This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816238]
Sat, 07 January 2023 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Colorado to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816244 is a reply to message #816238 ]
Sat, 07 January 2023 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Just a poorly officiated game. Constantly aware of Oilers PP and hesitant to call penalties against the opposition. Trying to find an even up call.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816246 is a reply to message #816244 ]
Sat, 07 January 2023 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Agreed. Officiating was sickening. Our puck luck was insane too. We should have won that ten times over

Oh well

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816247 is a reply to message #816244 ]
Sat, 07 January 2023 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Please fire Nurse directly at the sun. Terrible.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816248 is a reply to message #816244 ]
Sat, 07 January 2023 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 07 January 2023 22:49

Just a poorly officiated game. Constantly aware of Oilers PP and hesitant to call penalties against the opposition. Trying to find an even up call.

I agree, but also a gag job at ES. Avs cruised the neutral zone and the Oilers zone mostly with impunity. I lost count of the open looks the Avs had.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816249 is a reply to message #816248 ]
Sat, 07 January 2023 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

This team desperately requires a week-long bag skate.

McDavid and Hyman want to win so bad, and they're saddled with selfish and gutless players like Nurse, Drai and Bouchard. Leon had an absolutely terrible game tonight. Either he's fighting an injury still or he just can't move properly.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 January 2023 23:40]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816250 is a reply to message #816249 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Agreed

I just don’t know what the answer is right now. Goalie was amazing and we still lose. Ugh frustrating

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816258 is a reply to message #816249 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sat, 07 January 2023 23:37

McDavid and Hyman want to win so bad, and they're saddled with selfish and gutless players like Nurse, Drai and Bouchard. Leon had an absolutely terrible game tonight. Either he's fighting an injury still or he just can't move properly.

I don’t believe Nurse will get much better. He just doesn’t read the game well at all. And in short time, the athletic side of his package will start to fade. Oh but he’s punishing around the net. Is he? Nothing truly stands out to me. Tyson Barrie is probably my favourite blue liner now. I never would have guessed that a couple years ago.

I seen him taking hard hits to make passes last night. Good poise with the puck. A sense of urgency at the right times. Has a clue on the powerplay. He brings some nasty in the post season too. He is subject to bad reads at times, but is working on a 60 pt season. I think he’s worth every penny.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816260 is a reply to message #816258 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 06:22

HamBlaster wrote on Sat, 07 January 2023 23:37

I don’t believe Nurse will get much better. He just doesn’t read the game well at all. And in short time, the athletic side of his package will start to fade. Oh but he’s punishing around the net. Is he? Nothing truly stands out to me. Tyson Barrie is probably my favourite blue liner now. I never would have guessed that a couple years ago.

I seen him taking hard hits to make passes last night. Good poise with the puck. A sense of urgency at the right times. Has a clue on the powerplay. He brings some nasty in the post season too. He is subject to bad reads at times, but is working on a 60 pt season. I think he’s worth every penny.

You noticed too. Yeah Nurse is supposed to be our big, tough as nails defenseman.. but he has a hard time in physical board battles, as well as in front of the net.. he really struggles in those tasks.

Maybe he's not as strong as everyone assumed. Did he go vegan in the last few years?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816266 is a reply to message #816258 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 10:22

Tyson Barrie is probably my favourite blue liner now. I never would have guessed that a couple years ago.

Same here. From the games I've seen, I think he's having one of his best years ever. On pace to be close to his career high in points (and despite many cries to the contrary, yes points by a Dman are a good thing), and by my eye, seems to be playing the best defensive hockey I've ever seen him play. And more grit than ever. I think he had 0 before, so saying "more" is not saying much - but he does seem to have developed a bit of an edge.

Of course he's no Scott Stevens or even Drew Doughty - he does make mistakes in his own end sometimes and gets exposed now and then - but he would be a $10M guy if he didn't. For what he brings, I don't know if he's a "steal", but I think it's fair to say he's at least earning his salary.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816251 is a reply to message #816248 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Sorry for venting in a few consecutive posts, however I've seen this script play out way too many times.

I'm done with the garbage players that just continually fail and say all the things that seem like good things to say, but come out the next game and fail some more.

It's the F grade players that continually bring down this roster.

Nurse is a huge F. Bouchard is a double F. Woodcroft is coaching like an F right now.

Super unpopular opinion here, but if this is the way that Draisaitl is going to contribute to this team moving forward... trade his rear end and get some players that aren't selfish. If he's hurt, sit him. If he's taking BS penalties, sit him. No more of this one-legged Draisaitl. He might get some points, but he's a massive defensive liability.

Make some trades Holland. This team isn't a team, and won't do anything in the playoffs (if they manage to make it).

[Updated on: Sun, 08 January 2023 00:32]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816252 is a reply to message #816251 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Honestly didn't think Nurse was that bad tonight. Other then being deked out of his jock by MacKinnon which is forgivable I didn't notice him much. Which is a good thing.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816257 is a reply to message #816252 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 00:02

Honestly didn't think Nurse was that bad tonight. Other then being deked out of his jock by MacKinnon which is forgivable I didn't notice him much. Which is a good thing.

I don't think he got deked.. McKinnon just skated straight past him, Nurse just too slow to decide what he had to do and pivoted way too late.. it was one on two and let McKinnon have the space to shoot the gap, dumb positioning. JMHO.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816253 is a reply to message #816251 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 00:30

Make some trades Holland. This team isn't a team, and won't do anything in the playoffs (if they manage to make it).

Do you really Holland to make a trade to fix this team? Have you seen the team he put together in his fourth year in Edmonton. No, the team you see now is the team the Oilers will be ... even if trades are made.

As Oscar Gamble said, "They don't think the Oilers be like it is, but it do".

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816254 is a reply to message #816253 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 01:20

Do you really Holland to make a trade to fix this team? Have you seen the team he put together in his fourth year in Edmonton. No, the team you see now is the team the Oilers will be ... even if trades are made.

He always seemed to find a way to get deadline players on a often cap strapped Red Wing team. We really only need another top 4 d and a bottom six greybeard. Not outside the realm. Not like we need to land a top liner. We are still in good shape. Just need to iron some kinks out. Better puck luck we win this. Other then the third most of the avs chances were from outside the circles. We can build on this.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 January 2023 01:37]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816255 is a reply to message #816254 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 01:36

He always seemed to find a way to get deadline players on a often cap strapped Red Wing team. We really only need another top 4 d and a bottom six greybeard. Not outside the realm. Not like we need to land a top liner. We are still in good shape. Just need to iron some kinks out. Better puck luck we win this. Other then the third most of the avs chances were from outside the circles. We can build on this.

Anything done with the Red Wings is as irrelevant as the Oilers and their glory years.

Maybe something can be built on the current team, but not by Holland and not anytime soon. At least nothing I've seen suggests we're going to see anything other than a fun but flawed team.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816273 is a reply to message #816255 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 02:36

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 01:36

Anything done with the Red Wings is as irrelevant as the Oilers and their glory years.

Maybe something can be built on the current team, but not by Holland and not anytime soon. At least nothing I've seen suggests we're going to see anything other than a fun but flawed team.

Not to mention that the above belief is completely incorrect:

1) The Red Wings were never cash-strapped. They were one of the Have teams in the pre-cap era, and the owners have always had deep pockets. The reason for their decline is that they had given away years of first round picks and they no longer were getting gems in later rounds. The drafting in Holland's last 10 years there are certainly not amazing.

And as for his ability to do in-season trades? He's never had it. Here's his trade history for in-season deals:

Source: http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Ken_Hol land/138

1998 - Jamie Macoun & Dmitri Mironov - third pairing defencemen. Meh.
1999 - Chris Chelios, Bill Ranford, Wendel Clark, Ulf Samuelsson - Holland loves getting over the hill players. The only one that made any impact in Detroit was Chelios and it cost them a player and two firsts.
2000 - Todd Gill - another third pairing d-man.
2001 - Nothing.
2002 - Jiri Slegr - another depth d-man.
2003 - Jason Wooley (who?), Mathieu Schneider. Again, Schneider would be good for Detroit, but again pays a massive price. Sean Avery, Max Kuznetsov, a 1st and 2nd round pick.
2004 - Robert Lang - very low impact AND a high price as they give up Fleischmann and a 1st and 4th rd pick.
2006 - Cory Cross!? No wonder we beat them that year.
2007 - Kyle Calder (for Jason Williams), Todd Bertuzzi. Not a bad pickup and package wasn't bad (pick, conditional pick, Shawn Matthias), but well past his prime. Williams was better than Calder.
2008 - Francis Lemieux (???), Brad Stuart - Stuart is probably one of his better pickups. 2nd pairing d-man and it costs a 2nd and a 4th.
2009 - Nada
2010 - Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Riley Armstrong, Jordan Owens. A whole lot of who?
2011 - nothing
2012 - nothing
2013 - Not much, Traded away Kent Huskins for a conditional pick.
2014 - David Legwand. Typical Old Dutch deal here. Over pays (Jarnkrok, Eaves and a 3rd) for an aging player who barely moves the needle.
2015 - Erik Cole, Marek Zidlicky - play it again Sam. Ridiculous price for Cole (Two players and a 2nd round pick for a guy on his last legs)
2016 - Not much, trade away Jakub Kindl for a 6th rounder.
2017 - Sellers. Holland gets a 3rd round pick for Jurco, a 2nd and 3rd for Brendan Smith, a 3rd and a prospect for Vanek, a 6th for Steve Ott.
2018 - Still selling, with possibly the best deal of his career - Tatar for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Also Mrazek for a conditional 3rd and conditional 4th.
2019 - still selling - Nick Jensen for a 2nd and a prospect, Gustav Nyquist for a 2nd and conditional 3rd.

Post lock-out, he never made a really impactful trade for the Red Wings that helped their seasons and even when he could spend to his heart's content ahead of the lockout, he just tends to focus on really old players and usually overpays for them given what they can still provide.

With the Oilers? Well, we all know what impact players Mike Green, Derek Roy, Andreas Athanasiou, Dmitri Kulikov, Derick Brassard and Brett Kulak have been for this team. Holland has a little more pressure in Edmonton to make moves, so he does, although he hasn't shown himself to be particularly good under that pressure. He's given away a lot of assets, and all we have to show for it is a 4/5 defenceman. It's safe to say none of the moves have really impacted our team's fortunes. I do fear that for Holland, he too believes that this team just needs a little more experience, so he finds us another old player past his prime, and overpays to get him here.

He also is allergic to any kind of cap creativity, so expect either to see him blow a hole in another part of the roster by sending a useful player the other way, or to see him complain that he couldn't do much for deals because we're too close to the cap.

In short, there's no cavalry coming, not so long as Ken Holland is the GM.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816288 is a reply to message #816273 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just because it fits nicely with his miserable trade record, here's the highlights from Ken Holland's draft tenure post-lockout. I'll highlight the first round pick, and then anyone who's over 100 games.

No 1st round pick
Cory Emmerton #41 overall - 139 games
Shawn Matthias #47 - 551 games

Brendan Smith #27 - 610 games
Joakim Anderson #88 - 205 games

Tom McCollum #30 - 3 games.
Gustav Nyquist #121 - 691 games

No 1st round pick
Tomas Tatar #60 - 741 games
Andrej Nestrasil #75 - 128 games
Nick Jensen #150 - 450 games

Riley Sheahan #21 - 637 games*
Calle Jarnkrok #51 - 608 games
Peter Mrazek #141 - 309 games

No 1st round pick
Thomas Jurco #35 - 221 games*
Xavier Ouellet #48 - 178 games
Alan Quine #85 - 106 games

No 1st round pick
Martin Frk #49 - 124 games
Andreas Athanasiou #110 - 416 games*

Anthony Mantha #20 - 395 games
Tyler Bertuzzi #58 - 285 games
Mattias Janmark #79 - 447 games*

Dylan Larkin #15 - 541 games
Christoffer Ehn #106 - 114 games

Evgeny Svechnikov #19 - 146 games

Dennis Cholowski #20 - 115 games
Filip Hronek #53 - 283 games

Filip Zadina #6!! - 169 games
Joe Veleno #30 - 108 games

A couple of things struck me looking at this list, besides the obvious point that this isn't much to build a team around. First, he traded away most of the ones that turned out. Not much percolating and then becoming the team later on. And second, he still loves all these guys though! The asterisks are the guys who've become Oilers. Still time for us to go get Zadina and Hronek too!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816290 is a reply to message #816288 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I like Hronek, I'd be very ok with a trade for him. I can't imagine Y would let him go though. He actually did pretty well with Hronek, Svech, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Larkin. The Wings didn't, but those were good picks. 06-12 was Oilers bad.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816297 is a reply to message #816290 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 12:00

I like Hronek, I'd be very ok with a trade for him. I can't imagine Y would let him go though. He actually did pretty well with Hronek, Svech, Mantha, Bertuzzi, and Larkin. The Wings didn't, but those were good picks. 06-12 was Oilers bad.

Wrong Svech...that's the bad brother.

They're decent players, but there's just not a lot around them. And he traded Mantha for very little. I think just to get rid of a contract?

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816298 is a reply to message #816297 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 13:06

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 12:00

Wrong Svech...that's the bad brother.

They're decent players, but there's just not a lot around them. And he traded Mantha for very little. I think just to get rid of a contract?

Ha. I knew there was another Aho, but didn't know there was a brother Svech. Funny.

https://www.capfriendly.com/trades/players/anthony-mantha

Yeah, Yzerman traded Mantha for Vrana+. Saved 600k

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816261 is a reply to message #816251 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

The Dutchman has burdened this team with a soon-to-be grossly over-paid player in Nurse. The game of hockey is not rocket science and fans aren't stupid they have a good sense of value in today's marketplace. Unfortunately the salary this team will have to fork out starting next year will make it very difficult to be competitive. The Oil need to trade Nurse sooner than later if they hope to compete with teams who are more management savvy.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816262 is a reply to message #816261 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

This Nurse hate is stupid. I guess Oiler fans have deduced the biggest problem with this team is the guy leading in both plus minus and ice time. He's still our best defenseman. He isn't even having a bad year. On pace to match his career high in points. Munching minutes every night against the other teams top lines. Doesn't matter though. Any mistake he makes goes under the microscope and the good gets ignored. No wonder good free agents don't want to play in that dump. Toxic fans.

[Updated on: Sun, 08 January 2023 15:20]

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816263 is a reply to message #816262 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 14:18

This Nurse hate is stupid. I guess Oiler fans have deduced the biggest problem with this team is the guy leading in both plus minus and ice time. He's still our best defenseman. He isn't even having a bad year. On pace to match his career high in points. Munching minutes every night against the other teams top lines. Doesn't matter though. Any mistake he makes goes under the microscope and the good gets ignored. No wonder good free agents don't want to play in that dump. Toxic fans.

Yeap. He's struggling against the people he's competing against, but he's still the best option we have to go out there against the top lines. Until we have someone better to take the weight off him, not much to be done but hope he finds improvements.

Not the first top pair Dman burned by MacKinnon, won't be the last either.

Nothing we say or do will fix the contract.

If anything the toxicness is just gonna eat at the guys confidence and make him less focused/effective. It's fair to acknowledge where he's stumbling, but just stay away from doggie piling on it.

[Updated on: Mon, 09 January 2023 00:01]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816265 is a reply to message #816262 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I doubt Nurse reads Oilfans, so little risk any comments ever written here ran anyone out town. Oilers don't have toxic fans.
And if he did read it, if he were honest, he should agree with most of the criticism leveled. I couldn't care less about his points, its the GA's and defensive zone giveaways, simple defensive awareness that's at the core of his problems, and by extension, the Oilers winning percentage.
Contrary to popular opinion, no one "hates" Nurse, some just think he's playing crap hockey, which he is, he's not the only one, most of the defensemen are, but he's supposed to be the No.1 d-man, and wears an "A", plays the most minutes, hence the focus of criticism.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816270 is a reply to message #816265 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 02:18

I doubt Nurse reads Oilfans, so little risk any comments ever written here ran anyone out town. Oilers don't have toxic fans.
And if he did read it, if he were honest, he should agree with most of the criticism leveled. I couldn't care less about his points, its the GA's and defensive zone giveaways, simple defensive awareness that's at the core of his problems, and by extension, the Oilers winning percentage.
Contrary to popular opinion, no one "hates" Nurse, some just think he's playing crap hockey, which he is, he's not the only one, most of the defensemen are, but he's supposed to be the No.1 d-man, and wears an "A", plays the most minutes, hence the focus of criticism.

I would argue that every fan base has toxic fans. My co-worker is one of them, and I regularly ask him why he cheers for the Oilers.

I agree that Nurse will likely never read a page of Oilfans, although he should as we put up consistent GOLD. This is a general statement and not directed at anyone in particular, although a few people might recognize themselves in this statement, but many of the comments are NOT constructive or fair. "He's a bum", "Overpriced boat anchor", etc. Those comments are hyperbole, and people who are not critical thinkers just accept these statements to be true. Theses comments start on a forum, or Twitter and eventually when repeated enough they leak out into the general public and people start to believe this crap. Then you have some 12 year old kid who hears his Dad say this enough and starts to pump the message out to his buddies.

Nurse has warts in his game. He is still our best d-man and he is overpaid (not his fault). I am not sure if this is Darnell's ceiling, but if it is, then Holland needs to bring in better players to support the blue line. The 9.25 is a few million too much, but that a GM's job to work around bad contracts. Especially if the GM signed that deal.

My two cents.

Fans can vent, but I would never say anything about an athlete I would not say to their face.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816276 is a reply to message #816265 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

100% there are toxic Oilers fans. They're the ones who boo our own players because they're their favourite whipping boy thinking that will somehow help the team. They're the idiots who go up to guys in restaurants or grocery stores or bars to critique their play to their face. They're the ones who tag the player on twitter while calling them names or insulting them. They're the douchebags who send racist messages to Ethan Bear.

There are absolutely toxic fans out there. I hope no one here does any of those things, and so falls short of the definition, but there's no question that Edmonton has more than its fair share of those folks.

Honestly, I think all that smoke blown about how Edmonton is a smart hockey market where people really know the game has gone to a lot of fans' heads. There's some smart people here for sure - I mean, Edmonton is basically the birthplace of the hockey analytics movement, but Joe Fan isn't that smart or sophisticated and sadly there's a lot of them who think they are because they read Spector and Matheson religiously and listen to Stauffer most lunch hours.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816278 is a reply to message #816276 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 10:21

100% there are toxic Oilers fans. They're the ones who boo our own players because they're their favourite whipping boy thinking that will somehow help the team. They're the idiots who go up to guys in restaurants or grocery stores or bars to critique their play to their face. They're the ones who tag the player on twitter while calling them names or insulting them. They're the douchebags who send racist messages to Ethan Bear.

There are absolutely toxic fans out there. I hope no one here does any of those things, and so falls short of the definition, but there's no question that Edmonton has more than its fair share of those folks.

Honestly, I think all that smoke blown about how Edmonton is a smart hockey market where people really know the game has gone to a lot of fans' heads. There's some smart people here for sure - I mean, Edmonton is basically the birthplace of the hockey analytics movement, but Joe Fan isn't that smart or sophisticated and sadly there's a lot of them who think they are because they read Spector and Matheson religiously and listen to Stauffer most lunch hours.

There was a time when I was part of the problem. I booed the heck out of Tom Poti and Eric Comrie because I was a zealot Oilers fan. They were the bad guys for either not being as good as the Oilers said they should be or because they publicly spoke negatively about the organization. I was wrong and I've learned.

I do think toxic fans and specific incidents are used as a smokescreen to cover for the players and what the organization is going to do, but that's another conversation.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816281 is a reply to message #816278 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 10:40

There was a time when I was part of the problem. I booed the heck out of Tom Poti and Eric Comrie because I was a zealot Oilers fan. They were the bad guys for either not being as good as the Oilers said they should be or because they publicly spoke negatively about the organization. I was wrong and I've learned.

I do think toxic fans and specific incidents are used as a smokescreen to cover for the players and what the organization is going to do, but that's another conversation.

You're 100% right. The team loves to use the excuses of bad fan behaviour, or weather, or travel, or lack of things to do in the market, etc., etc., etc. when the real issue with attracting players to come here is the fact that almost everyone who does fails and never gets close to a championship, even with the great players and the owner willing to spend to the cap.

Toxic fans suck. But the media here is toxic too - which is worse for the players because they have to actually talk to those people regularly, and the management culture also is toxic - rife with nepotism, cronyism and incompetence, while completely insulating itself from consequences. Those are the bigger issues.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816287 is a reply to message #816281 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 10:48

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 09 January 2023 10:40

You're 100% right. The team loves to use the excuses of bad fan behaviour, or weather, or travel, or lack of things to do in the market, etc., etc., etc. when the real issue with attracting players to come here is the fact that almost everyone who does fails and never gets close to a championship, even with the great players and the owner willing to spend to the cap.

Toxic fans suck. But the media here is toxic too - which is worse for the players because they have to actually talk to those people regularly, and the management culture also is toxic - rife with nepotism, cronyism and incompetence, while completely insulating itself from consequences. Those are the bigger issues.

You mean the toxic management and media culture where players leaving town are often publicly blamed for the failures of the organization as a whole? You know, players who are going to other markets, in the small hockey world, full of other players the Oilers may want to acquire one day?

I can't remember which HOPE era player was talking about flying back to Edmonton from a Florida game on Spittin' Chicklet and getting home in time to hit a bar for last call. Travel and the weather isn't so bad in 2022 (or ~2014) when you've got private charters. The cyclical nature of losing or mediocrity still sucks though.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816410 is a reply to message #816287 ]
Tue, 10 January 2023 11:04 Go to previous message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Probably Omark. the others from HOPE were too good for that. icon_rolleyes

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816268 is a reply to message #816262 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 18:18

It is a bit over the top. For all those that say points for defencemen don't matter - sorry, but you're wrong. It absolutely does matter. Maybe not the most important thing, but very important nonetheless. He's currently tied for 9th in the NHL in ES points. Leads the team by a fair margin in +/-.

I don't think anyone, probably even Darnell, believe that his contract will be a bargain. But he's not a bad player. He makes mad plays sometimes, but he makes good ones more often.

I wish we could have gotten him for like $6-$6.5, but last summer was absolutely insane for Dman contracts.

Man - how much better would this D corps look with Larsson and a healthy Klefbom? What a kick in the junk.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816269 is a reply to message #816262 ]
Mon, 09 January 2023 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sun, 08 January 2023 15:18

I agree 100%. Just look at some of the comments here, saying there isn't a single dman worth keeping, that Draisaitl should be traded, etc. It's an embarrassing look for Oilers fans. They got beat by the defending cup champs, in OT, after ringing 2 off the cross bar. They're currently in a playoff spot, with players coming back and goaltending improving greatly after the first 20 games. Oilers could go 81-0-1 and there would still be people here crying about that's not good enough.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816256 is a reply to message #816238 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

2-0 lead going into the 3rd.. find a way (again) to cough it up for loss.

Same old refrain.. crap defense.
Not one D-man I'd consider a keeper. Nurse should be, but he still can't play smart hockey, that turnstile by McKinnon, he almost fell over, should have identified danger and pivoted well before that, thinks way too slow.

On top of that, too many forwards keep bringing the weak play along the D-zone boards.. all the time.

Costing them too many games.

No help in site.. no trade available that could be enough to change this defense enough.. they'd have to over pay to get marginal help.

McLeod is a major disappointment.. regressed.. avoids contact like the plague.. too many meaningless minutes.

One bright spot has been 55, he's showing some improvement.

Oh.. sorry, two bright spots.. Skinner played well, kept them in it after all the constant fire-drills in their own end.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #41) [message #816259 is a reply to message #816238 ]
Sun, 08 January 2023 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Felt like a continuation of the WCF. Close, but just not good enough.

Previous Topic:Oilers+ Service Launched
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #42)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca