This day on April 24
None

Happy Birthday To: foxbird, sspOILERS, hazmat, Tarnom, RankinSpankin

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821447 is a reply to message #821445 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 08:38

Imagine WHEN McDavid gets going how lethal we will be

Fixed it for you.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821453 is a reply to message #821447 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 15:47

Imagine WHEN McDavid gets going how lethal we will be

Fixed it for you.

Much better

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821468 is a reply to message #821445 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Imagine if McDavid gets going how lethal we will be

Drai getting lots of deserved love. Just one defense for McDAvid and his line. The Danault line is LA's 100% defense line and McLellan is not buying that Drai is better than McDavid still. Danault is an extremely good defensive guy, one of those old school glued to your hip centers. Moore and Arvidsson are very good 2-way forwards too. McDavid is still getting the harder defensive matchup while Kopitar, with Kempe and Byfield, is out there trying to score with a power vs power matchup with Drai that provides more room. I guess I can't say if Woodcroft is trying to get this match intentionally or not, guess we will see in LA. I'm not sure it matters that much either way for us, we are still getting chances on both lines, but I think McDavid's wingers are having more trouble than Drai's with the matchup that has been happening.

That's just gonna be what McDavid has to deal with. Like when Kesler was riding on his back and Drai more free was going back and forth with Getzlaf back in 2017.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 April 2023 15:26]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821469 is a reply to message #821468 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 15:15

Drai getting lots of deserved love. Just one defense for McDAvid and his line. The Danault line is LA's 100% defense line and McLellan is not buying that Drai is better than McDavid still. Danault is an extremely good defensive guy, one of those old school glued to your hip centers. Moore and Arvidsson are very good 2-way forwards too. McDavid is still getting the harder defensive matchup while Kopitar, with Kempe and Byfield, is out there trying to score with a power vs power matchup with Drai that provides more room. I guess I can't say if Woodcroft is trying to get this match intentionally or not, guess we will see in LA. I'm not sure it matters that much either way for us, we are still getting chances on both lines, but I think McDavid's wingers are having more trouble than Drai's with the matchup that has been happening.

That's just gonna be what McDavid has to deal with. Like when Kesler was riding on his back and Drai more free was going back and forth with Getzlaf back in 2017.

Not just the forward line - McDavid's getting the top d-unit too generally.

And I think that plays to our advantage. Sure - try to throw the blanket over McDavid and spend all your best players just trying to grind to a draw there...and then Draisaitl's line will mop up your scrubs/second liners.

Want to try to stop Leon? Okay, well then it's McDavid who runs rampant. There's literally no team in the league who has the one-two punch that we have, and it's extremely difficult to stop both.

Honestly, even with all the above said, Danault hasn't actually contained McDavid. Doughty hasn't contained McDavid. Korpisalo has just made more good saves on him. In two games, McDavid has 11 shots. Draisaitl has 9 shots. Hyman has 8 shots. Nugent-Hopkins has 6 shots. Evander Kane has 5 shots.

McDavid is -2, but that's not indicative of his play. The goals he was on for were:

- first goal in game 1. 4-on-4 and McDavid has a rush. Tries to dish to Draisaitl and gets picked off on the pass. They counter and score on a meh chance.
- second goal in game 1. Scrambled faceoff that bounces straight to Kempe.
- second goal in game 2. Desharnais gets picked off, and the Kings score on the ensuing rush.

You could potentially give a little blame to McDavid on the first of those, but not on either of the others. He's created WAAAAY more than he's given up and he's been a little unlucky in that at least two of those goals were pretty stoppable chances.

I think he was on for the 6-on-4 goal against in game one too...but again, that's a 6-on-4...

If you're worrying about McDavid's performance right now, you're fretting about the wrong things. I'm more worried about a couple of rookies showing some early playoff butterflies, and I hope they can just play through those. Otherwise, I think the team looks good - much better than LA - and should win this series handily.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821470 is a reply to message #821469 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 16:56 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 16:38

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 15:15

Not just the forward line - McDavid's getting the top d-unit too generally.

And I think that plays to our advantage. Sure - try to throw the blanket over McDavid and spend all your best players just trying to grind to a draw there...and then Draisaitl's line will mop up your scrubs/second liners.

Want to try to stop Leon? Okay, well then it's McDavid who runs rampant. There's literally no team in the league who has the one-two punch that we have, and it's extremely difficult to stop both.

Honestly, even with all the above said, Danault hasn't actually contained McDavid. Doughty hasn't contained McDavid. Korpisalo has just made more good saves on him. In two games, McDavid has 11 shots. Draisaitl has 9 shots. Hyman has 8 shots. Nugent-Hopkins has 6 shots. Evander Kane has 5 shots.

McDavid is -2, but that's not indicative of his play. The goals he was on for were:

- first goal in game 1. 4-on-4 and McDavid has a rush. Tries to dish to Draisaitl and gets picked off on the pass. They counter and score on a meh chance.
- second goal in game 1. Scrambled faceoff that bounces straight to Kempe.
- second goal in game 2. Desharnais gets picked off, and the Kings score on the ensuing rush.

You could potentially give a little blame to McDavid on the first of those, but not on either of the others. He's created WAAAAY more than he's given up and he's been a little unlucky in that at least two of those goals were pretty stoppable chances.

I think he was on for the 6-on-4 goal against in game one too...but again, that's a 6-on-4...

If you're worrying about McDavid's performance right now, you're fretting about the wrong things. I'm more worried about a couple of rookies showing some early playoff butterflies, and I hope they can just play through those. Otherwise, I think the team looks good - much better than LA - and should win this series handily.

Yeah, as good as Danault can be shadowing and all LA's effort to have their players run back to a defensive posture and try to trap, McDavid is still McDavid. His line breaking out should be inevitable. And if the kings keep getting lucky with McDavid out there, ah well, we have 1 other elite line and 2 pretty good ones also rolling and getting chances too.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821446 is a reply to message #821444 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 08:30

I know sometimes his puck play in his own end isn't great but I would like to see Kostin get more mins. He makes things happen when he is out there. A goal, 2 shots, 5 hits in 7:42 is pretty productive.

I think the Oilers need to become more "cagey" as Debrusk put it when the "cagey" vet Doughty drew a penalty out of nothing. The refs don't want to give the Oilers PP's very easily because they know the Oilers will score on them so it's pretty clear they have to dive and embellish. PP's were 4-1 Kings last night, 10-4 in the series. I am sorry but the Kings aren't playing perfect, 100% clean hockey. As an example Desharnais got a closed fist, glove on punch in the face and no call.

Plus Klim's zinger of the post!

We can complain about the ref's or just buckle down, stop taking stupid penalties (Doughty's dive was magical and I appreciate the earned reputation effort) and continue to dominate LA at 5v5. I have zero concerns about this series. McDavid will bust out for a couple games, and Skinner has been average with room to be much better.

My confidence is very high. LFG!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821448 is a reply to message #821446 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I'm hoping someone in here can help me by explaining to me what makes people think the Oilers "sat back" again because I am seeing that sentiment on twitter.

The Oilers outshot the Kings in every period. They held them to 3 in the first, them getting their first one with under 2 mins left. The second, I think they had like 10 or 11 shots total over half way through the game.

I feel like Korpisalo has been excellent both games. I thought he made multiple fantastic saves on the Oilers and the Oilers were unlucky not to get at least a goal in the second.

I thought both Kings goals weren't great especially the second goal.

The Oilers aren't getting PP's while the Kings are. PP's are 10-4 Kings so that will help the Kings when it's that far in favor of one team.

The Oilers are outshooting, out hitting and even have been better on faceoffs both games.

So I am curious what makes people think the Oilers are "sitting back" when they get a lead? The Kings are a defensive team that make it hard to get into their own zone. Their goalie is playing great and has probably outplayed Skinner. The Kings are getting way more PP's. The Oilers have been the best team for probably combined at least 5 out of 6 of the periods. You could maybe say the Kings were better in game 1 for make 8 mins of the 3rd and maybe 10 mins tops in the second game in the second period. I am asking to get some clarification because when I watch the games, I see the Oilers are superior for most of the game and if Korp isn't great every game, the Oiler probably have 2 or 3 more goals last night and a couple more the game before. I have a younger bro who melts down at a drop of a hat over anything to the point, I stopped reading his texts last night. He argues with me about how all these old habits are creeping back in and how worried he is and I am just not seeing it. So help me understand. If the expectation is in order for the Oilers to not be seen as "Sitting back", the Oilers almost shut out the Kings from shots every period like the first last night, I just think that isn't realistic.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821450 is a reply to message #821448 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 09:23

I'm hoping someone in here can help me by explaining to me what makes people think the Oilers "sat back" again because I am seeing that sentiment on twitter.

Fans don't think. Once an idea takes hold it becomes almost impossible to fight against a prevailing narrative. Especially when a tv media panel says something stupid and fuels the fire.

LA tipped the ice a couple of times because they're a good hockey team working hard to win hockey games. But that's very different than thinking the Oilers sat back or were out played.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821451 is a reply to message #821450 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Part of the natural flows of the game. You’re not going to dominate the play for 60 minutes, you just can control it enough to win more than you lose.

Ultimately LA has had a lead for 0 seconds of this series. We just need not to be reckless.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821452 is a reply to message #821450 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 09:40

Fans don't think. Once an idea takes hold it becomes almost impossible to fight against a prevailing narrative. Especially when a tv media panel says something stupid and fuels the fire.

LA tipped the ice a couple of times because they're a good hockey team working hard to win hockey games. But that's very different than thinking the Oilers sat back or were out played.

Yeah, and people love their tropes. We were up 2-0, then it was 2-2 so we must have sat back, right?

I mean, look at that game day thread. There were a lot of people feeling pretty depressed in here and piling on players who had nothing to do with the penalty issues or the goals against like Yamamoto.

RDOF - maybe get your brother to sign up here. We can straighten him out.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821454 is a reply to message #821452 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 09:59

Yeah, and people love their tropes. We were up 2-0, then it was 2-2 so we must have sat back, right?

I mean, look at that game day thread. There were a lot of people feeling pretty depressed in here and piling on players who had nothing to do with the penalty issues or the goals against like Yamamoto.

I think it's the difference between process and results. It's very hard to look through the headline and see what created the headline. LA scoring a couple goals doesn't necessarily mean the Oilers stopped trying to score (frankly they were unlucky not to make the 2-0 lead 4-0 last night). McDavid only has one secondary assist, but he's played very well. To the contrary, he's actually played very well.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821455 is a reply to message #821452 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 09:59

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 09:40

RDOF - maybe get your brother to sign up here. We can straighten him out.

I have actually said to him he would fit in here as his tendency is to go to the pessimistic view first when it comes to management, the coaches, the team, etc. Which in here at times is how some posters lean towards and I am 100% not meaning that as a shot to anyone in here. I think there is a lot of fans, my brother include, who have PTSD from the past and can't let it go so they assume the worst right away. When the team wasn't firing on all cylinders earlier in the season, even though they were either in the wild card or just barely out of the playoffs, he was sure they were missing the playoffs even though there was half the season left.

So often times I have to just stop responding to his texts during the game because if they have a bad 5 mins, that instantly means they are back to their old ways.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821449 is a reply to message #821446 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 08:46

I know sometimes his puck play in his own end isn't great but I would like to see Kostin get more mins. He makes things happen when he is out there. A goal, 2 shots, 5 hits in 7:42 is pretty productive.

I think the Oilers need to become more "cagey" as Debrusk put it when the "cagey" vet Doughty drew a penalty out of nothing. The refs don't want to give the Oilers PP's very easily because they know the Oilers will score on them so it's pretty clear they have to dive and embellish. PP's were 4-1 Kings last night, 10-4 in the series. I am sorry but the Kings aren't playing perfect, 100% clean hockey. As an example Desharnais got a closed fist, glove on punch in the face and no call.

We can complain about the ref's or just buckle down, stop taking stupid penalties (Doughty's dive was magical and I appreciate the earned reputation effort) and continue to dominate LA at 5v5. I have zero concerns about this series. McDavid will bust out for a couple games, and Skinner has been average with room to be much better.

I'd like to see the Oilers give Klim a little more ice time and reduce Yamo's a bit. The playoffs are all about playing the guys who are going. Lots of times its the some bottom 6 guys that have a series that can turn the tide. I don't think Yamo is playing bad, I just don't notice him much vs when Kostin in his limited time on the ice, I notice him. Game 1, Kostin was flying around hitting guys, mixing it up, last night against he was flying around, hitting guys, got a goal. Created chances and chaos. Then think about Yamo who gets twice as much ice time and I struggle to think of a good play that he did. I don't remember him doing anything of note last night and the only thing I remember of him game 1 is him missing a wide open net.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821457 is a reply to message #821449 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 09:28

I'd like to see the Oilers give Klim a little more ice time and reduce Yamo's a bit. The playoffs are all about playing the guys who are going. Lots of times its the some bottom 6 guys that have a series that can turn the tide. I don't think Yamo is playing bad, I just don't notice him much vs when Kostin in his limited time on the ice, I notice him. Game 1, Kostin was flying around hitting guys, mixing it up, last night against he was flying around, hitting guys, got a goal. Created chances and chaos. Then think about Yamo who gets twice as much ice time and I struggle to think of a good play that he did. I don't remember him doing anything of note last night and the only thing I remember of him game 1 is him missing a wide open net.

I’d be cautious about giving Klim 15+ minutes like Yamo gets. Part of his success is the limited minutes and line match ups.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821458 is a reply to message #821457 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 11:00

I’d be cautious about giving Klim 15+ minutes like Yamo gets. Part of his success is the limited minutes and line match ups.

Yes - Kostin is a great fourth liner who can really be impactful against other team's fourth lines, especially when we go 11-7 because then he gets Draisaitl, McDavid & Nugent-Hopkins as his center most of the time he's on the ice.

I'm not sure we get the same from him in 15 minutes a night.

I also don't have a lot of issue with what Yamamoto has done so far, nor McLeod really. I get people want him to be more physical, but I think a lot of the time it's cheating defensively to turn away and make sure you're back in position rather than making the semi-late hit all the time. As the center, I expect McLeod to be a little more concerned about getting back rather than rattling the boards.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821460 is a reply to message #821458 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 11:17

Yes - Kostin is a great fourth liner who can really be impactful against other team's fourth lines, especially when we go 11-7 because then he gets Draisaitl, McDavid & Nugent-Hopkins as his center most of the time he's on the ice.

I'm not sure we get the same from him in 15 minutes a night.

I also don't have a lot of issue with what Yamamoto has done so far, nor McLeod really. I get people want him to be more physical, but I think a lot of the time it's cheating defensively to turn away and make sure you're back in position rather than making the semi-late hit all the time. As the center, I expect McLeod to be a little more concerned about getting back rather than rattling the boards.

I don't think game 3 is the time to really monkey with the lineups and assignments. They can be massaged based on matchups, guys getting hot or nicked up, and hunches but I think it's best to be happy we got a Klim goal and to keep things mostly as they are until the games show it isn't working.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821461 is a reply to message #821457 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 09:28

Oh no, I wouldn't give Kostin 15 mins. I was meaning give him a few more shifts. Yamo played 15:43, 14:30 5 on 5. Kostin 7:42 5 on 5. So Yamo was almost double Kostin 5 on 5. I was talking 2-3 more mins for Kostin. Get him around 10 mins that's like 3 to 5 more shifts. Drop Yamo's 5 on 5 down a bit and Kostin up.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821456 is a reply to message #821389 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

No one is really bringing up Nurse’s solid play?

Thoughts? We are to quick dump on him, but he’s looked especially solid in my rum blurred eyes. Leading the team in TOI and a solid +4. Ekholm effect in taking away some of his matchups likely tells a chunk of the story.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 April 2023 12:04]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #821464 is a reply to message #821456 ]
Thu, 20 April 2023 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 20 April 2023 10:58

No one is really bringing up Nurse’s solid play?

Thoughts? We are to quick dump on him, but he’s looked especially solid in my rum blurred eyes. Leading the team in TOI and a solid +4. Ekholm effect in taking away some of his matchups likely tells a chunk of the story.

I thought he was great. Blocking shots. Separating players from the puck with command. Not playing above his ability.

He may even get better. This bodes very well.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:OilFans Playoff Bracket Challenge
Next Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca