

The man is just dense.

I don't like the fighting decisions from Nurse and Kane in this series. We've got top of the order guys fighting bottom of the lineup plugs. There's just no win there. You beat them up and it does nothing. If they get hurt or suspended the team sees extremely marginal benefit.
You get hurt or suspended? Then it costs the team significantly, because we have to replace a top six forward or a 25-minute a night defenceman. I don't think there's ever a good enough reason for Nurse to go drop the gloves with another team's worst blueliner.

The decision from Parros is a complete joke, and just demonstrates again the backwards thinking of the NHL. It isn't DoPS deciding the series if they suspend properly, it's Pietrangelo who takes a two-handed swing like he's @#$%ing Braveheart that decided it. He put his team in that poor situation, and so if he got suspended for longer it would have all been on him.

I think there's even an argument to be made for giving only a single game - no prior offences, playoffs, yadda yadda yadda, but everyone in hockey knows that Parros decided to tie these two completely different offences together in an attempt to avoid doing anything impactful - even in the face of a brutal slash to the playoffs leading scorer.

For Parros, it's just par for the course though. He's Colin Campbell-level incompetent.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823296 is a reply to message #823291 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

What needs to happen is ex NHL hockey players, coaches or execs needs to get out of doing player safety. They bring the emotion of the game too much into their decisions.

I heard Eakins on the panel talk about how Leon didn't get hurt so the 1 game was fine. So to properly punish a player for doing something non hockey related and extremely dangerous, it would be better if one of the best players in the world get seriously hurt? That's what Eakins in my opinion was saying and I think is a sentiment among the guys who do player safety.

So was it really dangerous or not? That should be the question DOPS should ask when stuff like this. The fact that Leon got a little lucky and didn't get seriously hurt shouldn't play into addressing the offense. I thought the message Hrudy said was spot on. He said it should be 3 games, that play can't happen in hockey and it makes the sport look bad. There are fans in the US who think hockey is way too violent to watch. A play like reinforces their point. If I was not a hardcore fan and had the opinion that hockey might be too violent for me and I saw a player trying to break another players arm and get very little punishment for it, I would think hockey was pretty barbaric.

Too my surprise because Bieksa was a bit of a dirty player too, he thought the suspension was a joke. As Bieksa said, I would like to know what Pietrangelo's argument was. What's the justification for trying to break a guys arm? I get frustrated when things happen to me, that doesn't mean I can walk up to a person and try to break their arm because I am mad at him/her.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 May 2023 10:00]

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823318 is a reply to message #823116 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Ryan Whitney had a few thoughts on the Nurse/PA suspensions
https://twitter.com/spittinchiclets/status/16570104060391424 01

Quote:

Spittin' Chiclets@spittinchiclets

“I’m shocked, Appalled.. I'm disgusted.”

@ryanwhitney6
is not happy the Pietrangelo suspension is the same as the Nurse suspension.

📺: https://youtu.be/m04_yk-Y7Is

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823320 is a reply to message #823318 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Maybe Leon should press assault charges. How would that impact the rest of the series?

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823323 is a reply to message #823318 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 13:45

Quote:

@ryanwhitney6

1:40 minute video. Any idea where?

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823326 is a reply to message #823323 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 14:53

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 13:45

Quote:

@ryanwhitney6

1:40 minute video. Any idea where?

Yeah I didn't watch the whole youtube video just the twitter segment.. too lazy!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823321 is a reply to message #823116 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Louie on Stauffer today.. The guy got off the fence big time.. .. I was surprised.. and impressed.. took some risk with a prime gig at SportsNet .. and knowing how vindictive Bettman is

.. and he takes a good shot at Parros..

Audio play back at; https://globalnews.ca/edmonton/program/oilers-now-with-bob-s tauffer

[Updated on: Fri, 12 May 2023 15:22]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823322 is a reply to message #823321 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 15:20

Louie on Stauffer today.. The guy got off the fence big time.. .. I was surprised.. and impressed.. took some risk with a prime gig at SportsNet .. and knowing how vindictive Bettman is

Audio play back at; https://globalnews.ca/edmonton/program/oilers-now-with-bob-s tauffer

I heard that and I was impressed. Enough is enough. More people who have influence have to start talking about this crap. The fact that whether or not a player gets seriously hurt or not impacts how much the suspension is, is a complete joke. It shouldn't matter if the player gets hurt or not. If a guy tries to injure someone, that's a serious thing.

What I loved the most was him mentioning an Oiler player going after a Knight doing the same thing. End of the game, go ahead, take a swing. Get a 4th liner to drill Stone or Eichel right in the back of the knee. IT should only be worth 1 game and if it takes Stone or Eichel out hampers them, a 1 game suspension for a 4th liner is worth it. Then go right to the league and say "just following your standard". Dress a Shore, wait until the end of the game and tell him to hack away, here's your chance to help us go for a ring.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 May 2023 15:38]

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823334 is a reply to message #823321 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 17:49 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 15:20

I think only Flames fans don't think this was all idiotic. How can the NHL and DoPS be this bad? It was so bad that everyone just assumed they would do the cowardly parity play from the start, while knowing it would be wrong. I think you should know you're doing a very bad job when everyone knows ahead of time you're going to do something stupid.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823325 is a reply to message #823116 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

This is one of the two Instigator penalties called in the NHL this season.. both rescinded by Parros..
In this one, Domi goes straight after Jost.. Jost isn't interested in a fight, and doesn't throw one (1) punch in the entire altercation..

After review.. Parros rescinds the instigator call.

That's in regular season.. now compare that to Nurse vs. Hague circumstances.. and Nurse getting a suspension in the PLAYOFFS.

https://i.imgflip.com/7llad8.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823327 is a reply to message #823325 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 16:11

This is one of the two Instigator penalties called in the NHL this season.. both rescinded by Parros..
In this one, Domi goes straight after Jost.. Jost isn't interested in a fight, and doesn't throw one (1) punch in the entire altercation..

That's in regular season.. now compare that to Nurse vs. Hague circumstances.. and Nurse getting a suspension in the PLAYOFFS.

That is what the instigator rule is for. Trying to protect against one guy not wanting to fight at all and the other guy not caring and fighting him anyway. It is what it is but the Nurse fight should have had an instigator based on the criteria.

I have such a hard time not believing that they kept Nurse's suspension because they knew at minimum they had to give Pietrangelo 1 game so they wanted the game to be "even". If Pietrangelo didn't slash Leon, I would put money down they would have overruled Nurse's suspension.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823329 is a reply to message #823327 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 15:19

That is what the instigator rule is for. Trying to protect against one guy not wanting to fight at all and the other guy not caring and fighting him anyway. It is what it is but the Nurse fight should have had an instigator based on the criteria.

I have such a hard time not believing that they kept Nurse's suspension because they knew at minimum they had to give Pietrangelo 1 game so they wanted the game to be "even". If Pietrangelo didn't slash Leon, I would put money down they would have overruled Nurse's suspension.

I'm starting to wonder if the refs felt they had to give the instigator to Nurse because they knew they had already been forced to hand out an effective suspension to PA and and wanted to even things out for next game before their game was over.. just to keep their game management slate "cleaner". That call is pretty rare even in the regular season when a guy actually does initiate a scrap in the last 5 and the opponent is willing..

[Updated on: Fri, 12 May 2023 16:34]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823330 is a reply to message #823325 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

After learning this I feel bad for treating Nurse like a bonehead.

It’s still roulette, but lower odds than I realized.

Now I hate Parros even more. What a pussy.

Re: Review: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4) [message #823332 is a reply to message #823330 ]
Fri, 12 May 2023 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Fri, 12 May 2023 15:40

After learning this I feel bad for treating Nurse like a bonehead.

It’s still roulette, but lower odds than I realized.

Now I hate Parros even more. What a pussy.

Refs screwed up by calling the instigator on Nurse in that incident (can't be the instigator when the other guy is happily engaging, and also the one throwing the first 8 punches!) .. but instead of correcting the refs mistake, Parros compounded it by not rescinding it.

Seravalli said today on Stauffer that the DOPS isn't working, needs to be overhauled.. pretty adamant about it.. I was impressed.

He's not a fan of Walkom and the Department of Officiating either..

https://globalnews.ca/edmonton/program/oilers-now-with-bob-s tauffer

[Updated on: Fri, 12 May 2023 17:24]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #5)
Next Topic:GDT: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #4)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca