This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816913]
Thu, 19 January 2023 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
Tampa Bay to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2022-23 Regular Season
Tuesday, November 8, 2022Edmonton 3 @ Tampa Bay 2Win
Thursday, January 19, 2023Tampa Bay 3 @ Edmonton 5Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 2-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 5/3 Total: 8
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/2 Total: 5

2021-22 Regular Season
Wednesday, February 23, 2022Edmonton 3 @ Tampa Bay 5Loss
Saturday, March 12, 2022Tampa Bay 1 @ Edmonton 4Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/3 Total: 7
Home / Road Goals Against: 1/5 Total: 6

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816919 is a reply to message #816913 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

We often complain about Calgary getting a team on a the second half of a back to back, today is two in a row of the Oilers getting a team on the back end of a west coast back to back. They need to win when a team is on a scheduled loss.

This is the last playoff team the Oilers play until February 17.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816924 is a reply to message #816919 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrean  is currently offline Adrean

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 08:58

We often complain about Calgary getting a team on a the second half of a back to back, today is two in a row of the Oilers getting a team on the back end of a west coast back to back. They need to win when a team is on a scheduled loss.

This is the last playoff team the Oilers play until February 17.

I won't take credit for this, I heard it on the radio before Tuesday's game.

It goes beyond that. All three teams that the Oilers play this week are playing their 3rd game in 4 nights. Just a weird schedule anomaly that works in the Oilers favour for once.

benv wrote on Thu, 02 November 2017 Adrean wins his first Survivor title!
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 13 February 2019 Mighty Adrean is a two time champion
CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 19 February 2020 For the third time Adam's Dad stands victorious

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816920 is a reply to message #816913 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Don’t let this one fool you. She’s as Musty as ever in these parts. But let’s check the MRC (Must Requirement Checklist) for consistency sake.

Oilers game today? Check

See! Full marks on the MRC.

LFG ladies and germs!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816921 is a reply to message #816920 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Red Rage  is currently offline Red Rage

No Cups

What is the actual winning percentage for teams on the back half of back to backs?

Anecdotally, I feel as though the Oil do not too badly, but is there any evidence to support the belief that teams overall perform poorly in these situations?

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816922 is a reply to message #816921 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Red Rage wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 09:25

What is the actual winning percentage for teams on the back half of back to backs?

Anecdotally, I feel as though the Oil do not too badly, but is there any evidence to support the belief that teams overall perform poorly in these situations?

https://morehockeystats.com/teams/gamedays
The Oilers have been slightly better on back to back games (1.3 points / game) than their overall record (1.1 points / game). But that's atypical. Tampa is .8 ppg on back to back compared to their overall of 1.3.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816923 is a reply to message #816921 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Red Rage wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 09:25

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/2xia7h/quick_statis tics_of_2nd_half_of_back_to_back_games/

https://morehockeystats.com/teams/gamedays

Here's some references. There is definitely statistical evidence that teams playing on the back end of back-to-backs have a reduced chance of winning.

The oddsmakers even build that in to their models, although according to this article, they may over-favour rested teams: https://thehockeynews.com/news/nhl-betting-trend-well-rested -favorites-vs-back-to-back-underdogs

It's worth noting that in the team stats, Tampa has one of the biggest drop-offs, so here's hoping we're able to take advantage. The team really needs all the points it can get right now, so we need to exploit every advantage we can.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816930 is a reply to message #816923 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Final score

Oilers 5
Lightning 2.

Book it

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816933 is a reply to message #816930 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Interesting as it sounds like Campbell is getting the start again. He's played extremely well so I have no issue. Maybe they just want to ease Skinner back in. I remember the early days of when my first was born. Not a lot of sleep those first few weeks/months.

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816942 is a reply to message #816933 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 10:52

Interesting as it sounds like Campbell is getting the start again. He's played extremely well so I have no issue. Maybe they just want to ease Skinner back in. I remember the early days of when my first was born. Not a lot of sleep those first few weeks/months.

I don't mind this (except I just traded for Skinner). Campbell has been playing well and winning, he's had a few days off, and Skinner does have a newborn. I always worry about the Oilers falling in love with the hot hand and burning them out, but one extra game doesn't matter. IF they start Campbell Saturday I'll have some concerns.

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816943 is a reply to message #816942 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 14:24

I don't mind this (except I just traded for Skinner). Campbell has been playing well and winning, he's had a few days off, and Skinner does have a newborn. I always worry about the Oilers falling in love with the hot hand and burning them out, but one extra game doesn't matter. IF they start Campbell Saturday I'll have some concerns.

I do wonder if part of it is Skinner's last game was Jan 9th then he went home for the birth of his son. So we are going on 10 days since his last start with not a ton of practice time. So maybe the thinking is you give him a technically easier opponent in the Canucks for his first start back vs one of the best teams in the NHL for a long time.

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816947 is a reply to message #816942 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Remember how Talbot’s game fell off here not long after the birth of their twins?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816957 is a reply to message #816947 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 19:05 Go to previous message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 19:02

Remember how Talbot’s game fell off here not long after the birth of their twins?

Cam Talbot was 4th in Venzina voting when his twins were born. He had a shutout at the Heritage Classic when they were 4 days old.

https://www.nhl.com/news/cam-talbots-newborn-twins-cheer-him -on-in-heritage-classic/c-282984630

Devin Dubnyk is the one that had a kid right before the season started, and his play fell off that year.

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816948 is a reply to message #816920 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 09:12

Don’t let this one fool you. She’s as Musty as ever in these parts. But let’s check the MRC (Must Requirement Checklist) for consistency sake.

Oilers game today? Check

See! Full marks on the MRC.

LFG ladies and germs!

Rolling a win tonight into some of the easy games coming up would be YUGE!!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816949 is a reply to message #816948 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kane scores. Book it

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816951 is a reply to message #816949 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 17:42

Kane scores. Book it

LET'S GO! Can't wait to see him light it up!

Re: Pregame: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47) [message #816955 is a reply to message #816951 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 18:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

NCREDiBLE wrote on Fri, 20 January 2023 00:47

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 17:42

Kane scores. Book it

LET'S GO! Can't wait to see him light it up!

Same!!!

I want this win!

Previous Topic:GDT: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #47)
Next Topic:Review: Seattle @ Edmonton (Game #46)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca