This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814195 is a reply to message #814186 ]
Fri, 18 November 2022 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 November 2022 09:43

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 15:39

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 12:18

Part of the Oilers problem is I think they have too many players who I deem dimensionless on their team.

I can tell you were listening to Stauffer today! I think someone called in and coined the term "dimensionless" .. to describe the bottom 6.. which I thought is a perfect term for them.. can't score, not hard on the forecheck, make defensive mistakes, weak in their own zone, and bring zero threat of physicality or intimidation (maybe Foegle.. recently)

Can't have "dimensionless" players on a contending NHL team = Oiler problem (one of..)

You guys are yearning for the Steve Tambellini era, when every guy signed would have a specific role. A fighter, a designated hitter, a penalty killer or two, a face-off guy...that's just a really bad strategy for building teams.

Didn't say anything remotely like that.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814283 is a reply to message #814174 ]
Sun, 20 November 2022 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 14:39

Part of the Oilers problem is I think they have too many players who I deem dimensionless on their team.

I can tell you were listening to Stauffer today! I think someone called in and coined the term "dimensionless" .. to describe the bottom 6.. which I thought is a perfect term for them.. can't score, not hard on the forecheck, make defensive mistakes, weak in their own zone, and bring zero threat of physicality or intimidation (maybe Foegle.. recently)

Can't have "dimensionless" players on a contending NHL team = Oiler problem (one of..)

We are definitely a dimensionless team. We have half a dozen forwards that are all pretty much the same average joe bottom sixer. If you have guys that aren’t scoring then they need to do something that might help in another way like forecheck and PK.

As is we #28 on the PK at 73%

And outside our best five forwards, the rest are at best trending to a 20 point season.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814286 is a reply to message #814283 ]
Sun, 20 November 2022 17:52 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 20 November 2022 16:27

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 17 November 2022 14:39

We are definitely a dimensionless team. We have half a dozen forwards that are all pretty much the same average joe bottom sixer. If you have guys that aren’t scoring then they need to do something that might help in another way like forecheck and PK.

As is we #28 on the PK at 73%

And outside our best five forwards, the rest are at best trending to a 20 point season.

I think the difference to me is that when people like Stauffer talk about "dimension" they mean hitting and fighting. You actually hit the nail on the head though - it is about scoring. Your fourth line is generally playing against the other team's fourth liners, so if they're consistently getting outplayed and outscored, that is a problem. We need production from up and down the lineup.

I will say, I think that this conversation after the LA game (or the Vegas game for that matter) is a little out of place in that we've seen a couple games in a row where our third lines played quite well. They are forechecking, hitting and creating chances. They have outplayed the other team's depth guys. Against LA, the Kostin/McLeod/Jannmark line generated 6 shots - the most of any line. Against Vegas, with Puljujarvi in for Jannmark, that trio had 5 shots. They did give up one goal against though, which obviously is a black mark against them.

The problem isn't role, it's results. If they keep playing that way and getting opportunities, then theoretically they should start to see results.

If we want to talk about the fourth line? Maybe there's more there, although again, against LA they weren't really a problem. Holloway/Ryan/Shore had four shots in that game in limited minutes. The first line of Nuge/McDavid/Puljujarvi had just two shots between them and Foegele/Draisaitl/Hyman had five despite both units playing way more icetime. Holloway also had a pretty good look. In a tight game against a good Vegas team, the fourth line barely played, with Woodcroft completely shortening his bench after the second period.

I've long said that the Oilers need more from the depth, but we just made a pretty big shakeup and the last two games it has looked good. Those lines didn't cost us the LA game, and they were generally fine against Vegas.

If they keep playing like they are, I'd want to keep Kostin and Jannmark over Shore and Ryan when everyone is healthy.

Holloway? I don't know. He's playing better now than at the start of the season, there's been improvement for sure. But at 20 maybe he's better off building his confidence in the AHL. Maybe flip him for Seth Griffith? James Hamblin? Holloway might be the best player of that group eventually, but I'm not sure he is now, and I would hate to see him really lose confidence as he struggles to put up any kind of numbers here.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814180 is a reply to message #814126 ]
Thu, 17 November 2022 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Does D-Bag Edler get an NHL Hearing for his Knee on McD?[ 14 vote(s) ]
1.LOL!!! 11 / 79%
2.Absolutely 0 / 0%
3.Nurse gets a fine for instigating 2 / 14%
4.McDavid gets a warning for Embellishment 1 / 7%

Try the NHL Wheel of Justice!
If it was my app.. I'd add a parameter for which tier level NHL Corp considers the offending/receiving Teams.. 1st Tier (NYR, LAK, VGK, BOS.. etc ).. or bottom tier (EDM, WIN ..)
https://nhlwheelofjustice.netlify.app/

FYI.. I inputted Edler, knee-on-knee, but they didn't have McDavid in the dbase, so I put Hemsky.. result.. "Hockey Play" ! So maybe this algorithm does have tier level as a parameter.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 November 2022 17:10]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814185 is a reply to message #814180 ]
Fri, 18 November 2022 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Anyone else feeling weirdly confident about tomorrow?

Ya me either….

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814197 is a reply to message #814185 ]
Fri, 18 November 2022 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Damn dog. Her lucky bandana isn’t so lucky this year 😞
http://https://i.postimg.cc/0yRGbBcJ/image.jpg

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814199 is a reply to message #814197 ]
Fri, 18 November 2022 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

tardigrade81 wrote on Fri, 18 November 2022 18:34

Damn dog. Her lucky bandana isn’t so lucky this year 😞

Turn it upside down.. rally bandana time!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814281 is a reply to message #814180 ]
Sun, 20 November 2022 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

It seems NHL coverups of anti-oilers bias continues. Piece on whether Edler should have been suspended removed from Sportsnet. No surprise whatsoever.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814282 is a reply to message #814281 ]
Sun, 20 November 2022 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Sun, 20 November 2022 14:54

It seems NHL coverups of anti-oilers bias continues. Piece on whether Edler should have been suspended removed from Sportsnet. No surprise whatsoever.

It's still there, its not an article, it's just video from one of the intermissions last night. Not a big shock that Bieksa saw nothing wrong with it and blamed Connor for changing direction. Botteril thought it was fine too. Hrudy thought it deserved at least a game.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #17) [message #814284 is a reply to message #814282 ]
Sun, 20 November 2022 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 20 November 2022 16:23

welcometotheOC wrote on Sun, 20 November 2022 14:54

It's still there, its not an article, it's just video from one of the intermissions last night. Not a big shock that Bieksa saw nothing wrong with it and blamed Connor for changing direction. Botteril thought it was fine too. Hrudy thought it deserved at least a game.

I don’t see it at all, maybe just the mobile page? scrolled slowly through the whole home all the way the bottom…. looks buried to me. Should have been 5 games. Would have been if the target was Matthews or Crosby.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Next Topic:Pregame: Vegas @ Edmonton (Game #18)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca