2020-21 Spruce Grove Saints AJHL 3 0 0 0 2 - |
Seattle Thunderbirds WHL 18 0 2 2 14 -4 |
2021-22 Seattle Thunderbirds WHL 66 32 26 58 88 29 | Playoffs 25 6 15 21 32 1

Ranked #102 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #55 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #37 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #64 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #20 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #31 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)
Ranked #90 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #55 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #96 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #55 by SMAHT SCOUTING
Ranked #65 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

[Updated on: Thu, 07 July 2022 21:08]

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810002 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Big kid, shooter

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810003 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

As long as you believe in Craig Button, you think this is a good pick.

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810005 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

ESPN liked this pick for us, so there is that.

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810006 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I like this kid. Looked really good in the Finals against the Oil Kings.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810011 is a reply to message #810006 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 20:11

I like this kid. Looked really good in the Finals against the Oil Kings.

He's a got a quick release.. and able to use it in the ugly areas with that 6'-3" x 220 size.
I remember the Oil King series he was always in the play near the net.. can't remember his skating though.. that will be the determining factor. Tyler Wright did say on Gregor's show that they want to be big, fast, smart, skilled.. hopefully Schaeffer ticked off the "fast" box.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810015 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

At 32nd overall? Who knows. Only 12 32nd overall picks have cracked 100 NHL points, so this is a lottery ticket.

He's big, he has okay numbers. Some negative feedback on his skating, but who knows, maybe he can figure that out and maybe he becomes a real player.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl-draft/en/overall/32-overall- draft-picks-players-all-time-points-leaders.html

Best 32nd overall by points is Tony McKegney and by games played is Eric Weinrich, so he doesn't have a lot to live up to his draft position!

Several former Oilers at 32nd overall too...Derek Roy is the third highest scoring 32nd pick. Tony "the Circus" Hrkac is #5. Mike Watt is #20 (and the best picked by Edmonton). Ty Rattie is #21, Ryan Stone is #32. Tyler Benson is #27 and Mark Laforge is #41. Ron Areshenkoff is #43 out of the 44 who've played an NHL game.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810018 is a reply to message #810015 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 21:22

Several former Oilers at 32nd overall too...Tyler Benson.

RD triggered and is no longer a Schaefer supporter

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810020 is a reply to message #810018 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Jesse Puljujarvi replacement? 6'3" winger with shot for 6'3" winger with shot?

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810038 is a reply to message #810015 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 20:22

At 32nd overall? Who knows. Only 12 32nd overall picks have cracked 100 NHL points, so this is a lottery ticket.

He's big, he has okay numbers. Some negative feedback on his skating, but who knows, maybe he can figure that out and maybe he becomes a real player.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl-draft/en/overall/32-overall- draft-picks-players-all-time-points-leaders.html

Best 32nd overall by points is Tony McKegney and by games played is Eric Weinrich, so he doesn't have a lot to live up to his draft position!

Several former Oilers at 32nd overall too...Derek Roy is the third highest scoring 32nd pick. Tony "the Circus" Hrkac is #5. Mike Watt is #20 (and the best picked by Edmonton). Ty Rattie is #21, Ryan Stone is #32. Tyler Benson is #27 and Mark Laforge is #41. Ron Areshenkoff is #43 out of the 44 who've played an NHL game.

Agree.. at 32 you are taking your best educated guess.. Nick Paul the guy Schaeffer was compared to on the draft broadcast (for what its worth) was drafted in the 4th round by Ottawa.. you never know.. but what you can guarantee is that a lot of guys drafted ahead of Schaeffer won't be heard of again at the NHL level.. maybe even Schaeffer.. that's the draft.. sad truth.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810039 is a reply to message #810038 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 23:27

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 20:22

Agree.. at 32 you are taking your best educated guess.. Nick Paul the guy Schaeffer was compared to on the draft broadcast (for what its worth) was drafted in the 4th round by Ottawa.. you never know.. but what you can guarantee is that a lot of guys drafted ahead of Schaeffer won't be heard of again at the NHL level.. maybe even Schaeffer.. that's the draft.. sad truth.

He draws comparison to Alex Killorn often, who has been a big part of Tampa’s successes. Kid has a lot of work in front of him but y’just never know.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810045 is a reply to message #810039 ]
Fri, 08 July 2022 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Going to go against the grain here, but just catching up on the draft and have to say ( I know I've voiced my opinion before on this) but the "old/new/old/new" jersery looked very dated when presented to Schaefer. It could have done with a update or two for me.

As for the pick itself, we could get lucky with him, but we need to give him 2 or 3 years before we expect him to challenge for a full time roster spot for sure.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810016 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hemmer2Eberle  is currently offline Hemmer2Eberle

No Cups

Kinda shocked... Seen this kids name linked to the Oilers on more than a few lists in the last week.

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810021 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

TSN Interview
https://www.tsn.ca/reid-schaefer-mauled-by-nhl-interviews-af ter-strong-season-in-seattle-1.1817193
Quote:

During a conversation with TSN, Schaefer outlined how he took his game to another level this season while helping the Thunderbirds reach the WHL final. The following is an edited transcript of the interview.

TSN: What led to your success this season?

Schaefer: "It's a testament to how hard I worked. Last season, I only had two points in 18 games. I really used the last off-season to better myself and hone my skills every day. I went into this season with a lot of confidence."

TSN: What did you work on last summer?

Schaefer: "I worked on my shot. That was definitely a main focus. I worked on my release and the power aspect. I worked on my overall game. The main thing was my confidence. Last year, I didn't play with much confidence and having more confidence gave me more skill on the ice to do my thing."

TSN: How did you get that confidence?

Schaefer: "[Head coach] Matt O'Dette believed in me, and he gave me an opportunity. He was a guy who trusted me and with his trust came my confidence. He's a guy I could rely on, and he pushed me to be better. He was a key factor in me gaining confidence."

TSN: Nineteen of your 32 goals this season came after the calendar flipped to 2022. How did you elevate down the stretch?

Schaefer: "In the first half, I was just getting settled in the season and trying to figure out my game and play that consistently. Come Christmastime, I reflected on the first half and wanted to be better and really make a push to climb up the draft rankings and help my team succeed. After the first half, I wanted to up my game and prove to some more people what I can do."

TSN: How do you feel about your playoff performance?

Schaefer: "We had tremendous postseason success and that helped with my individual success. I like to rise to the occasion. We were down 3-1 to Portland [in the second-round series] and it was a matter of people stepping up … I definitely stepped up in the big games. Everyone on our team stepped up and we just believed."

TSN: How do you raise your game without getting carried away in big moments?

Schaefer: "There's definitely a lot of nerves, so you have to handle that. But, other than that, you just feed off the crowd. I like facing adversity and when you're playing in front of a big crowd it's nice to get in the game early and quiet them when you're in the away barn."

TSN: You don't mind the villain role?

Schaefer: "No, I don't mind it at all."

TSN: How would you describe your game?

Schaefer: "I'm a big, two-way power forward with offensive upside. I'm a pretty good skater for how big I am. I think I possess a pretty good shot as well."

TSN: Who is your NHL role model?

Schaefer: "I like to model my game after a guy like Alex Tuch. Also, a guy I like is Josh Anderson. They are both two-way power forwards, who play with grit but also have offensive upside and have sneaky hands in tight and have that scoring touch."

TSN: What's your focus this summer?

Schaefer: "I'm trying to work on my first three strides and that explosiveness factor. I want to get to that max speed a lot quicker. Also, being a bigger guy, I want to work on my lateral agility. I know defenders at the next level are really good, so to be able to shake them and use my size to my advantage would be huge."

TSN: You aren't the only Thunderbird who will be drafted this year. What do you appreciate about the game of defenceman Kevin Korchinski?

Schaefer: "He's a stud. He's an unbelievable player with the playmaking abilities and how smooth he is with his skating and how slick he is with his hands. He's a heck of a player and will get his name called early."

TSN: What was it like playing against him in the Canadian Hockey League Top Prospects Game?

Schaefer: "That was a really cool experience and Kevin actually tripped me up in the third period there. I thought that was pretty funny. You don't really ever draw a penalty on a teammate."

TSN: You chirp him about that?

Schaefer: "Yeah. He thought I toe picked, but I thought he was all over me and just bear hugging me."

TSN: You missed the NHL Scouting Combine because of the long playoff run. So, what has the interview process been like for you since the season wrapped up?

Schaefer: "I got home four days ago, and I've been mauled by interviews. I had 12 this week and I have a few more next week. It's been a crazy week with having to adjust my schedule and change workout and skating times."

TSN: Any strange questions?

Schaefer: "Montreal had a few psychological questions that were tricky. Throughout the season I got weird questions. I heard, 'What animal would you like to be? Who would you like to be flying a plane you're in? Would you pick up a $50 bill off a toilet seat or a $100 bill from the toilet?' Some weird questions like that."

TSN: What's the plane question?

Schaefer: "There were six other guys on the Zoom call, and they asked me who I would like to fly a plane: myself or the six other guys. I said, 'Let's do it as a group effort and everyone can contribute. Let's all add our ideas together and hopefully keep this plane in the air!'"

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810028 is a reply to message #810021 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Color me unimpressed. This has thr makings of a major fail of am off-season.

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810031 is a reply to message #810028 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 21:53

It's 32nd overall. Who would you rather we picked? If you're going to slam this, better to be on the record with your alternate pick now!

For me, I've had strong opinions the last couple years. I wanted Zegras or Caufield over Broberg. I wanted Wallstedt over Bourgault. But this one? It's so late in the draft that it's all a crap shoot anyhow. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

I did want DeBrincat the last time the Oilers picked 32nd though...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810033 is a reply to message #810031 ]
Thu, 07 July 2022 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 22:02

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Thu, 07 July 2022 21:53

It's 32nd overall. Who would you rather we picked? If you're going to slam this, better to be on the record with your alternate pick now!

For me, I've had strong opinions the last couple years. I wanted Zegras or Caufield over Broberg. I wanted Wallstedt over Bourgault. But this one? It's so late in the draft that it's all a crap shoot anyhow. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

I did want DeBrincat the last time the Oilers picked 32nd though...

This draft was supposedly tiered in talent and not very deep. 1-6ish, 7-20ish and then 21-60ish.

I think clutchlikeeberle’s still hung up on the Nurse extension so I’ll take his point of view with a grain of salt. The Oil got the player they wanted and created cap space by moving a bad contract. They have two 3 years to make up the lost picks for the upcoming drafts.

Today gives this off-season potential to be much better than it was yesterday.

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810632 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Fri, 15 July 2022 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

@edmontonoilers

🤝 ✍️ 😊

The #Oilers have signed 2022 first-round pick Reid Schaefer to a three-year entry-level contract!

#LetsGoOilers

Once again Holland just tossing around extra contract years for no reason.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810637 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Fri, 15 July 2022 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I watched him in the rookie prospect game last night.. kid has some speed, and hands.. he'll be one to watch, and IMHO surprise on the upside next year.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810685 is a reply to message #810637 ]
Mon, 18 July 2022 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

There is a reason. something about his when his birthday is, this turns into a rare 4 year ELC for some reason.

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #810690 is a reply to message #810685 ]
Mon, 18 July 2022 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 18 July 2022 08:47

There is a reason. something about his when his birthday is, this turns into a rare 4 year ELC for some reason.

You are correct.. read the same thing.. he's a late birthday.. if they waited they would have lost a year of ELC and slide eligibility

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #812467 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Wed, 12 October 2022 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Just thought I'd highlight.. 4 games played..

Reid Shaeffer 6G 0A = 6pts

Selfish bastard.. pass a freaking puck buddy! lol!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #812880 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Sat, 22 October 2022 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Over on the bright side of Oiler-ville..

Reid Schaefer pots two more goals today to co-lead the WHL in goals scored with 10G.. (with Connor Bedard)

.. Except Schaeffer has done it 7 games.. Beddard in 12.. !!

Good chance to make the TC Juniors this year at this rate.

Its early .. but the kid's looking pretty good.. icon_nod

Goals here;
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheWHL/status/1584013452661915648 ?cxt=HHwWgIDU1ff1xfsrAAAA

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheWHL/status/1584014026568519680 ?cxt=HHwWgMDSzauXxvsrAAAA

Kid knows how to bury the puck.. could use that particular flavour on the Oilers.

[Updated on: Sun, 23 October 2022 00:01]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #813368 is a reply to message #810001 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Schaeffer with another hat trick last night.. tied for lead in WHL goals with Bedard.. 13G
Shaeffer in 10 games.. Bedard in 15 games icon_smile

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #813372 is a reply to message #813368 ]
Wed, 02 November 2022 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The Oilers could use a good skating, big, tough, physical goal scoring winger!

Re: Oilers Select 1st rd (#32) - Reid Schaefer [message #813402 is a reply to message #813372 ]
Thu, 03 November 2022 16:57 Go to previous message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

Was looking of Reid Schaefer and saw that his cousin is former Oiler Colin Fraser. I find it amazing sometimes how random players are related to each other.

Previous Topic:GDT: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #11)
Next Topic:Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #11)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca