This day on March 29
None

Happy Birthday To: SMURDS, JRock71, Cpt Waffle, TexasOiler, Morgan99

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction ListsPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811709 is a reply to message #811693 ]
Wed, 07 September 2022 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 07 September 2022 08:45

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 06 September 2022 20:24

Rumour from Farhan Lalji that E. Rodrigue is holding out for $2.5M to $3.0M.. probably scratch him off the Oiler rumours list...

At this late in the offseason?

I would consider that an epic fail on any GM if he gets that at this time. This is the time of year when UFA's get PTO's and league minimum deals. I am sure he and his agent had offers a long time ago, he gambled there would be better ones, he lost. Plus the guy never scored more than 9 goals in any season until this past one. I wouldn't be giving a 29 yr old 3 mill just because he scored 19 goals last year. He's not going into his prime years, he's heading into his decline years real quick.

Unless you get signed by the Flames….29 is their new 24.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811711 is a reply to message #808867 ]
Wed, 07 September 2022 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I wonder if Klingburg is part of a potential deal.. there was chatter earlier this summer (Friedman?) that there was discussion between Montreal and the Oilers for Montreal to sign Klingburg as a UFA.. then trade him to Oilers retaining 50%, for some assets back to Montreal.. fell through .. then Klingburg signs with Anaheim who are not contenders making people wonder what the heck Klingburg is doing.. is it possible Anaheim trades Klingburg to Oilers at 50% retained ($3.5M).. for some assets.. or.. maybe Barrie is included in a multi-team/asset deal.. with like.. Chicago? icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811772 is a reply to message #811711 ]
Fri, 09 September 2022 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
addicted2oil  is currently offline addicted2oil

No Cups

Just to add fuel to the fire, I recall Stauffer implying a week or two ago that he could see Anaheim as a spot that would make sense for Puljujarvi. Then a couple days ago on a separate show he told listeners that a Barrie trade may surprise them in that he would likely be traded in a deal for a substantial player rather than picks and cap space.
Just saying.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811774 is a reply to message #811772 ]
Fri, 09 September 2022 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

addicted2oil wrote on Fri, 09 September 2022 11:04

Just to add fuel to the fire, I recall Stauffer implying a week or two ago that he could see Anaheim as a spot that would make sense for Puljujarvi. Then a couple days ago on a separate show he told listeners that a Barrie trade may surprise them in that he would likely be traded in a deal for a substantial player rather than picks and cap space.
Just saying.

Regardless of the fact he does goofy videos that endear him to some fans, the only untouchables on this team should be McD and Leon. So if there is a trade out there that makes the Oilers better and JP or whoever else needs to be included, the team should look at it. The goal is to make a cup winner, not to please the fans with keeping guys they personally like.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811778 is a reply to message #811774 ]
Fri, 09 September 2022 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 09 September 2022 11:32

Just saying.

Regardless of the fact he does goofy videos that endear him to some fans, the only untouchables on this team should be McD and Leon. So if there is a trade out there that makes the Oilers better and JP or whoever else needs to be included, the team should look at it. The goal is to make a cup winner, not to please the fans with keeping guys they personally like.

Has anyone here ever said that Puljujarvi is an untouchable? Has there been anyone who's made the argument that you shouldn't trade him for a clear upgrade if that's available?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811780 is a reply to message #811778 ]
Fri, 09 September 2022 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 09 September 2022 11:55

Just saying.

Has anyone here ever said that Puljujarvi is an untouchable? Has there been anyone who's made the argument that you shouldn't trade him for a clear upgrade if that's available?

Point out where in my comment I made reference to anyone saying he was untouchable.

I simply said all trades that don't involve McD or Leon should be explored if it makes the team better. That wasn't a shot at your boy JP. I only mentioned JP specifically because the other poster did first so I wanted my response to be relevant to his comment. Calm down.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811781 is a reply to message #811780 ]
Fri, 09 September 2022 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 09 September 2022 11:11

Just saying.

Point out where in my comment I made reference to anyone saying he was untouchable.

I simply said all trades that don't involve McD or Leon should be explored if it makes the team better. That wasn't a shot at your boy JP. I only mentioned JP specifically because the other poster did first so I wanted my response to be relevant to his comment. Calm down.

The entire comment implies exactly that.

"The only untouchables on this team should be McD and Leon."

"The goal is to make a cup winner, not to please the fans with keeping guys they personally like."

Logic is not necessarily most peoples' strong suit.

As a community, it is well established that JP is not one of your favourites. It is a guarantee that you will respond to anything positive regarding JP as your have demonstrated this week. It's easy to get into these ruts. If I even think of the name Taylor Hall, I know who will come out of the woodwork. Own your bias!

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811787 is a reply to message #811781 ]
Fri, 09 September 2022 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RD. Your ‘intent’ might not have been rile up the Jesse ‘fan boys’ (I like the kid and the player, but that doesn't really matter). But your indignant apology ignores the impact of your comment.

Either you read the room like Ric Flair trying to be the consummate bad guy, or your completely obtuse. After reading your post a first time reader, or a long time poster here would assume that you consider any Jesse supporter think he’s untouchable. We all want our team to better, and I’d consider no one untouchable to get us legitimate top tier team and perennial Cup contender. Even 97 or 29, although I’d be a skeptic in any trade of those two.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811788 is a reply to message #811787 ]
Fri, 09 September 2022 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 09 September 2022 15:40

RD. Your ‘intent’ might not have been rile up the Jesse ‘fan boys’ (I like the kid and the player, but that doesn't really matter). But your indignant apology ignores the impact of your comment.

Either you read the room like Ric Flair trying to be the consummate bad guy, or your completely obtuse. After reading your post a first time reader, or a long time poster here would assume that you consider any Jesse supporter think he’s untouchable. We all want our team to better, and I’d consider no one untouchable to get us legitimate top tier team and perennial Cup contender. Even 97 or 29, although I’d be a skeptic in any trade of those two.

People are going to interrupt what I say however they want to in here. I can write an novel trying to explain my point in every possible detail and people will tell me I am saying the opposite. I could give a 1 word answer and they will say it's something else. I have an opinion on things, its an opinion that other people don't share and some of those people happen to be some of the major posters in here. There is an unwritten code in here that if you don't share the same opinion of a certain few, you will always be an outsider and mocked. I don't agree with what they say and I am prepared to be an outsider because of it.

So interpret away.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811792 is a reply to message #811788 ]
Fri, 09 September 2022 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 09 September 2022 16:11

People are going to interrupt what I say however they want to in here. I can write an novel trying to explain my point in every possible detail and people will tell me I am saying the opposite. I could give a 1 word answer and they will say it's something else. I have an opinion on things, its an opinion that other people don't share and some of those people happen to be some of the major posters in here. There is an unwritten code in here that if you don't share the same opinion of a certain few, you will always be an outsider and mocked. I don't agree with what they say and I am prepared to be an outsider because of it.

So interpret away.

That is a false narrative that you are confusing with your own current situation. Countless times people here have disagreed on the team and its direction. Sometimes people become irrational in their stance, not directed at anyone, but blaming or overtly criticizing players/management such as Hemsky, Jesse, Nurse, Toby Petersen, Lowe (tough to argue that one), etc, etc.

This is my stance, and not saying it has to be gospel. If I am entering a conversation with people I believe to be fairly knowledgeable as a whole on a specific topic and most of the people I value have a different viewpoint than mine, then it is time for some self reflection. Sometimes I may be right, but for the most part I have probably erred and should consider their perspective.

The Oilers have taught me one valuable life lesson. "Never think you are the smartest person in the room". Make that two...Pro sport for fans is suppose to be for fun, and you cannot control anything besides how you spend your time trying to enjoy it.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811798 is a reply to message #811792 ]
Sat, 10 September 2022 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 09 September 2022 17:02

So interpret away.

That is a false narrative that you are confusing with your own current situation. Countless times people here have disagreed on the team and its direction. Sometimes people become irrational in their stance, not directed at anyone, but blaming or overtly criticizing players/management such as Hemsky, Jesse, Nurse, Toby Petersen, Lowe (tough to argue that one), etc, etc.

This is my stance, and not saying it has to be gospel. If I am entering a conversation with people I believe to be fairly knowledgeable as a whole on a specific topic and most of the people I value have a different viewpoint than mine, then it is time for some self reflection. Sometimes I may be right, but for the most part I have probably erred and should consider their perspective.

The Oilers have taught me one valuable life lesson. "Never think you are the smartest person in the room". Make that two...Pro sport for fans is suppose to be for fun, and you cannot control anything besides how you spend your time trying to enjoy it.

Always fun being told how I am supposedly thinking and feeling by someone I have never met. You know me better than myself apparently.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811805 is a reply to message #811798 ]
Sun, 11 September 2022 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Sat, 10 September 2022 21:37

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 09 September 2022 17:02

So interpret away.

Always fun being told how I am supposedly thinking and feeling by someone I have never met. You know me better than myself apparently.

Anytime.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811789 is a reply to message #811778 ]
Fri, 09 September 2022 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Just saying.

Pulju is the likely the best player on the Oilers. We probably won't win another game if we trade him.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811793 is a reply to message #811789 ]
Fri, 09 September 2022 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 09 September 2022 16:12

Just saying.

Pulju is the likely the best player on the Oilers. We probably won't win another game if we trade him.

Tough to argue. Jim Matheson nods in complete agreement.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811829 is a reply to message #808867 ]
Mon, 12 September 2022 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Sweet baby McJesus. Someone dug up the starting group for 2019

Today's #Oilers forward lines:

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Gagner-RNH-Neal
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Chiasson-Cave-Russell
Nygard/Burdasov-Haas-Jurco

(Granlund not on the ice)

Pain.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811837 is a reply to message #811829 ]
Tue, 13 September 2022 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 September 2022 21:59

Gagner-RNH-Neal
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Chiasson-Cave-Russell

Pain.

Totally wasted Arhibald’s time here.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #811845 is a reply to message #811837 ]
Tue, 13 September 2022 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 13 September 2022 09:29

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 September 2022 21:59

Gagner-RNH-Neal
Khaira-Sheahan-Archibald
Chiasson-Cave-Russell

Pain.

Totally wasted Arhibald’s time here.

Signed him for 2x1.5M after a 12 goal season with career high of 12 and god awful possession stats. What are we? Colorado?!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812192 is a reply to message #808867 ]
Thu, 29 September 2022 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

DNL @OilerAnalytics
Kevin Weekes on ESPN radio:

“Jakob Chychrun to the Oilers is starting pick up heat faster than expected.”

“Ken Holland might have a few more tricks up his sleeves, so keep an eye on the Oilers.”

“He has made it clear that he wants to go all in this year.”

Well sheet.

What will it take? Barrie, 1st, and good prospect like Broberg or Samo?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812197 is a reply to message #812192 ]
Fri, 30 September 2022 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I for one am loving that we are finally targetting the good players out there like him and P. Kane.

Just hope he doesn't pay more than he has to because they fall in love with the idea. Fall in love with it Ken, but maybe do it quietly.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812198 is a reply to message #812197 ]
Fri, 30 September 2022 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

These big names are great to hear but I’m so curious to see what kind of wizardry they would pull off to make this work.

Chychrun is a LD if I’m not mistaken. Would likely mean left side of Nurse-Chychrun-Kulak. Do you include Broberg in the trade or keep him as 7D?

What does everyone think would be a realistic trade (for return/also is fitting under the cap)?

OSCARGASM what have you heard?!

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812199 is a reply to message #812192 ]
Fri, 30 September 2022 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Would you make that trade? In a scenario where we trade Tyson Barrie, who becomes our third pair RD?

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812200 is a reply to message #812199 ]
Fri, 30 September 2022 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

addicted2oil wrote on Fri, 30 September 2022 10:11

Would you make that trade? In a scenario where we trade Tyson Barrie, who becomes our third pair RD?

Just gotta make it work with someone. Avs won a cup with Simple Jack Johnson. If we had Nurse-Ceci and Chychrun-Bouch we could end up with 2 pairs that perform like top pairs and can play 23+ mins each, pushing the pace the whole time. Kulak is solid for the 3rd pair and you find someone else to fill that last spot.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812201 is a reply to message #812200 ]
Fri, 30 September 2022 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

For some reason I think Kulak was used as a RD in Montreal too.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812231 is a reply to message #812201 ]
Mon, 03 October 2022 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I'm still really hoping for some kind of a 3 way trade with the Hawks and Coyotes to get us Kane at $2.5M and Chychrun.

Price for Chychrun doesn't seem too outrageous. A 1st and a good prospect for a very good Dman signed at a bargain for 3 more years? Awesome. And if we need to send more for them to retain some, whatever.

And for 1 year of Kane, I assume the price would be at least that much. Only one year, but for one of the best players in the world still, a player that would make this arguably the most potent offense in NHL history? Giddy up.

Cheap ELCs are good, and it's always important to look to the future with drafting and development of our draft picks, but now is the time. These draft picks are our currency, it's time to spend some of it.

We have 5 top 6 guys under contract for at least the next 3 years (McDavid, Draisaitl, E Kane, Hyman, RNH). If we did get Chychrun, we would have 4 top 4 guys under contract for at least 3 years (Nurse, Ceci, Kulak, Chychrun). Bouchard will be getting a painful raise, but I'm guessing it'll be at least a few years. So that would be 5 solid guys under contract for at least 3 years. Point being, we don't absolutely need any picks/prospects to be grand slams over the next few years to put us over the top - we have the guys to be contenders now and the next few years. Adding guys like P Kane and Chychrun without taking away any significant part of our roster I truly believe would have us favorites for the Cup.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812232 is a reply to message #812231 ]
Mon, 03 October 2022 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I mean our 1st round picks over the next 2-3 years should probably be in the what 25-32 range? Sure there are good players to be found, but there are more guys that either never see the NHL or end up playing less than 100GP than there are NHL regulars. If it was me, I would be completely fine using this currency right now. Not throw it away of course, but as the cost to get a realistic chance at one or more Cups? Absolutely.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812233 is a reply to message #812231 ]
Mon, 03 October 2022 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Mon, 03 October 2022 05:20

I'm still really hoping for some kind of a 3 way trade with the Hawks and Coyotes to get us Kane at $2.5M and Chychrun.

Price for Chychrun doesn't seem too outrageous. A 1st and a good prospect for a very good Dman signed at a bargain for 3 more years? Awesome. And if we need to send more for them to retain some, whatever.

And for 1 year of Kane, I assume the price would be at least that much. Only one year, but for one of the best players in the world still, a player that would make this arguably the most potent offense in NHL history? Giddy up.

Cheap ELCs are good, and it's always important to look to the future with drafting and development of our draft picks, but now is the time. These draft picks are our currency, it's time to spend some of it.

We have 5 top 6 guys under contract for at least the next 3 years (McDavid, Draisaitl, E Kane, Hyman, RNH). If we did get Chychrun, we would have 4 top 4 guys under contract for at least 3 years (Nurse, Ceci, Kulak, Chychrun). Bouchard will be getting a painful raise, but I'm guessing it'll be at least a few years. So that would be 5 solid guys under contract for at least 3 years. Point being, we don't absolutely need any picks/prospects to be grand slams over the next few years to put us over the top - we have the guys to be contenders now and the next few years. Adding guys like P Kane and Chychrun without taking away any significant part of our roster I truly believe would have us favorites for the Cup.

I think the cost to get Kane with both teams retaining 50% might be too high. I know that the Hawks don't care about cap hit this year , but the Coyotes at least understand that taking on cap hit has value (they've done enough of those trades over the past few years), they're not just going to do it for free.

2 1sts+++ would be too much for me. And not just in what you have to give up for Kane, but what you then can't go out and do because you don't have those picks. If I were picking between 1 year of Kane or 3 years of Chychrun, I'd get Chychrun all day.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 October 2022 10:07]

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812235 is a reply to message #812233 ]
Mon, 03 October 2022 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Mon, 03 October 2022 13:05

If I were picking between 1 year of Kane or 3 years of Chychrun, I'd get Chychrun all day.

Same. But I would rather have both.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812364 is a reply to message #808867 ]
Thu, 06 October 2022 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Samorukov and Foegle were quote (Woody): "kept off the ice" today at practice.. trade?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812366 is a reply to message #812364 ]
Thu, 06 October 2022 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 06 October 2022 16:03

Samorukov and Foegle were quote (Woody): "kept off the ice" today at practice.. trade?

Samorukov had a very sold preseason. If anyone was scouting him, I bet his value is as high as it's ever been now.

Would suck to see him go, but if we can get a high quality player back, I think this would be a good instance of selling high on a prospect.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812368 is a reply to message #812366 ]
Thu, 06 October 2022 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 October 2022 15:12

Samorukov had a very sold preseason. If anyone was scouting him, I bet his value is as high as it's ever been now.

Would suck to see him go, but if we can get a high quality player back, I think this would be a good instance of selling high on a prospect.

I'd classify high as a regular NHL player.. trading prospects you expect to be NHL regulars rarely brings back sufficient value for that which was lost.. Samy was a force in the OHL.. IMHO he just hasn't had enough continuous high-quality development time so far due to injuries, all the way back to his time in the KHL. I think he'll be a rugged top 4 eventually.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812376 is a reply to message #812368 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 06 October 2022 16:36

I'd classify high as a regular NHL player.. trading prospects you expect to be NHL regulars rarely brings back sufficient value for that which was lost.. Samy was a force in the OHL.. IMHO he just hasn't had enough continuous high-quality development time so far due to injuries, all the way back to his time in the KHL. I think he'll be a rugged top 4 eventually.

This is the mistake the Oilers always make. We're afraid to bet on which prospects are going to make the jump, and we don't spend a lot of time considering arrival times of prospects and how much space we have.

The LHD space for the Oilers is crowded. Nurse is signed for 8 more years, Kulak for four, Ceci for three, Broberg for two (with team control beyond that). The team also has Murray this year, plus maybe Koekkoek if he overcomes whatever is going on with him. That leaves you Niemelainen and Samorukov - they're both running our of time before we need to decide if they're going to be full-time Oilers or not, and we clearly don't have room for both, and may not even have room for one.

Niemelainen's now played 75 North American pro games over two seasons. Samorukov has played 99 over two seasons. They're both going to have to face waivers soon. This tool suggests Samorukov already needs waivers, based on the fact he played his first pro games in 2017-18:

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-calculator/dmitri-samoru kov

The Oilers should be looking at what they have with Samorukov, Niemelainen and Broberg and making a bet soon. Which one if going to be the best, when can they be expected to be a regular contributor, and for the two who aren't the one you picked? Then you put them on the trading block and look to maximize return if there's anything you can get for them. Our forward prospect depth isn't great and I'm not a huge believer in any of our goalie prospects either, so having too many LDs means one or two could be converted to give us someone in an area where we're a little weaker or at least where there's a little more time to make a decision on the player.

One thought with Samorukov based on this training camp - I might consider keeping him up (especially if he needs waivers) and sending Broberg to start the season in the AHL. Chances are good with the way the depth chart looks that he's not going to be an every-night player in the NHL anyhow, so give him the confidence. Also, he's the one furthest from waiver eligibility, so there's no risk really to making him spend a little more time on the farm - other than the embarrassment for the GM who picked him ahead of Trevor Zegras, Matthew Boldy and Cole Caufield...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812381 is a reply to message #812376 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 08:17

This is the mistake the Oilers always make. We're afraid to bet on which prospects are going to make the jump, and we don't spend a lot of time considering arrival times of prospects and how much space we have.

The LHD space for the Oilers is crowded. Nurse is signed for 8 more years, Kulak for four, Ceci for three, Broberg for two (with team control beyond that). The team also has Murray this year, plus maybe Koekkoek if he overcomes whatever is going on with him. That leaves you Niemelainen and Samorukov - they're both running our of time before we need to decide if they're going to be full-time Oilers or not, and we clearly don't have room for both, and may not even have room for one.

Niemelainen's now played 75 North American pro games over two seasons. Samorukov has played 99 over two seasons. They're both going to have to face waivers soon. This tool suggests Samorukov already needs waivers, based on the fact he played his first pro games in 2017-18:

The Oilers should be looking at what they have with Samorukov, Niemelainen and Broberg and making a bet soon. Which one if going to be the best, when can they be expected to be a regular contributor, and for the two who aren't the one you picked? Then you put them on the trading block and look to maximize return if there's anything you can get for them. Our forward prospect depth isn't great and I'm not a huge believer in any of our goalie prospects either, so having too many LDs means one or two could be converted to give us someone in an area where we're a little weaker or at least where there's a little more time to make a decision on the player.

One thought with Samorukov based on this training camp - I might consider keeping him up (especially if he needs waivers) and sending Broberg to start the season in the AHL. Chances are good with the way the depth chart looks that he's not going to be an every-night player in the NHL anyhow, so give him the confidence. Also, he's the one furthest from waiver eligibility, so there's no risk really to making him spend a little more time on the farm - other than the embarrassment for the GM who picked him ahead of Trevor Zegras, Matthew Boldy and Cole Caufield...

I think Samy's arrival time has been retarded at least a year by injury which has brought him back to Broberg's time slot.. if he'd have been healthier I think we'd have a better idea by now on how he'll turn out as an NHL'er and make the appropriate decisions.. right now his trade value is close to that of an average AHL'er.. but he has NHL potential of a top 4.. potential you don't want to trade for nothing.. his trade value might be low.. but some NHL team might still pluck him off a waiver wire ..

I agree keeping Samy up and sending Broberg down is likely the best move.. if Broberg had stood out more positively during preseason there could be a strong case for keeping him up.. and risk Samy on waivers.. but he's been lacking so far..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812384 is a reply to message #812381 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 11:33

I think Samy's arrival time has been retarded at least a year by injury which has brought him back to Broberg's time slot.. if he'd have been healthier I think we'd have a better idea by now on how he'll turn out as an NHL'er and make the appropriate decisions.. right now his trade value is close to that of an average AHL'er.. but he has NHL potential of a top 4.. potential you don't want to trade for nothing.. his trade value might be low.. but some NHL team might still pluck him off a waiver wire ..

I agree keeping Samy up and sending Broberg down is likely the best move.. if Broberg had stood out more positively during preseason there could be a strong case for keeping him up.. and risk Samy on waivers.. but he's been lacking so far..

Bit worried about all the chatter that the org badly wants Broberg on the NHL roster to start the year. Maybe there is some advantage with his contract vs other players for our cap situation, but he dind't play well in pre-season IMO. He is not ready for the NHL. No shame in that. At the same age Klef was barely doing anything in the AHL and a few years later he was a top pair NHL D. Development curve for players from SEL league is all over the place. He should not be on an NHL roster right now though. Samo definitely deserves it more based on the pre-season.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812387 is a reply to message #812384 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 11:02

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 11:33

Bit worried about all the chatter that the org badly wants Broberg on the NHL roster to start the year. Maybe there is some advantage with his contract vs other players for our cap situation, but he dind't play well in pre-season IMO. He is not ready for the NHL. No shame in that. At the same age Klef was barely doing anything in the AHL and a few years later he was a top pair NHL D. Development curve for players from SEL league is all over the place. He should not be on an NHL roster right now though. Samo definitely deserves it more based on the pre-season.

Oilers Decision: Keeping Broberg up.. Samy and Janmark on waivers today..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812394 is a reply to message #812384 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 12:02

Apparently for cap compliance, the Oilers need both Broberg and Holloway on the team as camp breaks. It may not stay that way, but apparently due to that, the real decision was always Murray versus Samorukov, and Murray's slightly cheaper ($25K), so he held the advantage as the Oilers margin is razor thin.

Unless a trade happens, the Oilers look destined to break camp with 21 skaters.

I still think that this should be a lesson for the Oilers and if either of Samorukov or Niemelainen distinguishes himself this year and draws interest, then they should be traded so long as the team continues to believe Broberg is the best of that cohort.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812401 is a reply to message #812394 ]
Fri, 07 October 2022 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 12:58

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 07 October 2022 12:02

Apparently for cap compliance, the Oilers need both Broberg and Holloway on the team as camp breaks. It may not stay that way, but apparently due to that, the real decision was always Murray versus Samorukov, and Murray's slightly cheaper ($25K), so he held the advantage as the Oilers margin is razor thin.

Unless a trade happens, the Oilers look destined to break camp with 21 skaters.

I still think that this should be a lesson for the Oilers and if either of Samorukov or Niemelainen distinguishes himself this year and draws interest, then they should be traded so long as the team continues to believe Broberg is the best of that cohort.

Likely start the season with Broberg up, and then they can send down if required once his contract bonus implication for increasing the oiler cap is eliminated..

Of the 3, Nemo, Broberg, Samy.. Nemo seems most ready for NHL action.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812575 is a reply to message #808867 ]
Fri, 14 October 2022 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Glimpse into P. Kane's Chicago season so far.. read his lips.. I get the feeling he'll OK a trade out when it comes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyFSV3IJaI

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812578 is a reply to message #812575 ]
Fri, 14 October 2022 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 14 October 2022 13:50

Glimpse into P. Kane's Chicago season so far.. read his lips.. I get the feeling he'll OK a trade out when it comes.

Training camp must have been hell for him.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812579 is a reply to message #812578 ]
Fri, 14 October 2022 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 14 October 2022 13:26

Training camp must have been hell for him.

..still can't believe they got rid of deBrincat.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812581 is a reply to message #812575 ]
Fri, 14 October 2022 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Not even a raw rookie making a mistake. Thats either the guy the sold the farm for, or his little brother. Both are pretty veteran.

Re: 2022/23 Season - Your Transaction Lists [message #812583 is a reply to message #812581 ]
Fri, 14 October 2022 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 14 October 2022 14:23

Not even a raw rookie making a mistake. Thats either the guy the sold the farm for, or his little brother. Both are pretty veteran.

#4 is Seth.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Ryan Reaves
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca