This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Summer 2022 Signing/Trade threadPages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810747 is a reply to message #810741 ]
Wed, 20 July 2022 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

No Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 20 July 2022 07:13

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 19 July 2022 16:34

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 19 July 2022 14:50

I am officially not sad. Maybe Tkachuk wants to go somewhere he gets to play against Kassian more often.

Hate Calgary. Don’t like Tkachuk.

All being said…..send him to rot in Arizona and he can play with Kassian. The pure chaos surrounding that deal would be great Twitter fodder. Chychrun is a starting point.

Unpopular opinion on a league wide level...but I don't think Tkachuk is that great of a player. For a guy who's a hard working goal scorer & agitator....he somehow seems to lack intangibles of being in the right place at the right time?

If Gaudreau were still in Calgary (driver of that first line), yeah I could see Tkachuk wanting to come back....but I feel for any team that actually trades for him. One of my buddies who grew up in St. Louis absolutely hated Keith Tkachuk as he was a guy that constantly used hardball tactics in selling himself for way more than his actual worth....while far from having the best work ethic. I see a bit of this in Matthew as well...

If I were the Flamers, I'd want to sell Tkachuk as well. His comments about the Oilers "just having 1 player" were irreconcilably self-deprecating as you ain't goin far with a leader possessing that kind of mentality. Provided Treliving doesn't blow this, the return should be optimal.

I’ve always said this about Calgary, they are a tough regular season team. When the playoffs come and the whistles are put away they always struggle dealing with the cheap shots after the whistle because this time the teams are giving it back. We have seen how a guy like Tkachuk crumbles when he gets a taste of some of the rough stuff. Rasmus Anderson is even worse, just a small guy who’s not even tough chirping like he’s 6 foot 5.

I don’t care for the “we need both Alberta teams to do well for good hockey!”, I’m in the boat where I want to see them mediocre for the rest of my existence on this planet. Screw the Flames.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810748 is a reply to message #810747 ]
Wed, 20 July 2022 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

WhoreableGuy wrote on Wed, 20 July 2022 14:14

I’ve always said this about Calgary, they are a tough regular season team. When the playoffs come and the whistles are put away they always struggle dealing with the cheap shots after the whistle because this time the teams are giving it back. We have seen how a guy like Tkachuk crumbles when he gets a taste of some of the rough stuff. Rasmus Anderson is even worse, just a small guy who’s not even tough chirping like he’s 6 foot 5.

I don’t care for the “we need both Alberta teams to do well for good hockey!”, I’m in the boat where I want to see them mediocre for the rest of my existence on this planet. Screw the Flames.

When the odds are against him, Matthew Tkachuk is not the type of player who is willing to dig deeper and put the team on his back...even worse...it's just complaining to the press about how the top guys on the other team are just too good lol.

Just as Johnny started to turn the corner and was willing to put the team on his back when the going got rough, he peaces out.....

It's one thing if you bow out prematurely in the playoffs consistently as it's happened to many players who were clutch & performed with a ton of heart (Logan Couture & Joe Pavelski come to mind). The figurative turtle-ing act however is just overly excessive at this point ....

[Updated on: Wed, 20 July 2022 16:20]

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810749 is a reply to message #810734 ]
Wed, 20 July 2022 15:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Tue, 19 July 2022 17:38

McDavid97 wrote on Tue, 19 July 2022 13:20

nullterm wrote on Tue, 19 July 2022 14:19

Eric Francis basically drove Gaudreau out and blasted him for leaving.

Now Francis is saying that Tkachuk will be traded on mutual desire within the week on a STL radio station.

We really broke the Flames.

Quote:

Mark Scheig @markscheig · 1h
Eric Francis today on 101 ESPN in St. Louis said that he expects a possible Matthew Tkachuk trade to be wrapped up within the week. He said it was clear to him the two are parting ways.

Wow.

Reminds me of Pronger leaving Edmonton, not good times for Calgary. We broke them in the playoffs.

Losing two 100+ point players in the same offseason is mind boggling. One without any assets in return.

Given all the smack talk that I've seen from Flames fans about how McDavid & Drai would bolt for greener pastures as soon as they had a chance, I find this to be hilarious.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810750 is a reply to message #810749 ]
Wed, 20 July 2022 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 20 July 2022 15:39

Now Francis is saying that Tkachuk will be traded on mutual desire within the week on a STL radio station.

Quote:

Eric Francis today on 101 ESPN in St. Louis said that he expects a possible Matthew Tkachuk trade to be wrapped up within the week. He said it was clear to him the two are parting ways.

Wow.

Reminds me of Pronger leaving Edmonton, not good times for Calgary. We broke them in the playoffs.

Losing two 100+ point players in the same offseason is mind boggling. One without any assets in return.

Given all the smack talk that I've seen from Flames fans about how McDavid & Drai would bolt for greener pastures as soon as they had a chance, I find this to be hilarious.

If McDavid and Leon were American, I might have a small worry. I know some in here will disagree with me but I firmly believe the Americans wanting to play in the US is a thing. Maybe not all of them and especially not so much with the middle of the pack players but there isn't that many big name Americans who have played a ton of time in a Canadian market.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810751 is a reply to message #810750 ]
Wed, 20 July 2022 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 July 2022 16:00

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 20 July 2022 15:39

Quote:

Wow.

If McDavid and Leon were American, I might have a small worry. I know some in here will disagree with me but I firmly believe the Americans wanting to play in the US is a thing. Maybe not all of them and especially not so much with the middle of the pack players but there isn't that many big name Americans who have played a ton of time in a Canadian market.

https://s.err.ee/photo/crop/2022/04/01/1414438h73f9t4.jpg

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810752 is a reply to message #810750 ]
Wed, 20 July 2022 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 July 2022 18:00

It really varies on the individual player IMO...

-Tkachuck - Loved being drafted by Calgary and likely wanted to stay if Gaudreau resigned. Guy is an attention whore who loved the microscope of Canadian media/fanbases. I think he feels dejected about Johnny Hockey leaving and is now wanting to turtle away to an easier situation. (Also rumors about him not being happy about the living restrictions in Canada due to the pandemic)

-Big Buff & Wheeler - American guys that embraced playing in Winnipeg. Granted, it is close to their home state being Minnesota.

-2017/2018 Jets - Made a deep run with 11-12 Americans on the roster? Only guys who complained about being in Winnipeg were Trouba and then eventually Roslovic from that group. After that year, I believe Kyle Connor signed a 7x7 instead of that nonsense 3x7 Tkachuk insisted on (with advice from his snake oil father) almost around the same time.

-Bobby Ryan - Loved being in Ottawa...had some personal issues which lead to his decline.

-Gaudreau - Seemed to love partying in Calgary during his bachelor days...oddly enough, his last time with teammates was a wedding party with the guys. Seemed to be a fun event as he likely felt the urge to leave and start over suddenly thinking "it was time to start over." Supposedly picked Columbus as they called last minute and pitched "we have one of the best pediatric nursing programs in the US" as his wife works in that field. All funded by Nationwide which coincidentally owns the CBJ. Calgary can complain all they want though the NYI & NJD faithful will boo him mercilessly every time he touches the puck inside their rink.

-Ryan Whitney - Our favorite Spittin Chiclets contributor and Oilers alum. Loved the guy in Edmonton but a nerfed foot unfortunately ended his career prematurely...also embraced playing in this city as well.

-Adam Fox - Yeah the guy was a complete brat. Flames stupidly traded the right shot dman along with another right shot cornerstone in Dougie to Carolina.....only for Fox refusing to play for the Canes....(and reportedly rejecting a trade to the Islanders despite growing up minutes from Nassau) and telling Carolina "NYR only please." Least Flames got Lindholm while Canes ended up getting NOTHING with Hamilton leaving via UFA. I think Calgary should've packaged Adam Fox in another trade as they are still slim on the right side of their blue line till this day....

-Blake Coleman - The mid-tier player you were referring to. He could've gotten comparable money getting taxed less in an American market as anybody would've paid the "cup tax" for a guy being on back-to-back winning championship teams. Dude's wife is a former Dallas Cowboys cheerleader yet both of them love living in Calgary.

My biggest concern with McDavid is he could feel the urge to "return home" & play for the Leafs if Matthews ends up leaving....so let's hope Matthews resigns in Toronto

[Updated on: Fri, 22 July 2022 19:53]

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810642 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Sat, 16 July 2022 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Why did TO give Calle Jarnkrok 4 years? He's fine. but every time I think of him I think of this tweet:

https://twitter.com/AGretz/status/1501712937672757252?s=20&a mp;t=qOdCMFJpdyZA46M0NN2XCA

"It is a completely middle of the road player. After giving it a lot of thought. I have decided that the most accurately rated player in the NHL is: Calle Jarnkrok.

"Oh, yeah, Calle Jarnkrok. He is not bad. Not great. He is okay."

I will not be accepting arguments on this." @AGretz

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810643 is a reply to message #810642 ]
Sat, 16 July 2022 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sat, 16 July 2022 09:55

Why did TO give Calle Jarnkrok 4 years? He's fine. but every time I think of him I think of this tweet:

https://twitter.com/AGretz/status/1501712937672757252?s=20&a mp;a mp;t=qOdCMFJpdyZA46M0NN2XCA

"It is a completely middle of the road player. After giving it a lot of thought. I have decided that the most accurately rated player in the NHL is: Calle Jarnkrok.

"Oh, yeah, Calle Jarnkrok. He is not bad. Not great. He is okay."

I will not be accepting arguments on this." @AGretz

I know.. from what I saw of him with Calgary he was totally ineffective.. scored ZERO goals and 4 assists in 17 games with Flames.. who knows.. maybe Dubas has a bug in his algorithm

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810644 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Sat, 16 July 2022 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Any thoughts on S. Milano?

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810654 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Sat, 16 July 2022 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Montreal 1st round draft picks..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FXz-w0nUsAEVjfp?format=jpg&name=small

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810655 is a reply to message #810654 ]
Sat, 16 July 2022 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 16 July 2022 23:31

Montreal 1st round draft picks..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FXz-w0nUsAEVjfp?format=jpg&name=small

Got a gut feeling that Mailloux will be the guy they stick with to the bitter end.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810737 is a reply to message #810655 ]
Tue, 19 July 2022 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Johnny snubbing the Flames, then Tkachuk looking like he's gone as well, is the hockey gods writing the wrong of the Flames getting that pick for Neal hitting his goal scoring number when he didn't, the league just projected he did.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810738 is a reply to message #810737 ]
Tue, 19 July 2022 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 July 2022 17:03

Johnny snubbing the Flames, then Tkachuk looking like he's gone as well, is the hockey gods writing the wrong of the Flames getting that pick for Neal hitting his goal scoring number when he didn't, the league just projected he did.

I hope the team elected arbitration actually happens. Wonderful for the player/team relationship when the team has to argue why the player needs to accept a pay cut to a 3rd party.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810740 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Wed, 20 July 2022 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GOLD! lmao

Quote:

Goodfella@DhillonSteve
It's a very sad day for #LetsGoOilers fans.. We will finally have to admit the #fireitup #flames won the trade.. as Neal is in the minors.. and Lucic will soon be elevated to the top line

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810746 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Wed, 20 July 2022 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

If you get the Athletic - it looks like Keith's kid does indeed want to go back to the USA

https://theathletic.com/news/tkachuk-trade-likely-flames-sou rces/pH0rzGF2cZYs/

Quote:

One source familiar with Tkachuk’s list said that St. Louis, Vegas, Florida, Nashville and Dallas are options. New Jersey and the New York Rangers are also among the other teams that have expressed interest in the past.

Wide open division - even if they make a good hockey trade, the Flames will have to win the Jennings to be able to make the post-season

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810786 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Thu, 21 July 2022 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

A Jockey and a Turtle get in a golf cart..

punchline:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1549842292697141248

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810789 is a reply to message #810786 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Columbus is presently ~6.3 million over the cap. Semi-related, they signed Liane for 4*8.7

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810790 is a reply to message #810789 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 22 July 2022 13:41

Columbus is presently ~6.3 million over the cap. Semi-related, they signed Liane for 4*8.7

I checked and Johnny G has a NMC so there goes that idea

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810794 is a reply to message #810789 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 22 July 2022 14:41

Didn't they just trade Bjorkstrand to Seattle for a 3rd/4th? I believe that cleared up 5 mil to where they could give Laine that 8 mil+

[Updated on: Fri, 22 July 2022 21:14]

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810796 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Tkachuk to FLA for Huberdeau, Weeger, Schwindt, and a 1st round pick

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810797 is a reply to message #810796 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

Hmm Hubardeau is a UFA next year...better sign him to an extension.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810799 is a reply to message #810797 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Fri, 22 July 2022 22:17

Hmm Hubardeau is a UFA next year...better sign him to an extension.

If Flames suck...can trade him for a haul at the deadline....

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810798 is a reply to message #810796 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 22 July 2022 20:16

Huberdeau a UFA aside, what the bleep just happened?? Flames completely fleeced the Panthers.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810801 is a reply to message #810798 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 22 July 2022 21:26

Huberdeau a UFA aside, what the bleep just happened?? Flames completely fleeced the Panthers.

Weegar is also a UFA after this season. I’d hardly call this a fleecing but the Flames. Cats got cost certainty on a 100 point winger and rid of two looming UFA’s.

Lol. What a hot mess. Maybe they are looking for lottery balls, but trading with contenders should net them 2 more mid to late 2023 1st rounders.

If they can’t re-up these two guys you have to believe they are in full rebuild mode.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 July 2022 22:34]

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810802 is a reply to message #810796 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Turtle signs 8 x $9.5
Not a bad haul by Flames for Turtle, who I thought was always over rated.. I think he'll he'll prove to be poor value for FL. Flames will be competitive.. Hubie vs. Turtle is a wash.. might even be better with Hubie.. and Weeger is a + add on Defense.
Both Weeger and Hubie are UFA next year.. one won't sign.. I think it'll be Hubie.. he got suckered by Florida.. he'll be super PO'd.

Florida still $3.3M over the cap.. need to move something.. have 13F + 7D + 2G = 22 of a 23 man Roster.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810803 is a reply to message #810802 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Honestly I think calgary should trade hub now, think they could turn that into a nice haul

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810804 is a reply to message #810803 ]
Fri, 22 July 2022 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Fri, 22 July 2022 21:39

Honestly I think calgary should trade hub now, think they could turn that into a nice haul

Actually, you might be right, trade him to Montreal.. they have great assets, lots of cap, and DYING to sign a big name Quebecer.. and he'll want to go.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810805 is a reply to message #810796 ]
Sat, 23 July 2022 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 22 July 2022 21:16

Crazy trade.

Lames taking a huge risk that the 2 guys they got will extend? Hopefully they both just walk to UFA next summer. Florida fans seem to all think Huberdeau's dream was to sign as UFA with Montreal. Funny if Calgary gets to experience a franchise guy bailing on their team again next summer.

Florida so shellshocked by being swept that they felt they had to go all in on a pest? Like that's some dimension they were lacking that's just gonna put them over the top? Not sure it's gonna work out.

[Updated on: Sat, 23 July 2022 01:26]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810807 is a reply to message #810805 ]
Sat, 23 July 2022 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 23 July 2022 01:50

Crazy trade.

Lames taking a huge risk that the 2 guys they got will extend? Hopefully they both just walk to UFA next summer. Florida fans seem to all think Huberdeau's dream was to sign as UFA with Montreal. Funny if Calgary gets to experience a franchise guy bailing on their team again next summer.

Florida so shellshocked by being swept that they felt they had to go all in on a pest? Like that's some dimension they were lacking that's just gonna put them over the top? Not sure it's gonna work out.

Getting swept will result in crazy decisions...look at what the Flyers did after that 2011 sweep against the Bruins.....

What's floating all over social media rn:
"For Matthew Tkachuk and 20 games of Claude Giroux and Ben Chiarot, the Florida Panthers traded:

- Jonathan Huberdeau
- MacKenzie Weegar
- Former Top 10 pick (Owen Tippett)
- 1st round pick (23)
- 1st round pick (24)
- 1st round pick (25)
- 3rd round pick (24)
- 2 Prospects"

Teams like the Blues & Stars dodged a huge bullet by avoiding Tkachuk....he would've disrupted the chemistry of either team and been a long-term albatross of a contract....

[Updated on: Sat, 23 July 2022 07:48]

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810809 is a reply to message #810807 ]
Sat, 23 July 2022 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oiler76  is currently offline Oiler76

No Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sat, 23 July 2022 06:34

Crazy trade.

Getting swept will result in crazy decisions...look at what the Flyers did after that 2011 sweep against the Bruins.....

"For Matthew Tkachuk and 20 games of Claude Giroux and Ben Chiarot, the Florida Panthers traded:

- Jonathan Huberdeau
- MacKenzie Weegar
- 1st round pick (23)
- 1st round pick (24)
- 1st round pick (25)
- 3rd round pick (24)
- 2 Prospects"

Teams like the Blues & Stars dodged a huge bullet by avoiding Tkachuk....he would've disrupted the chemistry of either team and been a long-term albatross of a contract....

That is actually very impressive, somewhere Chia is smiling while thinking the student has become the master...

I can't believe there were Oiler fans that thought we missed the boat on getting Bill Zito as our GM. Holland is definitely not perfect and has made some terrible deals but he has not mortgage the future like this moron has.

" The Vancouver Canucks: Celebrating Second Round Losses for 50 years!"

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810810 is a reply to message #810807 ]
Sat, 23 July 2022 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sat, 23 July 2022 06:34

Crazy trade.

- Jonathan Huberdeau
- MacKenzie Weegar
- 1st round pick (23)
- 1st round pick (24)
- 1st round pick (25)
- 3rd round pick (24)
- 2 Prospects"

Zito goes from GM Hero to Zero pretty quickly..
Never mind talent comparisons.. trading a heart & soul team guy like Huberdeau, an original draftee.. for Turtle is a negative from just a team dynamic perspective.

On Reddit..
Quote:

Posted by u/pxik VAN - NHL14 hours ago

How does Florida continue to improve after Bill Zito drained all their assets in the last few months?
Bill Zito acquired;

Matthew Tkachuk

25 games of Claude Giroux (Gone)

25 games of Ben Chiarot (Gone)

In Exchange for;

Jonathan Huberdeau

MacKenzie Weegar

1st round pick (23)

1st round pick (24)

1st round pick (25)

3rd round pick (24)

Owen Tippett (#10 OA)

Ty Smilanic (#74 OA)

Cole Schwindt (#81 OA)

Florida did not have a 1st round pick this year (Sam Reinhart), or have one for the next 3 seasons. Their prospect cupboard is bare. Apart from the majority of the Yandle buyout expiring next year (extra $5M in cap space), they have little avenue to make the team better.
And to just fit the Tkachuk contract, they would have to trade Hornqvist, and in this market, that would be real expensive. So that is potentially even more assets given up, to make this trade work.

Notes
(1) Plus they lost more talent in Marchment
(2) And.. they still need to unload a roster player(s) to make the cap work.. $3.3M over with The Tortuga added.

.. not a good off season so far for Zito

[Updated on: Sat, 23 July 2022 14:05]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810812 is a reply to message #810807 ]
Sun, 24 July 2022 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sat, 23 July 2022 07:34

Crazy trade.

- Jonathan Huberdeau
- MacKenzie Weegar
- 1st round pick (23)
- 1st round pick (24)
- 1st round pick (25)
- 3rd round pick (24)
- 2 Prospects"

David Dwork @DavidDwork
As the dust settles from the Panthers-Flames blockbuster, I’m told Jonathan Huberdeau isn’t particularly happy with how everything played out.

There were some early, informal extension talks, but Huby’s camp was waiting for an offer that never came. The next call was the trade.

Ouch, lol. Huberdeau may have had no idea he was on the block. Calgary getting an angry dude who is about to see his taxes jacked up on his already bargain contract.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810815 is a reply to message #810812 ]
Mon, 25 July 2022 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 24 July 2022 03:02

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Sat, 23 July 2022 07:34

Crazy trade.

- Jonathan Huberdeau
- MacKenzie Weegar
- 1st round pick (23)
- 1st round pick (24)
- 1st round pick (25)
- 3rd round pick (24)
- 2 Prospects"

David Dwork @DavidDwork
As the dust settles from the Panthers-Flames blockbuster, I’m told Jonathan Huberdeau isn’t particularly happy with how everything played out.

There were some early, informal extension talks, but Huby’s camp was waiting for an offer that never came. The next call was the trade.

Ouch, lol. Huberdeau may have had no idea he was on the block. Calgary getting an angry dude who is about to see his taxes jacked up on his already bargain contract.

That's an amazing haul for Tkurtle. Just one of Huberdeau or Weegar would have been decent. To get both and a 1st is crazy.

And even if they can't extend them, those are some pretty nice pieces at the deadline if they are out of it.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810816 is a reply to message #810815 ]
Mon, 25 July 2022 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

It will be very interesting to see what happens with the Flames. If they can get the 2 of them resign, then it looks like a very good trade for them. If I am Tre, I am pushing hard to get them both resigned to extensions right now. You can't let them play out their final year, fingers crossed they will want to resign with your team only to maybe see them walk for nothing. You could trade them at the deadline but at the same time, you aren't trading for those 2 to be bad, you are trading for them to keep being good so if you are right in the hunt of the playoffs, how do you off load them for picks at the deadline.

If I am Huberdeau, no way I resign now. You were drafted by Florida and spent the first 10 yrs of your career in Florida. A non hockey market where I am sure he and his family could walk around freely and not be bothered much on top of it, the weather is great. So it is going to be a massive lifestyle change for and his family. So I would assume, he would want to play here for a season and find out if he can handle it. Same goes for Weegar, drafted and played all 5 of his career in Florida.

I know they are Canadian and I assume playing in a hockey market has some appeal but the lifestyle change for these 2 is going to be massive. These 2 will have people vying for their services in free agency if they want to test it.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810819 is a reply to message #810815 ]
Mon, 25 July 2022 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 25 July 2022 08:23

That's an amazing haul for Turtle. Just one of Huberdeau or Weegar would have been decent. To get both and a 1st is crazy.

And even if they can't extend them, those are some pretty nice pieces at the deadline if they are out of it.

I think it is interesting that Florida paid as if it was a player already under team control, even though they still had to sign him to a contract after that. Also that they felt getting Tkachuk meant giving up on even trying to sign Huberdeau who was their MVP last year. The news that Huberdeau didn't think negotiations were dead in the water is an interesting one. Maybe they prefer Tkachuk? I can't really see why, but still...

The Flames hit a home run here if either they re-sign Huberdeau (and maybe Weegar too) or if they trade them both and load up on picks and prospects. They lose big if they can't sign them, lost early in the playoffs and then lose them (especially Huberdeau) for nothing next summer.

It seems easy enough from here to make this a big win, but what do you do next year if you sit in 1st or 2nd in the division, secure in the knowledge you're going to make the playoffs, but you know that they aren't likely to sign again? Could be a very tough choice for them next February.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810820 is a reply to message #810819 ]
Mon, 25 July 2022 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 25 July 2022 13:17

That's an amazing haul for Turtle. Just one of Huberdeau or Weegar would have been decent. To get both and a 1st is crazy.

I think it is interesting that Florida paid as if it was a player already under team control, even though they still had to sign him to a contract after that. Also that they felt getting Tkachuk meant giving up on even trying to sign Huberdeau who was their MVP last year. The news that Huberdeau didn't think negotiations were dead in the water is an interesting one. Maybe they prefer Tkachuk? I can't really see why, but still...

The Flames hit a home run here if either they re-sign Huberdeau (and maybe Weegar too) or if they trade them both and load up on picks and prospects. They lose big if they can't sign them, lost early in the playoffs and then lose them (especially Huberdeau) for nothing next summer.

It seems easy enough from here to make this a big win, but what do you do next year if you sit in 1st or 2nd in the division, secure in the knowledge you're going to make the playoffs, but you know that they aren't likely to sign again? Could be a very tough choice for them next February.

Even if they just sign Weegar, him and a 1st rounder in 2025 when it’s less likely Florida is competitve, is an okay haul.

Florida shouldn’t have added Weegar to the deal. That’s what really put it over the top.

Clean house or bust

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810821 is a reply to message #810820 ]
Mon, 25 July 2022 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 25 July 2022 18:30

Even if they just sign Weegar, him and a 1st rounder in 2025 when it’s less likely Florida is competitve, is an okay haul.

Florida shouldn’t have added Weegar to the deal. That’s what really put it over the top.

Weegar has looked really really good the last 2 years. Almost all of his points were at even strength. He’s pretty close to a top pairing Dman if he isn’t one already. If he alone extends IMO it’s a huge win for Calgary. Not that I want Calgary to win anything, but this was a stunningly great trade by Treliving.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810822 is a reply to message #810820 ]
Mon, 25 July 2022 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Mon, 25 July 2022 16:30

^Had no choice but to include him seeing as they're still over the cap? lol

But still...Zito drinking dat Chiarelli juice

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810817 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Mon, 25 July 2022 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Willy Laggesson signs with Carolina.. 1 x $750K

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810818 is a reply to message #810817 ]
Mon, 25 July 2022 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 25 July 2022 10:29

Willy Laggesson signs with Carolina.. 1 x $750K

It's a 2 way deal for Lagesson.

Re: Summer 2022 Signing/Trade thread [message #810911 is a reply to message #809623 ]
Wed, 27 July 2022 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Bear gets 1x2.2M from the Canes.

Think he had his season messed up by COVID and maybe some issues getting his fitness back. Think fitness has been an ongoing thing for him, hopefully he figures it out. Gets a year to try to get his game back together.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Pages (7): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Is Ovechkin the Greatest Goal Scorer of All Time?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca