This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » Oilers prospect Max Wanner Suspended by WHLPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Oilers prospect Max Wanner Suspended by WHL [message #819500 is a reply to message #819499 ]
Mon, 13 March 2023 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 13 March 2023 16:04

I just don't believe that there's a bunch of people out there who've been identified as having burnt cars who haven't received consequences.

You'd be surprised.
Quote:

And is this Moose Jaw case "woke"? How exactly?

Woke isn't exactly the right word but it's become something of a catchall lately so it's close enough. This is the rush to judgement and action to appease the mob who has to know that their justice has been meted out. The kids have been punished. The adults have been punished. The coach and GM have been punished. Because you need to know the Moose Jaw Warriors hockey organization takes whatever happened very seriously. Whether or not the punishments warranted for the action is entirely immaterial so long as you know about them.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers prospect Max Wanner Suspended by WHL [message #819512 is a reply to message #819500 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Got away with, and not faced consequences are very different.

Re: Oilers prospect Max Wanner Suspended by WHL [message #819514 is a reply to message #819512 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 09:30

Got away with, and not faced consequences are very different.

Facing consequence and you knowing consequences were faced is also different.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers prospect Max Wanner Suspended by WHL [message #819502 is a reply to message #819499 ]
Mon, 13 March 2023 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

To clarify, I wasn't indicating that I thought there was anything "woke" about the Moose Jaw case - I was only referring to the side argument between you and Pi.

You might be right (though I don't think you are), that there aren't a lot of people who are KNOWN to have burnt cars and looted stores during the BLM riots who have not been prosecuted. But it is also true that there has been a distinct lack of federal, state, and local law enforcement efforts to IDENTIFY (at the time or afterward) those rioters (let alone actually try to stop them at the time) - compare that to the vigor with which authorities have (rightly, in my estimation) pursued the rioters and trespassers on Capitol Hill from January 6 (who caused far less damage to persons and property, and at least in my estimation posed a far lesser threat to the institutions of an ordered and democratic society). Why? I hypothesize that it is because the BLM riots were in tune with the spirit of the age, while January 6 was not. Regardless of one's own personal political affiliation, I think the evidence bears out the claim that misbehavior on the political right is currently much more dangerous to someone's reputation and livelihood than is misbehavior on the political left. Again, nothing to do with Moose Jaw - just a broader sociological argument.

[As further examples - consider the harassment of Senator Kristen Sinema (D-AZ) when she refused to approve the Build Back Better legislation, including protestors hurling epithets at her and following her into restrooms to continue the harassment. I thoroughly dislike (and disapprove of) Sen. Sinema, but that kind of treatment should have been prosecuted - or at least publicly condemned. Ditto the treatment of Supreme Court Justice Kavanagh when his family's home was picketed, his wife and children were ridiculed and publicly demeaned, and they were accosted in restaurants. Thoroughly disgusting behavior, but not even remotely publicly condemned by either the White House or the national press. Would the White House or press have been similarly silent if activists had treated Justice Kagan to equivalent intimidation because of her intention to vote to uphold Roe? Meanwhile, if anti-abortion activists silently stand 50 feet from abortion clinics holding signs and/or offering to pray with women entering clinics, they are publicly pilloried and occasionally (very occasionally) arrested by authorities (despite not violating existing restrictions). Meanwhile, it took over 4 months and 90 cases of vandalism and threats against crisis pregnancy counseling centers before any law enforcement agencies VERY reluctantly began to consider those a targeted crime - despite the fact that there are known entities (e.g., Jane's Revenge) who were actively promoting and PROMISING the carrying out of those attacks. I think one could also ask oneself a simple question about doxxing (the practice of publishing the private addresses and contact information for perceived misbehavers) - when right-wing folks are doxxed, are their doxxers broadly condemned (by federal gov't and/or national media)? When left-wing folks are doxxed, are their doxxers broadly condemned?]

Lest you conclude that I am a fanatical right-winger ... until moving to the States I was a card-carrying Liberal - including serving as the campaign finance manager for a provincial candidate, and a speech transcriber (not writer, I wasn't that important) for a federal candidate, and a researcher for a sitting MLA. I consider myself a centrist - left-leaning on many politico-economic issues, right-leaning on many social issues. But I am deeply concerned about the extreme polarization of society - particularly here in the US, but also in Canada. And I deeply fear that the imbalanced treatment of misbehavior, and the inability of folks to condemn and correct misbehavior from their side of the aisle, is exacerbating the situation. And yes, I assign a LOT of blame to national media for the polarization - national media in both countries is so overwhelmingly left-leaning that most of them (and most news consumers) do not even SEE the bias, because it permeates virtually all of their news sources.

End tirade.

Back to Moose Jaw - whatever the young men did, if it is not going to be prosecuted by authorities, and (assuming there were victims) the victims are not going to step forward to talk about what happened - then I tend to think we should neither demand nor desire to know all the details. They have been punished by the relevant bodies - and we do not (and hopefully never will) know whether their punishment has been unreasonably lenient, reasonable, or unreasonably harsh.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:College Free Agents (2023)
Next Topic:D. Holloway
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca