F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish QuotesPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815059]
Wed, 07 December 2022 15:54 Go to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Man...this is not what you want to hear from a player. Suggesting that he has no confidence, and is struggling to find his spot, and wondering if he has what it takes to be successful.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-puljujarvi-unsur e-if-his-place-is-in-the-nhl-maybe-i-just-dont-have-it/

Holland's answers aren't exactly helpful, especially if he thinks Puljujarvi could be a trading chip. Basically says, it's a tough league and he doesn't know what Puljujarvi can do but maybe more shots from closer? Zero support for the player in those quotes, suggesting that he thinks Jesse is wrong in any of his assessments of himself.

Things just keep getting uglier here.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815061 is a reply to message #815059 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 15:54

Man...this is not what you want to hear from a player. Suggesting that he has no confidence, and is struggling to find his spot, and wondering if he has what it takes to be successful.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-puljujarvi-unsur e-if-his-place-is-in-the-nhl-maybe-i-just-dont-have-it/

Holland's answers aren't exactly helpful, especially if he thinks Puljujarvi could be a trading chip. Basically says, it's a tough league and he doesn't know what Puljujarvi can do but maybe more shots from closer? Zero support for the player in those quotes, suggesting that he thinks Jesse is wrong in any of his assessments of himself.

I am sure you will crucify me because I would dare not just automatically shred Holland but what exactly do you expect Holland to say? How many times has JP been fed with wide open looks by McD or Leon and he shoots it wide, over the net or fans on the shot? How many times has he been set up and he barely gets a shot off or floats it harmlessly into the goalies chest? I can't remember what game it was but it was maybe 3 or 4 games ago, he got sent in on what should have been a breakaway and he fell down at the opponents blueline.

I have never been the guy that thinks JP walked on water like some but I never thought it would be like this. I thought he was a 3rd liner that for a short time he could play up and he wouldn't kill you but he would be good to get 15 goals. At this point, I'd be stunned if he got even 10. Seriously, what can anyone say to that? How do you prop up the value of a player with 1 goal who can't even score when McD sets you up for open net tap ins. He's literally missed wide open nets.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2022 16:16]

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815063 is a reply to message #815061 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 16:13

I am sure you will crucify me because I would dare not just automatically shred Holland but what exactly do you expect Holland to say? How many times has JP been fed with wide open looks by McD or Leon and he shoots it wide, over the net or fans on the shot? How many times has he been set up and he barely gets a shot off or floats it harmlessly into the goalies chest? I can't remember what game it was but it was maybe 3 or 4 games ago, he got sent in on what should have been a breakaway and he fell down at the opponents blueline.

I have never been the guy that thinks JP walked on water like some but I never thought it would be like this. I thought he was a 3rd liner that for a short time he could play up and he wouldn't kill you but he would be good to get 15 goals. At this point, I'd be stunned if he got even 10. Seriously, what can anyone say to that? How do you prop up the value of a player with 1 goal who can't even score when McD sets you up for open net tap ins. He's literally missed wide open nets.

"I think Jesse is being too hard on himself. He's a guy who's shown he can produce points in the NHL at a greater level than what we are seeing right now. He's doing the right things, and we do think he's shown more responsibility in his game. I might want to see him work on getting more chances from in-tight, and I know he and the coaches are working on that, but like any player in a bit of a slump, it's all about the process. You keep doing the right things, and eventually the puck will start going in again."

The words "I don't really have a solution" would never leave my lips.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815070 is a reply to message #815063 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

That's a legitimately great reply that was available to Holland, and like you I am disappointed he didn't go there. It's a great reply, but also not a difficult reply - it's pretty basic and easy to arrive at. *sigh*

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815077 is a reply to message #815070 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

AndersonRules wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 19:41

That's a legitimately great reply that was available to Holland, and like you I am disappointed he didn't go there. It's a great reply, but also not a difficult reply - it's pretty basic and easy to arrive at. *sigh*

Took me all of about 20 seconds to type it out. It required no thinking at all.

The problem is that we have multiple struggling players right now. Is Holland’s response the same for Jack Campbell’s issues?

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815072 is a reply to message #815063 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 16:40

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 16:13

"I think Jesse is being too hard on himself. He's a guy who's shown he can produce points in the NHL at a greater level than what we are seeing right now. He's doing the right things, and we do think he's shown more responsibility in his game. I might want to see him work on getting more chances from in-tight, and I know he and the coaches are working on that, but like any player in a bit of a slump, it's all about the process. You keep doing the right things, and eventually the puck will start going in again."

The words "I don't really have a solution" would never leave my lips.

I couldn’t agree more. What a dumbass thing to say to the hockey world as a General Manager. I’m sure it really didn’t alienate the player too much either. Good grief. I’m not sure Nicholson could have done much worse himself here.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815113 is a reply to message #815072 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

But how could the rest of the NHL know that we're willing to trade him if Holland didn't let them know. You guys just aren't thinking like an 'OILERS' GM. You want competence? Not here my friend!

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815065 is a reply to message #815059 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I've never seen such sad quotes from a hockey player.

He's very introspective and that takes a lot of maturity. So sad that the media has spent the last 6 months carving him.

Clean house or bust

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815066 is a reply to message #815065 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Guy just seems like he's drowning and needs a life preserver. I'd love for it to happen here, but might just need a new situation to reboot himself.

I bet if he had a time machine, he would have been willing to spend time in the AHL to get his feet under him far away from the microscope.

Sticky contract negotiations. Language barrier. Not being able to get things rolling. Poor guy really is drowning and can't find anything to grab hold of.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2022 19:33]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815078 is a reply to message #815065 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 19:09

He's very introspective and that takes a lot of maturity. So sad that the media has spent the last 6 months carving him.

Better not leave Jesse and Campbell in the same bathroom with a tub of water and a toaster. I get being hard on yourself, but fake it until you make it.

As for Holland? What a dolt. His players are assets. His players are human. Most of them being young and fragile. Be a leader.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815082 is a reply to message #815078 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 20:26

As for Holland? What a dolt. His players are assets. His players are human. Most of them being young and fragile. Be a leader.

Holland was an easy hire, not a good one. This team hasn’t had a good GM since Sather. It’s been the bane of this organization. Not a clue how to build. Still.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815086 is a reply to message #815082 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 21:07

Holland was an easy hire, not a good one. This team hasn’t had a good GM since Sather. It’s been the bane of this organization. Not a clue how to build. Still.

Worth remembering how that hire came about. Nicholson bemoaned the fact they'd never had an actual hiring process in any of the GM hirings so completely embarrasses the franchise by polling competitors on what attributes they'd want to see in an Oilers GM. Then as he's building a list of potential candidates, he learns that Holland might be available and abandons the process he just talked up in order to prostrate themselves in front of a guy who hadn't done anything right in a decade, making him the highest paid GM in the game.

Idiot.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815093 is a reply to message #815086 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 21:39

Worth remembering how that hire came about. Nicholson bemoaned the fact they'd never had an actual hiring process in any of the GM hirings so completely embarrasses the franchise by polling competitors on what attributes they'd want to see in an Oilers GM. Then as he's building a list of potential candidates, he learns that Holland might be available and abandons the process he just talked up in order to prostrate themselves in front of a guy who hadn't done anything right in a decade, making him the highest paid GM in the game.

Idiot.

Oh yes, who can forget the GM meeting in Florida. You could open your window and hear palms hitting foreheads in Edmonton for days. Bobby was in “Look at me Larry” mode for the Oiler faithful that week and ended up revealing just how incompetent he actually is.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815094 is a reply to message #815093 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 22:08

Idiot.

Oh yes, who can forget the GM meeting in Florida. You could open your window and hear palms hitting foreheads in Edmonton for days. Bobby was in “Look at me Larry” mode for the Oiler faithful that week and ended up revealing just how incompetent he actually is.

And here we are, three and a half years and a couple rape funds later, and Bob Nicholson still collects cheques from the Edmonton Oilers for quaffing down Wayne Gretzky wine by the gallon and doing little else of any value.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815099 is a reply to message #815094 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 22:11

Idiot.

And here we are, three and a half years and a couple rape funds later, and Bob Nicholson still collects cheques from the Edmonton Oilers for quaffing down Wayne Gretzky wine by the gallon and doing little else of any value.

The weird Nicholson presser with Katz on the left side of the camera frame when he looked shockingly disfigured and hadn’t washed his hair in a month. Distraction factor or something. Maybe he just felt he had to be part of the action. I had forgotten what the presser was about 10 minutes after it ended.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2022 22:31]

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815120 is a reply to message #815099 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 22:23

Adam wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 22:11

Idiot.

The weird Nicholson presser with Katz on the left side of the camera frame when he looked shockingly disfigured and hadn’t washed his hair in a month. Distraction factor or something. Maybe he just felt he had to be part of the action. I had forgotten what the presser was about 10 minutes after it ended.

That's some 4D Chess at work, my friend. How can you focus on bad management when you're also looking at really bad hair! One problem at a time!

I once had a guy who worked for me who was terribly incompetent but also had hair so bad that my wife asked if I was going to say something to him about it. He was going bald really young, so had just created this weird swirl thing that climbed several inches off his scalp. I deferred on commenting on his hair to him, saying that was the job of his buddies or a future girlfriend. However, it also took me way too long to decide we needed to fire him, so maybe he, like Nicholson, had figured out the art of distraction.

Although, Mark Spector's hair is perfectly normal, and he's still here writing hatchet pieces like this, and I haven't seen Holland's hair discombobulated either, so maybe there's lots of ways for incompetent people to survive way too long in their jobs.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815138 is a reply to message #815082 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 07 December 2022 20:07

GMs don't lead the players. They bring players and coaches in and move them out. And figure out who to do what with.

That's a coaching and fellow player thing to step in if Puljujarvi is drowning.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815139 is a reply to message #815138 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 12:28

GMs don't lead the players. They bring players and coaches in and move them out. And figure out who to do what with.

Sink or swim at this point. He's not a rookie anymore. He needs to either figure it out or we got to move on.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815155 is a reply to message #815138 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

You have to think burying him in the media isn't really a GM thing either though, eh?

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815156 is a reply to message #815155 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 13:50

You have to think burying him in the media isn't really a GM thing either though, eh?

He pretty much buried himself in the media with this stuff.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815160 is a reply to message #815156 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 13:54

Do you really believe the GM should be shovelling on more dirt?

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815170 is a reply to message #815160 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 14:12

Only if shooting himself in the foot is his goal. It was stupid. “Hey Mr salesman, why does this motor have a ticking sound? Yeah I don’t know. Ok thanks.”

Too bad it wasn’t old Kenny boy that drafted him. I doubt we would be seeing the public shoulder shrug.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815203 is a reply to message #815160 ]
Fri, 09 December 2022 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 14:12

No I think the GM got it right. Sometimes you need a pat on the back. Sometimes you need a boot in the ass.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 December 2022 15:26]

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815236 is a reply to message #815203 ]
Sat, 10 December 2022 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Agreed.

Try to understand Holland’s perspective. He is has gone out his way to help Puljujarvi multiple times, given him the benefit of the doubt, and given him opportunities. In return he gets no gratitude and moodiness. Then Puljujarvi speaks out yet again about his dire straits. Put yourself in Hollands shoes. You would be pissed off at Puljujarvi, and rightfully so. Probably would have been best to stay silent, but I don’t fault him for the reaction.

I don’t see value in providing a template BS response when everyone knows it’s BS.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2022 10:59]

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815237 is a reply to message #815236 ]
Sat, 10 December 2022 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Steve wrote on Sat, 10 December 2022 09:53

Agreed.

Try to understand Holland’s perspective. He is has gone out his way to help Puljujarvi multiple times, given him the benefit of the doubt, and given him opportunities. In return he gets no gratitude and moodiness. Then Puljujarvi speaks out yet again about his dire straits. Put yourself in Hollands shoes. You would be pissed off at Puljujarvi, and rightfully so. Probably would have been best to stay silent, but I don’t fault him for the reaction.

I don’t see value in providing a template BS response when everyone knows it’s BS.

I contest the notion that Holland has gone out of his way to help him.

Look at Mark Spector's twitter and line of questioning on Puljujarvi over the last 6 months. There is a pretty clear target on his back. Holland has not once vehemently defended his player. And Spector isn't the only one.

He's allowed this obsessive targeting to happen without any attempt to shut them up. And now we wonder why a player who got clearly singled out has no confidence.

I think Holland has only done what is convenient in his whole tenure here. And it was convenient to bring a 4th overall pick back from Finland, but I'd hardly call that going out of his way to help the guy.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 December 2022 12:07]

Clean house or bust

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815240 is a reply to message #815236 ]
Sun, 11 December 2022 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Steve wrote on Sat, 10 December 2022 10:53

Agreed.

I don’t see the value of treating a trading chip like you’re at a total loss at what’s wrong with it. That’s the ultimate anti-value. And who are any of us to say he hasn’t shown gratitude? Because of a couple foreign interviews over his tenure here? I guess the guy has never expressed anything behind closed doors.

Sorry, but precanned responses are the only option right now. The coach got it right the other night when answering Stauffer. “Jesse has the confidence of his coaching staff and his team mates. If he continues putting himself in the tough areas and working he will have success.” Even if it is BS, it’s better than shrugging to Stauffer. Better for everyone right now. Adam is correct. Holland had an opportunity at least keep things positive and he made it worse. On the trade front and for the player.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815167 is a reply to message #815155 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 19:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 12:50

I read/interpreted nothing in the article that was burying Puljujarvi from Holland. He was being objective and honest and fair in the same way Ferraro was on commentary. And he's right, this isn't a developmental league.

But no personal daggers thrown at him, atleast that I interpreted. Unlike Spec/Matheson who goes out of their way to point out all of PJ's flaws every chance they get.

The only thing Holland hinted at was he feels Puljujarvi should have went to the minors to develop, harkening back to his contract disagreements about only wanting to play with the Oilers or he'd leave for Europe.

And I agree with Holland, PJ should have gone to the AHL to develop, not trying to hang on to an NHL roster space.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2022 19:20]

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815171 is a reply to message #815167 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 19:18

Adam wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 12:50

I read/interpreted nothing in the article that was burying Puljujarvi from Holland. He was being objective and honest and fair in the same way Ferraro was on commentary. And he's right, this isn't a developmental league.

But no personal daggers thrown at him, atleast that I interpreted. Unlike Spec/Matheson who goes out of their way to point out all of PJ's flaws every chance they get.

The only thing Holland hinted at was he feels Puljujarvi should have went to the minors to develop, harkening back to his contract disagreements about only wanting to play with the Oilers or he'd leave for Europe.

And I agree with Holland, PJ should have gone to the AHL to develop, not trying to hang on to an NHL roster space.

In November 2018 there was a short lived plan to keep him in Bako the rest of that season, but Hitch got hired and talked Pete into bringing him back after 4 games.

Fail.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815174 is a reply to message #815138 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I disagree. The top people in your organization need to be leaders in order to build a culture throughout. If you are broken up top, you’re likely broken everywhere else.

Why is it that this club continues to fail every year even though they have so many great assets. There is something in the water. Not a doubt in my mind.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815098 is a reply to message #815059 ]
Wed, 07 December 2022 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

What an absolute bummer season for Jesse. Confidence is probably lower than Campbell. His ability to finish has probably diminished every year he's been here. Looking dire for his career in Edmonton if something can't be figured out soon. May end up signing a league min deal with a team be has some friends on.

This is definitely not an org for guys that aren't self starters. Getting in a zero confidence zone is usually the end of your Oilers career, unless you have a boat anchor contract and we can't afford to unload you. Some guys find a place they can get it back.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2022 22:23]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815131 is a reply to message #815098 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I think if Nurse had a better social media presence, posted a few videos of him signing songs while working out, posted a few pictures of him posed with animals, jumping in a car with random fans, his haters would like him more.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815133 is a reply to message #815131 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Jeez boy. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and work your way out of this. Stop making excuses. Stop blaming others. Grab your nuts and throw a hit or two. Try getting into traffic. That would be my private message to Pulu. Bad enough he plays the perimeter with no clue how to use his size. Maybe he's too much of a pussy for the NHL.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815134 is a reply to message #815133 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 12:04

Jeez boy. Quit feeling sorry for yourself and work your way out of this. Stop making excuses. Stop blaming others. Grab your nuts and throw a hit or two. Try getting into traffic. That would be my private message to Pulu. Bad enough he plays the perimeter with no clue how to use his size. Maybe he's too much of a pussy for the NHL.

Tell us you read the article without reading the article!

He absolutely blames no one else but himself, although he's really hard on himself. One of his silver linings is that he leads the team in hits.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815137 is a reply to message #815134 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 12:16

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 12:04

Tell us you read the article without reading the article!

He absolutely blames no one else but himself, although he's really hard on himself. One of his silver linings is that he leads the team in hits.

He's always doing this crap. Remember a few seasons ago. This to me reads like " I'm trying so hard. Nothing ever works for me. I don't know what's wrong. They wont help me figure it out" . Cut the pity party crap. I think we have a new nick name. Forget Pool Party. We got Pity Party.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815153 is a reply to message #815137 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

I get the numbers that he drives play, I do. He is wonderful at maintaining the cycle. Great at forechecking. But I'm tired of the parade of supporters that think this guy will be a top 6. Let's settle for him being an energy guy and is hard on forecheck. Still amazes me no one's has got him to try a shorter stick.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815163 is a reply to message #815153 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Take a step back though, consistently, his line carries the play forward, same as last year. Doesn't matter who his line-mates are, the play progresses towards the other teams net. Top line, second line, 3rd line, always moving forward. Perhaps the best spot for him is 3rd/4th but increase their minutes! Play the superstars less so they have more to give when they're on.
To me he falls almost into the same category as Nuge did last year. What did he get, something absurd like 23 assists before getting a goal? I remember he said in an interview he wasn't sure if he was in a slump or not.
Just because you're not the one putting the puck in the net doesn't mean you're not effective. Maybe he shouldn't be a top line winger, but mid 6 reliably for sure. Especially second line if you shuffle Leon up to Connor.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815168 is a reply to message #815163 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

I agree with ya! Well written post!

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815172 is a reply to message #815163 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 14:22

Take a step back though, consistently, his line carries the play forward, same as last year. Doesn't matter who his line-mates are, the play progresses towards the other teams net. Top line, second line, 3rd line, always moving forward. Perhaps the best spot for him is 3rd/4th but increase their minutes! Play the superstars less so they have more to give when they're on.
To me he falls almost into the same category as Nuge did last year. What did he get, something absurd like 23 assists before getting a goal? I remember he said in an interview he wasn't sure if he was in a slump or not.
Just because you're not the one putting the puck in the net doesn't mean you're not effective. Maybe he shouldn't be a top line winger, but mid 6 reliably for sure. Especially second line if you shuffle Leon up to Connor.

Good post. Many 3rd liners carve out long prosperous careers. I feel JP can still be that guy.

It won’t happen here though. There’s a bit of blood on everyone’s hands imo.

I think Jesse needed better advice outside the Oilers. I think Jesse needed a bit more support inside the Oilers. (I’m not talking about ice time) These interviews have helped nobody. I believe a portion of JP’s expectations come from poor guidance.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815173 is a reply to message #815172 ]
Thu, 08 December 2022 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 19:18

Good post. Many 3rd liners carve out long prosperous careers. I feel JP can still be that guy.

I think Jesse needed better advice outside the Oilers. I think Jesse needed a bit more support inside the Oilers. (I’m not talking about ice time) These interviews have helped nobody. I believe a portion of JP’s expectations come from poor guidance.

I whole hearted agree on this. There’s been clips of Kane and McDavid and Drai working with or chatting with him on stuff. But it seems like too little too late.

Again with this team, and beyond PJ, is not having consistent veteran leadership with the experience to mentor and integrate people. Not just sink or swim.

Re: Puljujarvi Article w/ Finnish Quotes [message #815176 is a reply to message #815172 ]
Fri, 09 December 2022 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 08 December 2022 23:18

FWIW I've been pretty happy with JP's play this season. He's great at forcing turnovers and keeping the puck in the zone. Seems to have added a bit of chippiness to his game too, which I attribute to Kane mentoring him a bit.

Yeah the points haven't been coming for him, which gives certain journalists their talking points about how he "needs to be better" but we have scored a ton of goals this year as a result of him turning the puck over or keeping the play alive. He's not getting the assist, as there have been too many others making the passes, but they would never have had the puck to make those passes had it not been for his hard work retrieving the puck in the first place.

He's been absolutely robbed by lights out saves on several of his shot attempts too.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Worst Oilers season ticket experiences???
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #30)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca