This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820930]
Fri, 14 April 2023 09:42 Go to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Schedule:

Mon., April 17: Kings at Oilers, 10 p.m. ET, SN, CBC, TVAS, ESPN

Wed., April 19: Kings at Oilers, 10 p.m. ET, SN, CBC, TVAS, ESPN

Fri., April 21: Oilers at Kings, 10 p.m. ET, SN, CBC, TVAS, TNT

Sun., April 23: Oilers at Kings, 9 p.m. ET, SN, CBC, TVAS, TBS

Tue., April 25: Kings at Oilers, TBA

Sat., April 29: Oilers at Kings, TBA

Mon., May 1: Kings at Oilers, TBA

[Updated on: Sat, 15 April 2023 00:35]

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820937 is a reply to message #820930 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 09:42

First two games are on Monday and Wednesday in Edmonton! Rest of the schedule to follow (annoyed emoji).

Destroy

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820942 is a reply to message #820937 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

At the start of March when it looked like it was going to be the Oilers and Kings, I was worried about the Kings. I thought they had the Oilers number. I was worried they would push the Oilers around. The goaltending was OK not great, the PK wasn't great and the defense was suspect.

But since March 1:
- They are 18-2-1 and have the best record in the NHL since Jan.
-The Oilers defense has tightened up big time. In the last 7 games, they have give up 6 goals. The whole team including the big boys have committed to playing defense.
- The defense with the addition of Ekholm has solidified. Nurse has settled down knowing he doesn't have to do it all anymore. Ceci I think has been a lot better, he supposedly has been dealing with an injury and maybe that's better. Ekholm gives you another big min playing, really good dman. Bouchard with the help of Ekholm is becoming the dman everyone expected. Then you have Kulak who's a damn good 3rd pairing guy and a nasty SOB in Deharnhais to make life miserable. The defense is big, mobile, has some puck moving and offense in every pairing, has physicality and toughness in every pairing and can defend. There is no covering your eyes and hoping for the best with any of the pairings in my opinion like in past years.
- The PP hasn't cooled off, even with turning it over to Bouchard after trading Barrie. If you take a penalty, you will be scored on. They set an NHL record for
- The PK has been excellent, I think they killed off something like 19 or 20 in a row before last night. Plus they are an extreme threat to score shorties. I think they have 18 that leads the NHL.
- They played the Kings twice and beat them playing Kings hockey twice.
- The Oilers have been the physical aggressor and it's not just from a couple of guys, it's all of them.
- The top guys scoring wise haven't cooled off at all but they are no longer reliant on McD and Leon to score. If you look at the 12 forwards that are mostly likely playing in game 1, everyone of them has 10 or more goals. I can't remember an Oilers the last Oilers team that has had that much scoring depth. Gone are the days when once McD and Leon step off the ice, they are in trouble. Their bottom 6 out scorers other teams.

I am trying not to be over confident but I don't see the Kings being able to hang with the Oilers.

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820943 is a reply to message #820942 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Not looking forward to the inevitable 11:30pm puck drops that will be happening for the games in LA, so hopefully we can beat them in short order so I don't need to put up with more than two of them.

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820944 is a reply to message #820943 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 10:52

Not looking forward to the inevitable 11:30pm puck drops that will be happening for the games in LA, so hopefully we can beat them in short order so I don't need to put up with more than two of them.

Yup. There are two west coast teams in the playoffs and they might both be playing mountain time zone teams (if Colorado beats Nashville tonight). Edmonton is starting every game after 8.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820945 is a reply to message #820944 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 10:58

Yup. There are two west coast teams in the playoffs and they might both be playing mountain time zone teams (if Colorado beats Nashville tonight). Edmonton is starting every game after 8.

Three actually: Los Angeles, Seattle, and Vegas. Vegas (and possibly Seattle if the Avs lose tonight) play a team on central time.

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820948 is a reply to message #820945 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

benv wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 11:04

Three actually: Los Angeles, Seattle, and Vegas. Vegas (and possibly Seattle if the Avs lose tonight) play a team on central time.

Oh right. Vegas. I wonder if the NHL is so dismissive of the Winnipeg market that they'll get stupid late home starts. Game 3 and 4 in Winnipeg would be weekend games so maybe?

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820959 is a reply to message #820948 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 12:10

benv wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 11:04

Oh right. Vegas. I wonder if the NHL is so dismissive of the Winnipeg market that they'll get stupid late home starts. Game 3 and 4 in Winnipeg would be weekend games so maybe?

One thing is for sure...Sabres fans will be cheering hard for Winnipeg in that series....

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820946 is a reply to message #820942 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 10:48

At the start of March when it looked like it was going to be the Oilers and Kings, I was worried about the Kings. I thought they had the Oilers number. I was worried they would push the Oilers around. The goaltending was OK not great, the PK wasn't great and the defense was suspect.
<snip>
I am trying not to be over confident but I don't see the Kings being able to hang with the Oilers.

The Oilers had that bad 6-3 loss at LA in January which, in retrospect, was probably the low point of the season. The had a couple of fights and seemed to turn the whole season around for the rest of the road trip and thereafter. I think, but didn't get into game logs to verify, that's when Skinner because the undisputed with the coach.

So, in conclusion, I guess the Kings are to blame for turn the Oilers into a .. juggernaut?

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820949 is a reply to message #820930 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

LA will be a different team than last year with additions of Fiala and Gavrikov with a healthy Doughty. But we are different too.

I expect this to be an extra tough series on the body. There is a lot of hate now.

Clean house or bust

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820951 is a reply to message #820949 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 12:14

LA will be a different team than last year with additions of Fiala and Gavrikov with a healthy Doughty. But we are different too.

I expect this to be an extra tough series on the body. There is a lot of hate now.

As #97 said in an interview, "yeah they've gotten better...but we've gotten better as well"

I wonder what the status of Gabe Vilardi and Kevin Fiala are for the Kings...looks like they're still out which would help us a ton.

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820953 is a reply to message #820951 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Too bad Mikey Anderson is back and probably looking to hurt someone.

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820958 is a reply to message #820953 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Fri, 14 April 2023 11:57

Too bad Mikey Anderson is back and probably looking to hurt someone.

Yeah, Mikey's knees are gonna be out when McDavid and Drai are coming by. Better keep their heads up. Also look out for chokeholds and takedowns from behind in scrums.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820965 is a reply to message #820930 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Only thing about LA that could possibly be a challenge is Korpisalo.. he's a decent stopper.. Oil will not win this series in a shoot out.. need to lock down.. which they are more than capable of.. now. icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820967 is a reply to message #820930 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

.. another thought on Ekholm addition.. the fact that he's pulling heavy minutes vs Opposition Elites is that in addition to Ceci and Nurse playing less vs. Elites (bonus), is that the D pairings don't have to be matched as closely as before.. you have two pars to put out there now vs Elites.. less chaos on the bench, less bad line changes.. tighter game.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820971 is a reply to message #820930 ]
Fri, 14 April 2023 17:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Different feeling this spring. It's like knowing of the Oilers can play the way they've demonstrated they can play for long stretches, they can defeat anyone.

No longer are we worried that our bottom 6 is going to get caved in. Our bottom 6 now stacks up favorably against almost anyone.

No longer are we worried about losing battles and getting pushed around. Ain't gonna happen. They regularly beat other teams to loose pucks and win battles down the lineup.

Nurse healthy, LD healthy. Nothing big out there that's hindering performance.

Their skill will be a difference maker in tight games.

I think the only potential loose end is between the pipes if the starter falters, but that could be said for most if not all teams in the playoffs.

We've seen in the past that a great team doesn't always punch a ticket to the SCF and win, but this year kinda has that spring of '83...maybe spring of '84 feeling.

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820975 is a reply to message #820971 ]
Sat, 15 April 2023 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

A couple thoughts now that the schedule has been release with times for the first four games:

-I guess the script calls for the Oilers in 5? A three day break between games 5 & 6 is ridiculous.
-At least Sunday's game is at 7 pm mountain (10 pm atlantic) send your thanks to the league office
-The Oilers look like they'll be doubleheader partners with Boston and Florida
-The central time zone is getting absolutely screwed. All three Wild /Stars weekday games start at 8:30 local. The Jets weekday game gets the same treatment.
-Only Seattle / Colorado don't get extra days off
-NYR is getting an 8pm Saturday start and bumping Billy Joel. Tickets for Billy Joel at MSG, in case you're wondering, start at $487 right now.
-4 games / night for the first 8 days, then things string out just as series start to end. The NHL is tempting fate that they won't lose momentum with dark nights.
-The Oilers are getting robbed of a Saturday night game 7 (if necessary). In fact the Oilers get no weekend home games. Monday, Wednesday, Tuesday, Monday. The Kangs get Friday, Sunday, Saturday. So I guess the bars here will be happy? Looks like a couple cheap flight options exist for a LA weekend.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 April 2023 01:13]

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820981 is a reply to message #820975 ]
Sat, 15 April 2023 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Nervous folks. Can’t wait

Oilers in 6!

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820983 is a reply to message #820981 ]
Sun, 16 April 2023 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Sat, 15 April 2023 20:53

Nervous folks. Can’t wait

Oilers in 6!

Same here honestly. They don’t have Quick in net anymore and the following 4 dmen are dirty plugs who could wreck our lives; Doughty, Anderson, Edler, Durzi. Hacks man.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820984 is a reply to message #820930 ]
Sun, 16 April 2023 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f8/MA_Route_16.svg

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2) [message #820985 is a reply to message #820984 ]
Sun, 16 April 2023 19:31 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Hell yeah! A tradition like no other.

Previous Topic:Ekholm trade
Next Topic:Review: San Jose @ Edmonton (Game #82)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca