This day on April 23
None

Happy Birthday To: Ramone, Giant Moo, mogal, booyaka!, Blue Thunder, BDR1

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » ...Shooting Mentality (TM: Louie dB)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 ...Shooting Mentality (TM: Louie dB) [message #817587]
Sat, 04 February 2023 17:09 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Here's an article I thought was interesting about improving shot effectiveness..
https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /how-jesse-puljujarvi-can-make-an-extra-30-million-in-his-ho ckey-career

I always wondered why some NHL'rs with poor shots (some Oil players specifically) never seem to be able to improve their shot year to year .. the point that interested me in this article is that it describes a logical process/formula on making a shot more effective at beating a goalie.. a lot of rational points made.. its possible to improve.. and you'd think if you were a pro hockey player its something you'd be doing everyday in the off-season.. and at least show some improvement year to year during your career, but so many never do.. always thought that was bizarre.

How do so many shots from some players always hit the goalie in the chest, time after time? Do they even work on it in the off-season ? This article is partially in regards to JP, but it describes way too many other Oilers, past and present.

The other thing I got from this article is it even works for beer leaguers .. will be trying this at next stick & puck .. 50 pucks a day! .. my hope is to hear that customary "thud" as I hit the goalie in the middle of the logo, maybe a little less often :)

[Updated on: Sat, 04 February 2023 17:27]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: ...Shooting Mentality (TM: Louie dB) [message #817589 is a reply to message #817587 ]
Sun, 05 February 2023 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Beats the thud of it hitting the back boards. I think alot of NHLers focus on getting it on goal first especially the less skilled. They know they aren't going to snipe one top shelf. Best to get it on goal and let chaos ensue. You don't get alot of time with puck on your stick if your not elite enough to make that extra space.

[Updated on: Sun, 05 February 2023 01:09]

Re: ...Shooting Mentality (TM: Louie dB) [message #817597 is a reply to message #817589 ]
Sun, 05 February 2023 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 05 February 2023 00:06

Beats the thud of it hitting the back boards. I think alot of NHLers focus on getting it on goal first especially the less skilled. They know they aren't going to snipe one top shelf. Best to get it on goal and let chaos ensue. You don't get alot of time with puck on your stick if your not elite enough to make that extra space.

JMO, but I just can't imagine an NHL level player not being able to shoot somewhere else other than dead center of the net, or at least progress towards shooting in the vicinity of empty net space on a regular basis.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: ...Shooting Mentality (TM: Louie dB) [message #817634 is a reply to message #817597 ]
Mon, 06 February 2023 18:54 Go to previous message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

way back...yes I am old, Joe Sakic bought his houses without finished basements so he could practice stick handling down there. The greats always work to improve.

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Detroit (Game #51)
Next Topic:Oilers draft Connor McDavid 1st overall
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca