This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817117]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Vancouver to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817119 is a reply to message #817117 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Fricken eh Nuge!

“Bruce there it is!”

Terrible NHL exit. As a fan, nothing but good things to say about that coach.

[Updated on: Sat, 21 January 2023 22:40]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817120 is a reply to message #817119 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Awesome win
I feel for Budreau. Disgusting Canucks

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817121 is a reply to message #817120 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Nice to know there's one other team that is more dysfunctional in the front office..

Took the foot off the gas, but glad to see them win against a motivated team

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817124 is a reply to message #817120 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Got a bit to close to comfort in the third, but we saw it out. That's all that matters, scruffy wins, blow outs and all the rest inbetween as long as it's a W at the end of the game I don't care.

Feel for Budreau, he's been so badly treated. I'm sure he'll get another job if he wants it.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817129 is a reply to message #817124 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Leia wrote on Sun, 22 January 2023 00:45

Got a bit to close to comfort in the third, but we saw it out. That's all that matters, scruffy wins, blow outs and all the rest inbetween as long as it's a W at the end of the game I don't care.

Feel for Budreau, he's been so badly treated. I'm sure he'll get another job if he wants it.

You never know. He is the oldest coach in the league at 68. I dont know if many teams are going to line up to hire him at this age. He even admitted he doesn't skate at all the practices anymore (I'm not sure that makes a difference, but that made it sound like he is doing less than he used to).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817123 is a reply to message #817119 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Man... tough seeing Bruce tearing up on the bench there.

The Van management team has treated one of the best coaches in the league like a piece of garbage. Allvin and Castonguay up in the rafters look like toolboxes.

First Swedish GM and first two female assistant GMs in league history, and it seems like the team is a tire fire management-wise. For all their forward-thinking, the Canucks are showing that they were prepared to be woke, but seem to be going broke in the process.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817135 is a reply to message #817123 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sat, 21 January 2023 22:43

The Van management team has treated one of the best coaches in the league like a piece of garbage. Allvin and Castonguay up in the rafters look like toolboxes.

First Swedish GM and first two female assistant GMs in league history, and it seems like the team is a tire fire management-wise. For all their forward-thinking, the Canucks are showing that they were prepared to be woke, but seem to be going broke in the process.

To be fair. This team has been dysfunctional for the majority of its existence. Signing Messier, trading a great leader like Linden and giving the Moose the ‘C’ really stands out as a feaux pas.

If it was not late, I could go on for a while. It’s not the ‘wokeness’.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817139 is a reply to message #817135 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 21 January 2023 23:13

To be fair. This team has been dysfunctional for the majority of its existence. Signing Messier, trading a great leader like Linden and giving the Moose the ‘C’ really stands out as a feaux pas.

Was Linden a "great leader"? I always thought he was a bottom rung "star". Sort of like a Ryan Smyth-type where the fans love him, but he's really not much of an impact guy. I think that bringing in Messier was one thing - he was getting on in years so it wasn't like they were getting him in his prime - but they also brought on Keenan about then, and that wasn't a recipe for success by that point.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817142 is a reply to message #817139 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 22 January 2023 01:47

inverno76 wrote on Sat, 21 January 2023 23:13

Was Linden a "great leader"? I always thought he was a bottom rung "star". Sort of like a Ryan Smyth-type where the fans love him, but he's really not much of an impact guy. I think that bringing in Messier was one thing - he was getting on in years so it wasn't like they were getting him in his prime - but they also brought on Keenan about then, and that wasn't a recipe for success by that point.

My point of reference comes from buddies and relatives that live in BC, or are just Canuck fans. They say he was a huge factor in the dressing room and the trade/then Mess deal set them back. It’s regarded as a dark period by the fan base.

I always felt like the Keenan hire wasn’t mutually exclusive to bringing Messier in. It had a “It worked for the Rangers” feel to it.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817126 is a reply to message #817117 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Keep the train rolling woooo! 6 straight!
Really feel for Bruce tho!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817128 is a reply to message #817126 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

We kicked ass. Feel for Budreau though

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817131 is a reply to message #817128 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I feel for Bruce as well... I'm sticking around to watch the post-game chat with him.

The Canucks aren't even that bad of a team. All the BS that management has created around the squad though is clearly taking a toll on them all though, and it's not surprising that they've been struggling for a while.

As much as I have hated the Canucks in the past, they played a really clean game even with all those emotions running high. I tip my hat to the team and Bruce for keeping it from being an ugly affair with a division rival.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817130 is a reply to message #817126 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

...agree with all of the above. this game was a lot closer than it had to be. And Boudreau? There may not be a good way to fire a guy, but there definately is a BAD way to do it. icon_neutral

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817133 is a reply to message #817130 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Horrendous ways are even better than the way that their management is handling Bruce. He's been on the outs for well over a year with his management team dragging him over and over and over again.

I'm surprised that he didn't straight up quit, however I think he stuck around because he cares about the players. He didn't want to bail on them.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817134 is a reply to message #817133 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sat, 21 January 2023 22:58

Horrendous ways are even better than the way that their management is handling Bruce. He's been on the outs for well over a year with his management team dragging him over and over and over again.

I'm surprised that he didn't straight up quit, however I think he stuck around because he cares about the players. He didn't want to bail on them.

He gets all his monies, which he wouldn't if he quit. I'm not feeling too bad for him. Go home and take a vacation with the wife. His worries will go away quick.

[Updated on: Sat, 21 January 2023 23:06]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817136 is a reply to message #817134 ]
Sat, 21 January 2023 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Pretty decent schedule coming up. Can really take advantage

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817140 is a reply to message #817133 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

His contract is guaranteed, that's a big reason he's still there, so they have to pay him out. Otherwise he would have checked out of that shatshow. Has to suck having to answer questions and having a team that isn't very well put together to the point they can't sign their captain, can't defend & keep pucks out.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817143 is a reply to message #817126 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

NCREDiBLE wrote on Sun, 22 January 2023 05:48

Keep the train rolling woooo! 6 straight!
Really feel for Bruce tho!

Yes!!!!! This team is playing some very good hockey!!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817137 is a reply to message #817117 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

These wins are nearly as big as the wins against Vegas and Seattle. Don't take it easy, take the points.

Skinner no rust, wonderful game by Zack Hyman. Connor, LD. Nuge with a couple great stretch passes and the EN that stuck a fork into any OT plans for Van. No passengers at all. Some own zone chaos and some errant passes, but overall they managed.

When is Foegele going to score on one of these Grade AAA opportunities? My goodness. Also, I'd like to see Kane get one and get going.

Van has some good players in their top 6, but not their bottom 6. Their D has a couple former names well past their prime. Hughes isn't good at defending. They're a long way away, I have no idea how their pipeline looks.

The panel on HNIC was talking about the Boudreau drama and there being nothing like it. I beg to differ, when I was a kid and still a Leafs fan in the late 70's, it was known that Roger Neilson was under the gun. He was fired by owner Harold Ballard and there was such a backlash from players, fans and media that he was rehired. This was in the days where you had sparse highlights on late night sports after the news and weather, you had to read the Journal or Sun sports for scores pre-printing, and wait for the Hockey News for any kind of in depth analysis. If that was going on in Toronto today, it would of course dwarve the attention given to the Boudreau situation.

Anyway, 6 games. Let the good times roll, Ed! (Stampede Wrestling reference) 😁

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817141 is a reply to message #817117 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Went to the game.

McDavid great.

Hyman great.

Stu great.

Boudreau sad.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817144 is a reply to message #817141 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Sun, 22 January 2023 08:57

Went to the game.

McDavid great.

Hyman great.

Stu great.

Boudreau sad.

Awesome you got to go!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817145 is a reply to message #817117 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Like many, I don't understand what Canucks management is thinking.....

Do they want to temporarily veer away from the plan and capitalize off a strong draft class (presumably praying for Bedard much like the Oilers unexpectedly lucked out on McDavid in 2015)?

Or do they want to bring in a guy like Tocchet to temporarily preserve their "investments" with the biggest one being able to get JT Miller straight?

Not sure what Tocchet has done in the past to warrant this impromptu decision....something about him that kinda comes off as Dallas Eakins-esque....

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817148 is a reply to message #817145 ]
Sun, 22 January 2023 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sun, 22 January 2023 13:03

Do they want to temporarily veer away from the plan and capitalize off a strong draft class (presumably praying for Bedard much like the Oilers unexpectedly lucked out on McDavid in 2015)?

Or do they want to bring in a guy like Tocchet to temporarily preserve their "investments" with the biggest one being able to get JT Miller straight?

Not sure what Tocchet has done in the past to warrant this impromptu decision....something about him that kinda comes off as Dallas Eakins-esque....

Canucks management watching down on the love for Bruce and still axe him, that’s a cold group lol. Tocchet has a look about him, like a villain and I don’t like Vancouver so it’s a match lol. Hope Bruce is back behind a bench soon, quality guy! Man of the people ! Gotta feel for him

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817151 is a reply to message #817148 ]
Mon, 23 January 2023 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Sun, 22 January 2023 22:58

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sun, 22 January 2023 13:03

Canucks management watching down on the love for Bruce and still axe him, that’s a cold group lol. Tocchet has a look about him, like a villain and I don’t like Vancouver so it’s a match lol. Hope Bruce is back behind a bench soon, quality guy! Man of the people ! Gotta feel for him

Ownership and management that treated Bruce horrendously, Tocchet coming in as the meathead step dad to replace belove Bruce, and JT Miller likely being their guy going forward.

I was softening my stance on the 'Nucks, but man they make it so easy to hate the organization and think I'm gonna follow suit.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #48) [message #817190 is a reply to message #817151 ]
Tue, 24 January 2023 18:38 Go to previous message

1 Cup

You know what’s fun

Beating the Canucks. Never gets old

Previous Topic:Pregame: Columbus @ Edmonton (Game #49)
Next Topic:Zach Hyman first star of the week
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca