This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819432]
Sat, 11 March 2023 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Toronto to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819444 is a reply to message #819432 ]
Sat, 11 March 2023 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Absolute trash game.. give aways galore. That second period was pathetic.
McLeod started it off with one of the worst give aways ever to Marner for an absolute highlight goal.

After just beating the juggernaut Boston, we fall to the leafs.
Goaltending and not deep enough D will hurt us in the playoffs.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819445 is a reply to message #819432 ]
Sat, 11 March 2023 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Up 3-1 then transitioned to enjoying the smell of our own farts. And just careless throwing crap away at the end. Teams we are chasing aren't missing a beat unfortunately. Looking more and more like widecard is the best we can hope for.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819446 is a reply to message #819445 ]
Sat, 11 March 2023 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 11 March 2023 19:53

Up 3-1 then transitioned to enjoying the smell of our own farts. And just careless throwing crap away at the end. Teams we are chasing aren't missing a beat unfortunately. Looking more and more like widecard is the best we can hope for.

...pretty much agreed... a bunch of this team isn't used to playing with a lead (71).

And not to beat a dead horse... why wasn't KOSTIN in this lineup?

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819447 is a reply to message #819446 ]
Sat, 11 March 2023 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

watchman wrote on Sat, 11 March 2023 20:14

...pretty much agreed... a bunch of this team isn't used to playing with a lead (71).

And not to beat a dead horse... why wasn't KOSTIN in this lineup?

Cant substantiate it with a link but I heard he is still having some issues from that previous undisclosed injury.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819457 is a reply to message #819445 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I blame HNIC and that stupid 1980s comparison. So unnecessary and totally forced a bunch of the comparisons.

Seriously, no one mistakes Evander Kane for Glenn Anderson. Nuge isn't exactly Messier either. And Nurse/Coffey??? Good lord.

Unfortunate game. Every mistake ended up in the net. The reffing was atrocious too which didn't help, but the team was sloppy and paid for it dearly. With this goaltending tandem, we just can't afford a lot of giveaways because we don't have the guy who'll make the ten bell save to keep us in it most nights.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819459 is a reply to message #819457 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 03:09

I blame HNIC and that stupid 1980s comparison. So unnecessary and totally forced a bunch of the comparisons.

Seriously, no one mistakes Evander Kane for Glenn Anderson. Nuge isn't exactly Messier either. And Nurse/Coffey??? Good lord.

That shoehorned segment gave me douche chills. HNIC should apologize to all Oiler fans. Wait. ALL hockey fans, for insulting their intelligence.

That’s the best they could come up with to fill some time? What a reach.

McLeod had always bugged me. More so today. His hockey grin doesn’t match who he is out there. Dudes a scared cat.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819466 is a reply to message #819459 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 07:29

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 03:09

That shoehorned segment gave me douche chills. HNIC should apologize to all Oiler fans. Wait. ALL hockey fans, for insulting their intelligence.

That’s the best they could come up with to fill some time? What a reach.

McLeod had always bugged me. More so today. His hockey grin doesn’t match who he is out there. Dudes a scared cat.

As much as it was a bad mistake to go up the middle (and a phenomenal play to take it out of the air and then make that move around Skinner), the defence has to carry some of the blame there. The Oilers, up 3-1, flew the zone, necessitating a long breakout pass from McLeod. I think he definitely takes a lot of responsibility on that one, but he's not the only one.

On the tying goal, we made another turnover to Marner again, and then Nurse got beaten by the little dig from Matthews on the fourth goal. It didn't help that Skinner wasn't bailing us out on any of the mistakes. The goals generally were good chances and there's none that I'd look at him as being a total goat on, but at the same time, he didn't step up and make any big saves really. Where the Leafs got a good chance, they buried them.

As CrusaderPi said, it probably would have been a good game to play Campbell...we let in 7 anyhow, so it's not like it would have gone much worse!

All that said, it's one game and they've been playing alright - so hopefully they can just move on from that. It's a big week for the team.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819449 is a reply to message #819432 ]
Sat, 11 March 2023 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

McLeod .. Dunce of the Game.
Not that bright at the best of times.

Time for Yamo to come out, Kostin in.. hasn't done much of anything lately.. like playing with half a man short.

[Updated on: Sat, 11 March 2023 23:13]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819456 is a reply to message #819449 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Offensively played good enough to win. It’s one loss. Move on and put this ugly thing behind d us

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819460 is a reply to message #819456 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

I just woke up and still can't get over that ridiculously bad play by McLeod. WTH man.

Marner put him and Skinner (because of Ryan's terrible decision) on a poster for the ages. Beautiful goal but just a horrrrrrrrrrible play. That play is up there with the Stefan empty net miss play for me.

So bad, and clearly stunned the guys on the bench that someone could be that lackadaisical with the puck.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819462 is a reply to message #819460 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 08:22

I just woke up and still can't get over that ridiculously bad play by McLeod. WTH man.

Marner put him and Skinner (because of Ryan's terrible decision) on a poster for the ages. Beautiful goal but just a horrrrrrrrrrible play. That play is up there with the Stefan empty net miss play for me.

So bad, and clearly stunned the guys on the bench that someone could be that lackadaisical with the puck.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of it. Three minutes of stupidity cost the Oil that game.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819463 is a reply to message #819462 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 12:17

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 08:22

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of it. Three minutes of stupidity cost the Oil that game.

Wasn't the end of it. But it was the catalyst that started the snowball rolling. We were two different teams before and after that play.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819465 is a reply to message #819432 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Sucked to see...but better for this avoidable implosion happen in the regular season opposed to the playoffs. Oilers as a team just looked totally rattled after that McLeod turnover.

Outcome really sucked but I'm not that discouraged...at least Judas Tavares didn't record a hat trick to rub it it everyone's faces

No more games east of the mountain time zone for rest of the regular season....

[Updated on: Sun, 12 March 2023 13:09]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819473 is a reply to message #819432 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Regarding the McLeod mistake, crap happens.

At the end of the day, its 1 GA. If it was a pattern, then it is concerning.

McLeod, the team, and the coaches should take a page out of Ted Lasso's book and be a goldfish.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819481 is a reply to message #819473 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 17:21

McLeod, the team, and the coaches should take a page out of Ted Lasso's book and be a goldfish.

I don’t think/hope McLeod repeats that mistake anytime soon as you say. But it was a hockey 101 mistake throwing the puck thru your own slot. Hopefully it’s wringing out the stupid plays before we get our act together to finish the season and go strong and smart(!) into the postseason.

Now my question is why isn’t Kostin playing in these types of games when we need a bit more bite to our game.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819482 is a reply to message #819481 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 22:32

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 17:21

I don’t think/hope McLeod repeats that mistake anytime soon as you say. But it was a hockey 101 mistake throwing the puck thru your own slot. Hopefully it’s wringing out the stupid plays before we get our act together to finish the season and go strong and smart(!) into the postseason.

Now my question is why isn’t Kostin playing in these types of games when we need a bit more bite to our game.

Good news is one of our highest paid vets soon after said "hold my beer" and did 3 crappy things to create goals against too. Hopefully mcLeod felt better after that

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819483 is a reply to message #819482 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 21:40

.. Good news is one of our highest paid vets soon after said "hold my beer" and did 3 crappy things to create goals against too...

That's what you call leading by example.. icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819474 is a reply to message #819432 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Tavares aims wicked slash at Desharnais's wrist
Hope its not broken.
Tavares got max fine of 5K.

If Desharnais did that to Tavares it would be an "intent to injure" and NHL Corp would have found some way to suspend him.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819478 is a reply to message #819474 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Unpopular opinion in Edmonton but I think it was pretty fair for Tavares to take a swing after eating 4 cross checks and the following can openers/hooking.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819479 is a reply to message #819478 ]
Sun, 12 March 2023 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 12 March 2023 21:19

Unpopular opinion in Edmonton but I think it was pretty fair for Tavares to take a swing after eating 4 cross checks and the following can openers/hooking.

Vinnie speared Tavares in the back of the leg to start the shenanigans. Not a vicious attempt to injure but an effyou nonetheless. Tavares' response was pretty veteran. He'll eat 5k and Vinnie won't poke him again.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819497 is a reply to message #819479 ]
Mon, 13 March 2023 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Despite being a pacifist at heart, I actually hope that the next time we play TO, Vinny 'subtly' and regularly hacks at Tavares' wrists - preferably after 'accidentally' tearing off his glove. There's a difference between delivering punishment (and responding accordingly) and intentionally targeting the least-protected and most-vulnerable part of a hockey player's body (other than the face, naturally). If Tavares had hacked Desharnais' thigh or shin, or smacked him upside the back of the head - fair enough. Hacking wrists, like slew-foots, is just dirty pool.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819501 is a reply to message #819497 ]
Mon, 13 March 2023 16:33 Go to previous message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Mon, 13 March 2023 13:51

Despite being a pacifist at heart, I actually hope that the next time we play TO, Vinny 'subtly' and regularly hacks at Tavares' wrists - preferably after 'accidentally' tearing off his glove. There's a difference between delivering punishment (and responding accordingly) and intentionally targeting the least-protected and most-vulnerable part of a hockey player's body (other than the face, naturally). If Tavares had hacked Desharnais' thigh or shin, or smacked him upside the back of the head - fair enough. Hacking wrists, like slew-foots, is just dirty pool.

Tavares is an older veteran whose job it is to rack up points and who deserves a bit more respect. Vinny is a rookie who just got taught a lesson. Vinny better be keeping his head up next game or he'll get Smid'd!!!

Old time hockey, Eddie Shore.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67) [message #819489 is a reply to message #819432 ]
Mon, 13 March 2023 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

ehhhh total abomination in the 2nd and the 3rd. Team didn't keep to the plan... why oh why do you insist to pass rink wide?? Pass - pick... pass... pick... goal.. so infuriating.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #68)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #67)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca