Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Florida to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814622 is a reply to message #814618 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Bouch Bombs are life

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814623 is a reply to message #814618 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

That was fun. A deserved 2 points.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814624 is a reply to message #814623 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

RIP to all the people who left early to avoid traffic or changed channels

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814627 is a reply to message #814624 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen is currently online Suomalainen

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 28 November 2022 22:21

RIP to all the people who left early to avoid traffic or changed channels

My ESPN+ stream froze right after the last faceoff of regulation, so I missed the tying one. So that makes it three wins in a row where I tune in to see them win...

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814625 is a reply to message #814618 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Fun game overall, good win against a decent team.
I mentioned it in the GDT but a decent game defensively. A couple bad, not terrible icon_wink defensive plays ended up in the net but I thought the Oilers were the better team.

Even in a different in jersey it is nice to beat the turtle.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814626 is a reply to message #814618 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

That ‘bum’ Nurse stayed in the play during OT and made a great pass. I’ll forgive the early miscue.

Oil blueline is not very good, but they’d be hot garbage without 25. The vitriol is focused on the wrong guy. Reminds me of the same BS Horcoff faced.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814628 is a reply to message #814626 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 28 November 2022 22:29

That ‘bum’ Nurse stayed in the play during OT and made a great pass. I’ll forgive the early miscue.

Oil blueline is not very good, but they’d be hot garbage without 25. The vitriol is focused on the wrong guy. Reminds me of the same BS Horcoff faced.

He is one of the better options in OT for sure. Been that way for a while.

This is one of those games I wish I attended. Wow.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814629 is a reply to message #814626 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

This is pointed towards me. I never turned on Horc, was a huge fan of his responsible game. Nurse made a nice stretch pass in OT. I still maintain he is not top 20 D in the league.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814635 is a reply to message #814629 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Mon, 28 November 2022 22:33

This is pointed towards me. I never turned on Horc, was a huge fan of his responsible game. Nurse made a nice stretch pass in OT. I still maintain he is not top 20 D in the league.

I have no idea on your views of Horcoff, but a good chunk of the fan base hated on him because he was overpaid. There is a parallel.

Hate the GM if you don’t like the contract. You can never blame the player for accepting a contract. It’s not like Nurse held Edmonton over a barrel. Nurse is a 6.5/7.0 dman. He’s just fortunate enough to make a heckuva lot more money because of years and years of bad management.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814637 is a reply to message #814635 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

There are many players North of 5 mill that are altogether crap and won't win when it matters and I wouldn't want them on my team. Your argument is based on I hate him bc of salary, no I hate his constant miscues. End to end rushes that quickly lead to odd man the other way. Failing to clear the crease. Ill timed penalties....I can go on all day.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814641 is a reply to message #814637 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

i don't think you can. I think that's all you can say.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814649 is a reply to message #814637 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 04:41

There are many players North of 5 mill that are altogether crap and won't win when it matters and I wouldn't want them on my team. Your argument is based on I hate him bc of salary, no I hate his constant miscues. End to end rushes that quickly lead to odd man the other way. Failing to clear the crease. Ill timed penalties....I can go on all day.

I cannot imagine what you are holding back on the rest of that blue line. Is it just easier to crap on Nurse when the whole defense is fighting to be average?

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814645 is a reply to message #814629 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Mon, 28 November 2022 22:33

If Oilers fans were encouraged to boo off every defenceman who wasn't a Top-20 guy in the league, we wouldn't have a defence corps at all.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814630 is a reply to message #814618 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

What a damn rollercoaster. Get the lead, can't close the deal, go down one....then I was shovelling dirt on the boys when they lost the challenge with 4 min or whatever left....but damned if Bouchard didn't miss a skate or shinpad once again, and put another big big goal in. The boys shook off the dirt, crawled out of the hole....and the rest, as they say, is history.

Connor in the post game room scrum isn't impressed with their play...yeah, these guys still have a ways to go as a team.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814632 is a reply to message #814630 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 28 November 2022 22:37

Connor in the post game room scrum isn't impressed with their play...yeah, these guys still have a ways to go as a team.

I see Matheson is picking up the slack for TJ in the dumb question dept.

Connor mentions how Leo and he like 2 on 1 break aways together. So Jimbo, like a work experience student has a follow up question asking why he likes the 2 on 1 with Leon. Connor gave a smirky answer. I can’t even recall as I was riddled in douche chills.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814646 is a reply to message #814632 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 28 November 2022 23:03

Connor mentions how Leo and he like 2 on 1 break aways together. So Jimbo, like a work experience student has a follow up question asking why he likes the 2 on 1 with Leon. Connor gave a smirky answer. I can’t even recall as I was riddled in douche chills.

Why is Matheson even allowed in scrums? It's pretty clear that he too was laid off by the Journal, so why let him in the room? He's like that guy with the stapler in Office Space at this point.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/i_WPlktNRZws1VjjJCBBfQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTY0MDtoPTM0NA--/https://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/5faca1fbb71913f40c3e50cb90f6e511

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814653 is a reply to message #814646 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 16:56

g2k wrote on Mon, 28 November 2022 23:03

Why is Matheson even allowed in scrums? It's pretty clear that he too was laid off by the Journal, so why let him in the room? He's like that guy with the stapler in Office Space at this point.

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/i_WPlktNRZws1VjjJCBBfQ--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTY0MDtoPTM0NA--/https://media.zenfs.com/en/homerun/feed_manager_auto_publish_494/5faca1fbb71913f40c3e50cb90f6e511

Lmao!

Don't touch my stapler.... I'll burn this place to the ground!

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814634 is a reply to message #814630 ]
Mon, 28 November 2022 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 28 November 2022 23:37

What a damn rollercoaster. Get the lead, can't close the deal, go down one....then I was shovelling dirt on the boys when they lost the challenge with 4 min or whatever left....but damned if Bouchard didn't miss a skate or shinpad once again, and put another big big goal in. The boys shook off the dirt, crawled out of the hole....and the rest, as they say, is history.

Thrilling win...but must I ask...why does it always have to come down to excessive drama like this? Esp after having multiple opportunities to put away an easy tilt....(sorry for the negativity)

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814636 is a reply to message #814634 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I like this version of Bouchard

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814638 is a reply to message #814636 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Bouch with three goals in two games

Did not see that coming, I won’t lie folks

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814639 is a reply to message #814630 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 05:37

The good news is we are finding ways to score the last couple games. Bouchard has really turned his game on and provided depth. Defense seems to have tightened up more as we aren’t allowing nearly 40 shots on our goalie each game. Skinner was solid last night too

Thursday will be a HUGE test. Wild have had our number for a while now, and they are hot right now.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814640 is a reply to message #814639 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 07:26

The good news is we are finding ways to score the last couple games. Bouchard has really turned his game on and provided depth. Defense seems to have tightened up more as we aren’t allowing nearly 40 shots on our goalie each game. Skinner was solid last night too

Thursday will be a HUGE test. Wild have had our number for a while now, and they are hot right now.

I'd say Wednesday in Chicago will be tough too. Hawks are sloppy defensively but they can put up points at will...and if the Oilers start half asleep, that could be a doozy.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814642 is a reply to message #814640 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 14:16

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 07:26

I'd say Wednesday in Chicago will be tough too. Hawks are sloppy defensively but they can put up points at will...and if the Oilers start half asleep, that could be a doozy.

Forgive my ignorance, I didn't even realize we play on Wednesday... Holy smokes, and yes that will be a tough game.

Hawks have lost seven in a row, they will be looking for a rebound game and The Oilers always seem fitting to lose those type of games... And then a back to back with a hot Minnesota Wild team. Hopefully we can take at least one of those two... Chicago looking like the more realistic possibility.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814643 is a reply to message #814642 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I am glad they won as they outplayed Florida but Knight was unreal. Well deserved 2 points.

I thought Broberg looked a bit better than his first game back.

Hyman is just a pleasure to watch. I wish some of his work ethic would rub off on a few players.

Bouchard looks like a different dman since scoring. Not that I am one of the guys who thinks he's terrible, I am the opposite but he looked relieved to get a couple.

It was 1 game and maybe he was just going on adrenalin but I liked Hamblin. He was buzzing around and every shift he's going after them.

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2022 08:47]

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814647 is a reply to message #814643 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Full disclosure, I think Nurse brings a ton of value to the team. I think he gets WAY too much criticism and wonder if some of it isn't hockey related. I agree that while he got market value at the time of his contract, it's too much. He in my opinion should probably be making in the 8 range.

When I see some fan go off on a tangent about Nurse and how terrible he is and how they need to get rid of them, I don't pay much attention to it nor do I think that person knows what they are talking about. However, my ultimate goal for the Oilers is to improve and win a cup. So as much as I like Nurse and what he brings, if trading Nurse allows them to improve the defense so they can win a cup, the only 2 players I see as untouchable are McD and Leon, so I will entertain a Nurse trade. If the Oilers trade Nurse, that means they are upgrading his spot. So who are they getting to replace him?

The guy they get to replace Nurse has to do the following because this is what Nurse does for the Oilers and if you are trading Nurse, the replacement has to be better at all of these than Nurse. Nurses stats are 22 games, 3 goals, 12 pts, +4, 23:46 per night. 0.57 PP, 2.44 PK:

- Be able to play 23+ mins against the other teams best players all the time every shift. Many games he will exceed 23 mins so the replacement has to be capable of doing that.
- Be able to score 10+ goals and 40+ pts minimum every year and score that primarily 5 on 5. That's what Nurse puts up yearly. He was on pace for 10 goals 40 pts last year, he's on pace for 11- 45 this year and he's done that multiple times in his career. The Oilers have Bouchard going forward so Nurse's replacement won't get much PP time to boost his points so 40 pts min 5 on 5.
- Be able to play on the PP when needed. Nurse will get some second pairing at times but also step in on the PP when needed.
- Be a lock on the PK. Nurse plays a TON of PK time.
- Has to defend well. People who dislike Nurse say he can't defend. That's simply not true. You can't play as much as he does against other teams best players and not be able to defend pretty well.
- Has to skate very well.
- Has to be able to rush the puck and also move the puck decently. Nurse is not an elite puck mover but he's decent at it.
- For me. He has to have size. Nurse is 6'4 221 lbs. I firmly believe you need some size on defense to help clear the net and you especially need it in the playoffs.
- He has to have a physical edge. You don't have to destroy people every night but Nurse brings a physical edge to the Oilers defense that is needed especially in the playoffs.
- He needs to have some toughness. Some level of toughness is still needed in the game. He's the toughness on the Oilers defense so if you get rid of that, I feel you have to replace it.

So that's Nurses job description. I probably missed a few but that I feel this is the main stuff. The list is pretty extensive and I think very hard to replace. The guys I think that can at least equal that, there aren't a lot of them and the guys that do all of that and do it better than Nurse, there are very few and they usually get norris votes. So if you trade Nurse, who is replacing that AND, I forgot, make less than Nurse?

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814650 is a reply to message #814647 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 11:11

Full disclosure, I think Nurse brings a ton of value to the team. I think he gets WAY too much criticism and wonder if some of it isn't hockey related. I agree that while he got market value at the time of his contract, it's too much. He in my opinion should probably be making in the 8 range.

When I see some fan go off on a tangent about Nurse and how terrible he is and how they need to get rid of them, I don't pay much attention to it nor do I think that person knows what they are talking about. However, my ultimate goal for the Oilers is to improve and win a cup. So as much as I like Nurse and what he brings, if trading Nurse allows them to improve the defense so they can win a cup, the only 2 players I see as untouchable are McD and Leon, so I will entertain a Nurse trade. If the Oilers trade Nurse, that means they are upgrading his spot. So who are they getting to replace him?

The guy they get to replace Nurse has to do the following because this is what Nurse does for the Oilers and if you are trading Nurse, the replacement has to be better at all of these than Nurse. Nurses stats are 22 games, 3 goals, 12 pts, +4, 23:46 per night. 0.57 PP, 2.44 PK:

- Be able to play 23+ mins against the other teams best players all the time every shift. Many games he will exceed 23 mins so the replacement has to be capable of doing that.
- Be able to score 10+ goals and 40+ pts minimum every year and score that primarily 5 on 5. That's what Nurse puts up yearly. He was on pace for 10 goals 40 pts last year, he's on pace for 11- 45 this year and he's done that multiple times in his career. The Oilers have Bouchard going forward so Nurse's replacement won't get much PP time to boost his points so 40 pts min 5 on 5.
- Be able to play on the PP when needed. Nurse will get some second pairing at times but also step in on the PP when needed.
- Has to defend well. People who dislike Nurse say he can't defend. That's simply not true. You can't play as much as he does against other teams best players and not be able to defend pretty well.
- Has to be able to rush the puck and also move the puck decently. Nurse is not an elite puck mover but he's decent at it.
- For me. He has to have size. Nurse is 6'4 221 lbs. I firmly believe you need some size on defense to help clear the net and you especially need it in the playoffs.
- He has to have a physical edge. You don't have to destroy people every night but Nurse brings a physical edge to the Oilers defense that is needed especially in the playoffs.
- He needs to have some toughness. Some level of toughness is still needed in the game. He's the toughness on the Oilers defense so if you get rid of that, I feel you have to replace it.

So that's Nurses job description. I probably missed a few but that I feel this is the main stuff. The list is pretty extensive and I think very hard to replace. The guys I think that can at least equal that, there aren't a lot of them and the guys that do all of that and do it better than Nurse, there are very few and they usually get norris votes. So if you trade Nurse, who is replacing that AND, I forgot, make less than Nurse?

No one. Nurse is our defacto number one defense man until someone is developed and surpasses him over time. He is untradeable, and hence irreplaceable.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814651 is a reply to message #814650 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I wish he would change his flopping around. A noticeable difference between Keith (both Oilers and Hawks) Doughty, Suter and other #1 D is they don't do it. They play on their feet, and in 2019 and 2020 when Nurse was, in my opinion, at his best he didn't do it. Now he lays down repeatedly. Why did he make this change? Am I alone in seeing it?
(Still our #1 and still easily one of the top 20 in the league)

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814652 is a reply to message #814651 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 19:50

I wish he would change his flopping around. A noticeable difference between Keith (both Oilers and Hawks) Doughty, Suter and other #1 D is they don't do it. They play on their feet, and in 2019 and 2020 when Nurse was, in my opinion, at his best he didn't do it. Now he lays down repeatedly. Why did he make this change? Am I alone in seeing it?

I haven't noticed it as much, maybe teams are trying to take him out knowing he is our number one D man... or do you mean he is just intentionally falling down on the ice? I haven't noticed it really to be honest... But seems strange he would be doing that.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814654 is a reply to message #814652 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 13:50

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 19:50

I haven't noticed it as much, maybe teams are trying to take him out knowing he is our number one D man... or do you mean he is just intentionally falling down on the ice? I haven't noticed it really to be honest... But seems strange he would be doing that.

Kowboy effect. Kris Russell left a hard to remove stain on the ice.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814655 is a reply to message #814652 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I mean him lying down to try to stop a play, instead of making a play from his feet.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814662 is a reply to message #814655 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 14:18

I mean him lying down to try to stop a play, instead of making a play from his feet.

He's definitely doing that Darnell Starfish move that he was two years ago when he was looking a lot more like the real deal.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814657 is a reply to message #814650 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 13:41

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 11:11

No one. Nurse is our defacto number one defense man until someone is developed and surpasses him over time. He is untradeable, and hence irreplaceable.

Would agree with this completely. Nurse is basically irreplaceable but the contract is still kinda meh to me.

-The combination of size/speed is much needed against bigger speedy forwards of the WC...esp come playoff time
-I still hate the simple brain farts, gaffes, and turnovers when he's supposed to specialize in that shutdown role
-Too bad that Nurse PP shot hit the post as that would've put us up 3-2 with Panthers needing another goal to tie. Great shift from that 2nd PP unit in what limited time they had

Somebody mentioned Horcoff's deal in the past as I believe this Nurse situation is completely different.

-Kevin Lowe totally botched that Horcoff deal by giving him that long-term deal AFTER he suffered a long-term shoulder injury.
-Lowe made the situation worse by getting rid of BOTH Reasoner & Stoll in Summer 2008....
-...hence leaving our roster with only one center that can win faceoffs....
-...while also expecting Horcoff to take EVERY faceoff as the de facto #1 center with nobody on the other three lines possessing that ability

I'll leave it at as getting into Summer 08 will just make me seethe....

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814656 is a reply to message #814647 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

All of your points are well taken, but, and I truly hope I am wrong, but if you are for one minute referring to me judgemental about an individual about anything other then what I see on the ice, I see no need for me to be around these parts. Peace out guys; the first time in my life I have been alluded to possible judging someone for other then the skillset in question. My passion runs high. I believe when you are paid you improve always to be the best you can be. Anyway, my angst against a player as brought out possible acquisitions of me judging color. Thanks for the condo and good content for many years.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814659 is a reply to message #814656 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

No Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 14:20

All of your points are well taken, but, and I truly hope I am wrong, but if you are for one minute referring to me judgemental about an individual about anything other then what I see on the ice, I see no need for me to be around these parts. Peace out guys; the first time in my life I have been alluded to possible judging someone for other then the skillset in question. My passion runs high. I believe when you are paid you improve always to be the best you can be. Anyway, my angst against a player as brought out possible acquisitions of me judging color. Thanks for the condo and good content for many years.

I don't see anyone saying that you specifically believe that, but that some people out there (I'm not even going to refer to them as Oilers fans) do still factor in things like skin colour when judging a player. Which is unfortunately true; we've seen it get alot of attention in recent years (rightfully so) with racial slurs being said both on and off the ice. But again, I don't think anyone was accusing you of that.

One point about Nurse I would bring up is that he's very close to McDavid. He's part of the Cliq. So if you end up potentially overpaying by a million on your #1D to keep the greatest player in the game happy, I don't see what the big deal is. He's also only 27, still pretty young in regards to defensemen.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814660 is a reply to message #814659 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

bigEfromGP wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 16:05

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 14:20

I don't see anyone saying that you specifically believe that, but that some people out there (I'm not even going to refer to them as Oilers fans) do still factor in things like skin colour when judging a player. Which is unfortunately true; we've seen it get alot of attention in recent years (rightfully so) with racial slurs being said both on and off the ice. But again, I don't think anyone was accusing you of that.

One point about Nurse I would bring up is that he's very close to McDavid. He's part of the Cliq. So if you end up potentially overpaying by a million on your #1D to keep the greatest player in the game happy, I don't see what the big deal is. He's also only 27, still pretty young in regards to defensemen.

That's how I read RDOF's post as well. My differences in opinion with RDOF is fairly well known around here but I dont think I have ever seen him accuse an individual of being racist. I dont think he was in this case.
I do believe, and agree, with both RDOF and BigE, there are many fans who still judge a player for what they look like or what country they come from, rather than on ice contributions.

Clutch; I doubt we will ever agree on Nurse but I never once thought you were criticizing him because he was black.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814661 is a reply to message #814660 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I wasn't trying to say you are racist clutch so if you thought I was, that wasn't my intent what so ever. But I do often wonder if for some fans, that plays a part in their opinion of him because at times there appears to be pure hatred for the guy. Nurse could be having a fantastic game and if he makes even the smallest error, some fans will be absolutely all over him.

The way the Oilers are constructed, I think they rely on Nurse probably more than they should. They play him probably more than they should. I don't follow all the teams nor do I know if there is some kind of a stat, but it wouldn't surprise me if he would rank near the top on how much a team relies on an individual in all areas. Like I said, I think Nurse makes too much but he got market value at the time. Unfortunately at the time, the market for dmen like him shot up big time and the Oilers got caught. Doesn't mean I like that he makes as much as he does but I don't see there being an alternative and I think at the time other teams would have given the same contract. I do think however certain fans look for plays to pick him apart. When a player plays as much as he does against other teams best of the best, mistakes will happen. But what I see happening is if Nurse makes 50 plays in a game but 2 are bad, certain fans will focus on the 2 and ignore the other 48 good ones which I don't think is right or fair.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814664 is a reply to message #814661 ]
Tue, 29 November 2022 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 15:51

Unfortunately at the time, the market for dmen like him shot up big time and the Oilers got caught.

The market shot up due to Holland trading for Keith at the time he did, rather than wait. He held the cards, Keith was going to Vancouver or Edmonton. Then, he eas going to Edmonton. It was a forgone conclusion he was coming here. But instead of playing the slow game with something that was going to happen, Holland pulled the trigger setting off the asinine contracts for middle of the pack dmen who fell into situations being their teams number 1.

I was THE Keith supporter around here. I still endorse it. For his follies, he was still a good piece for the Oilers D. But, the timing of Holland making that move, directly caused the Jones, Werenski et all contracts opening the door for Nurse (he held out his prior contract-much like Yamo… let’s not forget).

[Updated on: Tue, 29 November 2022 19:48]

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814675 is a reply to message #814664 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 19:25

Unfortunately at the time, the market for dmen like him shot up big time and the Oilers got caught.

The market shot up due to Holland trading for Keith at the time he did, rather than wait. He held the cards, Keith was going to Vancouver or Edmonton. Then, he eas going to Edmonton. It was a forgone conclusion he was coming here. But instead of playing the slow game with something that was going to happen, Holland pulled the trigger setting off the asinine contracts for middle of the pack dmen who fell into situations being their teams number 1.

I was THE Keith supporter around here. I still endorse it. For his follies, he was still a good piece for the Oilers D. But, the timing of Holland making that move, directly caused the Jones, Werenski et all contracts opening the door for Nurse (he held out his prior contract-much like Yamo… let’s not forget).

You think if Holland waited a couple of weeks, all of a sudden the stupid contracts handed out wouldn't have happened? It was the offsesaon, you are allowed to go over the cap. Keith getting traded was a rumor that was going around for a long time. So regardless if Holland waits a couple of weeks or gets the Hawks to retain a million to make some Oilers fans feel better, I don't see how the Hawks management were all of a sudden not signing Jones. Doesn't make any sense. Jones got signed in late July, they had 2 months to figure out how to trim some cap. Look at the stupid moves the Hawks made this year. You can trim cap pretty easily if you are willing to make bad trades. They proved it.

Re: Review: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22) [message #814678 is a reply to message #814675 ]
Wed, 30 November 2022 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 30 November 2022 08:24

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 29 November 2022 19:25

You think if Holland waited a couple of weeks, all of a sudden the stupid contracts handed out wouldn't have happened? It was the offsesaon, you are allowed to go over the cap. Keith getting traded was a rumor that was going around for a long time. So regardless if Holland waits a couple of weeks or gets the Hawks to retain a million to make some Oilers fans feel better, I don't see how the Hawks management were all of a sudden not signing Jones. Doesn't make any sense. Jones got signed in late July, they had 2 months to figure out how to trim some cap. Look at the stupid moves the Hawks made this year. You can trim cap pretty easily if you are willing to make bad trades. They proved it.

I think the Oilers played a huge part in the overpays....With Chicago not retaining any money it gave the Hawks a lot of cap cushion to pay top dollar and then we added Caleb to sweeten the deal (not a huge loss to us, but a good chip for Chicago). Jones was the first domino to drop.

The market has gotten better since.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Chicago (Game #23)
Next Topic:GDT: Florida @ Edmonton (Game #22)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca