This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820546]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Los Angeles to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820552 is a reply to message #820546 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

We know how to play these guys. Awesome win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820555 is a reply to message #820552 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 23:15

We know how to play these guys. Awesome win

I’d still rather not see the Oil play them in the first round. It would be a brutal series.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820556 is a reply to message #820546 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Was that a classic McLellan adjustment by the Kings? They have been lighting teams up all year and decide to go into a shell against us.

Apparently we can defend too now. Nice to see.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820557 is a reply to message #820556 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 23:18

Was that a classic McLellan adjustment by the Kings? They have been lighting teams up all year and decide to go into a shell against us.

It is likely them going into playoff mode, as they will likely play exactly like this once the postseason starts.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820558 is a reply to message #820557 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 23:19

It is likely them going into playoff mode, as they will likely play exactly like this once the postseason starts.

Seems like they are getting away from what made them successful this year, including against us. Go McLellan go? He's a legend of poor adjustments

[Updated on: Tue, 04 April 2023 23:21]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820562 is a reply to message #820556 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

#EkholmEffect

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820564 is a reply to message #820562 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

I know this is now very much Woody's team, buy it's still not far removed from McLellan's Oilers and he knows how to stiffle us. I don't want a series against them, I fear my nerves will be shredded by the end of it and I'd be suffering with heartburn till the end of the play-off's because of it.

Saying that, over the last few games, I have to go back to 06 when I felt as comfortable with our D. Were it not for Steve Levy mentioning it about 3 minutes before we gave up the goal, we looked good for a third straight shut out. That's a real boost going into the play off's of course.

As for the game overall, we did what we had to do, McDavid moved up a gear in the third and the team looked better for it. Onto the Ducks tomorrow.....

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820571 is a reply to message #820562 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 04 April 2023 22:27

#EkholmEffect

He's been like an Elixir icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820574 is a reply to message #820571 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

I've been critical of the loosey-goosey style of play that we'd been running the past few weeks against those weaker opponents. Really happy to see us tighten that up over the past 3-4 games. When we play like this there are very few teams that can hang with us. Colorado & Boston are about it.

Looking forward to our game against Colorado as they've been trending upwards in a big way too now that they are healthier.

Were the refs as bad last night as the radio guys made out? I had it on as background noise while I was in bed, and Bob was absolutely fuming about some of the calls and non-calls.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820575 is a reply to message #820574 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 05 April 2023 06:42

Were the refs as bad last night as the radio guys made out? I had it on as background noise while I was in bed, and Bob was absolutely fuming about some of the calls and non-calls.

I thought a couple of the early ones were weak. My guess is about 3 pretty egregious non calls.
Louie DeBrusk was as critical of the refs as I've heard him as well well.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820561 is a reply to message #820546 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k is currently online g2k

2 Cups

Skinner could have gotten a Star tonight.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820563 is a reply to message #820546 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Best powerplay ever?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fs7JYsaWIAApfbr?format=jpg&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820565 is a reply to message #820546 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

We are for real.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820567 is a reply to message #820546 ]
Tue, 04 April 2023 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Ruh roh, Oilers defending and playing big boy hockey.....

A big eff you this game to the likely 1st round opponent. Should have been a clean sheet for Skinner, a floaty looking shot that looked like Desharnais just skated past in time for it to appear and go in.

Connor McDavid was a horse shortly after and absolutely not giving some suspect refs a choice but to call a penalty. The PP delivered this game, along with solid play by Skinner and the guys in front of him at ES and on the kill.

Gotta say, I like how Leon Draisaitl has shook off whatever was going on earlier in the season, maybe fully recovered from that sprain, and has absolutely played outstanding hockey for a bit over a month. He's going to be a beast in the playoffs.

Oilers figured out that stretch passes into a clogged up the middle D that LA plays isn't a breakout, and supported their D on the breakout. Hard on pucks for most of the game, winning battles, hitting guys wearing black jerseys. We just haven't seen that big breakdown that goes in for a few games now, and hopefully it stays that way.

Would like to see 93 get his hundy at home, but it's probably going to be in Anaheim. They need to curb stomp the weak opponents to finish off, and I expect a motivated effort against the Avs.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820568 is a reply to message #820567 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Oilers figured out that stretch passes into a clogged up the middle D that LA plays isn't a breakout, and supported their D on the breakout. Hard on pucks for most of the game, winning battles, hitting guys wearing black jerseys. We just haven't seen that big breakdown that goes in for a few games now, and hopefully it stays that way.

Completely right... about the "2-zone" breakout. icon_cool

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820569 is a reply to message #820546 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Oilers are tied for 6th in the league at game 78.

I've never felt this feeling before.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78) [message #820578 is a reply to message #820569 ]
Wed, 05 April 2023 08:29 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I have said it many times. When the Oilers were having struggles defending earlier this year, it wasn't the system, it wasn't the coaches, it wasn't the GM, it was the players.

At times they weren't getting the timely saves. They are getting timely saves.
I felt the big boys, the guys who get all the ice time, get all the chances and are the keys to the team, in many games they weren't playing sound hockey at all. They were doing whatever they wanted to do. Well now in the last month, they flipped the switch and as a team decided it's time to play sound hockey to get ready for the playoffs. Sure they still make the odd mistake but as a team, from McD down, they whole team is playing sound hockey. They are all backchecking hard, they are picking up their men, they aren't cheating for offense. They biggest thing of all, they are ADJUSTING THEIR GAME to find ways to beat teams.

The 2-0 game at home and last nights game against the Kings, if those games were played in November, there is no chance they would have won those games the way they did. The Kings play a 1-3-1 or even a 1-1-3. They stack the line. They don't attack, they sit back and wait. They want you to try to go through all of them so they can turn pucks over and go the other way. The Kings did that in both games. What did the Oilers do? They dumped it in and used their superior skill and speed to go get the puck. Dumping it in is in my opinion, the exact opposite of how McD, Leon, Nuge, the big boys and how they want to play. So them deciding to dump it in instead of doing what they would have done early in the year which is try to bring it in over and over again, only to be sent back, dumping it in to me shows maturity and shows they are about winning finally. They are doing whatever it takes to win. If they have to be patient and play boring, low event hockey to beat a team, they are prepared to do it now because they want to win. I have no doubt in my mind that if McD wanted too, he could have scored 70 goals but to do it, he probably had to give up a little defensively. So he made the choice to put WINNING over his own person stats and it goes down the line. It's truly an exciting thing for me to see. My team realizing what it takes to win.

I look at the Oilers and I see a team that can beat you how ever the opposition wants to play.

If a team wants to play wide open hockey. No problem, they love that hockey. The Oilers are the highest scoring team in the NHL with the 2 best offensive players in the world. They have a ton of speed, plus another 100 pt guy, plus another 80 pt guy, plus a 30 goal scorer in Kane who's just getting up to speed, plus offense on the back end, plus another 6 or 7 guys who can score between 10-15 goals. So if you want to play run and gun with the Oilers, good luck.

If you want to go play in the alley. No problem. The Oilers are big, physical, nasty, have guys who can beat the hell out of you and if you take a penalty, you will pay with their record setting PP.

If you want to lock it down, no problem. They can do that too.

The Oilers are an extremely dangers, deep team that for the last month has laser focused their game into playing playoffs hockey and doing all the things you need to do to win.

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Anaheim (Game #79)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #78)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca