This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » College Free Agents (2023)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 College Free Agents (2023) [message #819225]
Wed, 08 March 2023 11:50 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Seeing that Oilers don't have a 1st round pick in 2023.. here are some of the College Free Agents potentially available this year

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/10707606-top-college-free- agents-eligible-to-sign-with-nhl-teams-in-2023

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819226 is a reply to message #819225 ]
Wed, 08 March 2023 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I like this idea. I'd be spending a lot of amateur scouting capital on US college players who might be closer to NHL ready. Naturally I have no idea who these players are or if they're any good, but someone in the Oilers office should know.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819227 is a reply to message #819225 ]
Wed, 08 March 2023 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

This is a potential RHD .. worth a shot.. not much in the pipeline now after both Kesselring and Samorukov were traded.

Quote:

Jake Livingstone, RHD, Minnesota State

A 23-year-old defenseman who has been pursued by NHL teams for each of the last three seasons, Livingstone is a strong offensive performer with size and good mobility. He’s second on his team in scoring with 30 points. He defends well on top of producing, and can be a weapon in transition.

The right-shot defenseman comes in at 6-foot-3, 205, so he has the size NHL teams are interested in. On top of that, he's got some track record with two 30-plus point seasons in college hockey and good numbers from his junior days in the BCHL. He likely tops out as a bottom-pairing defenseman, but there's a lot to like in his game.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819534 is a reply to message #819227 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 08 March 2023 14:02

This is a potential RHD .. worth a shot.. not much in the pipeline now after both Kesselring and Samorukov were traded.

Quote:

A 23-year-old defenseman who has been pursued by NHL teams for each of the last three seasons, Livingstone is a strong offensive performer with size and good mobility. He’s second on his team in scoring with 30 points. He defends well on top of producing, and can be a weapon in transition.

The right-shot defenseman comes in at 6-foot-3, 205, so he has the size NHL teams are interested in. On top of that, he's got some track record with two 30-plus point seasons in college hockey and good numbers from his junior days in the BCHL. He likely tops out as a bottom-pairing defenseman, but there's a lot to like in his game.

I do wonder if the Oilers are going to have more trouble attracting defence prospects than they will at forward. If I'm 23-year old hoping for an NHL job, I'm looking at who has room on their defence for me to push my way in. The Oilers defence currently is pretty much all signed long-term.

Nurse - 7 more years
Ekholm - 3 more years
Ceci - 2 more years
Kulak - 3 more years
Broberg - 1 more year
Desharnais - 1 more year
Niemelainen - 1 more year
Bouchard - RFA, but potentially the most important blueliner, so the one guy the team should look to sign long-term (I think they'll bridge and pay through the nose for it in two years).

Slater Koekkoek and Ryan Murray get cut loose this summer, but even so, the NHL team looks pretty set for the foreseeable future with a bit of a logjam of young guys at the bottom.

We probably need to find a new home for Ceci or Kulak if we want to make any room, but failing that I think it'll be hard for a guy like Livingstone to choose Edmonton (although the lack of RDs might be slightly appealing).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819535 is a reply to message #819534 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 18:40

Quote:

I do wonder if the Oilers are going to have more trouble attracting defence prospects than they will at forward. If I'm 23-year old hoping for an NHL job, I'm looking at who has room on their defence for me to push my way in. The Oilers defence currently is pretty much all signed long-term.

Nurse - 7 more years
Ekholm - 3 more years
Ceci - 2 more years
Kulak - 3 more years
Broberg - 1 more year
Desharnais - 1 more year
Bouchard - RFA, but potentially the most important blueliner, so the one guy the team should look to sign long-term (I think they'll bridge and pay through the nose for it in two years).

Slater Koekkoek and Ryan Murray get cut loose this summer, but even so, the NHL team looks pretty set for the foreseeable future with a bit of a logjam of young guys at the bottom.

We probably need to find a new home for Ceci or Kulak if we want to make any room, but failing that I think it'll be hard for a guy like Livingstone to choose Edmonton (although the lack of RDs might be slightly appealing).

I totally forgot that Koekkoek was still technically on the Oilers this year. That goal he scored on the Oilers in the bubble sure paid off for him.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819537 is a reply to message #819534 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 15:40

Quote:

Nurse - 7 more years
Ekholm - 3 more years
Ceci - 2 more years
Kulak - 3 more years
Broberg - 1 more year
Desharnais - 1 more year

Only RHD are Desharnais, Bouchard, Ceci.. on the farm there is only Kemp.. so lots of room there in Bako, Kemp is ok but he's an NHL long shot.. which would be any college free agent as well.
Only real NHL obstacle on RHD would be Bouchard if he keeps developing.. Ceci's contract is finished in 2 years.. Desharnais still needs to prove he's NHL caliber for a whole season..

If a RHD is coming in from college, IMO he can expect at least 2 years in AHL development before becoming NHL capable, unless he is NHL ready out college, which is highly unlikely for defenseman. The smart move is to get an NHL team to sign you to a contract, get yourself into an NHL system, and work your butt off to develop into a pro..

[Updated on: Tue, 14 March 2023 18:56]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819569 is a reply to message #819537 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 18:52

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 15:40

Quote:

Nurse - 7 more years
Ekholm - 3 more years
Ceci - 2 more years
Kulak - 3 more years
Broberg - 1 more year
Desharnais - 1 more year

Only RHD are Desharnais, Bouchard, Ceci.. on the farm there is only Kemp.. so lots of room there in Bako, Kemp is ok but he's an NHL long shot.. which would be any college free agent as well.
Only real NHL obstacle on RHD would be Bouchard if he keeps developing.. Ceci's contract is finished in 2 years.. Desharnais still needs to prove he's NHL caliber for a whole season..

If a RHD is coming in from college, IMO he can expect at least 2 years in AHL development before becoming NHL capable, unless he is NHL ready out college, which is highly unlikely for defenseman. The smart move is to get an NHL team to sign you to a contract, get yourself into an NHL system, and work your butt off to develop into a pro..

If I’m a top college d-man, I’m looking for a place where I’ll be in the NHL in year 1, year 2 at the worst. I’m not waiting until I’m 25, 26, 27 to make NHL money. Your roster is already full at RHD and I’m waiting in the wings a couple years? Screw that. I have options and it’s better to be in Arizona making $900K a year on a last Place team than 175K in Bakersfield with the hope the team doesn’t acquire someone better to push me down the depth chart as I pay my dues.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819382 is a reply to message #819225 ]
Sat, 11 March 2023 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Another survey of College players available..

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/top-10-ncaa-free-agents-to -watch-in-the-nhl

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819492 is a reply to message #819382 ]
Mon, 13 March 2023 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Every year all these college free agents come out and all the NHL teams get all excited. I'd love to know if someone has actually tracked how these college free agents turn out? How many of them actually turn into impactful NHLers vs just being depth guys or NHL tweeners.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819507 is a reply to message #819492 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 March 2023 09:51

Every year all these college free agents come out and all the NHL teams get all excited. I'd love to know if someone has actually tracked how these college free agents turn out? How many of them actually turn into impactful NHLers vs just being depth guys or NHL tweeners.

It would be an interesting study.. but off the top of my head..

Oilers got both Fanti (Goalie, NCAA), Philp (RC, UofA) in last years signings.. Philp is tracking very well in Bako, and Fanti is learning his pro chops in the ECHL, not doing badly.. could be on a similar pro path as Skinner.

And in the past.. Oilers got Schultz, NYR got Fox (from Calgary draftee), Pittsburgh got Marino (Edm. draftee)..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819511 is a reply to message #819507 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 02:45

Oilers got both Fanti (Goalie, NCAA), Philp (RC, UofA) in last years signings.. Philp is tracking very well in Bako, and Fanti is learning his pro chops in the ECHL, not doing badly.. could be on a similar pro path as Skinner.

And in the past.. Oilers got Schultz, NYR got Fox (from Calgary draftee), Pittsburgh got Marino (Edm. draftee)..

I was more referring to the true free agents. Guys who didn't get drafted by NHL teams, did all their time in the College and who NHL teams get all excited about signing.

Schultz was a 2nd round pick by the Ducks that just held out.
Fox was a 3rd round pick by the Flames who didn't want to sign with the Flames.

You expect those guys to play, especially 2nd round picks.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819516 is a reply to message #819511 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 08:41

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 02:45

I was more referring to the true free agents. Guys who didn't get drafted by NHL teams, did all their time in the College and who NHL teams get all excited about signing.

Schultz was a 2nd round pick by the Ducks that just held out.
Fox was a 3rd round pick by the Flames who didn't want to sign with the Flames.

You expect those guys to play, especially 2nd round picks.

First off, it doesn't really matter if they were drafted or not. If they're a free agent then they are a free agent.

Secondly, it's not about holding out - Schultz didn't hold out. Teams have a certain amount of time to sign players who've been drafted and after that, depending on their route, they either are draft eligible again or they become free agents. Schultz worked a loophole where if you were drafted out of Jr B, then went the college route, you'd become a UFA in 2 years rather than re-entering the draft. Mike Comrie used the same loophole actually, as did several others. I'm not clear if that loophole still exists. That's just an opportunity for teams because some good players are going to shake loose.

yes, there's been lots of good college players. Some drafted, some not. Curtis Joseph, for example was an undrafted college player. Ed Belfour too. The Flames in the 1980s were hugely tilted to college kids. Joel Otto and Joe Mullen were two big parts of that team - both undrafted college players.

The Oilers have signed a bunch of guys in the last ten years who've been contributors. In addition to Schultz, there's Marc Arcobello, Drake Caggiula, Matt Benning. We have superstars, so we just need good contributors on cost-controlled contracts. Getting depth guys from college ranks is one way to do that. If they become the next Jake Guentzel, then even better.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819518 is a reply to message #819511 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Also - you shouldn't expect 2nd and 3rd round picks to play in the NHL. Many of them won't get any games, and lots will only have a cup of coffee.

Quick brief exercise to look at this

31 2nd rd picks, 15 played over 50 games, 8 played >50 games, 8 never played.
30 3rd round picks, 7 played over 50 games, 5 played under 50, 18 never played.

31 2nd round picks, 17 over 50, 6 under 50, 8 never played
30 3rd round picks, 10 over 50, 6 under 50, 14 never played

30 2nd round picks, 17 over 50, 8 under 50, 5 never played
30 3rd round picks, 8 over 50, 4 under 50, 18 never played.

2011 (great year!)
31 2nd round picks, 20 over 50, 8 under 50, 3 never played
30 3rd round picks, 13 over 50, 9 under 50, 7 never played

2012 (terrible year!)
31 2nd round picks, 13 over 50 games, 3 under 50 games, 15 no games.
30 2nd round picks, 15 over 50 games, 3 under 50 games, 12 never play

So in that five year period, 82 of 154 2nd rounders played at least 50 games, and 43 of 150 3rd rounders did. While it's probably really generous to count the guys with NHL careers under 100 games as NHL players, even if we do, we're talking about a 53% success rate for 2nd round picks, and a 29% success rate for 3rd round picks.

In the same period, 39 second rounders - 25% - never played a single NHL game. For third rounders, 69 of them - 46% never got a sniff.

Something to remember the next time someone's bemoaning the team trading a 3rd round pick for an actual NHL player...

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819517 is a reply to message #819225 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

It doesn't answer the question completely but here you can find the distribution of current NHL'ers by draft round, and undrafted; https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/nhl-players-stats.ht ml

At the bottom there is a demographics section where you can click on draft rounds.
1st; 34.2%
2nd; 16.9%
3rd; 10.6%

undrafted; 15.6%

There will be some college FA's not included in the undrafted as guys like Fox and Schultz would have the draft round listed.
There would also be some undrafted guys who didn't go the college route in there.

I think it does show that keeping an eye on college or any other undrafted FA's is a solid strategy.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819519 is a reply to message #819517 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 11:27

It doesn't answer the question completely but here you can find the distribution of current NHL'ers by draft round, and undrafted; https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seasons/nhl-players-stats.ht ml

At the bottom there is a demographics section where you can click on draft rounds.
1st; 34.2%
2nd; 16.9%
3rd; 10.6%

undrafted; 15.6%

There will be some college FA's not included in the undrafted as guys like Fox and Schultz would have the draft round listed.
There would also be some undrafted guys who didn't go the college route in there.

I think it does show that keeping an eye on college or any other undrafted FA's is a solid strategy.

There's always going to be a contingent, especially in Edmonton where so many have been influenced for so long by such poor sportswriters, who'll scoff at the free agent route and talk about how everyone is always "the next Jiri Dopita", but the fact is that any good team is looking at every player acquisition avenue. I mean, Artemi Panarin is arguably a top-ten forward in the league and he was a free agent signing out of Europe.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819523 is a reply to message #819519 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 11:45

1st; 34.2%
2nd; 16.9%
3rd; 10.6%

undrafted; 15.6%

There's always going to be a contingent, especially in Edmonton where so many have been influenced for so long by such poor sportswriters, who'll scoff at the free agent route and talk about how everyone is always "the next Jiri Dopita", but the fact is that any good team is looking at every player acquisition avenue. I mean, Artemi Panarin is arguably a top-ten forward in the league and he was a free agent signing out of Europe.

Jiri Dopita would be an interesting case study in fan management. I remember the Oilers and their public relations team in media hyping him well beyond what he could reasonably expect to contribute. "Best player not in the NHL" and "the Mark Messier(?) of the Czech League" are high bars to clear. Predictably when he came over and was only ok in adjusting to the NHL the knives came out immediately.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819529 is a reply to message #819523 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 12:47

Adam wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 11:45

1st; 34.2%
2nd; 16.9%
3rd; 10.6%

undrafted; 15.6%

Jiri Dopita would be an interesting case study in fan management. I remember the Oilers and their public relations team in media hyping him well beyond what he could reasonably expect to contribute. "Best player not in the NHL" and "the Mark Messier(?) of the Czech League" are high bars to clear. Predictably when he came over and was only ok in adjusting to the NHL the knives came out immediately.

He originally came to Philadelphia I believe and then we traded for him? I could just look that up, but I think that's how it rolled out.

I have heard that he had zero time for the media, and may have been generally unpleasant too so I'm sure that didn't do him any favours with the knives. I think he was older too when he made it here. People made a lot about Panarin being an old rookie, but he was only like 24...I think Dopita was approaching 30.

EDIT: Damn - I can't help myself but be thorough.

He was signed by Philly and came to the Oilers for a 3rd round pick. He only played 21 games here.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=43527

His numbers, 33 points in 79 games aren't world beating, but they're not awful, especially considering it was his first exposure to the NHL and even NHL-sized rinks. And he wasn't approaching 30, he was 33 years old. So past his prime for sure. He went back and resumed a point a game pace in the Czech league for one year, then dropped right off.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 March 2023 15:30]

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819530 is a reply to message #819529 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I completely forgot Jiri Dopita came from the Flyers. There was a lot of hype when the Flyers were trying to trade from his rights and get him to come over, but the details are fuzzy. Maybe the Oilers were trying to get him from Florida the previous year too? The hype was real though. I'm 93% sure of it.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/oilers-want-taste-of-postse ason-1.336967
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/614697-philadelphia-flye rs-top-10-players-who-never-reached-their-potential (#3)

I enjoy these trips down memory lane. 2002-03 Oilers hockey seems like a different world now.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819532 is a reply to message #819530 ]
Tue, 14 March 2023 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 14 March 2023 15:40

I completely forgot Jiri Dopita came from the Flyers. There was a lot of hype when the Flyers were trying to trade from his rights and get him to come over, but the details are fuzzy. Maybe the Oilers were trying to get him from Florida the previous year too? The hype was real though. I'm 93% sure of it.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/oilers-want-taste-of-postse ason-1.336967
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/614697-philadelphia-flye rs-top-10-players-who-never-reached-their-potential (#3)

I enjoy these trips down memory lane. 2002-03 Oilers hockey seems like a different world now.

Fascinating to see the transactions on him. Drafted first at age 24, never comes over, gets drafted again by the Islanders at age THIRTY! At age 31, the Islanders give up on getting him over and trade him for a 5th round pick to the Panthers and then two years later they get a second round pick for a 33 year old Dopita who's never yet played a game.

The GMs certainly were buying the hype at that point - and I feel like there was a bit of a bidding war as he'd said he'd come over but that he wouldn't play for miserable Florida. Florida makes out like bandits, getting a 2nd for something they paid a 5th for (although both players turned out the same - nobodies).

That first year isn't too bad. 52 games with a little injury issues, 27 points. Not probably what the Flyers were hoping for, but that's a tough lineup for him to break in to - Roenick, Gagne, Recchi, Primeau, Leclair, a young Justin Williams...there's not enough ice time to go around. So they let the Oilers have him for the 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick (which became Ryan Potulny and Chris Zarb).

21 games later, he's gone.

Ironic that the only thing traded for him to become an actual player was the Oilers 3rd round pick, who would later play more than half his NHL games (72/126) as an Edmonton Oiler. And we only had to give up Danny Syvret to get him too!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819882 is a reply to message #819225 ]
Wed, 22 March 2023 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Landed our first college free agent of the year...

Quote:

Edmonton Oilers
@EdmontonOilers
The #Oilers have signed Carl Berglund to a two-year entry-level contract starting in 2023-24!

The forward scored 12 goals & 15 assists in 36 games as a senior with @RiverHawkHockey in 2022-23 & will report to the @Condors on an amateur tryout.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=219755

6'2, 195 lbs center from Sweden.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #819902 is a reply to message #819225 ]
Wed, 22 March 2023 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Signed ATO, will report to Bako.

Could use a RHD addition ... Livingston?

https://www.lowellsun.com/2023/03/06/cool-calm-and-collected -umls-carl-berglund-still-piling-up-the-points/

https://cms.nhl.bamgrid.com/images/photos/342564372/1024x576/cut.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 22 March 2023 15:51]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #820288 is a reply to message #819225 ]
Wed, 29 March 2023 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

College gold rush is officially underway. Vancouver and Boston both signed guys today.

Hopefully this doesn't interfere with our GM's nap schedule!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #820291 is a reply to message #819225 ]
Wed, 29 March 2023 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Here is a College Free Agent signing tracker..

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/10709333-2023-nhl-college- free-agent-tracker-analysis-on-every-signing

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #820426 is a reply to message #820291 ]
Sat, 01 April 2023 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Colorado just loading up here.

Also according to this article, the three best D all landed in the West - Livingstone w/ Nashville, Malinski w/ Colorado and Hirose w/ Vancouver.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #820428 is a reply to message #820426 ]
Sat, 01 April 2023 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 01 April 2023 12:09

Colorado just loading up here.

Also according to this article, the three best D all landed in the West - Livingstone w/ Nashville, Malinski w/ Colorado and Hirose w/ Vancouver.

Looks like best RHD crop is gone,
Only RHD prospects Oilers have are Wanner and Kemp.. they need to add a prospect here, some way/how.

AHL LHD has a few guys, not sure they would add a college LHD unless they think he's significantly better than what they have.

Maybe look at a couple college prospects as a right-hand Winger or C to fill out the AHL roster.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #820397 is a reply to message #819225 ]
Fri, 31 March 2023 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Signed with Nashville.

Probably the best out there for RHD, would have been a good Oiler signing..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #821243 is a reply to message #819225 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Brindamour's kid just signed with his dad's farm team.. Charlotte Checkers on a PTO.. will play in the playoffs.

https://charlottecheckers.com/articles/skyler-brind-amour-jo ins-checkers-on-pto

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #821244 is a reply to message #821243 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 16:04

Brindamour's kid just signed with his dad's farm team.. Charlotte Checkers on a PTO.. will play in the playoffs.

https://charlottecheckers.com/articles/skyler-brind-amour-jo ins-checkers-on-pto

The Checkers are the Panthers farm team for some reason. Carolina ships players to Chicago ... also for some reason.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #821249 is a reply to message #821244 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 15:15

The Checkers are the Panthers farm team for some reason. Carolina ships players to Chicago ... also for some reason.

Wow.. did NOT know that.. bizarre.. thanks for info! icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #821252 is a reply to message #821249 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 17:49

Even more interesting, I learned the Chicago Wolves canceled the affiliation with the Hurricanes because they thought the Canes development philosophy changed. The Wolves want to develop by winning. So despite winning the Calder Cup last season the Wolves are out on Carolina.

I also learned there's something called the Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy for best regular season team. Which was Calgary this year.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #821260 is a reply to message #821252 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 17:06

Even more interesting, I learned the Chicago Wolves canceled the affiliation with the Hurricanes because they thought the Canes development philosophy changed. The Wolves want to develop by winning. So despite winning the Calder Cup last season the Wolves are out on Carolina.

I also learned there's something called the Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy for best regular season team. Which was Calgary this year.

Are you sure you meant Wolves/Hurricanes affiliation was cancelled? Checkers/Hurricanes?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #821267 is a reply to message #821260 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 19:48

Are you sure you meant Wolves/Hurricanes affiliation was cancelled? Checkers/Hurricanes?

100% The Wolves told Carolina they won't be renewing for next season.

Re: College Free Agents (2023) [message #821373 is a reply to message #821267 ]
Wed, 19 April 2023 22:13 Go to previous message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 19:26

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 19 April 2023 19:48

100% The Wolves told Carolina they won't be renewing for next season.

Oh for NEXT season.. so where is Carolina going to put their prospects?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:2022 / 2023 Condors
Next Topic:Oilers prospect Max Wanner Suspended by WHL
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca