This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822653]
Wed, 03 May 2023 22:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Vegas to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822681 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Hey, one guy showed up

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822683 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Some lessons the team hopefully learned tonight:

- Come out to play the entire game and not just for portions of it, especially when facing a team like the Knights on the road.

- Tighten up D coverage, specifically in making sure to avoid giving Vegas players too much room to pass and shoot.

- Stop playing Vinnie in any situation, particularly after tying up the game.

- Step up hitting them to disrupt their game.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822684 is a reply to message #822683 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Not worried. Get them in game two

Played poor and still almost won

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822686 is a reply to message #822684 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

tardigrade81 wrote on Wed, 03 May 2023 22:28

Not worried. Get them in game two

Played poor and still almost won

I like that attitude. I'm with you. Brossoit played a lot better than I thought he would. Gotta get more shots on him earlier on. icon_neutral

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822687 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

This team is going to need a lot more than a fabulous powerplay to go anywhere.

Not seeing enough buy in. Not seeing enough sacrifice of the body. Not seeing enough will to win battles.

Im seeing a lot of standing around and stick clenching. I’m seeing good things happen when Kostin is out there, but the coach seems allergic to riding him a bit.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822688 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Holy crap, making us listen to Dallas Eakins after a loss. SN are evil

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822689 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Not saying that game was on VD73, but holy man the Must is just too much for him.

Skinner let in 5… but he had some stellar saves. Team in front just too tepid all night.

Would be great if 93, 18, 91 would show up.

Vegas gets in passing and shooting lanes. Need to adjust.

We suuuuuck opening series. Game 1 loss is just expected now. Not doom and gloom, but they don’t tighten up the d coverage, sit Desharnais, and adjust their o zone … she gonna be a short series.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822690 is a reply to message #822689 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 01:34

Not saying that game was on VD73, but holy man the Must is just too much for him.

Skinner let in 5… but he had some stellar saves. Team in front just too tepid all night.

Would be great if 93, 18, 91 would show up.

Vegas gets in passing and shooting lanes. Need to adjust.

We suuuuuck opening series. Game 1 loss is just expected now. Not doom and gloom, but they don’t tighten up the d coverage, sit Desharnais, and adjust their o zone … she gonna be a short series.

Yep, I mentioned it in the GDT, but for some reason we've gone back to game 1-60 rather than game 61-82 Oilers.
If we play like we did in the last 20 or so games of the season, then (imo) we win the cup.

The only teams in the league that could hang with us when we played like that were the Bruins & Avs. Both of them are gone now, so why in the heck are we going back to playing loosey goosey defense is optional hockey? I thought after 2 years we were past that?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822691 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I’m not pooping on Skinner, but I’m still not too confident in his play.

I’m thinking we see Campbell at some point this series.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822692 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Flat out the worst performance in 7 playoff games. Vegas looks like garbage a lot of the time against Wpg, but makes the Oilers look stupid.

Players can think for themselves and should be prepared to play, but Holy crap it's like they never considered that they might get pressured in the d-zone. This game was a coaching fail too.

Rough night for most of the D, rough night for Skinner. Wasted effort by LD. The Oilers would be fecked if he dried up.

Nuge needs to step up along with his linies 5x5 and he needs to shoot more, most of them do, get guys going to the net and fricken shoot. He's not shooting on the PP much either in the playoffs, not sure wth is up, but better figure it out.

I think you might sit Vinnie...but do you sit him for Shore if Janmark isn't available?

How long will it take the Oilers to adjust? Gotta have the split.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822693 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Wed, 03 May 2023 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Hyman, Kane, RNH not pulling their weight.

McCleod is determined to be a passenger.. should've stayed in Disneyland.

73 good for a goal or more against every game due to poor decisions, even if he's a rookie he needs to stop making risk plays.

25 still making bad decisions that lead to pucks in his net, he's not a rookie.

Skinner good.. and then moments of mediocre

Bad break with Janmark.. he's one of the most important guys on the PK.

The guys that didn't show up have 2 days to decide if they really want to pursue winning the Cup.. that effort was pure awful.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822694 is a reply to message #822693 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Vinnie really needs to sit. He's a liability every time out there.

A few guys like Hyman and Kane need to step up, but none more than Nuge. He's invisible out there.

McDavid needs to remember he is the reigning Rocket Richard winner. Broissoit is not that good - we need to get more pucks on him and get some greasy goals.

Not seeing the hate towards Skinner. I didn't think any of those goals were bad. And if we would have come back to win it, it would have been in large part due to his 3rd period heroics.

Anyway - we've lost a lot of Game 1 and come back to win the series. The good news if you want to call it that? Easily our worst and most sloppy game in probably 3 months, and we were still just a shot away from sending it to OT.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822696 is a reply to message #822694 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I thought the Oilers looked like a team that for 2 weeks didn't play conventional hockey. The Kings and their unique passive, no forecheck style is strange so when the Knights came at the Oilers with an actual forecheck, the Oilers looked shocked and it took them awhile to adjust.

The Good
Leon. WOW. He's unreal and almost by himself tied the game.
McD looked to be buzzing and hopefully put Rishaugh's lame "he's hurt" to bed. A few points, should have had a goal.

The average
Ekholm and Bouchard were OK. Missed a few chances to score. Defensively were OK.
Skinner. I didn't like his first but his second and 3rd were good.
Hyman. I thought he was moving his feet better and going to the net more. 2 primary assists.
Foegele was alright. He needs to pop one and I think it's coming.
Bjudstad. Good on draws. A few shots. 5 hits. For a 3rd line center, he was OK.
Nurse. I thought he was flying around a lot. Had 7 shots, could have scored so I like that. Probably doing too much defensively. Needs to calm down.

The bad
Kane, he wasn't much of a factor.
McLeod. Did he even play? I can't remember one thing he did.
Yamo. See above. I can't remember one thing he did. Zero shots.
Ceci, Kulak. Broberg I thought they weren't very good.
Kostin. He was too quiet for me to say he was average.

Real bad.
Desharnais. I like the guy, I am pulling for him. I like some of the things he does but he looked overwhelmed. He definitely looked like a guy who wasn't used to having forecheckers. Way too cute with the puck.
Nuge. I have had enough. None factor once again and has been for now 7 games in a row. No shots, no blocks, no takeaways in over 20 mins. What the hell are you doing out there when you got zeros all over the stat line. He's the leader of the Oilers secondary scoring. He's the longest serving Oiler. He's 30 so he should have the experience where guys like him elevate in the playoffs. He's the guy that year after year he would sit there and complain about missing the playoffs, not getting it done again, how he wants to win. LOOK IN THE FREAKING MIRROR RYAN!! Not good enough, not even close.
Am I ranting on him a bit? Yes but year after year he's supposed to be one of the key guys and year after year he's let the team down. He needs to pick his game up BIG TIME. The Oilers have a legit shot at the cup and the key to them winning is guys like Nuge stepping their game up in the playoffs because they are hungry for the cup. He hasn't even had an average game yet.

Frustrating game to watch. The only positive is I thought the Knights played very, very well, the Oilers weren't good except maybe the last 10 mins of the game. Yet the Oilers almost tied that game up.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822697 is a reply to message #822696 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 08:32

I thought the Oilers looked like a team that for 2 weeks didn't play conventional hockey. The Kings and their unique passive, no forecheck style is strange so when the Knights came at the Oilers with an actual forecheck, the Oilers looked shocked and it took them awhile to adjust.

The Good
McD looked to be buzzing and hopefully put Rishaugh's lame "he's hurt" to bed. A few points, should have had a goal.

The average
Ekholm and Bouchard were OK. Missed a few chances to score. Defensively were OK.
Hyman. I thought he was moving his feet better and going to the net more. 2 primary assists.
Nurse. I thought he was flying around a lot. Had 7 shots, could have scored so I like that. Probably doing too much defensively. Needs to calm down.

The bad

Real bad.
Desharnais. I like the guy, I am pulling for him. I like some of the things he does but he looked overwhelmed. He definitely looked like a guy who wasn't used to having forecheckers. Way too cute with the puck.
Nuge. I have had enough. None factor once again and has been for now 7 games in a row. No shots, no blocks, no takeaways in over 20 mins. What the hell are you doing out there when you got zeros all over the stat line. He's the leader of the Oilers secondary scoring. He's the longest serving Oiler. He's 30 so he should have the experience where guys like him elevate in the playoffs. He's the guy that year after year he would sit there and complain about missing the playoffs, not getting it done again, how he wants to win. LOOK IN THE FREAKING MIRROR RYAN!! Not good enough, not even close.
Am I ranting on him a bit? Yes but year after year he's supposed to be one of the key guys and year after year he's let the team down. He needs to pick his game up BIG TIME. The Oilers have a legit shot at the cup and the key to them winning is guys like Nuge stepping their game up in the playoffs because they are hungry for the cup. He hasn't even had an average game yet.

Frustrating game to watch. The only positive is I thought the Knights played very, very well, the Oilers weren't good except maybe the last 10 mins of the game. Yet the Oilers almost tied that game up.

Can Nuge watch some Seattle games? Eberle is buzzing every shift at 5v5. Nuge seems to be waiting for the PP all night. I'm a bit stunned at how bad he's been at doing pretty much anything at ES. He's got 1 assist 5v5, on that Bjugstad back hand floater from the boards that went in. Nuge is also likely one of our only top 6 "wingers" that isn't playing with some kind of injury.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822698 is a reply to message #822697 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Totally agreed about Nuge. He's been pretty well invisible this playoffs, which is a good thing if you're talking about D, but a pretty big indictment for a 100 point player if you're doing nothing on the offensive side of the puck.

Just watched the highlights again...

I love Desharnais. I really think he was such a feel good story heading into the end of the year... but... that first goal was horrendous. I have no idea what he was thinking there, but whatever it was amounted to a terrible hockey IQ. That was almost as bad as McLeod's giveaway to Marner earlier this year. It's the playoffs dude... play smarter than that. Even the second goal looked like he was handling it like a grenade. Be assertive and do something with the puck, or take a body. Don't just stand there and look like a very large pylon. You need to make some sort of contribution.

Just too much intensity and responsibility for a guy that is still feeling his way into the NHL, unfortunately.

He was far from the only culprit though. Nurse completely bailing on his mark on one of the goals (and chasing himself completely out of position, which is his notable issue) was pretty bad, and Bouchard getting caught totally puck watching and leaving his mark on the fifth goal (iirc) that Stephenson picked up was also pretty egregious. If the Oilers are going to play this loose, they better have some outstanding goaltending that is going to steal them a game or two, and I don't think Skinner is playing that kind of game right now. He's just hanging in there, more than anything else.

Boys need to shape up big time for Game 2.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822699 is a reply to message #822698 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 09:26

Totally agreed about Nuge. He's been pretty well invisible this playoffs, which is a good thing if you're talking about D, but a pretty big indictment for a 100 point player if you're doing nothing on the offensive side of the puck.

Just watched the highlights again...

I love Desharnais. I really think he was such a feel good story heading into the end of the year... but... that first goal was horrendous. I have no idea what he was thinking there, but whatever it was amounted to a terrible hockey IQ. That was almost as bad as McLeod's giveaway to Marner earlier this year. It's the playoffs dude... play smarter than that. Even the second goal looked like he was handling it like a grenade. Be assertive and do something with the puck, or take a body. Don't just stand there and look like a very large pylon. You need to make some sort of contribution.

Just too much intensity and responsibility for a guy that is still feeling his way into the NHL, unfortunately.

He was far from the only culprit though. Nurse completely bailing on his mark on one of the goals (and chasing himself completely out of position, which is his notable issue) was pretty bad, and Bouchard getting caught totally puck watching and leaving his mark on the fifth goal (iirc) that Stephenson picked up was also pretty egregious. If the Oilers are going to play this loose, they better have some outstanding goaltending that is going to steal them a game or two, and I don't think Skinner is playing that kind of game right now. He's just hanging in there, more than anything else.

Boys need to shape up big time for Game 2.

Hate to say it, but Campbell probably wins that game lol. But we shouldn't be playing in a way that depends on our top chaos agent that needs to spot the other team 3-4 goals before he starts getting the hockey gods blessing to make "key saves" to win.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822700 is a reply to message #822699 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

If this team wants to win, Vinny cannot by any means be rostered on the ice. Stu needs a break, Id start Soup Saturday!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822701 is a reply to message #822700 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 10:14

If this team wants to win, Vinny cannot by any means be rostered on the ice. Stu needs a break, Id start Soup Saturday!

When it comes to goalies in the playoffs, I'm not switching easily.

While not thrilled with the numbers from Stu, I wouldn't change to Campbell yet. He wasn't awful last night, although certainly, we need some more saves out of him. He's well below .900 in the post-season and that's unsustainable if we're hoping to go deep.

Desharnais - I am fine with leaving him on the roster if you're using him sparingly as the 7th guy and strategic about when he's going on the ice. The thing about a defenceman like him who brings nothing from an offensive point of view is that you need his play to be nearly error free. We just have seen the exact opposite from him. It's not just the ones that end in the back of the net, he's getting walked constantly and struggling with the pace.

The team clearly likes having him for the PK, which may make some sense. He's moving a lot less there, and he's huge. He takes up space in front, blocks pucks, has the strength to move people out and all you're asking for him if he gets the puck is to send it the length of the ice. Maybe then you need him to play a few minutes to stay warm too, but try not to let the other team get their best players out against him too often at even strength, because he's over-matched.

Is Demers on the taxi squad? Niemelainen?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822702 is a reply to message #822697 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 08:58

The Good

The average

The bad

Real bad.

Can Nuge watch some Seattle games? Eberle is buzzing every shift at 5v5. Nuge seems to be waiting for the PP all night. I'm a bit stunned at how bad he's been at doing pretty much anything at ES. He's got 1 assist 5v5, on that Bjugstad back hand floater from the boards that went in. Nuge is also likely one of our only top 6 "wingers" that isn't playing with some kind of injury.

I keep seeing people on twitter when Nuge is mentioned how he must be hurt. When, where? He's never missed a practice of a morning skate. He's never got his ice time scaled back or his role reduced. It can't be because he's been physical. He's got 7 hits in 7 games so he doesn't touch anyone. I haven't seen him go down, the trainer talk to him, he miss a shift, have to get checked. Nothing. I think it's 100% exactly how he's been is whole career. When the pressure ramps up, he doesn't have the intensity in his game to ramp up his play. Nuge has never been an intense player. I thought this past season maybe the light clicked on finally but it hasn't. He looks exactly like he did in 2016 when he was a non factor.

I am so disappointed by him as I really thought this was the year he would be a force in the playoffs and so far, it's not even close.

For next game, I would have the following in the top 6 in some order.
McD, Leon, Hyman, Kane, Foegele Bjugstad. I know Foegele doesn't have the greatest finish but he's been good every game. He didn't record a shot last game but he had chances that just went wide.
They need guys who are going.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822703 is a reply to message #822702 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 11:12

The Good

The average

The bad

Real bad.

I keep seeing people on twitter when Nuge is mentioned how he must be hurt. When, where? He's never missed a practice of a morning skate. He's never got his ice time scaled back or his role reduced. It can't be because he's been physical. He's got 7 hits in 7 games so he doesn't touch anyone. I haven't seen him go down, the trainer talk to him, he miss a shift, have to get checked. Nothing. I think it's 100% exactly how he's been is whole career. When the pressure ramps up, he doesn't have the intensity in his game to ramp up his play. Nuge has never been an intense player. I thought this past season maybe the light clicked on finally but it hasn't. He looks exactly like he did in 2016 when he was a non factor.

I am so disappointed by him as I really thought this was the year he would be a force in the playoffs and so far, it's not even close.

McD, Leon, Hyman, Kane, Foegele Bjugstad. I know Foegele doesn't have the greatest finish but he's been good every game. He didn't record a shot last game but he had chances that just went wide.

I disagree with all of this.

I think in the Oilers system, their centers are generally the defensive conscience of the line and so they're not forechecking as hard. McDavid/Draisaitl are a bit of an outlier here - they're all attack all the time - but Nuge, McLeod, etc. aren't asked to be the first in on the forecheck to rattle the boards. You can't look at their hits as a measure of whether they're engaged.

I do think that sometimes Nuge needs to be a little less afraid to take some more offensive risks. His line hasn't provided much offensively at all, and we need more from them. I don't think that means that he's been a shrinking violet and that he just can't handle the pressure. I'm struggling to think of a play all post-season where 93 has made a glaring error leading to a goal or great chance against. He just hasn't done enough to put points on the board other than some stellar powerplay work.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822706 is a reply to message #822703 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Our zone exits last night were brutal! And obviously I mean 5v5. We were forcing pucks with either rims or in passes that aren't there. I noticed quite a few times where we would retrieve pucks and have possession and our puck carrier would just force passes up rather than slowing it down and using his partner. Vegas like to clog things up and anticipate pucks.

Let's try and ensure we get good zone exits moving forward and we'll be fine.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822710 is a reply to message #822706 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 12:30

Our zone exits last night were brutal! And obviously I mean 5v5. We were forcing pucks with either rims or in passes that aren't there. I noticed quite a few times where we would retrieve pucks and have possession and our puck carrier would just force passes up rather than slowing it down and using his partner. Vegas like to clog things up and anticipate pucks.

I am curious to see what adjustments we make. It wasn't just zone exits, but also zone entrances - Vegas was very aggressive at the bluelines last night and they did a good job at disrupting - even on the powerplay (despite the two PPG). If McLellan was still the coach, we'd be just hammering away at the same thing for the remainder of the series, but I'm hopeful that Woody makes a tweak to challenge their system.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822711 is a reply to message #822706 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

My feeling is for 2 weeks, the Oilers played a team that didn't attack at all. There were many times where the puck was dumped into the Oilers end, the Oilers dman could go get the puck, slowly skate out from behind the net, survey the ice, sometimes come to a complete stop and wait for a line change and then slowly make their way out of the zone while the Kings stood at the centerline waiting. To go from having all that time they wanted to having to make quick decisions and passes due to pressure, would be an adjustment. They seemed to handle it better as the game went on and by the 3rd it wasn't a big deal so hopefully they will be better prepared for game 2.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822718 is a reply to message #822711 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 14:03

My feeling is for 2 weeks, the Oilers played a team that didn't attack at all. There were many times where the puck was dumped into the Oilers end, the Oilers dman could go get the puck, slowly skate out from behind the net, survey the ice, sometimes come to a complete stop and wait for a line change and then slowly make their way out of the zone while the Kings stood at the centerline waiting. To go from having all that time they wanted to having to make quick decisions and passes due to pressure, would be an adjustment. They seemed to handle it better as the game went on and by the 3rd it wasn't a big deal so hopefully they will be better prepared for game 2.

Great points...I think game 2 should see improvements on our end...kind of happy there are two days off to make further adjustments....away from the beach lol.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822719 is a reply to message #822703 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 11:55

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 11:12

The Good

The average

The bad

Real bad.

I disagree with all of this.

I think in the Oilers system, their centers are generally the defensive conscience of the line and so they're not forechecking as hard. McDavid/Draisaitl are a bit of an outlier here - they're all attack all the time - but Nuge, McLeod, etc. aren't asked to be the first in on the forecheck to rattle the boards. You can't look at their hits as a measure of whether they're engaged.

I do think that sometimes Nuge needs to be a little less afraid to take some more offensive risks. His line hasn't provided much offensively at all, and we need more from them. I don't think that means that he's been a shrinking violet and that he just can't handle the pressure. I'm struggling to think of a play all post-season where 93 has made a glaring error leading to a goal or great chance against. He just hasn't done enough to put points on the board other than some stellar powerplay work.

Nuge did get some wing time, but things were just not working. Winger Nuge needs his 2 linemates 5v5 to be rolling, letting him find open space in the offensive zone. Just isn't happening, Hyman and Kane are just off their games for likely injury reasons both.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822707 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

They'll be fine. Woody needs to drop his Bako bias and play VD half as much. He's not even treading water out there - just plain drowning.

I'd keep Skinner running, but won't be surprised if we see Campbell next time VGK score more than 3.

I think last night they were just not ready for such a different style of play compared to LAK. I expect them to be adjusted and ready for revenge on Saturday.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822709 is a reply to message #822707 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 13:47

They'll be fine. Woody needs to drop his Bako bias and play VD half as much. He's not even treading water out there - just plain drowning.

I'd keep Skinner running, but won't be surprised if we see Campbell next time VGK score more than 3.

I think last night they were just not ready for such a different style of play compared to LAK. I expect them to be adjusted and ready for revenge on Saturday.

Likewise...not sweating it too much.

It is however quite alarming when Woody had a darker tan than any of his players....was he less prepared than his players were lol?

Not a fan of game 2 taking the Leafs HNIC spot at 5 MST/6 CST but let's all be prepared anyways

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822712 is a reply to message #822707 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I would still stay with the 11-7 for game 2. We saw a little bit of it as Broberg had 9:40 of ice time, all but 7 seconds 5 on 5, where as Desharnai got just over 8 mins with 2 of it being on the PK. I would stick with that. Give Broberg a bit more 5 on 5 time where skating is important and let Desharnais and his giant frame and huge wing span stay on the PK. Spot Desharnais with 5 on 5 mins to give others a breather.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822716 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

One guy shows up and the superstar looked like her was figuring things out.

The rest? Vapid response and if they are goin g to win anything they need to be in the game the full 60 playing as if they owe money to the mafia.

Where the heck is Nuge and bis 100 point game? Oh he's there floating around the parameter.
Hyman, a lot of try hard without finish.
Kane, too busy trying to get penalties called than playing the game.
Nugent-Hopkins, where for art thou Nuge?
Yamamoto - K, good goal last game but where are you now? Nowhere. Worst player on the team.
Desharnais - Dude, if you keep getting pumped and passing muffins in the D zone, you're done.
Ekholm - You know what, I like you, but you need to be part of the hit club.
Nurse - Back to doing stupid stuff a d-man of your "ilk" shouldn't be doing. You play like a second season sophomore.
Kulak - Where's your game bud? Stuck in Santa Monica?
Janmark - sit down, you need to heal.
Kostin - You are funny, you play like a 1st round 1/8th of the time. Then you play like a 7th rounder.
McLeod - A lot of try not a lot of finish.
Bjugstad - McLeod and you should stop talking to each other
Bouchard - You got a shot, use it more often and quit telegraphing it - shoot already

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822717 is a reply to message #822716 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 16:33

The rest? Vapid response and if they are goin g to win anything they need to be in the game the full 60 playing as if they owe money to the mafia.

Where the heck is Nuge and bis 100 point game? Oh he's there floating around the parameter.
Yamamoto - K, good goal last game but where are you now? Nowhere. Worst player on the team.
Desharnais - Dude, if you keep getting pumped and passing muffins in the D zone, you're done.
Nurse - Back to doing stupid stuff a d-man of your "ilk" shouldn't be doing. You play like a second season sophomore.
Kostin - You are funny, you play like a 1st round 1/8th of the time. Then you play like a 7th rounder.
Bouchard - You got a shot, use it more often and quit telegraphing it - shoot already

One thought with McDavid. We saw something similar at the start of the LA series where he attacked defencemen one-on-one again and again.

I wonder if it isn't a tactical move that at the start of the series he's going to make an effort to make them look stupid a bunch of times. If it works, great. We get a goal. But even if it doesn't work, it gets them worried about it. It's intimidating, and you know on multiple times last night that he was a half-step away from being the highlight of the night. I wonder if the instruction to him is to scare the crap out of the other guys for the whole first game so that it gets him a little more room for the rest of the series? Can't be as aggressive on him if you know he'll just slide past and make you look like a moron.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822727 is a reply to message #822716 ]
Fri, 05 May 2023 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 04 May 2023 16:33

100% agree on Nuge. I keep reading people on twitter saying he's hurt which I think is an excuse. I haven't seen anything. Rishaugh who is very quick to tattle on anyone if they have a hang nail and he was asked about Nuge this morning on the morning and he says he's seen nothing.

He supposedly talked to Nuge and his response is he definitely needs to shoot more and get in there. Well no kidding Nuge. What an amazing revelation there. Glad you realized that after 7 games you have to get into the freaking series and shoot once in awhile. You got 3 PP assists because you are the first touch on the PP, then sit back and watch McD and Leon fly around the zone firing the puck in and got an assist on a fluke goal by Bjugstad from the corner.

37 goals, 104 pts and he's got zero goals, 4 pretty fortunate assists and a grand total of 12 freaking shots in 7 games. That's pathetic to me. If he wants to win a cup, guys like him are the key to any team winning.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822728 is a reply to message #822716 ]
Fri, 05 May 2023 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Wl miss game two 😞

Starts at 5 and we are at my wife’s parents house for our sons birthday.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822721 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Thu, 04 May 2023 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Any update on Janmark for game 2?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822732 is a reply to message #822721 ]
Fri, 05 May 2023 22:51 Go to previous message

1 Cup

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Fri, 05 May 2023 04:44

Any update on Janmark for game 2?

He didn’t practice again. Probably a no go

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #1) [message #822731 is a reply to message #822653 ]
Fri, 05 May 2023 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

From everyones favorite @JFreshHockey

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvZUNhnWAAAlsR6?format=jpg&name=small

I'm a little bummed how this lines up with the eye test. No one has been driving play less than the Nuge 5v5. He did get some individual chances, probably most in the games he played on the top line. But no one has contributed to creating a chance less. I don't think that Vegas game would have increased that number for him at all.

Wakey Nuge! We need you buddy. Only top 6 "winger" not banged up. I don't think he's gonna get to play wing again though unless he shows a little life and Woodcroft feels like he can actually put useful players on the sides of McDavid and Drai. It's touch regardless. Nuge looks good 5v5 when he's playing with a C and another winger that drive most of the play for him. And we can't just play him with McDavid and Drai. Hyman struggling and Kane banged up really messes this lineup up.

Also, maybe time to let Klim play a little more, if times are getting desperate at least.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 May 2023 21:29]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #2)
Next Topic:Skinner finalist for Calder
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca