This day on April 17
None

Happy Birthday To: blackgold, Doug, M00se, taisuke, oilfan2523, OilFans, EDM_oilfan6690, Darcy_183, tgdoctor

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813331]
Tue, 01 November 2022 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Nashville to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813340 is a reply to message #813331 ]
Tue, 01 November 2022 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

#IDon'tBelieveInCampbell

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813341 is a reply to message #813340 ]
Tue, 01 November 2022 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

#NeitherDoI

#NiceWinThough

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813343 is a reply to message #813341 ]
Tue, 01 November 2022 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

The top end of this team is phenomenal. Just ridiculously good players driving the bus for us.

I think there’s some good things from that third line but it would be nice to see them contribute on the score sheet and the PK has been glaringly bad. Campbell could be better too - but at least he’s getting the run support. I’m hoping he bounces back after a challenging start.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813355 is a reply to message #813343 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

5/6 of the top 6 are phenomenal. Yamamoto's paltry 0G-3A in over 17 minutes per game, almost exclusively in the top 6 sticks out like a sore thumb.

On the one hand we're scoring enough goals, so it's not a big deal, but I can't imagine other guys like JP, Holloway, or even Foegele getting at least 3 points given the same opportunity. I know he's pretty streaky (got more than half his points last year in March and April), but would be nice to see him find a bit more consistency.

Didn't see any glaring problems from our D (thought Nurse was very good again), but our PK really needs tighten up. We've allowed a PP goal in 9 of 10 games. 73.3% PK is not a winning formula. Thankfully it's offset by the 33%+ PP, but still, it is an area of concern.

And the officiating - these last 2 games are the first in a long time I remember feeling we weren't getting screwed. Even some calls they didn't make against us, and a couple of PPs we got I thought were soft. I won't complain, but certainly not something I'm used to watching Oilers hockey.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813356 is a reply to message #813355 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 09:32

5/6 of the top 6 are phenomenal. Yamamoto's paltry 0G-3A in over 17 minutes per game, almost exclusively in the top 6 sticks out like a sore thumb.

On the one hand we're scoring enough goals, so it's not a big deal, but I can't imagine other guys like JP, Holloway, or even Foegele getting at least 3 points given the same opportunity. I know he's pretty streaky (got more than half his points last year in March and April), but would be nice to see him find a bit more consistency.

Didn't see any glaring problems from our D (thought Nurse was very good again), but our PK really needs tighten up. We've allowed a PP goal in 9 of 10 games. 73.3% PK is not a winning formula. Thankfully it's offset by the 33%+ PP, but still, it is an area of concern.

And the officiating - these last 2 games are the first in a long time I remember feeling we weren't getting screwed. Even some calls they didn't make against us, and a couple of PPs we got I thought were soft. I won't complain, but certainly not something I'm used to watching Oilers hockey.

I was watching Yamamoto pretty closely last night. One thing that I noticed was that he was an absolute bulldog on the forecheck, and he would do a great job of keeping pucks in the zone / forcing turnovers. That would allow his teammates to get the puck, then make a couple of passes, leading to a goal.
He's not showing up on the scoresheet, because the assists went to the teammates who made the passes after recovering the pucks that he forced loose, but they wouldn't have had that opportunity without his hard work along the boards.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813365 is a reply to message #813356 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I don't think Yams got the credit he deserved for the GWG vs Chicago the other night. It was a good forecheck. That might be one of the most well-deserved second assists you'll see

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813398 is a reply to message #813343 ]
Thu, 03 November 2022 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 01 November 2022 21:53

The top end of this team is phenomenal. Just ridiculously good players driving the bus for us.

I think there’s some good things from that third line but it would be nice to see them contribute on the score sheet and the PK has been glaringly bad. Campbell could be better too - but at least he’s getting the run support. I’m hoping he bounces back after a challenging start.

Reminds me of Jack Morris in 1992. 21-6 with an ungodly ERA and a ton of run support. Not throwing away Campbell yet, because he couldn't be much worse. He needs to figure it our soon though. He is getting paid to be slightly above average, and right now we would all be happy with consistently 'just' average.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813345 is a reply to message #813331 ]
Tue, 01 November 2022 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Good thing Edmonton had it going, this would have been losable if Saros had been lights out. Way closer than it should have been.

Camp roll has some things to work on. Good thing Skinner is playing well, it affords Soup the time to do it, they're going to need him.

Might have been Nurse's best game of the year. Otherwise the Oilers studs did their thing.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813346 is a reply to message #813331 ]
Tue, 01 November 2022 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Campbell - TOI 368:21 - 5.05 GF/60 - 3.91 GA/60 - 3.46 xGF/60 - 3.16 xGA/60
Campbell record 5-2-0

Skinner - TOI 226:45 - 2.38 GF/60 - 1.59 GA/60 - 3.49 xGF/60 - 3.5 xGA/60
Skinner record 2-1-0

At the very least starts should be 50/50. The scoring luck in front of Campbell probably isn't gonna last forever.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813350 is a reply to message #813346 ]
Tue, 01 November 2022 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 01 November 2022 22:07

Campbell - TOI 368:21 - 5.05 GF/60 - 3.91 GA/60 - 3.46 xGF/60 - 3.16 xGA/60
Campbell record 5-2-0

Skinner - TOI 226:45 - 2.38 GF/60 - 1.59 GA/60 - 3.49 xGF/60 - 3.5 xGA/60
Skinner record 2-1-0

At the very least starts should be 50/50. The scoring luck in front of Campbell probably isn't gonna last forever.

I'd suggest that the way the starts have been doled out this week, that that may very well be what's going to happen - at least until Campbell settles down and starts playing better.

Skinner got the tough starts this week, and Campbell the easy ones...that is showing the hand from the coach to an extent.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813348 is a reply to message #813331 ]
Tue, 01 November 2022 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Enjoy McDavid trying to rack up goals this season. Matthews getting all the praise last year for his goalscoring being so valuable must have hit a nerve. Go for 60!

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813353 is a reply to message #813348 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 01 November 2022 21:16

Enjoy McDavid trying to rack up goals this season. Matthews getting all the praise last year for his goalscoring being so valuable must have hit a nerve. Go for 60!

It’s early yet but would be incredible to see a 50 in 50.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813354 is a reply to message #813353 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 04:23

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 01 November 2022 21:16

It’s early yet but would be incredible to see a 50 in 50.

But then what would the narrative out of Toronto be?

Seriously though - would be awesome to see, and I believe he can do it. I was hoping for his 3rd hat trick of the year last night, but whatever - 2 is good.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813352 is a reply to message #813331 ]
Tue, 01 November 2022 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Liked seeing Puljujarvi utilizing his Bison bulk to have a literal impact on the Preds .. you can tell he is getting more comfortable engaging the body.. little more every game.. especially positive that he has his most physically engaging game vs. one of the most physical NHL teams.. loved the dust up at the end of the game.. icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813358 is a reply to message #813352 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Koskinen and Smith are gone so I see some fans are turning their hate to Campbell now.

Yes I would like to see his numbers be better but when I watch the Oilers play infront of Campbell every game, they are SOOO loose.

First goal deflects off Ceci's skate and Campbell has to make an instant reaction save. Should Campbell handled the rebound better? I don't know. It was bang bang and lots of times those go in. Leon watches Ekholm cruise by him to fire it in. Ekholm is a decent skater but he's not McD. How about pick the open guy up as a center, isn't that part of your job?

Second goal. Johanson is just standing right in front of the net all by himself waiting for a tip as Bouchard stands beside him hanging out. Doesn't tie him up, doesn't do anything. Just standing there. Niemelainen is behind Johanson but Bouchard is close enough to touch him and does nothing. Text book tip in goal. I guess Campbell should have made a 10 bell save.

3rd goal was a cross ice 1 timer from the faceoff dot by a guy who had 42 goals last year. In my opinion, unless the guy misses his shot, that's a goal that should happen 10 out of 10 and if you watch, Campbell got a piece of it. To me, you can't let that pass get across especially not completely clean and you definitely shouldn't let their best scorer stand there all by himself in what I call a premium scoring spot. But I guess Campbell who had to slide all the way across should stop that.

4th goal. Guys in front. Puck is moving from one side to the other, pass comes out of the corner to a guy cruising unmarked through the high slot 12 ft from the goal and redirects the puck in through Campbell's legs as he's trying to move across. Another goal where unless the guy misses his shot and hits the goalie by accident, that's a goal 10 out of 10 times.

He wins games and seems to make big saves at key times when they need it. When Skinner is in, I don't see the Oilers giving up the 10 bell chances against like they do with Campbell but I guess Campbell needs to make more miraculous saves. confused2

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813361 is a reply to message #813358 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 12:38

Koskinen and Smith are gone so I see some fans are turning their hate to Campbell now.

Yes I would like to see his numbers be better but when I watch the Oilers play infront of Campbell every game, they are SOOO loose.

First goal deflects off Ceci's skate and Campbell has to make an instant reaction save. Should Campbell handled the rebound better? I don't know. It was bang bang and lots of times those go in. Leon watches Ekholm cruise by him to fire it in. Ekholm is a decent skater but he's not McD. How about pick the open guy up as a center, isn't that part of your job?

Second goal. Johanson is just standing right in front of the net all by himself waiting for a tip as Bouchard stands beside him hanging out. Doesn't tie him up, doesn't do anything. Just standing there. Niemelainen is behind Johanson but Bouchard is close enough to touch him and does nothing. Text book tip in goal. I guess Campbell should have made a 10 bell save.

3rd goal was a cross ice 1 timer from the faceoff dot by a guy who had 42 goals last year. In my opinion, unless the guy misses his shot, that's a goal that should happen 10 out of 10 and if you watch, Campbell got a piece of it. To me, you can't let that pass get across especially not completely clean and you definitely shouldn't let their best scorer stand there all by himself in what I call a premium scoring spot. But I guess Campbell who had to slide all the way across should stop that.

4th goal. Guys in front. Puck is moving from one side to the other, pass comes out of the corner to a guy cruising unmarked through the high slot 12 ft from the goal and redirects the puck in through Campbell's legs as he's trying to move across. Another goal where unless the guy misses his shot and hits the goalie by accident, that's a goal 10 out of 10 times.

He wins games and seems to make big saves at key times when they need it. When Skinner is in, I don't see the Oilers giving up the 10 bell chances against like they do with Campbell but I guess Campbell needs to make more miraculous saves. confused2

I didn't think any of the goals were weak at all, but Campbell is 58th in GAA at 3.91, and 52nd in save % at .881.

Goalies, especially the $5M variety, are paid to make pretty much all the routine save PLUS some difficult ones.

Fact is, he's 3rd worst in the entire league at stopping high danger chances. I know you're not a huge fan of "advanced" stats, but this one is pretty straighforward

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason= 20222023&thruseason=20222023&stype=2&sit=all& ;amp ;score=all&stdoi=g&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S& ;amp ;loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410 &lines=single&draftteam=ALL

So no - he hasn't let in too many of those weak very stoppable back breakers we've grown accustomed to from Koskinen and Smith. But he's also stopped fewer of the high danger chances than almost every other goalie in the league.

No team plays perfect D. Goalies WILL be called on to make big saves. Campbell hasn't answered that call too often this year.

But with all that said - I'm still thrilled with our duo. Much happier with our goaltending than I have been in probably 15 years. Just need him to settle in and stop a few more of those chances while still not allowing the weak ones and we should be golden.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2022 10:06]

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813363 is a reply to message #813361 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 10:04

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 12:38

I didn't think any of the goals were weak at all, but Campbell is 58th in GAA at 3.91, and 52nd in save % at .881.

Goalies, especially the $5M variety, are paid to make pretty much all the routine save PLUS some difficult ones.

Fact is, he's 3rd worst in the entire league at stopping high danger chances. I know you're not a huge fan of "advanced" stats, but this one is pretty straighforward

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason= 20222023&thruseason=20222023&stype=2&sit=all& ;amp ;amp ;score=all&stdoi=g&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S& ;amp ;amp ;loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410 &lines=single&draftteam=ALL

So no - he hasn't let in too many of those weak very stoppable back breakers we've grown accustomed to from Koskinen and Smith. But he's also stopped fewer of the high danger chances than almost every other goalie in the league.

No team plays perfect D. Goalies WILL be called on to make big saves. Campbell hasn't answered that call too often this year.

But with all that said - I'm still thrilled with our duo. Much happier with our goaltending than I have been in probably 15 years. Just need him to settle in and stop a few more of those chances while still not allowing the weak ones and we should be golden.

I 100% agree the numbers need to go up for Campbell but when I watch the Oilers play in front of Campbell then Skinner, in my opinion it's not close. I see guys standing in front of Campbell all by himself to wack away. I see guys left wide open for 1 timers and open looks who if that was an Oiler and they didn't score I would be yelling how did you miss that. IF he was letting in a ton of long ranger floaters like Koskinen loved to do, then I would be upset but I just see the Oilers leaving the guy out to dry all the time. I even think of the amount of breakaways he's faced in his starts, last night might be the first game he didn't face one I think. But again, if that was an Oiler on a breakaway and he didn't score, I'd be saying he needed to score there.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813362 is a reply to message #813358 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 11:38

I agree, I think Campbell is not being given much help, especially on the PK. In games that Campbell has played in our PK has been ~70% and 10/24 goals scored on him are when we are down a man. If anyone knows where we can find his even strength save percentage then I think that is a better measure for him at this point.

I think it is fair to say that he hasn't had a ton of highlight reel saves this season, and Skinner might have more of those in fewer games. I don't think Campbell is playing terribly though and while I hope he does improve on where he is now, I think that a focus on the PK would be better than a focus on a goalie. I think we have two goalies right now that can give us a chance to win any given night, and we're all a little shell shocked by the goalie roller-coaster the last 3 years of Smith and Koskonen that it is natural for us to point the finger there.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813364 is a reply to message #813362 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 10:14

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 11:38

I agree, I think Campbell is not being given much help, especially on the PK. In games that Campbell has played in our PK has been ~70% and 10/24 goals scored on him are when we are down a man. If anyone knows where we can find his even strength save percentage then I think that is a better measure for him at this point.

I think it is fair to say that he hasn't had a ton of highlight reel saves this season, and Skinner might have more of those in fewer games. I don't think Campbell is playing terribly though and while I hope he does improve on where he is now, I think that a focus on the PK would be better than a focus on a goalie. I think we have two goalies right now that can give us a chance to win any given night, and we're all a little shell shocked by the goalie roller-coaster the last 3 years of Smith and Koskonen that it is natural for us to point the finger there.

OH man, their PK coverage is terrible right now. Campbell I am sure would agree he needs to be better and I think he does as well but I find myself when Campbell is in yelling for the Oilers to pick up a man and I don't when Skinner is playing. So they seem to know how to do it for Skinner but don't for Campbell so it has to be a mindset thing of the starter is in so we can cheat for offense more.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813366 is a reply to message #813362 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 13:14

If anyone knows where we can find his even strength save percentage then I think that is a better measure for him at this point.

It looks better at ES, but not great. 38th with a .907 Save %, 38th with a 2.85GAA, and still 3rd worst (64th) in high danger save % (.714).

So Campbell definitely looks better at ES. The PK has been pretty leaky and many of those really were quite unstoppable.

While I was there, pretty cool to see an Oiler goalie at the top of those stats. Skinner is #1 in Save % in all situations at .955, and #2 in GAA at 1.59.

Even better - At even strength, he's #1 in both save % (.972) and GAA (0.98), and by a pretty big margin (2nd place are .972 and 1.16) icon_eek

Anyway - Campbell hasn't been bad. Hopefully he continues to make the saves he is expected to make and then starts making a few of the more difficult ones.

Again - pretty happy with this tandem thus far. Clean up the PK and Campbell's stats should get a nice bump.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813367 is a reply to message #813366 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 11:10

If anyone knows where we can find his even strength save percentage then I think that is a better measure for him at this point.

It looks better at ES, but not great. 38th with a .907 Save %, 38th with a 2.85GAA, and still 3rd worst (64th) in high danger save % (.714).

So Campbell definitely looks better at ES. The PK has been pretty leaky and many of those really were quite unstoppable.

While I was there, pretty cool to see an Oiler goalie at the top of those stats. Skinner is #1 in Save % in all situations at .955, and #2 in GAA at 1.59.

Even better - At even strength, he's #1 in both save % (.972) and GAA (0.98), and by a pretty big margin (2nd place are .972 and 1.16) icon_eek

Anyway - Campbell hasn't been bad. Hopefully he continues to make the saves he is expected to make and then starts making a few of the more difficult ones.

Again - pretty happy with this tandem thus far. Clean up the PK and Campbell's stats should get a nice bump.

What makes me feel better about the goaltending is the Oilers have been playing and winning games with mediocre to at times bad goaltending for years. They don't rely on their goalies to stand on their heads like I think the team to the south does. So when Campbell settles in and just gives them middle of the league goaltending and if Skinner can just give them middle of the league goaltending which he's done better than that, I think the Oilers will be very difficult to beat.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813374 is a reply to message #813366 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 13:10

Thanks for looking that up. I'm curious, where are you finding stats like that?

I agree, the high danger save percentage is probably the most troubling, but I wonder is that high danger in all situations, or high danger just at even strength? If at even strength then yes, that is the worst stat he has, but I'm hoping that he can improve there as the games go on.

And I know everyone is high on Skinner, but he also has only playing in 4 games this season. He has looked really good, and I thought he looked good last year as well, but I don't think he has played enough for us to say he is better than Campbell, just that he is the hot goalie right now and we should ride the hot goalie in the tough games more.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813375 is a reply to message #813374 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

oilfan94 wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 17:05

Thanks for looking that up. I'm curious, where are you finding stats like that?

NP. And I found those here

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason= 20222023&thruseason=20222023&stype=2&sit=pk& score=all&stdoi=g&rate=n&team=ALL&pos=S& loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410& amp;lines=single&draftteam=ALL

Filters at the top for different situations, time frames, etc...

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813357 is a reply to message #813331 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

I laughed at the tweet saying the Oilers need at least 6 to win the game, but Campbell certainly not winning the game they are winning in spite of him. It's concerning.

I have way more faith in Skinner than I do with Campbell right now, and boy do I hate the souuuup chant every time the guy make a basic save.

Campbell needs to be better and that's it full stop. I'm told (from main stream media) he's a real slow starter and by mid season he should be a lot more comfortable,but that remains to be seen I hope they are right. You can't go far with weak goaltending.

The fighting major on JP was laughable. He is using his super big frame, but time will tell if he remains effective as a checking forward.

Connor is on fire and he has something to prove and Draisaitl is the unsung hero of this team, just steady production from him when the light is all on Connor. We are awfully lucky to have these two on the team.... for now.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813359 is a reply to message #813357 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 09:20

I laughed at the tweet saying the Oilers need at least 6 to win the game, but Campbell certainly not winning the game they are winning in spite of him. It's concerning.

I have way more faith in Skinner than I do with Campbell right now, and boy do I hate the souuuup chant every time the guy make a basic save.

Campbell needs to be better and that's it full stop. I'm told (from main stream media) he's a real slow starter and by mid season he should be a lot more comfortable,but that remains to be seen I hope they are right. You can't go far with weak goaltending.

The fighting major on JP was laughable. He is using his super big frame, but time will tell if he remains effective as a checking forward.

Connor is on fire and he has something to prove and Draisaitl is the unsung hero of this team, just steady production from him when the light is all on Connor. We are awfully lucky to have these two on the team.... for now.

Just curious which goals should Campbell of stopped last night?

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813360 is a reply to message #813359 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Does anyone know what Yamo's injury was in preseason? I don't think he's dragging the line down and he seems to make the odd play that contributes to the goals but he is beyond snake bitten and isn't even shooting. I think they just have to ride it out with him as I am against moving JP up. This isn't JP hate, I just think he looks great on the line with Foegele and McLeod. That line plays really well. They skate and forecheck hard, aren't a defensive liability, JP is even physical and with any kind of puck luck, that line would have more goals as they generate a lot of chances. He looks very comfortable on that line and looks perfectly slotted so I don't want to break up an extremely good line.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813373 is a reply to message #813359 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 08:40

The first goal was stoppable. When Campbell is on his game he will absorb that redirect and smother it instead of kicking it out into a danger spot. To me that kick looked like a goalie who is not comfortable. Draisaitl didn't help by giving the Pred the free lane to the net, but still, it should have been stopped.

I'm not a downer on Campbell. He will come around and Skinner will falter once the league figures him out. Just noting that it's obvious he is fighting things right now.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813376 is a reply to message #813373 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Steve wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 14:03

The first goal was stoppable. When Campbell is on his game he will absorb that redirect and smother it instead of kicking it out into a danger spot. To me that kick looked like a goalie who is not comfortable. Draisaitl didn't help by giving the Pred the free lane to the net, but still, it should have been stopped.

I'm not a downer on Campbell. He will come around and Skinner will falter once the league figures him out. Just noting that it's obvious he is fighting things right now.

I was listening to Gregor's show and he had a current goalie coach who used to be a NHL goalie say on the first one that he should have used his stick to pop the puck up. I will obviously believe the guy but I still have a hard time putting any fault on the goalie when an Oiler sat there and watched the Pred pass him and go right to the goal. You get taught as a kid to not let the opposition do that. If Leon ties up his man like he should, that doesn't go in.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813377 is a reply to message #813376 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 13:56

Steve wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 14:03

I was listening to Gregor's show and he had a current goalie coach who used to be a NHL goalie say on the first one that he should have used his stick to pop the puck up. I will obviously believe the guy but I still have a hard time putting any fault on the goalie when an Oiler sat there and watched the Pred pass him and go right to the goal. You get taught as a kid to not let the opposition do that. If Leon ties up his man like he should, that doesn't go in.

Yeah, I got that Hockey 101 bit from guys that played as kids. "Pucks don't score on their own, tie up their stick and that's one less goal."

If you are expecting a goalie to stop cross ice pass to a shot in the slot, then you're leaving your goalie out to dry.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813399 is a reply to message #813359 ]
Thu, 03 November 2022 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 09:40

At least one of the four that got by him. It is an expectation that your goalie will bail you out from time-to-time.

Although, I am not too worried. He has been less than stellar in every game, but he has made those saves for us in every one of his other starts to date. I am not going to be like a Flames an and give up on a new acquisition this early (Hubredeau).

Re: Review: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #10) [message #813400 is a reply to message #813399 ]
Thu, 03 November 2022 13:55 Go to previous message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 03 November 2022 13:32

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 November 2022 09:40

At least one of the four that got by him. It is an expectation that your goalie will bail you out from time-to-time.

Although, I am not too worried. He has been less than stellar in every game, but he has made those saves for us in every one of his other starts to date. I am not going to be like a Flames an and give up on a new acquisition this early (Hubredeau).

The only one I thought he could have maybe done something better was the first one. It was a bang bang play and the save was a pure reaction one but maybe if he could have done something different on the rebound, it doesn't fall right on Ekholms stick. The rest I think if they didn't score, the Preds guys just flat out missed an easy goal.

Previous Topic:Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #11)
Next Topic:Drafting signing and trading
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca