Oilers » Ekholm tradePages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Ekholm trade [message #818767 is a reply to message #818765 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 17:35

NCREDiBLE wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 17:34

I agree it was great to sell high on Barrie.

Is that sell high value? Our 1st round pick from 2022, another 1st and we get 32 year old with 4x6M left.

I think barrie is just a toss in for the cap to work here. If a team was desperate for a PP QB, we should be getting a 1st for Barrie.

Oh well though, guess it is what it is. We need a competent defensive guy with Ceci not coming close to his last seasons play and Kulak struggling a lot. Hopefully Ekholm can create a stable pair with Bouch

Selling high for the Oilers is not having to give up a pick or getting more than a longshot Finnish prospect back. I agree with what you're saying.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818770 is a reply to message #818765 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 17:35

NCREDiBLE wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 17:34

I agree it was great to sell high on Barrie.

Is that sell high value? Our 1st round pick from 2022, another 1st and we get 32 year old with 4x6M left.

I think barrie is just a toss in for the cap to work here. If a team was desperate for a PP QB, we should be getting a 1st for Barrie.

Oh well though, guess it is what it is. We need a competent defensive guy with Ceci not coming close to his last seasons play and Kulak struggling a lot. Hopefully Ekholm can create a stable pair with Bouch

As far as a Holland trade goes, it ain’t bad. He could have done so much worse.

That said we are short a wing now. So he still has time to bleep this up.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818772 is a reply to message #818770 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Is the 1st top 10 protected? A McDavid injury could be one of those tail risk events that always seems to hit this club right when we think we're moving forward.

Like the deal, but just have this shred of, "oh no, Holland got arrogant and didn't think of this" lurking in my mind.

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818768 is a reply to message #818726 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

So I admit, I've never paid much attention to Ekholm. How good is he really? Point production has fallen a bit this season, and he is playing less time than any other season since 2016 (though still at nearly 22 per game right now). At 32 I worry if he drops off a cliff as early as next season.

That said, I see people saying a lot of good things on here. So is it just that he bring a shutdown factor? Or is he one of the best shutdown defenders in the league? I just want to like this trade as much as others here, but I liked Barrie a lot, so maybe is why I feel so disappointed.

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818769 is a reply to message #818768 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 17:38

So I admit, I've never paid much attention to Ekholm. How good is he really? Point production has fallen a bit this season, and he is playing less time than any other season since 2016 (though still at nearly 22 per game right now). At 32 I worry if he drops off a cliff as early as next season.

That said, I see people saying a lot of good things on here. So is it just that he bring a shutdown factor? Or is he one of the best shutdown defenders in the league? I just want to like this trade as much as others here, but I liked Barrie a lot, so maybe is why I feel so disappointed.

Looked at his stats a bit. He's been playing with Carrier who has abysmal results away from Ekholm. So he's basically been carrying a pretty weak D on his back this season. I think he's a passable guy moving the puck and plays a pretty reliable defensive game. Probably checks off the boxes Holland was looking for. We're probably panicking quite a bit about poor defensive play these days. Hopefully this does help.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818778 is a reply to message #818768 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 00:38

He’s a very good player but he does get injured inthink from time to time. I’m hoping he can stay healthy for us. If he can do that, he greatly improves this defense

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818787 is a reply to message #818778 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2023 22:35

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 00:38

He’s a very good player but he does get injured inthink from time to time. I’m hoping he can stay healthy for us. If he can do that, he greatly improves this defense

Missed 20 games over 9 seasons. That doesn't seem too bad to me.

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818771 is a reply to message #818726 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I really don't think we need to panic about the PP. Barrie can look flashy darting side to side, like an amazing flopping around Mike Smith save that other goalies would have made look boring, but the PP has been run 95% by 3 players for years now. The D just needs to exist for the most part and not make dumb plays. Even Nurse did fine there when needed

From @Woodguy55

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqF-XH5acAEA_ss?format=png&name=small

The PP success lives and dies by McDrai being on their game, and that's basically it. We had a terrible run of PP suck last year, but Barrie didn't help, and he was taken off for other guys hoping it would help for a while while we waited for McDrai to get it together again. The D rotation didn't help much, no one there really mattered, until the big 3 figured things out again.

If by some miracle Bouch can finally add a bomb shot to the PP that we haven't had forever, bonus. But all he really has to do is be able to pass to open guys on either side of him and take obvious shot opportunities. Nuge and McDrai handle the rest.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 February 2023 17:50]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818774 is a reply to message #818726 ]
Tue, 28 February 2023 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Losing Barrie causes me zero concern.
While he was better this year than last, defensively, that isn't saying much. He still was the cause of a LOT of chances against, even when his minutes are protected.
5 V 5 he didnt drive any offence or move the puck terribly well.

The key is the PP and I think that will be just fine as well for a number of reasons;
- his spot is called the QB but that PP didnt run through him at all. It runs through McDavid being a duel threat, Drai's ability to finish at a high rate and the net front/puck retrieval of Hyman.
- The main purpose of that spot, with the current strategy, is to be the between pass wen working the puck from one side to the other, waiting for the lane to open up for the seem pass. His lateral movement is good but it doesn't effect much given the quality of passing from the left and right board spots.
- Barrie is also good at getting the shot through when the PK tries to spread the top coverage wider to cut down the cross pass.

Bouchard (or even Nurse) can accomplish those things to a similar degree. I also think Bouchard has a better shot than Barrie so it could actually HELP the PP having another threat up there.
Worst case scenario you can move RNH back there and put Kane in the bumper spot. a 5 forward PP would be good times until the other team got the puck and broke out of the zone.

I like the trade overall as they swapped out a D for a D and should be improved in their own end.
Now to get the wing holes sorted out...

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818792 is a reply to message #818774 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Between Ekholm and Chychrun, I think for who else the Oilers have for dmen, Ekholm is the better fit. The Oilers need guys to help keep the puck out of the net. Eklhom is bigger, meaner, more physical, has more experience both in season and the playoffs, more durable and has a much better and longer track record of being a better defender than Chychurn. He plays on the PK a lot, has played a shut down role a ton over the years. Plus he moves the puck pretty well, maybe not quite as offensive as Chychurn but has some offense and moves decent. Plus he's DIFFERENT than what the Oilers have a ton of. He's a bit older than Chyrchrun but I think he brings way more of what the Oilers badly need.

I look at why Desharnais has come up and stood out so much. Sure he looks like a decent player but he does different things that most of the Oilers defense don't and quite frankly some lack. I think Chychurn would have been fine, he's a good player, maybe does a few things better than a few others but I see him having more of the same of what the Oilers have lots of. Losing Barrie is a loss in that he was great on the PP but the loss I think is more so in the room as he was tight was McD and Leon and seen as one of the key guys for the mood of the room. But at the same time, Eklhom is supposed to be a really good guy and maybe it's a little too chummy in that room. This is about winning hockey games, not hanging out with your buddies.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 March 2023 09:30]

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818966 is a reply to message #818792 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 09:28

Between Ekholm and Chychrun, I think for who else the Oilers have for dmen, Ekholm is the better fit. The Oilers need guys to help keep the puck out of the net. Eklhom is bigger, meaner, more physical, has more experience both in season and the playoffs, more durable and has a much better and longer track record of being a better defender than Chychurn. He plays on the PK a lot, has played a shut down role a ton over the years. Plus he moves the puck pretty well, maybe not quite as offensive as Chychurn but has some offense and moves decent. Plus he's DIFFERENT than what the Oilers have a ton of. He's a bit older than Chyrchrun but I think he brings way more of what the Oilers badly need.

I look at why Desharnais has come up and stood out so much. Sure he looks like a decent player but he does different things that most of the Oilers defense don't and quite frankly some lack. I think Chychurn would have been fine, he's a good player, maybe does a few things better than a few others but I see him having more of the same of what the Oilers have lots of. Losing Barrie is a loss in that he was great on the PP but the loss I think is more so in the room as he was tight was McD and Leon and seen as one of the key guys for the mood of the room. But at the same time, Eklhom is supposed to be a really good guy and maybe it's a little too chummy in that room. This is about winning hockey games, not hanging out with your buddies.

Ekholm is older, more expensive and more likely to be a boat anchor during this contract. I think Chychrun is better too.

That said, Ekholm was a little cheaper than what Chychrun went for, and I think the price on Chychrun probably dropped. I expect both Arizona and San Jose saw Holland coming, thought about how stupid he acted on Duncan Keith and just tried to take him to the cleaners. Fortunately, he didn't get too stupid this time. Ekholm is a decent pickup in the short-term, and really, the short-term is what matters.

It's nice to see the strategy blow up a little on these GMs too. Arizona didn't get Edmonton or LA to bite, and after we were out, then they were forced to take a lesser deal with Ottawa. For what it's worth, LA is nuts. Korpisalo isn't very good, and Gavrikov is way less of a player than either Ekholm or Chychrun...he's also Russian, so he's not going to get along with the head coach.

San Jose lost us as a trading partner, and I can't see how we can revisit even in the summer since all of our defencemen are on long-term deals (other than the best one of course). It's not going to be easy moving Karlsson, even with this great year, and to lose Holland, who was willing to part with a fortune for him? It's going to haunt Grier - his ultimate return isn't going to be great, I think.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818987 is a reply to message #818966 ]
Fri, 03 March 2023 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 March 2023 23:06

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 09:28

Ekholm is older, more expensive and more likely to be a boat anchor during this contract. I think Chychrun is better too.

Good for you. I suspect many in the know will disagree with you. But we shall find out.

Ekholm in my opinion checks off every box the Oilers need. He will be a mentor to both Bouchard and Broberg and an apparent leader in the room. I don't know about the room stuff but Chychrun wouldn't be a mentor to Bouchard and Broberg. Plus the Oilers have a guy that actually PLAYS on a regular basis vs a guy who misses significant time ever single season. I like guys that actually play most games vs a guy hanging out in the trainers room. But that's just me.

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818836 is a reply to message #818726 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

He's here.. icon_nod

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/163105609532532326 5?cxt=HHwWgoDQqZC41qItAAAA

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818838 is a reply to message #818836 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

If nothing else, this trade upped our beard game by approximately 500% That thing is glorious.

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818844 is a reply to message #818838 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 18:13

If nothing else, this trade upped our beard game by approximately 500% That thing is glorious.

Number 14 in our program, number 1 beard in our hearts.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818845 is a reply to message #818836 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 20:00

He's here.. icon_nod

https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/163105609532532326 5?cxt=HHwWgoDQqZC41qItAAAA

I always love seeing traded guys come in with a bag with their old teams logo on it. I dont know why, but it just feels like a funny/awkward thing, even though its probably pretty normal.

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818887 is a reply to message #818845 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

One game in… me likey very very much.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818888 is a reply to message #818887 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 21:12

Yup, fit in nicely, you like guys like that because there's no panic but at the same time a guy who minimizes the sleepy brain fart plays. Speaking of....Bouchard should probably study this guy while he's an Oiler, Bouchard might think about a big ol beard too.

Yes Chad, I think the kids call it, that's the look....in a good way.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/031/015/cover5.jpg

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818889 is a reply to message #818887 ]
Wed, 01 March 2023 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 01 March 2023 21:12

Yup, fit in nicely, you like guys like that because there's no panic but at the same time a guy who minimizes the sleepy brain fart plays. Speaking of....Bouchard should probably study this guy while he's an Oiler, Bouchard might think about a big ol beard too.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/031/015/cover5.jpg

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818897 is a reply to message #818889 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Holy crap thats identical.

Clean house or bust

Re: Ekholm trade [message #818924 is a reply to message #818726 ]
Thu, 02 March 2023 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://staticctf.akamaized.net/J3yJr34U2pZ2Ieem48Dwy9uqj5PNUQTn/6ZAlQrGYxXi8Bo8PuhJd5g/206c57ecb27e58b4555089c6c80d3db5/ACV_meta.png

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Ekholm trade [message #821005 is a reply to message #818726 ]
Mon, 17 April 2023 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Courtney Theriault @cspotweet
COINCIDENCE???

The #Oilers last hoisted the Stanley Cup on May 24, 1990.

Newly acquired d-man Mattias Ekholm was born on... May 24, 1990. #yeg

So that's why we got him!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Ekholm trade [message #821022 is a reply to message #821005 ]
Mon, 17 April 2023 16:24 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 17 April 2023 12:39

Courtney Theriault @cspotweet
COINCIDENCE???

The #Oilers last hoisted the Stanley Cup on May 24, 1990.

Newly acquired d-man Mattias Ekholm was born on... May 24, 1990. #yeg

So that's why we got him!

https://i.imgflip.com/7iifli.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Pre-series thread Kings (3) @ Oilers (2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca