This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814449]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
NY Islanders to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814452 is a reply to message #814449 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Oilers are seeing what a real solid starting goaltender looks like. The usual gaffes lead to goals against and you have a 3-0 game with 4 min left that I'm no longer watching.

If the Islanders get a couple or 3 shots and Soup stops em, that's a .900 sv%, silver lining. I dont know how many shots Hyman had but it's a lot.

We've got a .500 hockey team through 20 games. Not what I'd envisioned to build off last year.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814454 is a reply to message #814452 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Right now we aren’t a playoff team. Defense isn’t there at all, Campbell isn’t very good and the bottom 6 won’t do squat. It is what it is…. Not even sure what the answer is anymore

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814455 is a reply to message #814452 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

This team isn't a contender right now. They are an also-ran and have glaring holes that need to be remedied asap if this team is to have any chance.

Campbell played fine in the first but had a rough second... and by that point the damage was done.

Not good enough. I'm done with watching this squad have another bumble-fest of a season. You have two of the best players to ever play the game on this team. Figure it out already.

[Updated on: Wed, 23 November 2022 20:20]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814453 is a reply to message #814449 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814456 is a reply to message #814453 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

...can anyone say "Evander Kane"? I blame him. boom

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814458 is a reply to message #814456 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Waded into the game... gave Sorokin some muffins to get him nice and comfortable, and then played sub-standard D and had a goalie that was a sieve in the second period again.

That's what I blame it on.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814469 is a reply to message #814456 ]
Thu, 24 November 2022 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

watchman wrote on Thu, 24 November 2022 03:18

...can anyone say "Evander Kane"? I blame him. boom

We sure miss him, that’s for sure

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814467 is a reply to message #814453 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 23 November 2022 20:16

I really hope this isn't the number-of-games-left-to-win-the-Cup counter!!!!

Been there, seen that already. boom

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814457 is a reply to message #814449 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I say we fire Bob Nicholson.

I mean, can anyone think of a single reason not to?

As for tonight’s game, I assume that the team was just despondent from losing out on the Ryan Reaves Sweepstakes.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814459 is a reply to message #814457 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 23 November 2022 20:21

As for tonight’s game, I assume that the team was just despondent from losing out on the Ryan Reaves Sweepstakes.

Out of a cannon into the NSR please.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814460 is a reply to message #814459 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

This is not gonna cut it. I know we were up against a hot goalie but man we are not a threat as a team. Nor can we defend against one.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814463 is a reply to message #814459 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 23 November 2022 20:25

NSR?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814471 is a reply to message #814463 ]
Thu, 24 November 2022 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 November 2022 21:17

NSR?

Sorry, North Saskatchewan River.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814472 is a reply to message #814471 ]
Thu, 24 November 2022 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Jeez - .500 on US Thanksgiving? That's not good. We really need to hope we don't continue our annual December swan dive (which looking this morning I see has gotten worse by the year):

18-19: 6-8-0, point % 42.86%
19-20: 4-7-1, point % 37.50%
21-22: 3-7-1, point% 31.82%

A December like one of those and we can kiss the playoffs goodbye. Last year we went in to December 15-5. Made it 16-5 with a win Dec 1 to move into 1st place in the West. Fast forward 7 weeks and we were 13th in the West.

We had a great finish the last month and a half or so going 19-6-2 to make the final standings look pretty good, but let's not forget we were still out of a playoff spot as late as March 11th.

I really didn't expect the playoffs to be a question this year, yet here we are again. nono

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814473 is a reply to message #814471 ]
Thu, 24 November 2022 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 24 November 2022 06:26

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 November 2022 21:17

NSR?

Sorry, North Saskatchewan River.

Geez. It seems so obvious now.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814461 is a reply to message #814449 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Arguably the 2 best players in the world and here we still are.

This team is fundamentally flawed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814462 is a reply to message #814449 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

This team man. Oi vey.

Need a 1LD, 1RD, 3RD, 1G, 1RW, 2RW, 3C, 4C and 4LW.

Simply not good enough.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814464 is a reply to message #814462 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

I knew this team was destined for not making the playoffs 5 games in. JOKE of a team.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814466 is a reply to message #814464 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Wed, 23 November 2022 21:22

I knew this team was destined for not making the playoffs 5 games in. JOKE of a team.

Ah they should still make the playoffs. The division is weak and they've had a pretty tough schedule so far. I think there is broad agreement they're a flawed hockey team that is not a real Stanley Cup threat this... or next.

I don't think the team is a joke, but the organization does some awfully funny things.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814468 is a reply to message #814466 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Nah, this is a joke of a start to the season. Zero confidence that this team will show up to play, or will show a consistent effort throughout a game. They are a dog's breakfast.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814470 is a reply to message #814468 ]
Thu, 24 November 2022 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

HamBlaster wrote on Thu, 24 November 2022 06:42

Nah, this is a joke of a start to the season. Zero confidence that this team will show up to play, or will show a consistent effort throughout a game. They are a dog's breakfast.

This. We need to figure something out and fast, but right now there are so many holes our bottom six can’t seem to produce at all, the defense is bad and Jack Campbell is not anything close to last year. We have a lot of stuff to fix, and it will be interesting to see how Woodcroft responds.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814474 is a reply to message #814470 ]
Thu, 24 November 2022 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Somewhat of same story, different night. They did get goalied by the guy that will probably win the vezina. You put 49 shots on goal, normally you score and he did make some pretty great saves but self inflicted wounds again.

First goal that one is on Nuge for the most part. He has the puck at the point and decides he is going to try and pass literally through 3 Isles. Look at the replay. Islanders are in a box, Nuge at the top right corner of that box. Isles #44 maybe 10 ft from him. To make the pass to McD in the corner the puck has to make it past 44's stick/body who's in front of him. There is the stick of the top left forward who's number I can't see and then Pelech who's kind of in front of McD. So what is the chance that pass makes it through? 1 out of 100? He could have dropped it to Barrie for a shot with Hyman in front. He could have shot it with Hyman in front but he elects to try an next to impossible pass to complete and surprise surprise it gets turned over. If he had of made the pass McD was there to one time it in for a highlight of the night pass and goal. But got picked off goes the other way. Then Nuge on the back check has Pageau until the blueline then stops staking and leaves him to cruise in for an easy goal. Barrie is sort of covering the pass but not really and his back is turned to Pagaeu as he watches the pass.

Second goal. Watch the replay. What is Bouchard doing? He's puck watching, that is what he is doing. You have Nurse AND McLeod paying attention to the play, you don't need another guy watching the puck. Bouchard is just standing in front covering nothing. There is even an Islander creeping in which should be Bouchard's man but he's not paying attention. Bouchard should be heading towards the far post to pick up that guy. But he's just standing there. Then he puts his stick down for a perfect tip.

3rd goal. Puck comes in, not really a dangerous play. Goes behind the net. Nuge is in front covering sort of a guy but not really anyone. Bouchard is spinning circles at the post covering no one. He doesn't go to the puck carrier or cover Aho coming in, he just stands there spinning around. No one of Leon or JP are covering the Dman that comes from the point unmarked. A DMAN beats out a winger and a center to the far end.

3 goals where it was lousy team defense and most of the mistakes were done by critical players to the team, guys who would be automatics to be on the team regardless of what a person thinks of management. So until the team decides enough is enough and play sound team defense and fundamental hockey, the GM can bring in whoever a fan wants and it won't help. Nurse can make 1 mill less to please fans and it won't help. The whole team has to decide to play defense on every single shift and commit to doing it well all the time.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814475 is a reply to message #814470 ]
Thu, 24 November 2022 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Thu, 24 November 2022 05:59

HamBlaster wrote on Thu, 24 November 2022 06:42

This. We need to figure something out and fast, but right now there are so many holes our bottom six can’t seem to produce at all, the defense is bad and Jack Campbell is not anything close to last year. We have a lot of stuff to fix, and it will be interesting to see how Woodcroft responds.

Can we fire woodcroft and then hire him back wearing prosthetics or a mask?

What happened to the forwards helping the D last year that turned our season around? We are back to the lazy defending and hoping 2 guys can save the day every night.

[Updated on: Thu, 24 November 2022 08:39]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814476 is a reply to message #814475 ]
Thu, 24 November 2022 09:39 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The Oilers seem to struggle to get going just about every game. Last game I don't think they had a single shot until well after the 10 min mark. Typically one of McD or Leon starts the game. What is the average shift length? 1 min tops. That's probably high for bottom 6 guys but for McD and Leon I would guess it's at least 1 min pretty regularly. So in the first 10 mins, let's say there is 12 shifts. I would say the 3rd and 4th line might get 4 shifts total in those first 12 shifts. Considering both usually play over 21 mins a night, (both are averaging just over 22). So to get at least 21 mins a night, they need to play at least 7 mins a period a piece. So that means McD and Leon combined of the first 10 mins are probably easily on the ice for 7 mins. So the slow starts are on them.

Those 2 need to set the tone because they are the ones that start the games and play the most. If they don't come out hard, the team won't. If they don't commit to team defense, the team won't.

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca