This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817813]
Thu, 09 February 2023 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT) (SO)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Philadelphia to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817818 is a reply to message #817813 ]
Thu, 09 February 2023 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Thank Skinner for the point. Oilers didn't look like much tonight.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817819 is a reply to message #817813 ]
Thu, 09 February 2023 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

What a terrible game.

Draisaitl and McDavid with a perfect end to their total non-factor games. Drai in particular... two games in a row that he's been brutal.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817820 is a reply to message #817819 ]
Thu, 09 February 2023 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

SKINNER deserved a better fate... icon_frown

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817821 is a reply to message #817820 ]
Thu, 09 February 2023 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

He sure did.

Draisaitl is POing me right now, and has been for a while.

He's just not playing well.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817822 is a reply to message #817820 ]
Thu, 09 February 2023 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

watchman wrote on Thu, 09 February 2023 19:45

SKINNER deserved a better fate... icon_frown

That was basically every Skinner game. This team just doesn't like to play well in front of him. Maybe it's his fault? He creates mustache envy?

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817825 is a reply to message #817822 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

At this stage I'm wondering if Drai is carrying an injury. If that's the case, then go get it dealt with and be back healthy in time for the playoffs.

Just seems disinterested and lazy right now, and is a turnover machine (even moreso than normal)
Really boring game to watch, but credit to Philly - they had a game plan & they stuck with it, and we played right into their hands by continually trying to force plays.

Oh well, take the point and move on. At least we didn't lose to Detroit.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817828 is a reply to message #817825 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 05:34

At this stage I'm wondering if Drai is carrying an injury. If that's the case, then go get it dealt with and be back healthy in time for the playoffs.

Just seems disinterested and lazy right now, and is a turnover machine (even moreso than normal)
Really boring game to watch, but credit to Philly - they had a game plan & they stuck with it, and we played right into their hands by continually trying to force plays.

Oh well, take the point and move on. At least we didn't lose to Detroit.

Drai is not injured. If he was injured, no way would he have gone to the all star game. No chance at all. Players look for outs to not go any chance they get, no chance he would go is he was at all nicked up.

Pretty simple, he's had a few bad games. I dealt with this last night with my brother as he bombarded me with texts going off on why the Oilers suck because they had an off game against Philly. The Flyers aren't a great team but they play hard and have a good goalie but the Oilers didn't play well. Since Dec 21, the Oilers have played 19 games. They have won 13 games, lost 3 in regulation and 3 in OT/So. So out of 38 possible points, they have secured 29 pts. That's pretty darn good. There is 82 games in a season, a player or a team is not going to play 82 amazing games.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817829 is a reply to message #817828 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Does anyone know if there has been an explanation for the goalie interference?

Foegele made contract with the goalie. No doubt. Did it impact his ability to make the save? Maybe. Hart was sliding to the one side following Foegele across when Hyman slammed it into the opposite side. So without contact, Hart would have had to stop his momentum, the slide back across in a split second. Could he had done it? No clue. Did the contact make it so the rebound control wasn't that great? No clue but he would have given up a rebound regardless. But there was contact no doubt.

My question is and maybe the league explains it which I doubt, what should Foegele have done to make that goal count? Foegele was driving hard to the goal, defender near him, he was trying to slam the puck in. Hart slides across on purpose and slides into Foegele on purpose to stop the shot but also make it so Foegele couldn't get it up. So Hart helped create the contact. So how does Foegele avoid that? As Hart slams himself into Foegele, are they expecting Foegele to either not drive the net and try not to score, float or try to leap over Hart or backwards?

I hate calls like that because there appears to be nothing Foegele can do to avoid contact so you just resound yourself to loving a goal just because.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817830 is a reply to message #817829 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

I didn't think it was a goal. You can't just crash into the goalie. Foegele had a free lane in from the blue line and just took the goalie out.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817831 is a reply to message #817830 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

The birth of my daughter didn’t help. Dammit lol

Kane got a point and skinner was amazing!

Here’s my little girl
https://i.postimg.cc/FKDPLM22/A97468-C5-80-AA-4-DDF-9141-77-D498582-D72.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817840 is a reply to message #817831 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Congrats! clapping

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817846 is a reply to message #817831 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 10:47

The birth of my daughter didn’t help. Dammit lol

Kane got a point and skinner was amazing!

Here’s my little girl
https://i.postimg.cc/FKDPLM22/A97468-C5-80-AA-4-DDF-9141-77-D498582-D72.jpg

Looks like a BEAUT! Big congrats!

With regards to the game..well...didn't miss out on much.

We can complain all we want about the Hyman disallowed goal which was bologna....

....but the Oilers basically didn't start skating until the 3rd period which didn't help matters.

Tons of reaching out with their sticks in the 1st two periods in hopes of generating odd man rushes which was quite underwhelming.

I expected Detroit to be a "trap game" right after the ASG which it really was only to end up with 2 points in that one. Oilers continued their bad habits into this game yet came out unlucky though fortunate enough to get 1.

Would've been nice to get 2 last night because I'm outright expecting a split in a back to back against Ottawa & Montreal this wknd....

[Updated on: Fri, 10 February 2023 15:08]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817847 is a reply to message #817830 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 09:27

I didn't think it was a goal. You can't just crash into the goalie. Foegele had a free lane in from the blue line and just took the goalie out.

As I said in the other thread though - why not just force the refs to make the call in real-time? I tend to agree that any time you let the refs look at it in super slow motion, they're going to see that there was some contact, and any contact that isn't grabbing a goal pad and pulling it out of the way is going to be likely enough to wipe out a goal. But it's hard to say how much Foegele impacted Hart and how much was Hart's momentum from the save he just made, and if the contact was so incidental that the ref called a good goal to begin with, then how is it better for the league to pull the goals off the board.

I am curious how many goals get taken off the board for goalie interference in a season? How many for off-side? It does not go the opposite way, because if a ref blows a play down for goalie interference and gets it wrong, then the play is dead - you can't add a goal. Same for off-sides. Is it 30 goals a year the NHL throws out for these? Is the game better for it? I'd argue not (clearly, since I've made the argument forcefully a few times now).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817848 is a reply to message #817847 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 15:36

As I said in the other thread though - why not just force the refs to make the call in real-time? I tend to agree that any time you let the refs look at it in super slow motion, they're going to see that there was some contact, and any contact that isn't grabbing a goal pad and pulling it out of the way is going to be likely enough to wipe out a goal. But it's hard to say how much Foegele impacted Hart and how much was Hart's momentum from the save he just made, and if the contact was so incidental that the ref called a good goal to begin with, then how is it better for the league to pull the goals off the board.

I am curious how many goals get taken off the board for goalie interference in a season? How many for off-side? It does not go the opposite way, because if a ref blows a play down for goalie interference and gets it wrong, then the play is dead - you can't add a goal. Same for off-sides. Is it 30 goals a year the NHL throws out for these? Is the game better for it? I'd argue not (clearly, since I've made the argument forcefully a few times now).

I think the compromise is to allow replay review but it can only be watched at full speed. If you can't see an offside without zooming in on a frozen frame, I don't care about it. Same for goalies. I thought that wasn't a goal live because he had a free lane to the 'tender and ran him. The full speed replay, in my opinion, made it obvious that he skated in from the blue line like we was running a wrestling ring.

No one forces the refs to make real call time because leagues and authorities are so afraid of the screaming meanies who complain about calls against their team. Refs either don't speak or aren't allowed to speak and the league certainly never says "that was the call, we stand behind it. Shut up". We get endless patronizing ramblings about the importance of getting every call right no matter what. Which is fine (but boring) for black and white calls like offside and puck over glass but impossible for grey area calls like goaltender interference or catching a touchdown pass.

Basically, we created a pretentious system that was custom designed to fail. Yes, we. Not they, we.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52) [message #817849 is a reply to message #817848 ]
Fri, 10 February 2023 16:35 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 15:59

Adam wrote on Fri, 10 February 2023 15:36

I think the compromise is to allow replay review but it can only be watched at full speed. If you can't see an offside without zooming in on a frozen frame, I don't care about it. Same for goalies. I thought that wasn't a goal live because he had a free lane to the 'tender and ran him. The full speed replay, in my opinion, made it obvious that he skated in from the blue line like we was running a wrestling ring.

No one forces the refs to make real call time because leagues and authorities are so afraid of the screaming meanies who complain about calls against their team. Refs either don't speak or aren't allowed to speak and the league certainly never says "that was the call, we stand behind it. Shut up". We get endless patronizing ramblings about the importance of getting every call right no matter what. Which is fine (but boring) for black and white calls like offside and puck over glass but impossible for grey area calls like goaltender interference or catching a touchdown pass.

Basically, we created a pretentious system that was custom designed to fail. Yes, we. Not they, we.

A friend of mine suggested that they need the replays, because otherwise refs could be crooked. I think it's actually easier for a ref to be crooked if they get to decide these things in slow motion and come up with a rationale for why they're making a call. If you're a ref paid to fix a game, you just can't rely on the team you're working to make win to score a goal that may have been off-side.

Especially when you can just do your best to fix it by selectively calling or not calling penalties - which no one would find weird or inconsistent at all.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #53)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Philadelphia (Game #52)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca