This day on April 18
None

Happy Birthday To: spaz44, Formica, JDmassive, timothyparis12

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814386]
Wed, 23 November 2022 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
NY Islanders to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2022-23 Regular Season
Wednesday, November 23, 2022Edmonton 0 @ NY Islanders 3Loss
Thursday, January 5, 2023NY Islanders 2 @ Edmonton 4Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 4/0 Total: 4
Home / Road Goals Against: 2/3 Total: 5

2021-22 Regular Season
Saturday, January 1, 2022Edmonton 2 @ NY Islanders 3 (OT)Loss
Friday, February 11, 2022NY Islanders 1 @ Edmonton 3Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 0-0-1       Overall Record: 1-0-1
Home / Road Goals For: 3/2 Total: 5
Home / Road Goals Against: 1/3 Total: 4

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814387 is a reply to message #814386 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Tonight would be a great night to turn around the season.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814396 is a reply to message #814387 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Keys to success. Every player on the ice every shift has to give a crap about playing some level of defense. That starts from the very top with the guys wearing the letters who are the ones that should set the tone. I said it in other places, I have heard McD say in interviews his job is to score. NO, your job is to win hockey games and play winning hockey. Part of that is to score but there are other parts that I believe at times the big guys sacrifice in an effort to score.

They need to play TEAM defense every shift.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814397 is a reply to message #814396 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 November 2022 17:13

Keys to success. Every player on the ice every shift has to give a crap about playing some level of defense. That starts from the very top with the guys wearing the letters who are the ones that should set the tone. I said it in other places, I have heard McD say in interviews his job is to score. NO, your job is to win hockey games and play winning hockey. Part of that is to score but there are other parts that I believe at times the big guys sacrifice in an effort to score.

Well said

Islanders are a tough hockey team this year. We need to get a win over these guys and bring some momentum back to our side. This is getting ridiculous

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814402 is a reply to message #814396 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 23 November 2022 10:13

I don't think it's working harder that's the issue. It's more about working smarter.

Jay Woodcroft spoke about not giving up the bluelines so easily, and hopefully he's making tweaks in order to make that a priority. The team has been awful at that and it makes life easy on the opposing team. We let them in and let them set up, and then we have to rely on our porous defence and shaky goaltending to bail us out.

McDavid and Draisaitl haven't even shown great numbers at even strength this year, and that's a major problem. Fix ES, and maybe even if the PK continues to suck the team still starts winning a lot more.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814404 is a reply to message #814402 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It's 100% not about working harder, its as you said working smarter and playing proper hockey. I will sound like an old guy but doing all the boring, little things. It's getting pucks in deep on a line change rather than making an unnecessary move at the blueline while your team is changing. That happens a lot.
It's every forward backchecking hard. I get the Oilers defense isn't great and they could use a better guy back there but the teams that succeed play team defense. It's not up to just the 2 dmen to defend. The whole team does. Dogging it on the backcheck happens WAY too much on the Oilers and has been an issue for years.

Pick up your man. Way too many times over the years there is an Oilers forward watching the opposition just cruise into the high slot all alone. The Dmen can't go get the puck, battle in the corner, get the puck up, cover the guys in front AND cover the slot. There is only 2 guys. They need help. That's not an Oilers thing, that's every team.

Don't fly the zone too quickly. Make sure your teammate has the puck and has control of it before you take off. The Oilers fly the zone WAY too easy. The Foegele gaf against the Caps is a perfect example. Yes Foegele made the mistake but if you watch the play, ALL 4 Oilers took off, even Barrie. So they left Foegele 1 on 1 with very little options to pass.

Stop with the hope passes. I LOVE McD and Leon but I do think because they are sooooo good, they try things no one else dares too. They try the cross ice with defenders in the middle passes that if it gets connected, it's a highlight pass but look out when it gets picked off. Most players don't dare try it because they know they can't complete that play. McD and Leon are so good they can when it works out but it's such a low percentage play.

All these things are basic things that the good teams do every shift. There isn't 1 or 2 "defenders" that do it, all the good teams have every guy on their team doing it shift after shift.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814409 is a reply to message #814404 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I agree with them trying too much or too risky when it's not necessary.
In the Vegas game, there was one shift where Leon had 3 give aways in their zone in a single shift. Not just a single shift, we got lucky and kept the puck in, all 3 of his give aways occurred in on o-zone possession. I'm thinking he could have done better.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814413 is a reply to message #814409 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Wed, 23 November 2022 13:18

I agree with them trying too much or too risky when it's not necessary.
In the Vegas game, there was one shift where Leon had 3 give aways in their zone in a single shift. Not just a single shift, we got lucky and kept the puck in, all 3 of his give aways occurred in on o-zone possession. I'm thinking he could have done better.

Exactly! I think there is a mindset problem with this team and it's been like that for years. I think it starts with the top guys. They have it in their mind their only job is to score, the rest is secondary. So because they think their only job is to only score, they press for offense and do things when they probably shouldn't and it bites them.

Lots of mediocre teams can have success if they play committed team defense and are committed to working hard in games and doing lots of the little things well every game. But what they lack is a couple of game breakers. There is no reason why if the Oilers committed to team defense, they couldn't be automatically a decent team then you factor in they have game breakers in McD and Leon. So there is no reason they shouldn't be a lot better but they refuse to play defense.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814411 is a reply to message #814386 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Well they say you need to play 20 games to know what your team is.
Are we a .500 team? We need to simplify the plays. Guys need to come together being more defensive. While I haven’t been a Foegel fan but this year the guys been surprising me and no knock on Barrie as I like him but I still wish we had another shut down d man in his place. I cannot wait until Nemo is ready. McDavid and Leon owning the league and we are just over 500 hockey by a game makes me sad. I had so much hope for this team after the playoffs at what a full season would be like with Woodcroft, we truly do miss Keith. Fix the back end, cleanse Campbell’s mind and bring him to a happy place. Protect Skinner at all costs lol

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20) [message #814418 is a reply to message #814411 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 16:47 Go to previous message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

I have a feeling we win this. No particular reason. Just do

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ NY Islanders (Game #20)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ New Jersey (Game #19)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca