This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Summer 2022 Signing/Trade threadPages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811821 is a reply to message #811820 ]
Mon, 12 September 2022 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 12 September 2022 16:32

Rodrigues scored 19 goals this past year going into his UFA years. Before that, his highest total was 9. I think the Avs overpaid for him especially this last in the offseason.

How much would you give for a guy who had, say, 10, 13, 10 and 12 goals the last four seasons and lacked Rodrigues' high water mark for points?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811833 is a reply to message #811821 ]
Tue, 13 September 2022 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 September 2022 16:58

Rodrigues scored 19 goals this past year going into his UFA years. Before that, his highest total was 9. I think the Avs overpaid for him especially this last in the offseason.

How much would you give for a guy who had, say, 10, 13, 10 and 12 goals the last four seasons and lacked Rodrigues' high water mark for points?

At this point in the offseason when if you haven't received a contract yet, you probably have to go the PTO route or you aren't getting one at all. I'd go as high as 1 mill. If you have been able to score that amount of goals, either you and your agent got to greedy and totally misread the market turning down earlier deals or you are old and can't skate.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811822 is a reply to message #811820 ]
Mon, 12 September 2022 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Don't think he will have a problem scoring with the Avs. But I think the avs care more that he will be a guy pushing possession for them. They don't have to worry about scoring goals, their issue will continue to be limiting chances against because they always have a question mark in net. More players that know how to be on the right side of the puck, the more they can shelter their goalies from work.

Hard to say 1 year at 2M is an overpay anyways. Makes Foegele's deal that we wish we could dump look horrible.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 September 2022 17:16]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811823 is a reply to message #811822 ]
Mon, 12 September 2022 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 September 2022 16:14

Don't think he will have a problem scoring with the Avs. But I think the avs care more that he will be a guy pushing possession for them. They don't have to worry about scoring goals, their issue will continue to be limiting chances against because they always have a question mark in net. More players that know how to be on the right side of the puck, the more they can shelter their goalies from work.

Hard to say 1 year at 2M is an overpay anyways. Makes Foegele's deal that we wish we could dump look horrible.

Yeah, pretty smart betting once again by the Avs. MacKinnon's new deal can't come soon enough (rumored will be the highest paid player in league).

Clean house or bust

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811834 is a reply to message #811822 ]
Tue, 13 September 2022 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 September 2022 17:14

If the Oilers announced they made that signing of Rodrigue, do you think it would have been received as a win by the fan base?

Maybe its the cynic in me for being in this site but I feel like if the Oilers signed that deal, it would have been met with some if not all of the following:
- Classic overpay for the time of year by the Oilers. At this time of year, they should be getting guys for around league minimum.
- Management hasn't learned from past mistakes and are still incompetent.
- Paying a guy based on 1 good season when the rest he hasn't came close is another example of them overvaluing a small sample size.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811835 is a reply to message #811834 ]
Tue, 13 September 2022 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 13 September 2022 09:01

If the Oilers announced they made that signing of Rodrigue, do you think it would have been received as a win by the fan base?

Maybe its the cynic in me for being in this site but I feel like if the Oilers signed that deal, it would have been met with some if not all of the following:
- Classic overpay for the time of year by the Oilers. At this time of year, they should be getting guys for around league minimum.
- Paying a guy based on 1 good season when the rest he hasn't came close is another example of them overvaluing a small sample size.

If we needed a solid winger, yeah, I think 2M x 1 would have been fine for a guy that has put up good possession stats and has shown he can keep up with good players. 2M x 3 years would have been the Oilers move though and would have had complaints.

Kinda lost why 750k over what a team can bury on a 1 year deal for a guy that will likely end up playing very well for Colorado is something to stick our nose up at.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811836 is a reply to message #811834 ]
Tue, 13 September 2022 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I think it largely depends what else was to happen.
If they just signed him to 2 mil, we'd want to know how we're paying for that and that it was a dumb move if we haven't solved any other issues.
If we had Barrie and Foegle traded and signed him to 2 mil, I think that'd be a win, depending what the return was for those players.

He's actually incredibly close to PJ's skillset and production. If he had signed this earlier in the offseason, PJ and Yams likely would have come in at a similar salary

https://stathead.com/hockey/pcomp_finder.cgi?request=1&s um=0&player_id1=rodriev01&player_id2=puljuje01

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811895 is a reply to message #811834 ]
Thu, 15 September 2022 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

This site made you into a cynic? Yikes! Time for me to take an inventory. What was I like before Oilfans?

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811898 is a reply to message #811895 ]
Fri, 16 September 2022 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 15 September 2022 22:13

This site made you into a cynic? Yikes! Time for me to take an inventory. What was I like before Oilfans?

I have no doubt in my mind that if the Oilers signed the same deal, the usual suspects would be ripping it calling it another example of another incompetent overpay.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811914 is a reply to message #811895 ]
Fri, 16 September 2022 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 15 September 2022 22:13

I was a true believer in the Oilers before Oilfans. I blamed the players they blamed. I consumed their product how they wanted me to consume it. Between Comrie and Souray, Oilfans changed me.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811824 is a reply to message #811812 ]
Mon, 12 September 2022 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 12 September 2022 13:45

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 12 September 2022 14:41

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 12 September 2022 09:46

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 12 September 2022 10:40

Another off the list E. Rodrigue signs with Avs for $2M x 1
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/15693334820353228 83?cxt=HHwWhoC9rZefsscrAAAA

Value! Budget! Patience!

To be fair it seems Rodrigue has consistency issues.. blazing starts, then Sahara like dry spells..
I guess we'll see.. same with JP

Every player has warts. If someone is consistently great, it's incredibly difficult to get them at $2MM late in the off-season. I think that the good teams understand that as long as the price point is right, that it can make sense to take on incomplete players who can still be solid contributors in the right role.

.. and I just described his warts.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811864 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Wed, 14 September 2022 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Frank Seravalli@frank_seravalli
#Sens sign Tyler Motte: 1 year x $1.35 million.
8:18 AM · Sep 14, 2022

Tyler Mott signs.. decent player.. likely lower than what he thought at the start of UFA, chairs getting fewer.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811968 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Mon, 19 September 2022 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Sonny Milano signs PTO with Calgary.. good signing..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811973 is a reply to message #811968 ]
Mon, 19 September 2022 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 19 September 2022 16:48

Troll PTO. To contrast with us giving one to Virtanen so all the fans can get extra mad at the Oilers.

Honestly though, why is Milano having such a hard time getting a deal? Should be in demand. Maybe wants to have a good pre-season to hype his value up a bit to have some better options.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811974 is a reply to message #811973 ]
Tue, 20 September 2022 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 19 September 2022 22:37

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 19 September 2022 16:48

Honestly though, why is Milano having such a hard time getting a deal? Should be in demand. Maybe wants to have a good pre-season to hype his value up a bit to have some better options.

Good point.. his stats are pretty good, could just be a case of him holding out for too much, too long, teams with cap space eventually used it on players with a more affordable cost to skill ratio.. I think Flames have $2M cap space available, better chance of getting the $2+M he wanted.. his agent definitely overplayed their hand.. he kept holding out for $3+M

Still don't know why Oilers focused on getting Janmark for $1.25M.. hope they have some top secret numbers on him.. he smells a bit like a Eric Belanger Part II

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #811999 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Tue, 20 September 2022 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Zdeno Chara and PK Subban both retire.. and update.. Keith Yandle too!

Chara had an incredible career after starting out in the WHL, way up in Prince George, BC..

[Updated on: Tue, 20 September 2022 14:30]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #812069 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Wed, 21 September 2022 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Hockey Players With Animals (And Other Chaos) @animalsofhockey
Alexander Romanov has been Lou Lamoriello’d

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdMP8HlX0AA59TR?format=jpg&name=360x360
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdMP8HoWQAUMFVp?format=jpg&name=360x360

Lou still ruling with the iron razor.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #812289 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Tue, 04 October 2022 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Lou losing his mind control abilities..

Barzal signs for $9.15M x 8
Must expect the cap to rise quite a bit..
Maybe Nurse's contract will look good in 3 years..

Quote:

Frank Seravalli@frank_seravalli
Mathew Barzal's extension with #isles is a whopper. 8 years, $73.2 million, for an AAV of $9.15 million.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #812293 is a reply to message #812289 ]
Tue, 04 October 2022 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I did read yesterday that the owners are all expecting a 'steep' increase next year.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #812294 is a reply to message #812293 ]
Tue, 04 October 2022 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 04 October 2022 14:20

I did read yesterday that the owners are all expecting a 'steep' increase next year.

I wonder if they're going to find people and businesses don't have as much free money to spend on premium entertainment products. I think inflation will force the number up, but maybe not by as much as they're expecting.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Weegar signed 8 years / $50M, $6.25M AAV [message #812383 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daftmonk  is currently offline Daftmonk

No Cups

https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-mackenzie-weegar-eight-yea r-50-million-contract-extension-1.1859158

Have to admit, pretty solid deal considering pretty similar statistics to Nurse.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." — Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Re: Weegar signed 8 years / $50M, $6.25M AAV [message #812390 is a reply to message #812383 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Daftmonk wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 10:39

https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-mackenzie-weegar-eight-yea r-50-million-contract-extension-1.1859158

Have to admit, pretty solid deal considering pretty similar statistics to Nurse.

Oof, that's a very team friendly deal for the Flames. Do not like at all.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Weegar signed 8 years / $50M, $6.25M AAV [message #812392 is a reply to message #812390 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 11:41

Is he that good? I honestly don't know. It will take him to age 36, so it's not without risk.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Weegar signed 8 years / $50M, $6.25M AAV [message #812393 is a reply to message #812392 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Steve wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 13:42

Is he that good? I honestly don't know. It will take him to age 36, so it's not without risk.

His stats look very good no matter how you look right now.

Gotta hope some of his success was because of how Florida played overall :)

If he and Huberdeau end up producing the same, I guess all we can do is curse the Florida GM for being a panicky turd after the playoff sweep. All accounts were that Huberdeau was sitting and waiting to work out a long term deal with Florida before he was traded.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Weegar signed 8 years / $50M, $6.25M AAV [message #812395 is a reply to message #812393 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 13:55

If he and Huberdeau end up producing the same, I guess all we can do is curse the Florida GM for being a panicky turd after the playoff sweep. All accounts were that Huberdeau was sitting and waiting to work out a long term deal with Florida before he was traded.

Weegar is really solid. They made an absolutely great trade this summer, as much as it pains me to say it.

Their GM is all in on the next 5-6 years, and clearly doesn't give a single care to what happens in those last 2-3 years of Weegar's term. At that point he'll have Kadri, Huberdeau and Weegar all in decline so they'll be where San Jose is the last couple years, trying to decide whether to just suck it up with those old vets, or to pay someone to take the contracts off their hands.

It's not a terrible strategy really, especially with the hand they were dealt. And Treliving will be 58 or 59 at the point they all start declining, so what does he care? Chances are good that if the team swan dives he gets fired and it is all someone else's problem then anyhow, but his job is now likely safe until then.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Weegar signed 8 years / $50M, $6.25M AAV [message #812847 is a reply to message #812395 ]
Fri, 21 October 2022 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 14:04

Weegar is really solid. They made an absolutely great trade this summer, as much as it pains me to say it.

Their GM is all in on the next 5-6 years, and clearly doesn't give a single care to what happens in those last 2-3 years of Weegar's term. At that point he'll have Kadri, Huberdeau and Weegar all in decline so they'll be where San Jose is the last couple years, trying to decide whether to just suck it up with those old vets, or to pay someone to take the contracts off their hands.

It's not a terrible strategy really, especially with the hand they were dealt. And Treliving will be 58 or 59 at the point they all start declining, so what does he care? Chances are good that if the team swan dives he gets fired and it is all someone else's problem then anyhow, but his job is now likely safe until then.

Checking in again to give Florida the finger again for their panic moves after being swept thinking a little turd that just lost 4 in a row too can completely transform their team into guaranteed winner by being a pest and turtling.

And boy are they paying now with Ekblad out. Clown GMing on tier with Chia.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Weegar signed 8 years / $50M, $6.25M AAV [message #812848 is a reply to message #812847 ]
Fri, 21 October 2022 14:30 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 21 October 2022 13:18

Adam wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 14:04

Checking in again to give Florida the finger again for their panic moves after being swept thinking a little turd that just lost 4 in a row too can completely transform their team into guaranteed winner by being a pest and turtling.

And boy are they paying now with Ekblad out. Clown GMing on tier with Chia.

Just seems to be a weird panic and over-reaction by them based on a single series. They just threw the baby out with the bathwater and remade their team. If they had done Tkachuk straight up for Huberdeau, that's probably not that bad, and they could say that they were shaking up the team's core, and getting younger. But then they add the 1st round pick AND Weegar too? It's nuts. They just got completely fleeced.

I do wonder if some of these teams that go all-in on analytics don't have a big portion of the management group who doesn't trust it at all and is just waiting for the first sign of trouble to dismiss everything and return to the way they're more comfortable with.

All that said, they're still 3-1-0 to start the season...

And Tkachuk has 2-4-6 in his first four games as a Panther...

[Updated on: Fri, 21 October 2022 14:32]

Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7]  
Previous Topic:Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca