Speculation » Puljujarvi's ExtensionPages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #812144 is a reply to message #812138 ]
Mon, 26 September 2022 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 26 September 2022 11:10

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 24 September 2022 18:42

Apparently Anthony Stewart is non the Leafs broadcast tonight and in talking about JP said McDavid specifically made it known he wanted JP back on the team this year, biggest reason he wasn't moved.
I am in Sask but I am pretty sure I just heard a few local EDM talking heads pop, not to mention a couple of anti-JP posters.
The crew that used McD and Drai not wanting to play with JP as reason enough to dump him will have to chase a different angle I guess.

Here's the clip of Anthony Stewart talking about Puljujarvi. Love the shade at the Edmonton media:

https://twitter.com/David___Co/status/1573922378442473473?s= 20&t=J8s70xXSzR_dZsJ681Yz-Q

The "my colleagues are trying to run him out of town" comment makes it seem like Stewart is very aware of everything happening with Pulju. Wonder if he got his info straight from the players.

Does anyone think the players are open talking about anything in the locker room anymore with guys like Matty, Spector or Rishaug? I'm starting to think all those guys are just completely in the dark about almost everything now. They are constantly wrong about Oilers moves as well. Holland shut the leaks from the office, and the players just despise those guys because they are keenly aware of how they take cheap shots at their teammates. It's really time for the Journal, SN and others to get some fresh blood covering this team.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2022 13:25]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #814385 is a reply to message #812144 ]
Tue, 22 November 2022 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 26 September 2022 12:22

Goose wrote on Mon, 26 September 2022 11:10

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 24 September 2022 18:42

Apparently Anthony Stewart is non the Leafs broadcast tonight and in talking about JP said McDavid specifically made it known he wanted JP back on the team this year, biggest reason he wasn't moved.
I am in Sask but I am pretty sure I just heard a few local EDM talking heads pop, not to mention a couple of anti-JP posters.
The crew that used McD and Drai not wanting to play with JP as reason enough to dump him will have to chase a different angle I guess.

Here's the clip of Anthony Stewart talking about Puljujarvi. Love the shade at the Edmonton media:

https://twitter.com/David___Co/status/1573922378442473473?s= 20&t=J8s70xXSzR_dZsJ681Yz-Q

The "my colleagues are trying to run him out of town" comment makes it seem like Stewart is very aware of everything happening with Pulju. Wonder if he got his info straight from the players.

Does anyone think the players are open talking about anything in the locker room anymore with guys like Matty, Spector or Rishaug? I'm starting to think all those guys are just completely in the dark about almost everything now. They are constantly wrong about Oilers moves as well. Holland shut the leaks from the office, and the players just despise those guys because they are keenly aware of how they take cheap shots at their teammates. It's really time for the Journal, SN and others to get some fresh blood covering this team.

Word has to have gotten around the league by now. It's not just JP. The usual suspects (throw in Terry Jones) have consistently picked one (or more) players per season to constantly throw daggers at, regardless of their actual value to the team or where they are on their development curve.

Those toxic clods are trying to sell papers/clicks/views. If they can get more by throwing a player under the bus, even at the detriment of the team as a whole, they'll do it. As they have done for decades.

And the organization does nothing to stand up for it's players it should be shepherding.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #814388 is a reply to message #814385 ]
Wed, 23 November 2022 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I don't pay attention to most of them and tend to disagree with most of what any of them say. The guys I stomach are:
- Stauffer strictly because he works for the team and the majority of the information he gives is the thoughts and potential moves of the team because they feed him information.
- Gregor because he seems to have a good relationship with current and former players including some on other teams. I don't think he makes things up which is why he seem to have a good relationship with players.
- Nugent-Bowman because he seems to have a good balance between the numbers side and the on ice side.

The rest I don't take a ton of stock into. If Rishaugh mentions a potential move or rumour I might pay some attention to but not a ton.

When a Spec or who ever goes on a tangent about how bad JP is or blames him for something he doesn't do, I don't agree or pay attention to it. But when ANY media member mentions the Oilers need more production from a guy making 3 mill, I don't see that as being unfair. JP has 1 goal, 4 pts and is -9 in 19 games. That's with playing a bunch of games with McD. It's great that he has amped up the physical play some and using his body more. He's one of their bigger forward, he should do that automatically because it's too his advantage given his size. It's great that he at times is good at picking off passes and breaking up plays. But when you make 3 mill in a cap world, you need to do more than throw a body check once in a while and pick off a pass or 2. They need you to physically score and put up points. Without scoring and putting up points, the few things he is doing is what you pay guys making 1 mill and under. We are approaching the 1/4 point of the season and 1 goal, a goal in which all he did was get a small piece of a Nurse shot as he was cruising through the very high slot is not enough for what he makes.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816764 is a reply to message #808823 ]
Mon, 16 January 2023 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Teemu Selanne tweets for Edmonton to trade Jesse.

https://twitter.com/TeemuSel8nne/status/1615047508870451201? s=20&t=HzJGA0WsPtKtbfRtHeUJUw

Also Olli Jokinen has weighed in over the last week.

https://www.bladeofsteel.com/Olli-Jokinen-claims-this-NHLer- reminds-him-of-himself-and-still-thinks-hell-be-a-star-19905 6

Interesting to see…

Clean house or bust

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816793 is a reply to message #816764 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 16 January 2023 15:58

Teemu Selanne tweets for Edmonton to trade Jesse.

https://twitter.com/TeemuSel8nne/status/1615047508870451201? s=20&t=HzJGA0WsPtKtbfRtHeUJUw

Also Olli Jokinen has weighed in over the last week.

https://www.bladeofsteel.com/Olli-Jokinen-claims-this-NHLer- reminds-him-of-himself-and-still-thinks-hell-be-a-star-19905 6

Interesting to see…

I pretty much have zero issue with JP's game most games other than finishing. His good play aside from contributing offensively has only occurred over his last season's worth of games played. He's more physical this year and smarter without the puck, better at the cycle, better with his stick. If that hadn't happened, he'd probably be out of this league.

He's definitely a 3rd line quality NHL'er. I just don't know why he doesn't really affect the game on the scoreboard. He finds himself in places to score from time to time with tremendous opportunities, but it just doesn't happen. He's been elevated in Kane's absence to play with elite centers, but it didn't happen. Hyman, Yamamoto, Janmark, are all ahead of him in terms of RW depth, Yamamoto is out for at least 8 more games on LTIR, so that's a concern.

I think 'star' is a reach, but if he'd ever find a way to consistently contribute offensively, he'd have the tools to be a top 6 guy. Personally I think he tops out as a 50 pt. guy if he gets it figured out, and plays consistently. The Oilers are committing too much cap to him for the return currently, so yeah, he'll get a look elsewhere. Do the Oilers get a 3rd for him if it was just a small deal? I doubt it, but I think the bigger benefit would be him coming off the books and finding similar performance for less. Something has to give when Yamamoto comes back, barring any other injuries.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816797 is a reply to message #816793 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If JP was being paid appropriately, around 1.5 mill, no issues with his game. When you make 3 mill, in a cap league, you need to do more. That also applies to Foegele and Yamo though maybe Yamo has been battling something all year.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816808 is a reply to message #816797 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

This time next year he will be in the KHL.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816810 is a reply to message #816797 ]
Tue, 17 January 2023 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 17 January 2023 14:38

If JP was being paid appropriately, around 1.5 mill, no issues with his game. When you make 3 mill, in a cap league, you need to do more. That also applies to Foegele and Yamo though maybe Yamo has been battling something all year.

Yeah, at the price point you want more from all of them, but Yams will be last man standing unless he's part of something that makes the Oilers better.

They have 8 games to make a move, that's when KY comes back and you need to make the dollars work.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816872 is a reply to message #816810 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Lots of Jesse to Boston smoke out there.

If it’s for Mike Reilly I will ….

Reilly has another year of 3M left on the books and he’s currently playing in the AHL.I haven’t heard any specific names mentioned, but this is me fear mongering.

FYI - He is lighting up the AHL.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816873 is a reply to message #816872 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 07:44

Lots of Jesse to Boston smoke out there.

If it’s for Mike Reilly I will ….

Reilly has another year of 3M left on the books and he’s currently playing in the AHL.I haven’t heard any specific names mentioned, but this is me fear mongering.

FYI - He is lighting up the AHL.

Mike Rielly is a D analytics darling that can't seem to keep an NHL job.

We'll love him

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816883 is a reply to message #816873 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am assuming that if the Oilers could get an actual live body for JP, it will be for a cheap, bottom 6 guy. A guy who is a willing bottom 6 guy that has a predictable game, plays hard, chips in at a bottom 6 rate, maybe has some PK abilities, has a bit of a physical edge, maybe some size.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816893 is a reply to message #816883 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 10:58

I am assuming that if the Oilers could get an actual live body for JP, it will be for a cheap, bottom 6 guy. A guy who is a willing bottom 6 guy that has a predictable game, plays hard, chips in at a bottom 6 rate, maybe has some PK abilities, has a bit of a physical edge, maybe some size.

Fingers crossed, and preferably on an expiring contract or remaining RFA years.

I believe it may be cheaper (financially and acquisition cost) and more realistic to find defensive forwards who can help out the blue line over finding an actual defenseman that can be a positive game changer.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816895 is a reply to message #816893 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 14:14

I believe it may be cheaper (financially and acquisition cost) and more realistic to find defensive forwards who can help out the blue line over finding an actual defenseman that can be a positive game changer.

My thinking as well. I think any trade for a dman that involves JP, he's just a throw in to get the money to work. You may even have to give a little extra asset to get a team to take him. That's why I think a trade for an established bottom 6 guy might be more realistic if they can get a live body back for him. The trading team is hoping that JP will be more than he currently is. An example is a Janmark. Janmark is an established NHL player. He's going to score you around 10 goals and 25 ish pts in 82 games. He can play on the PK. He knows his role and he embraces it. He's not a spectacular player but he's a predictable, solid NHL player. There is no untapped potential in him. What you see is what you will get. So a team could look to swap out the known commodity in a Janmark type of player for the possibility that a JP will figure it out and live up to his #4th overall draft pedigree.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816910 is a reply to message #816893 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Why target a forward who provides no offence when we can just kill the offence of most people put in to the bottom-6 on their own (last three games notwithstanding).

The team needs either A) a good defenceman who can make great transition passes and plays, or B) more effective wingers who can occasionally find the net.

We don't need more grinders or role players, and we don't need "Stanley Cup experience".

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816911 is a reply to message #816910 ]
Wed, 18 January 2023 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 23:02

Why target a forward who provides no offence when we can just kill the offence of most people put in to the bottom-6 on their own (last three games notwithstanding).

The team needs either A) a good defenceman who can make great transition passes and plays, or B) more effective wingers who can occasionally find the net.

We don't need more grinders or role players, and we don't need "Stanley Cup experience".

I don’t think Puljujarvi gets you a good dman.

When I think of a bottom six winger, I’m wanting a guy that can be a role player, but also an upgrade on Foegele and Puljujarvi. A little Kostin grit mixed with skill. I’d be targeting Frederic in Boston, but I’d be surprised if they would move him.

Puljujarvi will likely be a cap dump to make room for Yamo when returns to the lineup. I’m prepared to be underwhelmed. I just don’t a guy like Reilly coming back. Term and a healthy salary. Ugh-golly!

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816917 is a reply to message #816911 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 23:15

When I think of a bottom six winger, I’m wanting a guy that can be a role player, but also an upgrade on Foegele and Puljujarvi. A little Kostin grit mixed with skill.

My thinking exactly. I think anyone who thinks the Oilers can get a goal scoring winger for JP isn't being realistic. JP was supposed to be the scoring middle 6 guy but unfortunately, he's not. Right now JP has 4 goals in 45 games, that's a 7 goal pace. ON top of that, he doesn't kill penalties. If you can get a forward who typically scores 10-12 and kills penalties, bonus if he does something else, that's an upgrade on JP. A guy that Stauffer keeps mentioning a lot is Lafferty from Chicago. Right shot, bottom 6 guy that plays center or wing. 53.2% on faceoffs granted he's only taken 270 but shows he can do it. Kills penalties. Has OK size, plays with an edge, skates well. He has 5 goals, 13 pts in 36 games. That's an 11 goal 30 pt pace in 82 on a very bad Hawks team and he is signed for 1 more year at 1.15. That's an upgrade to me because he can play multiple positions, plays a special team and offensively scores at an OK bottom 6 pace.

I get that upside wise, maybe JP might have a little more but he's not going to reach that in Edmonton. If you can go find yourself another diamond in the rough in Kostin, great but I would be perfectly fine with getting a legit bottom 6 guy who you know will produce at a good level and you know can fill holes on your team.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816925 is a reply to message #816911 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 18 January 2023 23:15

When I think of a bottom six winger, I’m wanting a guy that can be a role player, but also an upgrade on Foegele and Puljujarvi. A little Kostin grit mixed with skill. I’d be targeting Frederic in Boston, but I’d be surprised if they would move him.

Puljujarvi will likely be a cap dump to make room for Yamo when returns to the lineup. I’m prepared to be underwhelmed. I just don’t a guy like Reilly coming back. Term and a healthy salary. Ugh-golly!

If you can't get a decent player who fits one of those glaring holes in the Oilers lineup, there's just no sense in trading off Puljujarvi for someone who can do less than he can. Whether it's direct return, or whether it's another concurrent trade, you need to bring in someone who makes the team better or there is no reason to trade Puljujarvi. I'm not losing any sleep over "losing him for nothing" in the summer if the alternative is making the team worse.

I fully expect that a team dealing with the Oilers right now is selling - so create a package for Chychrun, and put Puljujarvi in the package and I can live with that. Trading him for Just a Guy? Why? It would not help the team. Better off to keep him here, even if some fans (and posters here) are too focused on what his salary was and when he was drafted.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816926 is a reply to message #816925 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 09:40

If you can't get a decent player who fits one of those glaring holes in the Oilers lineup, there's just no sense in trading off Puljujarvi for someone who can do less than he can. Whether it's direct return, or whether it's another concurrent trade, you need to bring in someone who makes the team better or there is no reason to trade Puljujarvi. I'm not losing any sleep over "losing him for nothing" in the summer if the alternative is making the team worse.

I fully expect that a team dealing with the Oilers right now is selling - so create a package for Chychrun, and put Puljujarvi in the package and I can live with that. Trading him for Just a Guy? Why? It would not help the team. Better off to keep him here, even if some fans (and posters here) are too focused on what his salary was and when he was drafted.

Unless they're trading Puljujarvi for Cap Space which can then be turned into a cup winning vet.

Unfortunately Pulju is now a glaring hole in the Oilers roster and is entering the addition by subtraction zone. The return for him might be a 5th rounder at this point.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816927 is a reply to message #816926 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 09:45

Unless they're trading Puljujarvi for Cap Space which can then be turned into a cup winning vet.

Unfortunately Pulju is now a glaring hole in the Oilers roster and is entering the addition by subtraction zone. The return for him might be a 5th rounder at this point.

That's what I mean by a concurrent trade. I wouldn't trade him in anticipation of that cap-space-for-Cup-vet trade either - then what if you can't make that deal happen? I'd wait until I had that guy-with-a-Ring lined up, and then pull the trigger on both deals at the same time. Otherwise you end up with the Chiarelli/Eberle/Strome thing where the Oilers traded for a bunch of cap space that they just never used while also making the team worse.

I think Puljujarvi is still a useful part on the team, and I'd rather have him than nobody or a next-to-nobody grinder, even if he's just there as insurance as a guy who can climb the lineup when we inevitably get injuries.

Is he untradeable? Hell no. I think his time in Edmonton is done one way or another at season's end, so he has to be a trade option. But he's not a liability that you NEED to get rid of. If there's no decent deals and you can't better use his cap space, then hold on and let him walk in a few months.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816928 is a reply to message #816927 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 09:54

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 09:45

That's what I mean by a concurrent trade. I wouldn't trade him in anticipation of that cap-space-for-Cup-vet trade either - then what if you can't make that deal happen? I'd wait until I had that guy-with-a-Ring lined up, and then pull the trigger on both deals at the same time. Otherwise you end up with the Chiarelli/Eberle/Strome thing where the Oilers traded for a bunch of cap space that they just never used while also making the team worse.

I think Puljujarvi is still a useful part on the team, and I'd rather have him than nobody or a next-to-nobody grinder, even if he's just there as insurance as a guy who can climb the lineup when we inevitably get injuries.

Is he untradeable? Hell no. I think his time in Edmonton is done one way or another at season's end, so he has to be a trade option. But he's not a liability that you NEED to get rid of. If there's no decent deals and you can't better use his cap space, then hold on and let him walk in a few months.

I think Holland has made him nearly untradeable. He's simply not in the business of managing assets.

I think the Oilers need to trade Puljujarvi because he's not trusted to perform the role he needs to do and his cap and roster spot would be better utilized by fixing the defense instead of trusting 4 games of pizza 73 and Broberg's sudden reemergence.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816929 is a reply to message #816928 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I don't see a ton of value in keeping a player who it's clear the coach either doesn't fully trust or doesn't feel like he does the role he is put in overly as well as the coach wants. Especially at JP's price point. JP typically gets under 10 mins and at 3 mill, that's too much to be paying a guy that the coach plays so little. So if you can bring in a player who some might call a "grinder" for lack of a better word to play in a 4th line position and do whatever the teams wants in that position and he's priced appropriately, the cap space you create can be used elsewhere.

I'd like to see the Oilers get themselves another Janmark type player for JP. A solid bottom 6 guy who you can play all over the place, plays a reliable game and is priced appropriately. He won't score you a highlight goal but who cares, you have more than enough high end scorers in your line up.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816931 is a reply to message #816928 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 10:05

I think Holland has made him nearly untradeable. He's simply not in the business of managing assets.

I think the Oilers need to trade Puljujarvi because he's not trusted to perform the role he needs to do and his cap and roster spot would be better utilized by fixing the defense instead of trusting 4 games of pizza 73 and Broberg's sudden reemergence.

I'm on board, but why trade him before you line up the next Kulikov or Kulak trade? There's just no guarantee that Holland will be able to do what he wants - given that he's always been really bad at trading - so no rush to make a deal. And maybe the team who gives up that d-man wants to try to reclaim him as part of their return on their deal?

I have zero faith in Holland's ability to manage this well, so it won't surprise me if we trade him for nothing on the sheer hope that we're able to make another deal later - but that's probably not how they SHOULD handle this.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816932 is a reply to message #816931 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 10:35

I'm on board, but why trade him before you line up the next Kulikov or Kulak trade? There's just no guarantee that Holland will be able to do what he wants - given that he's always been really bad at trading - so no rush to make a deal. And maybe the team who gives up that d-man wants to try to reclaim him as part of their return on their deal?

I have zero faith in Holland's ability to manage this well, so it won't surprise me if we trade him for nothing on the sheer hope that we're able to make another deal later - but that's probably not how they SHOULD handle this.

Because the Oilers, through no fault of management past or present, have found themselves in a cap crunch where they have an inability in both space and imagination to make anything but the simplest roster moves.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816935 is a reply to message #816932 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 10:42

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 10:35

Because the Oilers, through no fault of management past or present, have found themselves in a cap crunch where they have an inability in both space and imagination to make anything but the simplest roster moves.

Not here to defend Holland, but 25 teams have less than 2M cap space remaining. Many are into LTIR.

I personally like Puljujarvi. I’d love him to stay, but he’s gone and likely soon. I’m hoping we get somebody at a lesser cap hit, with upside and a team friendly cap hit without term.

That money saved puts us in the conversation for a much larger deal. Do I trust Holland? Not completely. He either hits a homer like Kostin or swings and misses badly. Kenny Holland is the home run hitting, strikeout king Rob Deer of the NHL (if anyone remembers him).

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816937 is a reply to message #816935 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Matt Dumba is a healthy scratch tonight.
let's speculate

PJ and a 1st for Dumba at 50% retained (making it a 3m for 3m trade)

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816938 is a reply to message #816937 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 12:46

let's speculate

Ugh. I think I need to take the rest of the day off.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816939 is a reply to message #816937 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 12:46

let's speculate

I don't follow Dumba that much but isn't Dumba similarish to Barrie and Bouchard? He's a right shot dman known more for skating, puck moving and offense rather than defense?

I don't think he brings much of what the Oilers need but maybe I am wrong.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816940 is a reply to message #816939 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

he's no offensive dynamo, about 0.5 pts per game and topped out at 14 goals in 17-18.

he's hard hitting, and a minute muncher. I'd say more like a less scoring Darnell.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816941 is a reply to message #816940 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 13:25

he's no offensive dynamo, about 0.5 pts per game and topped out at 14 goals in 17-18.

he's hard hitting, and a minute muncher. I'd say more like a less scoring Darnell.

Oh? What are his starfish per 60 numbers?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816944 is a reply to message #816941 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

What's going to happen when JP gets traded is whatever the Oilers get, a segment of the fan base won't be happy with the return. On the flip side, if JP was on another team doing what he's been doing with the contract he has, and the Oilers traded for him, the same segment of fans would be pissed off because they would think the Oilers should be paid to take him given his contract. So either way a certain segment of fans won't be happy.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816945 is a reply to message #816944 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 14:41

What's going to happen when JP gets traded is whatever the Oilers get, a segment of the fan base won't be happy with the return. On the flip side, if JP was on another team doing what he's been doing with the contract he has, and the Oilers traded for him, the same segment of fans would be pissed off because they would think the Oilers should be paid to take him given his contract. So either way a certain segment of fans won't be happy.

That's a safe bet. I'm not happy with how JP entire career in Edmonton has gone. At this point the only outcomes are dithering away the Stanley Cup window, devaluing a player, or losing assets. There is no longer an immediate win for the organization. The Oilers only win this, if the return becomes a key element in turning the team around.

In before "they're no longer an obviously flawed team because of a four game winning streak. They've turned the corner. They haven't.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816946 is a reply to message #816945 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 15:12

That's a safe bet. I'm not happy with how JP entire career in Edmonton has gone. At this point the only outcomes are dithering away the Stanley Cup window, devaluing a player, or losing assets. There is no longer an immediate win for the organization. The Oilers only win this, if the return becomes a key element in turning the team around.

In before "they're no longer an obviously flawed team because of a four game winning streak. They've turned the corner. They haven't.

Sadly I think the value of JP started to drop pretty quickly after his first couple of years. I think the team mishandled him from early on but I also think he and his agent did not help the situation either. I don't think his representation has given him very good advice from day 1. Then as the years went on, I think his value has kept dropping.

My hope is that they do not have to pay to get rid of him and they can get some kind of asset for him but at the end of the day the true value he has is freeing up the 3 mill in cap space.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #816952 is a reply to message #816946 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 15:28

Sadly I think the value of JP started to drop pretty quickly after his first couple of years. I think the team mishandled him from early on but I also think he and his agent did not help the situation either. I don't think his representation has given him very good advice from day 1. Then as the years went on, I think his value has kept dropping.

My hope is that they do not have to pay to get rid of him and they can get some kind of asset for him but at the end of the day the true value he has is freeing up the 3 mill in cap space.

I'm thinking we at least get a third for him and possibly a conditional 3rd if he re-signed with new team and doesn't head off for Europe. I can dream.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817008 is a reply to message #816952 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 17:48

I'm thinking we at least get a third for him and possibly a conditional 3rd if he re-signed with new team and doesn't head off for Europe. I can dream.

He’ll be traded to Anaheim and will sign an extension there.

Will be interesting to see what Eakins can get out of him.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817011 is a reply to message #817008 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 21:01

For 35 games? I hope his next coach is good.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817023 is a reply to message #817011 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 21:19

Eakins has been a solid soldier for that franchise. Can’t imagine they’re competitive next season so I can see a world he is back on a 2 year contract which he may or may not see to full term.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817040 is a reply to message #817023 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 21:41

Eakins has been a solid soldier for that franchise. Can’t imagine they’re competitive next season so I can see a world he is back on a 2 year contract which he may or may not see to full term.

Eakins is there to try to help them get Connor Bedard. If they are successful in that mission, then they're going to launch him in to the sun as fast as they can. At some point it becomes detrimental to the development of your young talent to have them playing under one of the top five worst coaches of all-time.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817042 is a reply to message #817040 ]
Thu, 19 January 2023 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Eakins might become an attractive option for all the tanking teams. He’s like the Doink the Clown of wrestling. A running joke that expected to lose, but still collects a healthy paycheque.

If Eakins ever gets sick of that role, give me a call. I’ll bring sugary treats back at my own cost, with a 1/8 the win total. I’d be much watch television.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817149 is a reply to message #817040 ]
Mon, 23 January 2023 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 22:46

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 19 January 2023 21:41

Eakins is there to try to help them get Connor Bedard. If they are successful in that mission, then they're going to launch him in to the sun as fast as they can. At some point it becomes detrimental to the development of your young talent to have them playing under one of the top five worst coaches of all-time.

Truly believe this too, don’t need Bedard chopping wood and carrying water.
If they win the Bedard draft, they have Gibson and some decent pieces to build around for sure but will need a much better coach.

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817787 is a reply to message #808823 ]
Thu, 09 February 2023 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec

For those waiting to see if Jesse Puljujarvi's name is on the waiver wire tmw, it's sounding less likely Yamamoto will play Sunday, so no roster movement required.
Not a 'for sure' — it's an injury.
But when Yamo is ready, we're pretty certain that Puljujarvi gets waived.

A waiver pickup would be quite a way for Jesse's Oilers career to end.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Puljujarvi's Extension [message #817792 is a reply to message #817787 ]
Thu, 09 February 2023 18:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 09 February 2023 18:03

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec

For those waiting to see if Jesse Puljujarvi's name is on the waiver wire tmw, it's sounding less likely Yamamoto will play Sunday, so no roster movement required.
Not a 'for sure' — it's an injury.
But when Yamo is ready, we're pretty certain that Puljujarvi gets waived.

A waiver pickup would be quite a way for Jesse's Oilers career to end.

Unbelievable that the Oilers would signal this ahead of the trade deadline. Why? How does that possibly benefit the team? And isn’t Devin Shore still on this roster?!

Pages (6): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  >  »]  
Previous Topic:2022-23 Trade Speculation Thread
Next Topic:Ryan Reaves
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca