This day on April 25
None

Happy Birthday To: Scott, kayla_foley

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817934]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Montreal to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817936 is a reply to message #817934 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

I'll be very polite, simply HORRIFIC

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817937 is a reply to message #817934 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Lol. What an abortion of a game that was from start to finish.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817938 is a reply to message #817934 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Can’t wait for the coaches denial and all the positivity that can be collected and learned from a loss.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817942 is a reply to message #817938 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 13:10

Can’t wait for the coaches denial and all the positivity that can be collected and learned from a loss.

To be fair, if I was in Woodcroft's shoes, I'm giving nothing but sugar in the media too. Why beat your team up there? You simply say that obviously this one didn't go the way we'd hoped. We maybe got a little sloppy out there, and will have to tighten up a bit next game. Best to put this in the rearview and just move on.

I don't think there's any benefit to saying anything else, and it doesn't necessarily reflect what was said in the room or tomorrow in the video room (and lots to review there!)

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817986 is a reply to message #817942 ]
Mon, 13 February 2023 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 14:13

g2k wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 13:10

To be fair, if I was in Woodcroft's shoes, I'm giving nothing but sugar in the media too. Why beat your team up there? You simply say that obviously this one didn't go the way we'd hoped. We maybe got a little sloppy out there, and will have to tighten up a bit next game. Best to put this in the rearview and just move on.

I don't think there's any benefit to saying anything else, and it doesn't necessarily reflect what was said in the room or tomorrow in the video room (and lots to review there!)

I'm not looking into the result too much though it was painful setting aside time to watch this tilt when I could've been much more productive running errands before the SB (which ended in a miserable ticky tacky ref ball way)

Not making excuses but here were my observations from yesterday:
1) Being on the 2nd half of a back to back is one thing

2) Being on the 2nd half of a back to back with both games being during the day is another
^A - Coaches literally have less time to prepare for the 2nd game with it being during the daytime opposed to the evening
B - Having to prepare for a day game on that 2nd half of the back to back with AHLers you don't have that much info on can be tough
C - Those aforementioned AHLers were playing with more desperation as they were playing for future spots in the NHL
D - In these scenarios as a coaching staff, all the brainpower was channeled into "getting that bird in hand" being the 1st half of the back to back against Ottawa

3) It seemed as if the Oilers were buzzing offensively in the first two periods...just couldn't capitalize on the best scoring chances. I attribute that to bad execution, odd bounces, and Jake Allen standing on his head

4) Defensively however, the Oilers were a mess against an unpredictable team/roster without a well defined scheme so see my point on 2-B above^^^^^^^

5) 5/8 points on this roadie right after the All Star break isn't bad....it would've been good to get 6/8 as that Philly game was a missed opportunity. Honestly, I was expecting 4/8 points with a loss at Detroit and dropping one of the back to backs this past weekend.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817940 is a reply to message #817934 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

About what you expect from a contender when they know they are a win away from first in their divison

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817941 is a reply to message #817934 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

What a truly brutal road trip. Sure, 2-1-1 and 5 out of a possible 8 points isn’t the end of the world, but aside from a few short bursts this team looked like they are still in vacay mode. Drai the poster boi of lazy lately.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817944 is a reply to message #817941 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 13:12

What a truly brutal road trip. Sure, 2-1-1 and 5 out of a possible 8 points isn’t the end of the world, but aside from a few short bursts this team looked like they are still in vacay mode. Drai the poster boi of lazy lately.

Yeah he's been a few notches lower for a bit now.

L1 went -3 today. That's not very good.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817946 is a reply to message #817934 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

To say the Oil defense was exposed would be an under-statement. It is difficult to believe our playoff hopes are based on these guys will be able to defend the best teams in the league.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817950 is a reply to message #817946 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

oiltec wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 13:43

To say the Oil defense was exposed would be an under-statement. It is difficult to believe our playoff hopes are based on these guys will be able to defend the best teams in the league.

Yes aside from successfully blowing up our D with trades I don't think we make it out of the first round. We are just too shakey in our end from the net out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817952 is a reply to message #817950 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

cosmicheretic wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 21:23

oiltec wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 13:43

Yes aside from successfully blowing up our D with trades I don't think we make it out of the first round. We are just too shakey in our end from the net out.

I hear you, and yet I want the brain-trust to trade for some serious defenders, but at the same time I am afraid even if we do that won't be enough to make a significant difference this year. Not to mention the fact we simply don't have the assets (and the cap room) to go after the best available options that may be on the trade market.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817954 is a reply to message #817952 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Well

When Erik Karlsson gets here it will be different

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817959 is a reply to message #817934 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

I can't believe the Chicken Little's are coming out after the first regulation loss in 12 games.

Just calm down.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817964 is a reply to message #817959 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 17:22

I can't believe the Chicken Little's are coming out after the first regulation loss in 12 games.

Just calm down.

Well, it was a 4-goal loss to the 4th-worst team in the league, so there might room for a little concern here.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817965 is a reply to message #817964 ]
Sun, 12 February 2023 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Sun, 12 February 2023 18:56

Just calm down.

Well, it was a 4-goal loss to the 4th-worst team in the league, so there might room for a little concern here.

Maybe team thinking the same. We can just take a day off because we have feasted on bottom feeders for a few weeks. No one will mind, and if they do, they are just whiners.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817970 is a reply to message #817959 ]
Mon, 13 February 2023 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Just calm down.

No kidding!!

They have been one of the best teams in the league since just before Christmas. It was their 4th game in 6 nights while on this road trip. So they looked completely out of gas. Did I expect a better result yesterday afternoon? Of course I did. But all is not lost.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817973 is a reply to message #817970 ]
Mon, 13 February 2023 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 13 February 2023 08:24

Just calm down.

No kidding!!

They have been one of the best teams in the league since just before Christmas. It was their 4th game in 6 nights while on this road trip. So they looked completely out of gas. Did I expect a better result yesterday afternoon? Of course I did. But all is not lost.

The chicken littles have always been here pointing out the schedule, obvious outstanding issues that will limit the team, and desperately trying to find solutions.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817974 is a reply to message #817973 ]
Mon, 13 February 2023 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 13 February 2023 08:40

Just calm down.

No kidding!!

The chicken littles have always been here pointing out the schedule, obvious outstanding issues that will limit the team, and desperately trying to find solutions.

The team just embodied Leon yesterday. That’s all there is to it.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817980 is a reply to message #817974 ]
Mon, 13 February 2023 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 13 February 2023 08:43

Just calm down.

No kidding!!

The team just embodied Leon yesterday. That’s all there is to it.

While he may be dealing with some nagging injury, I think we're also going to do this thing every time Draisaitl is not scoring at world-beating rates where we over-analyze him. He's never going to look like he's flying around out there, and part of his game is phenomenal passes - but there are always going to be some that get picked off. He's exactly the kind of player that Edmonton Oilers fans always (wrongly) accuse of being lazy. We do love the guys that just churn their feet endlessly, even if they get nothing done.

The team has been playing him a lot with Derek Ryan lately, so he hasn't had the best set-up to succeed in some of these games.

He's definitely levelled off though - I have him in a keeper pool and it's noticeable how much less he's scoring there. Fortunately the team's depth has really picked it up lately, which has taken a level of the pressure off. Unfortunately for me, my keeper pools depth guys haven't picked up the slack, so I really hope Leon takes off again soon. I had been hoping he wouldn't get to the All-Star game...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #817979 is a reply to message #817973 ]
Mon, 13 February 2023 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just calm down.

No kidding!!

The interesting thing is that I don't think those that some touchy posters call out as Chicken Littles regarding the management issues in Edmonton WERE up in arms yesterday.

I mean, it's going to happen every so often that you lay an egg. Yesterday was an ugly game, and the team played terribly. We lost to half a farm team, a whole bunch of nobodies. Some feel-good story 31 year old scored his first (and quite possibly only) NHL goal against us. Yuck.

But I don't really expect that to derail the team, and I think we're likely to continue looking pretty good as we head through the rest of the month barnstorming other mediocre clubs. We have a really nice section of the schedule still where we get to play only also-rans whose coaches and management would all prefer them to lose more. We just won't be able to say we took points in all the games. Oh well. As I said on Woody's comments - this is one where you do a bunch of video work and then forget about and move on.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #818002 is a reply to message #817979 ]
Mon, 13 February 2023 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 13 February 2023 16:37

Just calm down.

No kidding!!

The interesting thing is that I don't think those that some touchy posters call out as Chicken Littles regarding the management issues in Edmonton WERE up in arms yesterday.

I mean, it's going to happen every so often that you lay an egg. Yesterday was an ugly game, and the team played terribly. We lost to half a farm team, a whole bunch of nobodies. Some feel-good story 31 year old scored his first (and quite possibly only) NHL goal against us. Yuck.

But I don't really expect that to derail the team, and I think we're likely to continue looking pretty good as we head through the rest of the month barnstorming other mediocre clubs. We have a really nice section of the schedule still where we get to play only also-rans whose coaches and management would all prefer them to lose more. We just won't be able to say we took points in all the games. Oh well. As I said on Woody's comments - this is one where you do a bunch of video work and then forget about and move on.

Well said. Chalk it up to a bad loss. Montreal always plays us tough no matter how much they suck

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54) [message #818057 is a reply to message #818002 ]
Tue, 14 February 2023 20:25 Go to previous message

1 Cup

I think going forward Campbell needs the majority of the starts. He’s been hot. Skinner not so much

Previous Topic:Shore Signs Two Year Extension
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Montreal (Game #54)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca