F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818927]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:35 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oilers trade for Nick Bjugstad.. for a 3rd.. confirmation coming..

Nick Bjugstad
Center
6' 6" 209 lb
Born: July 17, 1992
Birthplace: Minneapolis, MN, USA
Shoots: Right
Draft: 2010 FLA, 1st rd, 19th pk (19th overall)

https://www.vmcdn.ca/f/files/shared/feeds/cp/2022/10/20221029011020-635cb8b0ef5e05595a368197jpeg.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 02 March 2023 13:46]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers trade for Nick Bjugstad [message #818929 is a reply to message #818927 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

TSN 1260 is reporting that Ryan Rishaug have confirmed that Frank Serevelli has reported this to be true.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers trade for Nick Bjugstad [message #818930 is a reply to message #818929 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Everything is happening!

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers trade for Nick Bjugstad [message #818931 is a reply to message #818930 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I like Bjugstad a lot. He tough and cheap. Get him on a plane and into the lineup.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Oilers trade for Nick Bjugstad [message #818932 is a reply to message #818931 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Rishaugh staying 50% retained and it's for a 3rd rounder.

I like it.

Re: Oilers trade for Nick Bjugstad [message #818933 is a reply to message #818932 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

It’s strange having a GM that can see our deficiencies (inability to stop opposing team offense) and actually fix them at a time when everything else is ready to rock n roll.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers trade for Nick Bjugstad [message #818934 is a reply to message #818933 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 13:43

It’s strange having a GM that can see our deficiencies (inability to stop opposing team offense) and actually fix them at a time when everything else is ready to rock n roll.

Yeah, it's hard to complain about this deadline too much.

Pulju's time was done and he's gone
The Oilers needed some defensive D help and got it
The Oilers needed some forward toughness with some depth scoring upside and got it

It's a shame to lose Barrie on a decent contract but such is life. This team is a lot better than it was a week ago.

Apparently Kesselring was also sent to Phoenix.

Re: Oilers trade for Nick Bjugstad [message #818935 is a reply to message #818933 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Full trade.
Oilers: Bjugstad

Yotes: 3rd rounder, Kesselring + 50% retained.

I still like the trade.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818936 is a reply to message #818927 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oh crap.. just learned Kesselring is going to AZ.. fk.. now its a much higher price.. Kesselring was the top scoring AHL D-man .. and RHD..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818937 is a reply to message #818936 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 13:52

Oh crap.. just learned Kesselring is going to AZ.. fk.. now its a much higher price.. Kesselring was the top scoring AHL D-man .. and RHD..

If you listen to the Oilers AHL coach, Kesselring is doing well scoring but is a long ways away. Very raw talent.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818938 is a reply to message #818936 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 13:52

Agreed. This makes it an overpay.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818939 is a reply to message #818938 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

icon_lol

Oilers fans are hilarious at times. They want the team to go after the cup and bring in players that might help. They want them to do this because they are worried about the McD or Leon angle but now I see them moaning about losing an AHL dman who in the next 3 yrs if he makes it at all, won't help the Oilers what so ever.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818943 is a reply to message #818939 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 16:01

icon_lol

Oilers fans are hilarious at times. They want the team to go after the cup and bring in players that might help. They want them to do this because they are worried about the McD or Leon angle but now I see them moaning about losing an AHL dman who in the next 3 yrs if he makes it at all, won't help the Oilers what so ever.

You make a good point. It was fun seeing a late round pick become a player with at least a little value and some potential. To me it is most disappointing because I had a friend in high school named Mike Kesselring, and just thought it was funny that a guy with the exact same name was drafted by the Oilers and actually making some noise in the minors.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818944 is a reply to message #818939 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 13:01

icon_lol

Kesselring was probably the best D prospect down in Bako.. great skater, 6'-5" , RHD .. and scores at a high level.. it turns into a 3rd and a high value prospect for a rental.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818945 is a reply to message #818944 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 14:13

icon_lol

Kesselring was probably the best D prospect down in Bako.. great skater, 6'-5" , RHD .. and scores at a high level.. it turns into a 3rd and a high value prospect for a rental.

What do you base that opinion off of, because he has a bunch of goals? I listen to AHL coach come on the radio every week and he says he has a ways to go. He does talk glowingly about Kemp.

But even if what you say is true about Kesselring, if the window is now and the next few years before Leon and McD need new deals, does Kesselring help the Oilers now or in the next 2-3 yrs? Very doubtful.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818946 is a reply to message #818945 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 13:18

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 14:13

icon_lol

What do you base that opinion off of, because he has a bunch of goals? I listen to AHL coach come on the radio every week and he says he has a ways to go. He does talk glowingly about Kemp.

But even if what you say is true about Kesselring, if the window is now and the next few years before Leon and McD need new deals, does Kesselring help the Oilers now or in the next 2-3 yrs? Very doubtful.

Why do you think AZ wanted Kesselring instead of Kemp?
Have you ever seen Kesserling and Kemp skate? Not even close.
Fact remains its a lot to give up for a rental.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818951 is a reply to message #818939 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 14:01

icon_lol

Not moaning, just saying Kesselring seemed to have good potential. It is what it is, just an opinion - I’ve never thought much of Bjugstad.

Go ahead though, you do you.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818940 is a reply to message #818927 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Doesn't scrap much .. had one with Oleksiak .. who's a beast.. hung on for most of it ..
Maybe Killer Hopkins can teach Bjugstad how to scrap!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818942 is a reply to message #818940 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oilers got AHL Dman Cam Dineen back in the deal.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818941 is a reply to message #818927 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Very nice - worth solidifying depth for a couple of lottery tickets

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818947 is a reply to message #818927 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Let’s get the full deal clarified:

From Oilers twitter.

“The #Oilers have acquired forward Nick Bjugstad & defenceman Cam Dineen from the Arizona Coyotes in exchange for defenceman Michael Kesselring & a 2023 third-round pick. In addition, Arizona will retain 50% of Bjugstad's salary.”

Condors expert bcurlock doesn’t like this deal for giving up Kesslring. From the outside it looks like swapping one offensive RD in Kesselring for an offensive LD in Dineen.

But what really matters is that the Oilers today are a much better team than they were yesterday. I’d say the best on paper since 2006 now. We didn’t rob anybody at the deadline but I think this is the best we can hope for and I’m here for it.

Clean house or bust

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818948 is a reply to message #818947 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

From everything I read about Kesselring, he's a big, right shot dman that isn't physical at all. He's had a big goal scoring season but needs a lot of work on the defensive side.

Sounds like a project who's easily 2-3 yrs away min from maybe making it, if at all. I am going to guess the goal scoring is what has made people notice him. If you look up his stats from college and seasons before, he was never a big time scorer. Maybe he's just a late bloomer offensively or he could be a guy who for whatever reason, pucks just went in this year but probably won't continue.

Either way, like I said, he's not helping the Oilers anytime soon.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818949 is a reply to message #818948 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 13:58

From everything I read about Kesselring, he's a big, right shot dman that isn't physical at all. He's had a big goal scoring season but needs a lot of work on the defensive side.

Sounds like a project who's easily 2-3 yrs away min from maybe making it, if at all. I am going to guess the goal scoring is what has made people notice him. If you look up his stats from college and seasons before, he was never a big time scorer. Maybe he's just a late bloomer offensively or he could be a guy who for whatever reason, pucks just went in this year but probably won't continue.

Not true, Kesselring plays physical.

eg. https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n264099

Watched a game in Abbotsford last year, Kesselring was the best skater on the team.
I doubt Kemp makes the NHL based on skating.. which leaves us with no current RHD prospects.. closest is Max Wanner.. a distant bell

Hope Bjugstad is good, can't remember him being that noticeable over the years.. hope the pro-scouts are right.

Dineen is 5'-11" 188 lbs .. 24 .. LHD.. I think he's just a throw in to fill out the Bako roster.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 March 2023 16:23]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818976 is a reply to message #818949 ]
Fri, 03 March 2023 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 15:55

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 13:58

Not true, Kesselring plays physical.

eg. https://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n264099

Watched a game in Abbotsford last year, Kesselring was the best skater on the team.
I doubt Kemp makes the NHL based on skating.. which leaves us with no current RHD prospects.. closest is Max Wanner.. a distant bell

Hope Bjugstad is good, can't remember him being that noticeable over the years.. hope the pro-scouts are right.

Dineen is 5'-11" 188 lbs .. 24 .. LHD.. I think he's just a throw in to fill out the Bako roster.

I will take your word for it. I haven't seen him play, all I have to go on is scouting reports and I've seen some that say he's not overly physical and his former AHL coach says he has work to do on the defensively side.

I've seen lots of arm chair GM's, tons on twitter, calling this trade a loss because Kesselring was added. These are the same guys that were screaming for the Oilers to do something and go all in. Would Kesselring have on the team this year in the stretch ride? No.
Would he be even a call up for the playoffs. Very unlikely, not unless the Oilers got crushed injury wise.
Would he be on the team for the 23-24 season? Extremely unlikely. He'd probably be lucky to get a call up for a game or 2 if he was progressing well.
Would he be a full time NHLer for the 24-25 season? Very doubtful. Best case, maybe he gets a call up.

So what's the most likely best case scenario in 2-3 years from now for him? Maybe he is a #7 dman. I don't see a loss here.

[Updated on: Fri, 03 March 2023 08:17]

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818950 is a reply to message #818948 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Didn’t the Millenium Falcon fly the Kesselring in less than 12 parsecs? Can’t be that mighty if he can be outrun in less than 12 parsecs can he?

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818952 is a reply to message #818950 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 15:56

Didn’t the Millenium Falcon fly the Kesselring in less than 12 parsecs? Can’t be that mighty if he can be outrun in less than 12 parsecs can he?

Strong agree. This is the type of intangible that gets overlooked far too often. Makes the trade even better.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818953 is a reply to message #818927 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

I think we should all be mentally ready to see the Condors utterly gutted over the next couple years. I'm happy to finally see them push their chips in.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818954 is a reply to message #818927 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Dang, that's a nice add.

Think the big boys here should be happy about this deadline.

Now if Skinner can just get on a roll, and Ceci can get his brain working, we're pretty solid to go on a run.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818962 is a reply to message #818927 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Is he really any better than McLeod or Ryan? This feels like a do-nothing trade to satisfy the "ALL IN!!!!!!!!" crowd. May as well not even send anybody to the draft this year. Derek Brassard 2.0.

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818964 is a reply to message #818962 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Injuries happen. Puljujarvi needed a replacement. We still see Shore in the lineup frequently. There were plenty of reasons to do this.

Clean house or bust

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818965 is a reply to message #818962 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 20:32

Is he really any better than McLeod or Ryan? This feels like a do-nothing trade to satisfy the "ALL IN!!!!!!!!" crowd. May as well not even send anybody to the draft this year. Derek Brassard 2.0.

3rd this year is meaningless. We're talking about a lottery shot at maybe playing for the Oilers 5 years from now, which is long after McDavid and Draisaitl are gone if we don't win a Cup (and maybe even if we do).

Kesselring is maybe a bigger piece, but it's hard to say with any certainty. He's a young guy, and a 6th round pick who's out-performing his draft position, but again, he's miles away from an impactful role at the NHL level, so he's an acceptable loss. The fact is, the Oilers are selling high on him right now - something they rarely ever do. That's a positive in my books. They are getting a legit NHL forward in return.

Now, I'll temper things by saying that Bjugstad is not in any ways a world beater. He's five years and several injuries removed from his best days. He's more a middle-six than a top-six guy. He may not be better than McLeod, but that's fine. He's better than Shore or Jannmark, so it's a clear upgrade to bring him in. He has more points than any forwards other than 97, 29, 93 and 18.

I would still love to see a winger who can truly be a top performer here, and a high end goalie would be very welcome as well. I think Holland's done better than expected, solid B-grade for this trade deadline if he stops here. I also think he'll stop here. He lacks the creativity necessary to get anything else done. That's okay...it's a lot better than it could have been.

As for the draft this summer? Who cares. Draft picks are over-rated, and we should be hoping to hold the 32nd pick in each round anyhow.

Get the scouts working double time identifying the next Panarin or Guentzel. Over-age Europeans and College standouts are better anyhow, because they can possibly step right in to the NHL whereas a 20-something or worse pick in the first round is years away.

If I'm GM, I'd be willing to trade all the other picks too...plus Lavoie, Tullio, Bourgault, Holloway...whatever it takes to win a Cup this year or next.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #818991 is a reply to message #818927 ]
Fri, 03 March 2023 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kesselring getting called up to play his 1st NHL game tonight for AZ.. good for the kid. 👍🏻

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Nick Bjugstad, now an Oiler [message #819004 is a reply to message #818991 ]
Fri, 03 March 2023 19:30 Go to previous message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

So when is Nick playing for us?

Previous Topic:GDT: Winnipeg @ Edmonton (Game #63)
Next Topic:Review: Toronto @ Edmonton (Game #62)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca