This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » 2022-23 Trade Speculation ThreadPages (12): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817218 is a reply to message #817217 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 12:48

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 12:41

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 12:31

Adam wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 12:03

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 10:51

Goose wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 10:48

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 07:14

So let's say they go out and trade for Chychrun and it costs you Broberg. Then as you said, Nurse gets hurt, your left side would be:
Chychrun, Kulak Niemo/Murray. That's worse than last years where Nurse as maybe 60% if you were lucky.

But it's better than than Kulak, Edmundson, Broberg. Chychrun is currently playing over 23 min a night in Arizona. He can handle bigger minutes in the playoffs if Nurse gets hurt.

The main point though is that the Oilers defence is currently not good enough. Edmundson or Gavrikov don't change that. There are no guarantees of course, but Chychrun just might. And he's signed for 2 more years at $4.6M. That's a great contract and fits into the Oilers window (Drai also has 2 more years on his deal).

I am not debating the defense needs to improve. I just don't think blowing your whole wad asset wise is a great idea for Chychrun, a guy who every year misses significant time and who in my opinion doesn't check all the boxes they need and who his calling card is things the Oilers already have lots of.

No one is advocating "blowing your whole wad asset wise". No one is suggesting that Holland should be sending anyone a blank cheque, and in fact, most of the criticism is that he tends not to be a good enough negotiator and surrenders more than he should in trades.

I think the argument is that A) the team has a very limited window now to compete for a Stanley Cup with the superstars we have. B) The team isn't currently good enough, and the future after the McDavid/Draisaitl window is really not important. C) There's no one that should be untouchable after those guys IF IT IMPROVES THE TEAM. D) A guy like Edmundson or Gavrikov doesn't move the needle and isn't going to make the team a contender or likely make us able to beat Colorado, Boston, Tampa, Toronto or any of the other real contenders.

Maybe you have differing opinions on what blowing the wad is but I would say giving up the 2023 first considering this draft is supposedly a very deep and very good draft AND giving up Broberg who's already an NHL dman and looks to be a legit at min second pairing guy in the extremely near future, all to bring in Chychrun who's a good second pairing dman, I would consider blowing the wad.

Broberg's played 22 games this year, 23 last year, and 3 minutes in the playoffs. I know he's looked good for the last 2 weeks, but let's not pretend he's anything but a raw rookie playing a tough position. Assuming these kids are going to either continue their play or simply get better as they age fast enough to win a cup is exactly what got the Oilers mired in slightly above average mediocrity in the first place. Broberg might turn into a key piece on a Stanley Cup team in the next three years, but he might not. It would certainly be foolish to count on him for anything but rookie minutes this playoffs.

Fun schedule this year:

Between now and Feb 25th the Oilers play 3 playoff teams (NYR, Col, Pit) then we get to watch:
Feb 27 vs Boston
Mar 1 vs Toronto
Mar 3 vs Winnipeg <deadline day>
Mar 4 @ Winnipeg
Mar 6 @ Buffalo
Mar 9 @ Boston
March 11 @ Toronto

The Oilers might very well talk themselves into being something they're not during marshmallow soft time and hit a wall at the deadline when it's too late to do anything.

If I am going to trade Broberg, I want a guy like Ekholm. A guy who skates decent, can move the puck a little, can score some points but most importantly is big, mean, physical, defends very well, plays on the PK a lot and has done that for many years. He also has playoff experience. You put him on the second pair and you know you get 20 mins of good hockey every night.

I know Chychrun is the shiny toy but he has a bad injury history, does not play on the PK and I am sorry, he is not a great defender. That isn't is calling card.

Sure, I'd take Ekholm (assuming he can still play, I haven't watched much Nashville this year). He might be a little old by the end of his contract, but he should be good for the next little while.

I'm glad we've got an agreement. Trade for Ekholm. Adam, you in?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817219 is a reply to message #817218 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 12:57

So let's say they go out and trade for Chychrun and it costs you Broberg. Then as you said, Nurse gets hurt, your left side would be:
Chychrun, Kulak Niemo/Murray. That's worse than last years where Nurse as maybe 60% if you were lucky.

But it's better than than Kulak, Edmundson, Broberg. Chychrun is currently playing over 23 min a night in Arizona. He can handle bigger minutes in the playoffs if Nurse gets hurt.

The main point though is that the Oilers defence is currently not good enough. Edmundson or Gavrikov don't change that. There are no guarantees of course, but Chychrun just might. And he's signed for 2 more years at $4.6M. That's a great contract and fits into the Oilers window (Drai also has 2 more years on his deal).

I am not debating the defense needs to improve. I just don't think blowing your whole wad asset wise is a great idea for Chychrun, a guy who every year misses significant time and who in my opinion doesn't check all the boxes they need and who his calling card is things the Oilers already have lots of.

No one is advocating "blowing your whole wad asset wise". No one is suggesting that Holland should be sending anyone a blank cheque, and in fact, most of the criticism is that he tends not to be a good enough negotiator and surrenders more than he should in trades.

I think the argument is that A) the team has a very limited window now to compete for a Stanley Cup with the superstars we have. B) The team isn't currently good enough, and the future after the McDavid/Draisaitl window is really not important. C) There's no one that should be untouchable after those guys IF IT IMPROVES THE TEAM. D) A guy like Edmundson or Gavrikov doesn't move the needle and isn't going to make the team a contender or likely make us able to beat Colorado, Boston, Tampa, Toronto or any of the other real contenders.

Maybe you have differing opinions on what blowing the wad is but I would say giving up the 2023 first considering this draft is supposedly a very deep and very good draft AND giving up Broberg who's already an NHL dman and looks to be a legit at min second pairing guy in the extremely near future, all to bring in Chychrun who's a good second pairing dman, I would consider blowing the wad.

Broberg's played 22 games this year, 23 last year, and 3 minutes in the playoffs. I know he's looked good for the last 2 weeks, but let's not pretend he's anything but a raw rookie playing a tough position. Assuming these kids are going to either continue their play or simply get better as they age fast enough to win a cup is exactly what got the Oilers mired in slightly above average mediocrity in the first place. Broberg might turn into a key piece on a Stanley Cup team in the next three years, but he might not. It would certainly be foolish to count on him for anything but rookie minutes this playoffs.

Fun schedule this year:

Between now and Feb 25th the Oilers play 3 playoff teams (NYR, Col, Pit) then we get to watch:
Feb 27 vs Boston
Mar 1 vs Toronto
Mar 4 @ Winnipeg
Mar 6 @ Buffalo
Mar 9 @ Boston
March 11 @ Toronto

The Oilers might very well talk themselves into being something they're not during marshmallow soft time and hit a wall at the deadline when it's too late to do anything.

If I am going to trade Broberg, I want a guy like Ekholm. A guy who skates decent, can move the puck a little, can score some points but most importantly is big, mean, physical, defends very well, plays on the PK a lot and has done that for many years. He also has playoff experience. You put him on the second pair and you know you get 20 mins of good hockey every night.

I know Chychrun is the shiny toy but he has a bad injury history, does not play on the PK and I am sorry, he is not a great defender. That isn't is calling card.

Sure, I'd take Ekholm (assuming he can still play, I haven't watched much Nashville this year). He might be a little old by the end of his contract, but he should be good for the next little while.

Chychrun doesn't play on the PK for the Yotes. He's supposed to be their best dman who doesn't play PK. That's a red flag to me about his defensive game because typically that's unheard of. So I am not giving up the assets for him when the team he plays for doesn't think it's a good idea to give him PK time. That's a major box the Oilers need checked and he doesn't do that.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817220 is a reply to message #817219 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Preds need to think about retooling. Their window is long gone. They also lack scoring talent.

JP
Yamo
1st
Kulak

8.85 mill

For
Ekholm
Jeannott.

7.55 mill.

I think the 24 goals Jeannott scored is a one off. Probably more of a 3rd line what has physical play and kills penalties. He needs a new deal.

Preds get some cost certainty with Kulak. He's still a vet but younger than Ekholm who's 32. They also have Josi 32, and McDonagh 33. They get cost certainty for 1 more year and the potential of a top 6 forward in Yamo. It could be a homerun with JP is he find his if he finds his game. You could sign him for way less than 3 mill and probably less than what Jeannott might want. He'd be in a market where he could disappear.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 January 2023 13:45]

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817223 is a reply to message #817219 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 13:00

Fun schedule this year:

Feb 27 vs Boston
Mar 1 vs Toronto
Mar 4 @ Winnipeg
Mar 6 @ Buffalo
Mar 9 @ Boston
March 11 @ Toronto

Chychrun doesn't play on the PK for the Yotes. He's supposed to be their best dman who doesn't play PK. That's a red flag to me about his defensive game because typically that's unheard of. So I am not giving up the assets for him when the team he plays for doesn't think it's a good idea to give him PK time. That's a major box the Oilers need checked and he doesn't do that.

This sounds like a point Jim Matheson would make.

Chychrun plays huge minutes at even strength and gets a bunch of PP time. He's already at 23 minutes a night, so maybe they're smart to limit him on PK too? I'm not sure your best players always need to be penalty killers...and in some cases it might just put them more at risk of injury.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817224 is a reply to message #817223 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 14:21

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 13:00

Fun schedule this year:

Feb 27 vs Boston
Mar 1 vs Toronto
Mar 4 @ Winnipeg
Mar 6 @ Buffalo
Mar 9 @ Boston
March 11 @ Toronto

This sounds like a point Jim Matheson would make.

Chychrun plays huge minutes at even strength and gets a bunch of PP time. He's already at 23 minutes a night, so maybe they're smart to limit him on PK too? I'm not sure your best players always need to be penalty killers...and in some cases it might just put them more at risk of injury.

Find me a team where the supposed best dmen on the team doesn't play on the PK? I'm having a hard time finding one.

Avs - Makar plays over 27 mins a night so a TON. Over 4 mins of Pp time and almost 3 mins PK time. Toews players of 25 mins a night. So again a ton. Just under 2 mins PP time and over 3 mins PK time.

Go to the other Cup finals team. Tampa
Hedman over 24 mins a night, Plays over 2 mins PK and almost 3 mins PP
Sergachev just barely under 24 mins. Same over 2 mins PK, just under 2 PP.

Boston McAvoy over 22 mins. Gets over 2 mins PP and PK. Lindholm. Just over 23 mins, gets over 2 mins on each team.

Carolina, same. All their top guys, Burns, Slavin, Pesce. All play lots, all get PK and PP time. Slavin the only guy that doesn't get PP time but he gets more PK.

So if he's so great defensive, why is he not on the PK? I couldn't find a season where he played any kind of significant time. It doesn't add up to me.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817227 is a reply to message #817224 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 13:35

Find me a team where the supposed best dmen on the team doesn't play on the PK? I'm having a hard time finding one.

Avs - Makar plays over 27 mins a night so a TON. Over 4 mins of Pp time and almost 3 mins PK time. Toews players of 25 mins a night. So again a ton. Just under 2 mins PP time and over 3 mins PK time.

Boston McAvoy over 22 mins. Gets over 2 mins PP and PK. Lindholm. Just over 23 mins, gets over 2 mins on each team.

Carolina, same. All their top guys, Burns, Slavin, Pesce. All play lots, all get PK and PP time. Slavin the only guy that doesn't get PP time but he gets more PK.

So if he's so great defensive, why is he not on the PK? I couldn't find a season where he played any kind of significant time. It doesn't add up to me.

I mean, there's a bunch:

Josi - over 25min a night (most on the team), less than 1 min on the PK
Dougie Hamilton in NJ - 22+min (most on the team), 0:17/game on the PK
Dobson - 21+min (most on the team), 0:35/game on the PK
Chabot in Ott - 25min+/game (most on the team), 0:14 on the PK
Letang - 24+min/game (most on the team), 0:51 on the PK
Karlsson - 25+min/game (most on the team), 0:13 on the PK

Vince Dunn in SEA, Shea Theodore in Vegas, Josh Morrissey in Winnipeg are also all guys who play 22+min a night and less than a minute on the PK.

Every single one of those guys would make the Oilers a much better team despite not playing PK very much.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817229 is a reply to message #817227 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 14:52

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 25 January 2023 13:35

I mean, there's a bunch:

Josi - over 25min a night (most on the team), less than 1 min on the PK
Dougie Hamilton in NJ - 22+min (most on the team), 0:17/game on the PK
Dobson - 21+min (most on the team), 0:35/game on the PK
Chabot in Ott - 25min+/game (most on the team), 0:14 on the PK
Letang - 24+min/game (most on the team), 0:51 on the PK
Karlsson - 25+min/game (most on the team), 0:13 on the PK

Vince Dunn in SEA, Shea Theodore in Vegas, Josh Morrissey in Winnipeg are also all guys who play 22+min a night and less than a minute on the PK.

Every single one of those guys would make the Oilers a much better team despite not playing PK very much.

Except for Josi, probably Morrissey, are any of those dmen known for defense? That was my whole point. People are telling me he's a great defender and I am looking at the list of guys and the huge majority of them are offensive dmen.

I'm not completely against Chychrun but the Oilers defense needs a guy who can help lessen the defensive load of Nurse and help on the PK. Scoring goals is not a problem for them.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 January 2023 15:36]

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817222 is a reply to message #817218 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

A little pricy and the deal is maybe a little long, but that's a good player locked up for the Stanley Cup years so yeah, I'd definitely be open to it!

A couple other quick notes:

- There's ample evidence that Chychrun is in fact a good defenceman, not a poor defender. Look up his scorecards. Look at who he plays against and the money he makes. Look at his +/- (+3) relative to his team (currently -50 in goal differential with no other defenceman a plus player.) This is like the driveby comment on Bouchard...narrative without any evidence, probably from listening too much to Edmonton sports radio and thinking that those windbags know anything.

- The Oilers should not care AT ALL about how deep a draft this might be this year. Trade every single pick if need be to improve the team for this year and next. The time when this draft class is ready to contribute in any meaningful way is a time after our Stanley Cup deadline. Everyone and everything not likely to be a big part of a Cup win this year or next is a moveable part.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817230 is a reply to message #817215 ]
Wed, 25 January 2023 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Chychrun is a first pairing D-man on many teams.

Broberg is NOT a 2nd pairing d-man yet.

We have the best player in the world. We have to stop waiting for kids to save his team.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817302 is a reply to message #817230 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

There was lots of talk yesterday afternoon on the talk shows about the Oilers going "all in" and what that meant. It got me thinking. Hear me out and I know it's long.

While the contract kind of worries me and I was originally against it, if you want to truly change your defense and your top pairing and bring in a dman that is elite at something, maybe the play is to go get Karlsson from the Sharks.

He's 32, going to be 33 in May and makes 11.5 mill for 4 more years so that's a bit of a worry. They would of course need to get the Sharks to retain some money. But the guy is healthy again and he's an elite skater. He's probably going to be in the running for a norris just because the points he's putting up. 15 goals, 64 pts in 49 games. So he is probably scoring 25 goals and pushing 90 pts with NO ONE to play with. What could he do with the Oilers scoring wise? His partner is a 3rd pairing guy. He is an elite puck moving, elite PP QB, elite skater and elite scorer. Defensively he's probably average so that's the knock. But on a really bad team, with a bad partner, he's -5. If you put him with Nurse, you'd have a legit, elite pairing that can play 25+ mins a night. If Nurse doesn't have to be the puck mover or puck rusher on the pairing, he can focus on being the big, nasty, physical, defensive guy.

To get Karlsson, considering the Sharks want to rebuild and want to get rid of him, it might be less in long term assets than some people think. The package would have to include Barrie who I know is popular in the room but Karlsson is a massive upgrade on what Barrie does well.

The age concerns me a little bit but he's an elite skater. So as he ages, by the time his contract is up, he probably goes from elite to just being good and he will still be able to move the puck really well and score some points with that puck moving and his offensive ability. As long as he is healthy, if he can score 80 or more on the Sharks this season, it's probably safe to assume on the Oilers he probably has at least 2-3 70+ pt seasons in him. Barrie will never do that and assuming he goes back to form, I highly doubt Bouchard would be capable of putting up those type of numbers. I could see Bouchard as a 60 pt dman but not 70, 80, 90! He put up 82 in Ottawa and he's never had guys like McD, Leon, Hyman, Nuge to play with. So what if in his last year he regresses to 50 pts.

To make the trade, the Sharks have to retain and they have said they will. I would think they need to get his salary down to 7-7.5 to make it realistic for most teams. So that's like 35%. I think they have come out and said they would do 20. You don't ever offer up your best offer to start. So say it's 7.5 mill.

A rebuild takes years. They need a dman going back to replace Karlsson and do what he does. So Barrie has to go back. There is 4.5 mill and in 1 more season they are free from his contact plus they could trade him at the deadline next year for more assets.

More money has to go back. I don't think JP has any value plus he needs a new deal and you won't want to qualify him at 3 mill, so there is a risk of losing him. I would give up Yamo who makes 3.1 mill. He's still youngish but signed from 1 more year. He has a 20 goal season and top 6 potential. They would have him next year, then still have his rights after.

Then some other assets.

So the trade is Barrie + Yamo + assets = 7.6

for Karlsson + 35% retained - 7.5 mill.

Those trades also makes the salary a wash for 2 seasons for the Oilers cap wise. The cap is supposed to go up after that by a big chunk.

The issue with that is Karlsson takes Bouchard's job. I like Bouchard, I think he will be a good offensive player but he won't be as good as Karlsson for the next 2-3 yrs. So then I would use Bouchard since he is redundant to be the center piece to bring in another left shot if you needed or address another area. Could you use Bouchard as the center piece to get Chychrun? I would think the Yotes would gladly take him on. He's a young NHL who probably slots into their top 4 immediately, you have control over him and he's not lightly it up in Edmonton so you could probaly resign him for a reasonable contract. Add in JP and whatever to make the money work. JP + Bouchard are 3.8 so you are close. Ceci would drop to the second pairing where he should be. Then you have a Desharnais or who ever as your 3rd pairing right shot. A big body that kills penalties, is defensive and plays 10-12 mins.

So your pairings could be:
Nurse - Karlsson
Chychrun - Ceci
Kulak/Broberg/Desharnais

If you need to unload money, you could get rid of Kulak pretty easy in the offseason and give Borberg his spot full time.

I am still mulling it over but that to me is going all in, it would be impactful and extremely bold and in my mind not far fetched.

[Updated on: Thu, 26 January 2023 09:45]

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817303 is a reply to message #817302 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

The Dman I would target to go "All-in on" is Parayko. 90% sure they don't want to trade him, but they are hanging by a thread for playoffs, Probably trading Tarasenko & O'Reilly if they fade even further by the trade deadline & are cap strapped like half the league.

I like Parayko for e few reasons....even more than just his play as a dman. He is a RD which will give you more balance on the pairings. If he plays with Nurse on the #1 pairing...image the size, shutdown capabilities, the grit & skating in on those two! He has won a cup, so you get solid experience. He is an Alberta boy made good which never hurts. Plus, he has a workable cap # that is locked in for a few years. He is the hulking shutdown guy we need, can move the puck decently, has solid wheels & has a bomb of a shot from the point (can help spell off Bouchard on PP).

I would suggest this for a trade...remembering you will have to over pay quite a bit to get him as Blues probably don't want to trade him unless blown away in an offer.

To Blues
- 2023 1st rd & 2024 1st rd pick
- Bourgault
- Lavoie
- Barrie ($ 4.5 M Cap hit)
- Puljujarvi ($3 M cap hit)

To Oilers
- Parayko ($ 6.5 M Cap hit)
- Barbashev($ 2.25 M cap hit - Blues retain $.750 K)
- 1 to 2 minor league contract to make # of contracts work out for Blues.

Analysis
Blues get an excellent haul for their team. A future top 6 center in Bourgault, Lavoie is a very big power forward type they could use, 2 x 1st rd picks to restock the cupboards, Barrie is an ok replacement for the rest of the year & then trade him for some decent picks at the draft, JP gets a chance to see what he can do for 20 or so games with another organization. If he doesn't work out they don't qualify him, which is probably likely...they save more cap space.

Oilers get the hulking shutdown pairing with Parayko/Nurse, get that Cup experience they need & at a contract price that can be managed around. Barbashev is put in to even off the cap $$$ and can play in the bottom 6 somehwere, plus his contract is up in summer so no cap hit next year.

Again, doubt the Blues do this deal, but I would go hard after him if they are opening to listening on Parayko.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817315 is a reply to message #815007 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Seeing mention on twitter that Dreger said he believes the 6 game win streak has shifted Holland's view to think he may not need any big additions.

Lol, I love how long this team has been managed by the same mood swings that fans have. You're supposed to have a 5+ year plan of how this team needs to be built to win the cup, but apparently the vision of what it takes can swing based on 6 games.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817316 is a reply to message #817315 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 14:41

Seeing mention on twitter that Dreger said he believes the 6 game win streak has shifted Holland's view to think he may not need any big additions.

Lol, I love how long this team has been managed by the same mood swings that fans have. You're supposed to have a 5+ year plan of how this team needs to be built to win the cup, but apparently the vision of what it takes can swing based on 6 games.

What the 6 game streak should show management that it's indeed a good team and with a few additions, it could be poised to go on a run. Before that, there were a lot more question marks.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817317 is a reply to message #817315 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Called it! The Oilers could get absolutely caved in during their back to backs with Winnipeg, Boston, and Toronto in March.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817323 is a reply to message #817317 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 15:06

Called it! The Oilers could get absolutely caved in during their back to backs with Winnipeg, Boston, and Toronto in March.

Hopefully, this is just positioning from a GM who doesn't want to be forced in to overpayments. It would be about the first time that Holland has ever tried bluffing if it is, but maybe an old dog can learn a new trick???

This team isn't fixed, and honestly, even if we were playing like Boston this year, I'd still want the GM to be looking to see if there was a way to improve the team before the deadline. The clock is ticking furiously on our window...the lack of urgency is concerning to say the least.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817326 is a reply to message #817323 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 17:21

Hopefully, this is just positioning from a GM who doesn't want to be forced in to overpayments. It would be about the first time that Holland has ever tried bluffing if it is, but maybe an old dog can learn a new trick???

This team isn't fixed, and honestly, even if we were playing like Boston this year, I'd still want the GM to be looking to see if there was a way to improve the team before the deadline. The clock is ticking furiously on our window...the lack of urgency is concerning to say the least.

Is Holland known for trying to work a media narrative in his favor? I think he's another master at telegraphing what he wants. Fully expecting an overpay for a depth D. Please surprise us Holland.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817327 is a reply to message #817326 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I just don't really understand how the attitude went from "We want Patrick Kane!" to "We want Joel Edmundson!"

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817328 is a reply to message #817327 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Six game win streak with a lot of heart?

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817330 is a reply to message #817326 ]
Thu, 26 January 2023 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 19:25

Adam wrote on Thu, 26 January 2023 17:21

Is Holland known for trying to work a media narrative in his favor? I think he's another master at telegraphing what he wants. Fully expecting an overpay for a depth D. Please surprise us Holland.

Misdirection isn't exactly a strength for Old Dutch. He's more of a tell-it-like-it-is kind of GM. I feel like the Oilers believe if they tell people what they want or plan to do then:

A) it sets expectations really low with the fanbase - if you say you're not doing anything, then maybe you can pick up Kulikov and really blow people away; and

B) One of those other GMs that you did a solid for at some point in the past by making sure not to "win a trade" against them is bound to repay the favour at some point when the cyclical nature of the game turns back in favour of our favourite team.

Honestly, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility to think that the team really believes all their struggles over the last decade and a half are because they pissed people off with the Vanek and Penner offer sheets in 2007 and it has just really cost them...they need to be nice to other GMs for just a bit longer to atone...

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817427 is a reply to message #817330 ]
Sun, 29 January 2023 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

With Yams coming off of LTIR on Feb 12th, barring more injuries (hope not) somethings gotta give for Oilers cap a day or two before that. Here’s is my suggestion on a trade…..

Jeannot (NSH - $.800 K cap hit)
For
JP & a 3rd rd pick

I think Preds take a serious look at this type of offer. They need a top 9 upgrade and maybe they think a 2nd chance for JP gets them a bit of an upgrade and they get a 3rd rounder in a deep draft to help stockpile more prospects there are currently fairing shy on.

Oilers get a cheap 3rd/4th line option with some size/toughness which they want and cap space to get Yams back in the fold coming off LTIR.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817433 is a reply to message #817427 ]
Sun, 29 January 2023 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Jakey wrote on Sun, 29 January 2023 09:56

With Yams coming off of LTIR on Feb 12th, barring more injuries (hope not) somethings gotta give for Oilers cap a day or two before that. Here’s is my suggestion on a trade…..

Oilers also just recalled D. Shore from Bako.. something afoot.. or do they send him back down after the Allstar break?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817434 is a reply to message #817433 ]
Sun, 29 January 2023 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 29 January 2023 22:33

Jakey wrote on Sun, 29 January 2023 09:56

Oilers also just recalled D. Shore from Bako.. something afoot.. or do they send him back down after the Allstar break?

It was just a conditioning stint, so he never officially left the Oilers roster and always had to be called back up. He's been down there for 10 days so they could have left him as much as 4 more days, but wouldn't have mattered to any cap implications.

Also, Hamblin was called up the day after Shore went down, and just got returned to Bakersfield yesterday.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 January 2023 23:25]

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817470 is a reply to message #815007 ]
Mon, 30 January 2023 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

So I was looking at the Oilers schedule, and it worries me. It's almost perfectly designed to give Holland a false sense of security in the run up to the trade deadline, only to have reality smack us in the face multiple times after we get there.

We have 11 games in February, with only 4 against playoff-bound teams (Rangers, Avalanche, Penguins, Bruins), then we play the Maple Leafs on March 1, ahead of the trade deadline of March 3rd.

The next eight games are Jets, Jets, Sabres, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Senators, Stars, Kraken. Only one of those teams is really vying for Connor Bedard. Of the 15 games in March, only four are with teams out of the mix.

April is pretty lax - two against each of the Ducks and the Sharks plus a game against the Kings (who I think will be long out of the running by then) and one tough match against the Avalanche.

Given the weak February and April, and the weaker Kings (currently -9 in goal differential - the only team close to the playoffs in a negative position, and with a known terrible coach behind the bench), the Oilers are really likely to make the playoffs. But there's a possibility that the Oilers could have a phenomenal record in the lead-up to the trade deadline, which could impact Holland's deliberations on what the team needs. The wake-up call in March will come too late if the Oilers do what they've done the last few deadlines and do minor tweaks thinking it's all good.

Ah well, I guess we'll see.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817474 is a reply to message #817470 ]
Tue, 31 January 2023 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am expecting the Oilers to add a bottom 6 forward, probably a guy that can play on your 3rd line who kills some penalties, hopefully can help win from draws as that is an area they could improve on, especially in the playoffs where it matters more and a guy who is defensively responsible but can provide a bit of offense. So an upgrade on a guy like McLeod.

I also expect them to pick up a dman.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817479 is a reply to message #817470 ]
Tue, 31 January 2023 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 30 January 2023 23:32

So I was looking at the Oilers schedule, and it worries me. It's almost perfectly designed to give Holland a false sense of security in the run up to the trade deadline, only to have reality smack us in the face multiple times after we get there.

We have 11 games in February, with only 4 against playoff-bound teams (Rangers, Avalanche, Penguins, Bruins), then we play the Maple Leafs on March 1, ahead of the trade deadline of March 3rd.

The next eight games are Jets, Jets, Sabres, Bruins, Maple Leafs, Senators, Stars, Kraken. Only one of those teams is really vying for Connor Bedard. Of the 15 games in March, only four are with teams out of the mix.

April is pretty lax - two against each of the Ducks and the Sharks plus a game against the Kings (who I think will be long out of the running by then) and one tough match against the Avalanche.

Given the weak February and April, and the weaker Kings (currently -9 in goal differential - the only team close to the playoffs in a negative position, and with a known terrible coach behind the bench), the Oilers are really likely to make the playoffs. But there's a possibility that the Oilers could have a phenomenal record in the lead-up to the trade deadline, which could impact Holland's deliberations on what the team needs. The wake-up call in March will come too late if the Oilers do what they've done the last few deadlines and do minor tweaks thinking it's all good.

I wouldn't write off the Kings just yet....unfortunately. Yeah they might be -9 in goal differential but they could still get it together & implement that annoying muck/grind style come playoff time. Definitely a team I'd rather not face in the postseason...

[Updated on: Tue, 31 January 2023 15:51]

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817480 is a reply to message #817479 ]
Tue, 31 January 2023 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I don't see the Kings holding up with their goaltending.

Copley is their guy at the moment. He's 31 and has 50 career NHL starts. Is goals against just a little under 3 and his % is .901. He has a career .900. At 31, there is usually a reason why a goalie has only got 50 career starts.

Quick is 37, has a 3.41 GA and a .881% this year. He's just coming to the end of the line of his career.

Generally, the games ramp up some after the Christmas break and we have seen the Kings stumble a bit. After the all start break, you get into the stretch drive and generally the games ramp up more. They have 2 games against the Ducks and the Yotes but the rest of their games to the end of Feb are Carolina, Pitts, Buf, Minnie, Devils, Islanders, Rangers, Jets.

Maybe I am wrong but I don't see their goaltending holding them in for much longer. When you are -9 goal diff this last in the season, that is usually a sign there are goaltending/defensive issues.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817481 is a reply to message #817479 ]
Tue, 31 January 2023 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Tue, 31 January 2023 14:04

Adam wrote on Mon, 30 January 2023 23:32

Unfortunately....I wouldn't write off the Kings just yet....unfortunately. Yeah they might be -9 in goal differential but they could still get it together & implement that annoying muck/grind style come playoff time. Definitely a team I'd rather not face in the postseason...

Of the 9 teams in the west who have legitimate claim to the playoffs (sit down Predators, no one has time for your malarkey) I'd be most worried if I was the Kings and Flames. Oily bois should be fine despite the obvious wall they're going to hit in March.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817482 is a reply to message #817481 ]
Tue, 31 January 2023 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Stauffer mentioned Bjugstad in his show today as potentially being an Oiler. I assume that means it's it's happening.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817483 is a reply to message #817482 ]
Tue, 31 January 2023 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 31 January 2023 14:46

Stauffer mentioned Bjugstad in his show today as potentially being an Oiler. I assume that means it's it's happening.

Bug and Church is going to cost a lot and Arizona already has so many of the Oilers picks.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817484 is a reply to message #817483 ]
Tue, 31 January 2023 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 31 January 2023 15:35

Bug and Church is going to cost a lot and Arizona already has so many of the Oilers picks.

My hope is that they could trade the Yotes JP for Bjugstad. He's a UFA and won't be back. JP is a 24 yr old forward who in Edmonton is struggling but maybe in a less pressure environment he can find his game and get back to being a 10-15 goal, 30 pt player he should be able to be easily. His next contract will be a fraction of what he makes this year.

I could see JP as a player who does really well in non hockey markets like Arizona. A place where all he has to do is play the game. There is very little media asking him why he's struggling when his game is in the tank, no talk shows having media and calls pick apart his game and once he gets 3-4 blocks from the arena, no one could pick him out of a line up.

JP's cap hit isn't an issue for the Yotes and they would be getting a young player in need of a change of scenery who you could probably convince to sign for a small amount and has the potential to be one hell of a value deal next year.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817494 is a reply to message #817484 ]
Wed, 01 February 2023 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 31 January 2023 15:45

My hope is that they could trade the Yotes JP for Bjugstad. He's a UFA and won't be back. JP is a 24 yr old forward who in Edmonton is struggling but maybe in a less pressure environment he can find his game and get back to being a 10-15 goal, 30 pt player he should be able to be easily. His next contract will be a fraction of what he makes this year.

I could see JP as a player who does really well in non hockey markets like Arizona. A place where all he has to do is play the game. There is very little media asking him why he's struggling when his game is in the tank, no talk shows having media and calls pick apart his game and once he gets 3-4 blocks from the arena, no one could pick him out of a line up.

JP's cap hit isn't an issue for the Yotes and they would be getting a young player in need of a change of scenery who you could probably convince to sign for a small amount and has the potential to be one hell of a value deal next year.

Ya I think you may be right on this one. JP gets to a easy hockey market, gets opportunity to play with no pressure and he would definately sign a multi year deal for a lesser amount than his current cap hit. That makes sense for the Yotes as well. They are still years away from making any uptick move with all the picks they have now. Their rebuild foundation is this year & next years draft.

I would be fine with JP for Bjugstad straight up. Time to move on and get some cap room for other potential trades.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817497 is a reply to message #817494 ]
Wed, 01 February 2023 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Jakey wrote on Wed, 01 February 2023 08:18

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 31 January 2023 15:45

Ya I think you may be right on this one. JP gets to a easy hockey market, gets opportunity to play with no pressure and he would definately sign a multi year deal for a lesser amount than his current cap hit. That makes sense for the Yotes as well. They are still years away from making any uptick move with all the picks they have now. Their rebuild foundation is this year & next years draft.

I would be fine with JP for Bjugstad straight up. Time to move on and get some cap room for other potential trades.

There is an NHL player in JP, my big issue with him this year is the contract. If he was making close to what he was last year which was just over 1 mill, he can keep doing what he is doing now. Be Ok defensively in a bottom 6 role that disrupt plays, gets the puck moving the right direction but will struggle to score. So if he was making around 1 mill like last year, he can fire all the grade A chances into the goalies chest he wants and I wouldn't care. Once you get up into the 3's, you need to score.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817498 is a reply to message #817479 ]
Wed, 01 February 2023 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Tue, 31 January 2023 14:04

I wouldn't write off the Kings just yet....unfortunately. Yeah they might be -9 in goal differential but they could still get it together & implement that annoying muck/grind style come playoff time. Definitely a team I'd rather not face in the postseason...

Goal differential is the single most correlated stat to whether a team makes the playoffs. There are a few exceptions, but generally, the teams with positive goal differentials make it, those with negatives, do not. Here's a quick look at the last 10 years:

2012-13 - All but one playoff team in the East had positive, with the exception being the Islanders who were dead even. Every team out of the playoff picture in that conference was negative. In the West, the only exceptions to that were 8th and 9th spot, as the Wild (-5) edged the Blue Jackets (-1) on a tie breaker in the shortened season.

2013-14 - The rule holds up here for every playoff team except the Detroit Red Wings who scrape in at -8. There were no plus teams who didn't make it.

2014-15 - Every playoff team was a plus team, but there were three extra on the plus side this year (with a few teams diving for McDavid and putting up staggering negatives - Tor -51, Edm -85, Ari -102, Buf -113). Boston (+2), Los Angeles (+15) and Dallas (+1) didn't make it.

2015-16 - The rule holds fast in the West, not so in the East where Boston (+10) misses again, and Philly (-4) and Detroit (-13) make it in. Detroit the worst team on this metric to make the playoffs in our period.

2016-17 - West again holds, East again has an anomaly, with Ottawa (-2) and Tampa (+7) flipping.

2017-18 - Rule holds again for playoff teams, but there's too many + teams again so Dallas (+10), St. Louis (+4) and Florida (+2) miss the dance.

2018-19 - Again the rule holds for all playoff teams. Just one extra plus this year for Montreal who misses at +13.

2019-20 - Covid year, so it's a bit messed up with teams playing different amounts of games, and the play-in. I'm tempted to just throw this one out because it's not apples to apples with the rest, but just going on top 8 in each conference by points percentage, it's the most wonky. In the West, Nashville (-2) and Calgary (-5) would be in, while Winnipeg (_13) and Arizona (+8 would be out. In the east, you'd have Islanders in at -1, while Rangers at +12 and Panthers at +3 would be out. As I said, there's so much going on here that it's hard to look at this as representative of anything.

2020-21 - Also totally weird with a different format - everyone only playing their divisions, limited games, etc. Still, the only playoff teams who were minus were Montreal at -9 and St. Louis at -1 (no positive team missed in North or West divs) and only teams that were positive and missed were Dallas at +4 and the Rangers at +20!!! In both of those they were the lowest differential team in their division - the Flyers, Devils and Sabres just REALLY sucked.

2021-22 - East holds up, West sees the -8 Dallas Stars make it and the +18 Golden Knights and +13 Canucks miss. The Knights are the best non-covid-weird season team to miss, so sucks for them. I'll cry no tears for them.

So in the eight non-Covid impacted years, there have been 6 teams that made it in with negative seasons, and of those, only three years where minus teams edge plus teams. The Kings are already at -10, so they'd be close to the worst team on differential to make the playoffs in our sample here.

It's absolutely possible that they manage it, and they're still not only in a playoff spot, but currently sit second in the division. However, I don't think it's sustainable. And maybe you could see them edging the Flames (+5) but the Oilers? We're currently +25. If we lost out to the Kings, it would be both the highest plus differential to miss, as well as the biggest differential between the two teams. Unless the wheels completely come off the Oilers - it should be unfathomable for them to miss the playoffs.

Also, McLellan is a crap coach, who never gets anything extra out of his team.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817500 is a reply to message #817498 ]
Wed, 01 February 2023 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Worth noting - by goal differential, the three bubble teams fighting for the final playoff spot should be Calgary, Los Angeles and Nashville. My prediction is that Calgary scrapes in. I think Edmonton and Colorado will be well above the fray by then and not even feeling any danger in April - other than the rude awakening a tough March may give the Oilers as to their playoff chances.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817501 is a reply to message #817500 ]
Wed, 01 February 2023 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The old Bettman loser point is never so prevalent than with the Flames this year. They have 9 points off OT losses. Realistically, they are 24 wins, 26 losses but tied for the Wildcard and 3 wins behind the Avs and 4 wins behind the Oilers. It shouldn't be like that.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817502 is a reply to message #817500 ]
Wed, 01 February 2023 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 01 February 2023 11:27

Worth noting - by goal differential, the three bubble teams fighting for the final playoff spot should be Calgary, Los Angeles and Nashville. My prediction is that Calgary scrapes in. I think Edmonton and Colorado will be well above the fray by then and not even feeling any danger in April - other than the rude awakening a tough March may give the Oilers as to their playoff chances.

I know I wrote Nashville off, but I really like that team and how it's built. They have an elite goaltender, an elite defenseman, and ok scoring upside. Plus the city is super fun. They were ice cold to start the year and have been slowly regaining ground all season. With games in hand they could threaten LA and Calgary for a WC spot. Tough road though

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817740 is a reply to message #817502 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

A guy who definitely could know something based on proximity: "Holland has a big surprise to announce soon. Big money player in, two roster players out."

Maybe something exciting is afoot??

My guess: Erik Karlsson 50% retained for Jesse, Barrie, Bourgault and a first.
More likely: Chychrun for Jesse, Kulak, Bourgault and a first.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817741 is a reply to message #817740 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I actually think that Barrie is unlikely to be moved. He seems to be a BIG part of that team both on and off the ice. If a dman is going out, I think it would be Ceci or Bouchard.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817746 is a reply to message #817741 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 10:06

I actually think that Barrie is unlikely to be moved. He seems to be a BIG part of that team both on and off the ice. If a dman is going out, I think it would be Ceci or Bouchard.

Any trade including Bouchard is insanity.

I have little respect for our decrepit general manager, but I can't think he values Tyson Barrie more than Evan Bouchard.

A trade like that ends up looking like the Hall deal very quickly, especially if in return we take back someone like Karlsson who could be an albatross of a contract to deal with - even if the Sharks take some of the hit.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817748 is a reply to message #817746 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 11:59

I have little respect for our decrepit general manager, but I can't think he values Tyson Barrie more than Evan Bouchard.

A trade like that ends up looking like the Hall deal very quickly, especially if in return we take back someone like Karlsson who could be an albatross of a contract to deal with - even if the Sharks take some of the hit.

I am not advocating to trade Bouchard what so ever. But I do not see him as untouchable. If he is needed as part of a package to get yourself an upgrade on him on the right side, I believe you have to look at it.

I see Bouchard as a point producing (50 pts), PP QB, second pairing(#4) right shot guy who on a good day can be OK defensively. So a slightly bigger, slight upgrade on Barrie. Maybe things can change, but I do not see the defensively awareness what so ever in his game needed to advanced past that. The mistakes he does and the lack of defensively awareness he shows to me is concerning because a lot of what he isn't doing I see as basic stuff and I don't see the urgency in his game to improve on that.

When all the talk was about Broberg being on the team this year at the start, he talked about placing and emphasis on defending, not worrying about points. I can literally see the emphasis in his game on wanting to defend better as he's improving all the time. I don't see that in BOuchard's game, the want to improve on the areas he lacks in.

So I have concerns.

Re: 2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread [message #817751 is a reply to message #817748 ]
Wed, 08 February 2023 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 12:17

Adam wrote on Wed, 08 February 2023 11:59

I am not advocating to trade Bouchard what so ever. But I do not see him as untouchable. If he is needed as part of a package to get yourself an upgrade on him on the right side, I believe you have to look at it.

I see Bouchard as a point producing (50 pts), PP QB, second pairing(#4) right shot guy who on a good day can be OK defensively. So a slightly bigger, slight upgrade on Barrie. Maybe things can change, but I do not see the defensively awareness what so ever in his game needed to advanced past that. The mistakes he does and the lack of defensively awareness he shows to me is concerning because a lot of what he isn't doing I see as basic stuff and I don't see the urgency in his game to improve on that.

When all the talk was about Broberg being on the team this year at the start, he talked about placing and emphasis on defending, not worrying about points. I can literally see the emphasis in his game on wanting to defend better as he's improving all the time. I don't see that in BOuchard's game, the want to improve on the areas he lacks in.

So I have concerns.

Bouchard is maybe already the Oilers best defenceman. He is capable of moving the puck up ice, and he can put up points at even strength. His season looks a bit more uneven, which is a godsend to the Oilers actually, given his free agent status. But over the last couple months, he's been very stable and productive.

Broberg is helpful and a decent player, but he's not got the same ceiling, so if you HAD to trade one, then you would be foolish to choose Bouchard over the Swede. Ideally, you keep them both, of course.

Is he untouchable? Almost no one is untouchable. But there's a very short list of players I'd be dealing Bouchard to get. The list I'd deal Broberg for is much longer. Kulak and Barrie? No issue with trading those guys!

Pages (12): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Staios as GM???
Next Topic:Puljujarvi's Extension
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca