Sunday, December 5, 2021Los Angeles 5 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Tuesday, February 15, 2022Edmonton 5 @ Los Angeles 2Win
Wednesday, March 30, 2022Los Angeles 3 @ Edmonton 4 (OT) (SO)Win
Thursday, April 7, 2022Edmonton 3 @ Los Angeles 2Win
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 2-0-0       Overall Record: 3-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 5/8 Total: 13
Home / Road Goals Against: 8/4 Total: 12

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816267 is a reply to message #816264 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Such a Musty trip here boys and girls. Muuuuusty trip.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816271 is a reply to message #816267 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 06:44

Such a Musty trip here boys and girls. Muuuuusty trip.

Oilfans, like the Oilers need a full compliment of their top talent to be at their best and most entertaining. Lately this forum has been a bit weak, and like Klefbom we miss ... need you Oscar.

Get some fresh pants and bring your Mustiness.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816272 is a reply to message #816271 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

With the business of Christmas on the horizon, I took a break from this place as it just gets so toxic but I am back again.

The Oilers have officially played half their games. Hopefully they can be a little better over these last half of games.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816275 is a reply to message #816272 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Just win. Please

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816277 is a reply to message #816275 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

9:30. Wow. I won’t even be awake for puck drop lol

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816280 is a reply to message #816277 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I will be curious to see who plays today. Foegele has been scratched for 2 games in a row which I don't agree. What has JP or Yamo done much better that makes it so they don't get scratched? All 3 of the 3 mill men have been lousy this year.
Yamo - 29GP - 3 g, 10 pts +5. That's an 8 goal, 28 pt pace in 82.
JP - 41GP - 3 g, 9 pts, -13. That's a 6 goal, 18 pt pace in 82.
Foegele - 28GP - 4g, 7 pts, -1. That's a 12 goal, 21 pt pace in 82.

What's worse is that JP and Yamo have played significant time with one of McD or Leon. So I would have rotating scratching. Not one of those guys especially JP or Yamo have remotely lived up to their contract.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816282 is a reply to message #816280 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 10:46

I will be curious to see who plays today. Foegele has been scratched for 2 games in a row which I don't agree. What has JP or Yamo done much better that makes it so they don't get scratched? All 3 of the 3 mill men have been lousy this year.

What's worse is that JP and Yamo have played significant time with one of McD or Leon. So I would have rotating scratching. Not one of those guys especially JP or Yamo have remotely lived up to their contract.

Janmark should be out. He's been a black hole. The others have generated some chances lately. Yamamoto scored a SHG just Thursday. Puljujarvi is among our best forecheckers. They should not sit for Foegele, and certainly not for Janmark.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816286 is a reply to message #816282 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 10:51

Janmark should be out. He's been a black hole. The others have generated some chances lately. Yamamoto scored a SHG just Thursday. Puljujarvi is among our best forecheckers. They should not sit for Foegele, and certainly not for Janmark.

I would have Yamo last on the list to scratch because as you pointed out, he did score a shorty and has looked a bit better lately but the rope he gets isn't that long.

I am not going to die on the hill arguing in favor for him so if Janmark gets scratch, sure. But Janmark makes 1.25 mill. He's on a 9 goal, 27 pt pace in 82 games. That's a perfectly acceptable amount of production for a guy making what he makes. He can kill some penalties and is what I see as a pretty standard NHL bottom 6 guy. Could you replace him with someone else at similar dollars and probably get the same level of play, sure. But I don't see him as a problem given what he makes.

Maybe you disagree with me but being a good forechecker doesn't = 3 mill at least in my books for JP. You could take what JP makes and go sign 3 guys at 1 mill a piece, ice an entire NHL 4th line and I bet you could get more goals, pts and they would probably forecheck just fine. They sat Foegele for 2 games to maybe teach him a lesson, now it's JP's turn. Then once you sit JP for a game or 2 to send a message, if Yamo isn't going better, you sit him.

The Oilers are paying 8.85 mill for Yamo, JP & Foegele and in return they have got to date 10 goals, 28 pts. Those 3 should have made up a massive chunk of the Oilers "depth". No reason what so ever those 3 shouldn't be combining for 45-50 goals and over 100 pts at least. They will be lucky to get half that. That's pathetic. That kind of production from 3 guys is the type of production you expect from 3 guys making barely over league min.

McLeod isn't far behind in my books. Now thankfully he is making barely over league min so I am fine to give him a bit more rope but in the offseason everyone was so worried about locking him up long term because he will explode. Well thank god they didn't because he's been lousy as well and with how he's played, he's not in line to get much of a raise next year.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2023 11:24]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816289 is a reply to message #816286 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 11:20

I would have Yamo last on the list to scratch because as you pointed out, he did score a shorty and has looked a bit better lately but the rope he gets isn't that long.

I am not going to die on the hill arguing in favor for him so if Janmark gets scratch, sure. But Janmark makes 1.25 mill. He's on a 9 goal, 27 pt pace in 82 games. That's a perfectly acceptable amount of production for a guy making what he makes. He can kill some penalties and is what I see as a pretty standard NHL bottom 6 guy. Could you replace him with someone else at similar dollars and probably get the same level of play, sure. But I don't see him as a problem given what he makes.

Maybe you disagree with me but being a good forechecker doesn't = 3 mill at least in my books for JP. You could take what JP makes and go sign 3 guys at 1 mill a piece, ice an entire NHL 4th line and I bet you could get more goals, pts and they would probably forecheck just fine. They sat Foegele for 2 games to maybe teach him a lesson, now it's JP's turn. Then once you sit JP for a game or 2 to send a message, if Yamo isn't going better, you sit him.

The Oilers are paying 8.85 mill for Yamo, JP & Foegele and in return they have got to date 10 goals, 28 pts. Those 3 should have made up a massive chunk of the Oilers "depth". No reason what so ever those 3 shouldn't be combining for 45-50 goals and over 100 pts at least. They will be lucky to get half that. That's pathetic. That kind of production from 3 guys is the type of production you expect from 3 guys making barely over league min.

McLeod isn't far behind in my books. Now thankfully he is making barely over league min so I am fine to give him a bit more rope but in the offseason everyone was so worried about locking him up long term because he will explode. Well thank god they didn't because he's been lousy as well and with how he's played, he's not in line to get much of a raise next year.

The coach should not at any point be making even a single decision based on how much any player is getting paid. It doesn't matter - the job is to ice the best roster, not the one that's the most fiscally responsible. It doesn't save the team one red cent to scratch a more expensive guy in favour of a cheaper one.

The only thing Woodcroft should be thinking about is who makes his team the best team he can ice. Puljujarvi and McLeod's production has been disappointing this year, but they're better than all of Foegele, Shore and Janmark, so there isn't much of a choice there unless someone is hurt. Ice the best lineup you can. Full stop. Even if players are having slumps, it doesn't actually help them to sit in the press box and watch, and it just hurts the team when you dress players who aren't contributing.

Woodcroft should have learned that the hard way last spring when he dressed Archibald in so many playoff games, just so the guy could get scored on every night and contribute zero else other than the occasional hit.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816292 is a reply to message #816289 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 11:58

The coach should not at any point be making even a single decision based on how much any player is getting paid. It doesn't matter - the job is to ice the best roster, not the one that's the most fiscally responsible. It doesn't save the team one red cent to scratch a more expensive guy in favour of a cheaper one.

The only thing Woodcroft should be thinking about is who makes his team the best team he can ice. Puljujarvi and McLeod's production has been disappointing this year, but they're better than all of Foegele, Shore and Janmark, so there isn't much of a choice there unless someone is hurt. Ice the best lineup you can. Full stop. Even if players are having slumps, it doesn't actually help them to sit in the press box and watch, and it just hurts the team when you dress players who aren't contributing.

Woodcroft should have learned that the hard way last spring when he dressed Archibald in so many playoff games, just so the guy could get scored on every night and contribute zero else other than the occasional hit.

I’ve missed you and so agree with this, Adam.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816294 is a reply to message #816289 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 11:58

So you don't feel a coaches expectation on what should be deemed an acceptable level of play should be impacted slightly based on the salary a player makes?

My comment has nothing to do with being fiscally responsible, it has everything to do with level of play. When you make 3 mill vs let's say 1.25, in my opinion, you are being paid that much more than the 1.25 mill player because you are supposed to be a better player. You are supposed to have some combination or all of be more skilled, score more, skate better, be better defensively, play on special teams, etc. Player X supposedly does these things better than player Y so that's why he is paid more. When Player X doesn't live up to his expectation, he's not doing his job properly so there should be consequences for that.

So JP, Yamo, Foegele are being paid to do certain things at a certain level which includes scoring and the team thinks they should do those things a lot better and more often than say Janmark which is why they are compensating those 3 way more than Janmark.

I feel the issue with the Oilers is there is zero accountability on the team and this has been the case for many years with different coaches. Guys don't play up to the level they should be at and there is little to no consequences. This applies to even the top guys. Now you can't scratch McD, Leon, Nuge, Nurse but you sure as hell could sit them for a shift or 2 when they make dumbass mistakes. McD, Leon, Nuge are all playing up to expectations and even exceeding them scoring wise but defensively, they aren't.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2023 12:38]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816299 is a reply to message #816294 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 12:32

So you don't feel a coaches expectation on what should be deemed an acceptable level of play should be impacted slightly based on the salary a player makes?

My comment has nothing to do with being fiscally responsible, it has everything to do with level of play. When you make 3 mill vs let's say 1.25, in my opinion, you are being paid that much more than the 1.25 mill player because you are supposed to be a better player. You are supposed to have some combination or all of be more skilled, score more, skate better, be better defensively, play on special teams, etc. Player X supposedly does these things better than player Y so that's why he is paid more. When Player X doesn't live up to his expectation, he's not doing his job properly so there should be consequences for that.

So JP, Yamo, Foegele are being paid to do certain things at a certain level which includes scoring and the team thinks they should do those things a lot better and more often than say Janmark which is why they are compensating those 3 way more than Janmark.

I feel the issue with the Oilers is there is zero accountability on the team and this has been the case for many years with different coaches. Guys don't play up to the level they should be at and there is little to no consequences. This applies to even the top guys. Now you can't scratch McD, Leon, Nuge, Nurse but you sure as hell could sit them for a shift or 2 when they make dumbass mistakes. McD, Leon, Nuge are all playing up to expectations and even exceeding them scoring wise but defensively, they aren't.

No. A coach should never have any focus at all on what a player makes. None. Zero. Zilch.
It is irrelevant and it may cause you to make bad decisions based on expectations, rather than what you're actually getting from a player.

We see teams do this all the time - and the Oilers are worse than most for it - in that they can't forget where a player was drafted, or what was surrendered to get him in a trade, or how much he is making and so they feel that that means he needs to be able to do X, Y or Z. That sets you up for an error. A guy is the third best winger on the team, but you expected he might be able to be the top guy, so you act as if that result is failure, benching him in favour of other lesser wingers, reducing his confidence and trade value.

A GM needs to think about where people fall in the salary chart because he needs to manage the cap, and he needs to learn from him mistakes - if you overpaid a guy based on one good season, then why - was it injuries that derailed him? Did you overvalue short-term results? Does your scouting/analytics department look at the wrong things? Understand that and you make less mistakes in the future. But you can't ignore the actual value of a player because you signed him for too much money, and it shouldn't immediately lead to a foolish liquidation of the player at bargain prices too if you don't have someone who's at least as good ready to fill the spot.

If you're the coach, the responsibility is ONLY to dress the best lineup. Yes, you measure performance, but you do that against capabilities and historical performance, not against salary. The guys in the roster should be the best players available in those roster spots. You should never dress some plug simply because he's cheaper, and he's almost got the same number of goals as that other guy despite that guy making more money. There's zero sense to it, and you're just hurting your team and it's chances to win if you dress inferior players.

By the way, our bottom six has been a black hole for so long, I think it's incredible to hear anyone suggest that maybe the best route out is to play less talented guys more...we need them to finally contribute.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816300 is a reply to message #816299 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Managers and coaches (and politicians, but whatever) get the behavior they incentivize. People know when a player or co-worker is being rewarded with promotion, pay, or opportunity because of their pedigree and not their performance. The inevitably causes a sense of settling inside of an organization. However, when managers reward the behavior they want to see (taking extra responsibility in the office, making good offensive reads while managing defensive duties) the workers take notice. The people being passed on the roster certainly notices and either corrects or is permanently passed.

I've worked for companies that do the former. The Oilers certainly exist in that category, both on and off the ice.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816303 is a reply to message #816299 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:18

No. A coach should never have any focus at all on what a player makes. None. Zero. Zilch.
It is irrelevant and it may cause you to make bad decisions based on expectations, rather than what you're actually getting from a player.

We see teams do this all the time - and the Oilers are worse than most for it - in that they can't forget where a player was drafted, or what was surrendered to get him in a trade, or how much he is making and so they feel that that means he needs to be able to do X, Y or Z. That sets you up for an error. A guy is the third best winger on the team, but you expected he might be able to be the top guy, so you act as if that result is failure, benching him in favour of other lesser wingers, reducing his confidence and trade value.

A GM needs to think about where people fall in the salary chart because he needs to manage the cap, and he needs to learn from him mistakes - if you overpaid a guy based on one good season, then why - was it injuries that derailed him? Did you overvalue short-term results? Does your scouting/analytics department look at the wrong things? Understand that and you make less mistakes in the future. But you can't ignore the actual value of a player because you signed him for too much money, and it shouldn't immediately lead to a foolish liquidation of the player at bargain prices too if you don't have someone who's at least as good ready to fill the spot.

If you're the coach, the responsibility is ONLY to dress the best lineup. Yes, you measure performance, but you do that against capabilities and historical performance, not against salary. The guys in the roster should be the best players available in those roster spots. You should never dress some plug simply because he's cheaper, and he's almost got the same number of goals as that other guy despite that guy making more money. There's zero sense to it, and you're just hurting your team and it's chances to win if you dress inferior players.

By the way, our bottom six has been a black hole for so long, I think it's incredible to hear anyone suggest that maybe the best route out is to play less talented guys more...we need them to finally contribute.

On the flip side, I think it's utterly incredible to hear someone dismiss a lack of results so easily under the "well he's talented so....". At some point in time paper talent only gets you so far and you need these so called talented guys to do something or else have some consequences. Shrugging your shoulders and just throwing a player out there letting him cruise around doing the same thing game after game there saying "Well he's more skilled..." doesn't lead to success. In the case of JP, they have played him in 41 games, many of which he's been with McD and they have got little to nothing. So what are odds if you keep doing what they are doing with him now, it will suddenly click in? Probably pretty low. So why not try a wake up call for a game or 2 and see what happens. What's the worse that can happen?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816308 is a reply to message #816303 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:36

On the flip side, I think it's utterly incredible to hear someone dismiss a lack of results so easily under the "well he's talented so....". At some point in time paper talent only gets you so far and you need these so called talented guys to do something or else have some consequences. Shrugging your shoulders and just throwing a player out there letting him cruise around doing the same thing game after game there saying "Well he's more skilled..." doesn't lead to success. In the case of JP, they have played him in 41 games, many of which he's been with McD and they have got little to nothing. So what are odds if you keep doing what they are doing with him now, it will suddenly click in? Probably pretty low. So why not try a wake up call for a game or 2 and see what happens. What's the worse that can happen?

See, you're still thinking of this in terms of goals and dollars, and those aren't the only things that should be considered.

If Janmark or Foegele were scoring in bunches on the third line, and Puljujarvi not putting up numbers in a top-six role, then I'd agree. Performance matters. But in reality, Janmark played a month straight in the top-six and had no points at all in that role. He's had a couple in more recent games, but he wasn't even getting shots when playing with McDavid or Draisaitl.

You have to look too at what else they do that helps their line be successful. Puljujarvi is decent defensively. He may be too conservative at times even. He's also a great forechecker and creates turnovers in the opposing zone. That's really valuable for McDavid or Draisaitl, because it increases time in the opposing end. Puljujarvi also manages to do it without taking a lot of penalties.

As for the healthy scratch wake-up call - it doesn't really exist. It's an old hockey myth that benchings build character or something, but that's not really how development works. And if your coach scratches you so that he can put Devin Shore or Brad Malone in to the lineup? Well, it's just hard to respect a decision like that. He's only making it harder for his team to win a game then.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816301 is a reply to message #816294 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Ethan Bear says hello.

The accountability issue is rampant among those not wearing 97, 29, 93, 18, 91, 56, 25, 5. One minor mistake and others get their ice time cut, told to sit while 97 or 29 take a shift in their spot. There is a pedestal that those numbers above get placed on. Anyone else better play mistake free hockey over their 6-10 minutes a night.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816304 is a reply to message #816301 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:32

Ethan Bear says hello.

The accountability issue is rampant among those not wearing 97, 29, 93, 18, 91, 56, 25, 5. One minor mistake and others get their ice time cut, told to sit while 97 or 29 take a shift in their spot. There is a pedestal that those numbers above get placed on. Anyone else better play mistake free hockey over their 6-10 minutes a night.

What the... Your post encouraged me to look up Bear. How does he have more points than Foegele? Lol

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816305 is a reply to message #816304 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:37

Ethan Bear says hello.

What the... Your post encouraged me to look up Bear. How does he have more points than Foegele? Lol

Got over Long Covid. Turns out, you shouldn't trade a decent right shot defenceman for a third line winger. Who knew?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816307 is a reply to message #816305 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:40

Ethan Bear says hello.

Got over Long Covid. Turns out, you shouldn't trade a decent right shot defenceman for a third line winger. Who knew?

Fogele has less than 9 points? I thought he was playing pretty well for a stretch this year.

I remember Bear getting scratched before Christmas, but I looked at his game log and it's pretty good. ~18 minutes per night and a plus player on a bad team with almost no PP time. Only the one scratch. No too shabby.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816313 is a reply to message #816305 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ethan Bear says hello.

"He wouldn't have figured it out here"™

"He needed to be dumped by the Oilers/others to figure what it takes to play in the NHL"™

Good thing Oilers trademarked these phrases for our exclusive use!

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2023 15:28]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816314 is a reply to message #816313 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 15:07

Ethan Bear says hello.

"He wouldn't have figured it out here"™

"He needed to be dumped by the Oilers/others to figure out how to play"™

Good thing Oilers trademarked these phrases for our exclusive use!

Keep those in the chamber for when JP, Bouchard, Holloway and Bourgault are all ultimately run outta town.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816306 is a reply to message #816304 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Ethan Bear says hello.

He’s been solid add for the Canucks. He and his 9 points would tie for 10th on the Oilers.. and he’s only played 29 games . It was a stupid trade then and is still a stupid trade now. His points per 60m is equal to Nurse’s starfish per shift rate.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816279 is a reply to message #816267 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Super musty game.

LA is the team ahead of the Oilers in the standings that I'd be targeting to catch. They're somehow worse than the Oilers at keeping the puck out of their net and don't score all that much. With Colorado and the improving Blues lurking below, they have to think about catching teams. With two games in hand on the Kings, they need to make this one count.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816291 is a reply to message #816264 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Let’s be honest. This team could have the Av’s third and fourth lines and we’d be saying the same things about them that we do our current fellers bc of the usage this team habitually deploys. Woodcroft lit a fire last year. But he’s no better than Tippett or TMac or Eakins (shudder) at this point. Say what you will about the GM, he’s a nut, he’s too passive, whatever. The org as a whole is just a mess.

Anyway. Just get this Musty win tonight. In regulation.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816296 is a reply to message #816291 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 12:03

I'm ok with an OT win. The important thing is getting the two points, moral victories and playing well doesn't work in this situation. I don't mind the rest of the division / conference being annoyed with the loser point.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816302 is a reply to message #816296 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 12:59

I'm ok with an OT win. The important thing is getting the two points, moral victories and playing well doesn't work in this situation. I don't mind the rest of the division / conference being annoyed with the loser point.

I’m resigned to the fact the oilers may (read will) miss playoffs but the fandom in me wants regulation wins against those we’re ‘chasing’ in the standings.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816309 is a reply to message #816302 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:33

I’m resigned to the fact the oilers may (read will) miss playoffs but the fandom in me wants regulation wins against those we’re ‘chasing’ in the standings.

Cheer for the drama Oscar. Trust me. It makes this team a lot more fun to watch. Imagine the seething in Calgary if the Oilers pass them AND the Kings gain a point. Good stuff.

It's wild that the Kraken have FIVE games in hand on the Kings. Who the heck is making this schedule?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816310 is a reply to message #816309 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:49

Cheer for the drama Oscar. Trust me. It makes this team a lot more fun to watch. Imagine the seething in Calgary if the Oilers pass them AND the Kings gain a point. Good stuff.

It's wild that the Kraken have FIVE games in hand on the Kings. Who the heck is making this schedule?

Oooh… an angle I did not think of! Yes. Yesss. Must OT Win.

The Kraken have been a surprise all year, so far. I can’t imagine they maintain that 3rd div spot.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816311 is a reply to message #816310 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:55

The Kraken have been a surprise all year, so far. I can’t imagine they maintain that 3rd div spot.

I think they're for real. Not a contender, but a playoff team. That defense is so good I'd take five of them on my team without question. That it includes two former Oilers and one Spruce Grove Saint ( angryfire ) makes it just a little worse. Their top 3 lines are also pretty ok. I just can't see Calgary, Edmonton, and two of St. Louis, Colorado or Minnesota passing them. Frankly, I can't see LA staying ahead of them. Seattle might host a playoff series.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816312 is a reply to message #816311 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:59

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:55

I think they're for real. Not a contender, but a playoff team. That defense is so good I'd take five of them on my team without question. That it includes two former Oilers and one Spruce Grove Saint ( angryfire ) makes it just a little worse. Their top 3 lines are also pretty ok. I just can't see Calgary, Edmonton, and two of St. Louis, Colorado or Minnesota passing them. Frankly, I can't see LA staying ahead of them. Seattle might host a playoff series.

Straight swap of d corps plus the Oilers 2023 1st. Get it done ‘Ol Dutch.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816293 is a reply to message #816264 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Per the Jack man

Kostin-McDavid-Yamamoto
McLeod-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-RNH-Janmark
Holloway-Ryan-Puljujarvi

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816315 is a reply to message #816293 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 12:32

Per the Jack man

Kostin-McDavid-Yamamoto
McLeod-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-RNH-Janmark
Holloway-Ryan-Puljujarvi

Since Woodcroft is pulling an Oprah and Giving everyone a shot on the top 6, when is it Holloway's turn?

I know in sport how hard it is to not defer to the best player on a line, but for everyone not named McDavid, Hyman, Nuge, Kane (when he returns) and Draisaitl ...take the shot when presented with the opportunity. Sometimes I think a veteran like Ryan might make a better top 6 player than our other options. At least Ryan will run with a scoring opportunity.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816316 is a reply to message #816315 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 15:12

Per the Jack man

Kostin-McDavid-Yamamoto
McLeod-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-RNH-Janmark
Holloway-Ryan-Puljujarvi

Since Woodcroft is pulling an Oprah and Giving everyone a shot on the top 6, when is it Holloway's turn?

I know in sport how hard it is to not defer to the best player on a line, but for everyone not named McDavid, Hyman, Nuge, Kane (when he returns) and Draisaitl ...take the shot when presented with the opportunity. Sometimes I think a veteran like Ryan might make a better top 6 player than our other options. At least Ryan will run with a scoring opportunity.

Holloway - Ryan - Pulju could be a sneaky good fourth line that's actually a third line because Nuge spends so much time playing big boy minutes with the PP1.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816319 is a reply to message #816316 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 15:22

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 15:12

Per the Jack man

Kostin-McDavid-Yamamoto
McLeod-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-RNH-Janmark
Holloway-Ryan-Puljujarvi

Holloway - Ryan - Pulju could be a sneaky good fourth line that's actually a third line because Nuge spends so much time playing big boy minutes with the PP1.

They will have ~8 mins to prove their quality

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816317 is a reply to message #816315 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 22:12

Per the Jack man

Kostin-McDavid-Yamamoto
McLeod-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-RNH-Janmark
Holloway-Ryan-Puljujarvi

WS wondering this too. Not sure what he has to do to be apart of the top 6

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816320 is a reply to message #816317 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Zuma is ready
https://i.postimg.cc/s274Mf7K/D0-CE5432-F455-4-AB5-91-B7-BD588-F16-B699.jpg

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816321 is a reply to message #816320 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Heading to Montreal in a month to watch the Oil. Looking to update my oilers apparel .... best site to purchase online?

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816324 is a reply to message #816321 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 18:57

Heading to Montreal in a month to watch the Oil. Looking to update my oilers apparel .... best site to purchase online?

I’d recommend starting an Onlyfans first to adequately afford this in todays economy.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42) [message #816329 is a reply to message #816321 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 20:45 Go to previous message

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 18:57

There's a giant new Oilers store just outside the rink...I haven't been in it yet, but it looks big. Lots of options.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42)
Next Topic:GDT: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca