This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804015 is a reply to message #804008 ]
Mon, 11 April 2022 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 11 April 2022 17:36

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 11 April 2022 14:35

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 11 April 2022 13:03

The media hate from a select few on Puljujarvi is making me sick.

Only thing to complain about his game is not finishing, and of course that is all they can talk about as if the Oilers are just loaded with snipers that should be taking his place lol.

Hopefully Jesse just takes it all as motivation to work in his shot this summer. Polish up that release and he would be an absolute beast.

It's frustrating watching JP not bury chances, but you want guys to get the chances. I'd be worries if he wasn't making plays to create chances or putting himself in scoring position. Clearly he does both well. I was really worried about Yams earlier in the year when he wasnt really even getting shot attempts. That kind of play is what gets you down the lineup and in the PB, and worse. Thankfully Yams got out of it, but at the time he was actually lucky because there was no one else that could have been elevated.

They'll start to go for JP, I'd love that guy's S% to approach 15 instead of below 9%

The kid is fragile, which is normal for any young player. Shoot, he was almost out of the league and has came back and found a significant role on this team. Media sucks.

I think Puljujarvi has the right coach at the right time for him to work through this. Jesse has some big goals left in him and I hope they get at the biggest stage. A solid playoffs would do wonders for the Bison King. Absolutely love this gem.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804024 is a reply to message #804015 ]
Tue, 12 April 2022 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 11 April 2022 23:23

Only thing to complain about his game is not finishing, and of course that is all they can talk about as if the Oilers are just loaded with snipers that should be taking his place lol.

Hopefully Jesse just takes it all as motivation to work in his shot this summer. Polish up that release and he would be an absolute beast.

It's frustrating watching JP not bury chances, but you want guys to get the chances. I'd be worries if he wasn't making plays to create chances or putting himself in scoring position. Clearly he does both well. I was really worried about Yams earlier in the year when he wasnt really even getting shot attempts. That kind of play is what gets you down the lineup and in the PB, and worse. Thankfully Yams got out of it, but at the time he was actually lucky because there was no one else that could have been elevated.

They'll start to go for JP, I'd love that guy's S% to approach 15 instead of below 9%

The kid is fragile, which is normal for any young player. Shoot, he was almost out of the league and has came back and found a significant role on this team. Media sucks.

I think Puljujarvi has the right coach at the right time for him to work through this. Jesse has some big goals left in him and I hope they get at the biggest stage. A solid playoffs would do wonders for the Bison King. Absolutely love this gem.

Yeah, the team has some issues. Jesse is pretty far down the list IMO. Probably better that he hasn't buried all his chances while still, by most accounts and metrics, played very very well. Will make it possible to fit everyone under the cap maybe.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804025 is a reply to message #804024 ]
Tue, 12 April 2022 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 12 April 2022 07:35

Yeah, the team has some issues. Jesse is pretty far down the list IMO. Probably better that he hasn't buried all his chances while still, by most accounts and metrics, played very very well. Will make it possible to fit everyone under the cap maybe.

Damn shame we signed Kassian for 3.2 for so long. That's some dead cap space we could really use this summer.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804028 is a reply to message #804025 ]
Tue, 12 April 2022 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 12 April 2022 08:02

Damn shame we signed Kassian for 3.2 for so long. That's some dead cap space we could really use this summer.

There are so many bad GMs, any really good one could get rid of Zack Kassian this summer. But then, if we had a really good GM, he would have sold high on Kassian a long time ago...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804026 is a reply to message #804024 ]
Tue, 12 April 2022 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Robin Brownlee was advocating a low-value bridge deal yesterday. These guys never ever learn.

Guaranteed if we do another 1-2 year deal, Puljujarvi will have a massive season just before the next contract where he has an unsustainable shooting percentage, and the Oilers will overpay massively and live to regret the contract.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804030 is a reply to message #804026 ]
Tue, 12 April 2022 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 April 2022 09:53

Robin Brownlee was advocating a low-value bridge deal yesterday. These guys never ever learn.

Guaranteed if we do another 1-2 year deal, Puljujarvi will have a massive season just before the next contract where he has an unsustainable shooting percentage, and the Oilers will overpay massively and live to regret the contract.

What is a fair number on a long term deal?

Strudwick made point yesterday. If he was JP, he wouldn't sign long term, he'd sign short term and bet on himself because advanced stats aside, players generally get paid for production. So right now based on pure numbers, JP might not score 15 goals playing mostly with McD so that should hurt his value a bit. I don't see JP signing for any less than but Kotkaniemi got on a long term which is 4.825 which would be 4 times what JP makes now. That seems like a lot and JP would have to improve a ton to make that a value deal. If JP is willing to take around 3 mill on a 4+ yr deal which is a massive raise on what he gets now, I'd do that in a heartbeat. Pushing 5 mill, that's a lot and will be be a 5 mill player after next year? Hard to say.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804035 is a reply to message #804026 ]
Tue, 12 April 2022 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 April 2022 12:53

I'd sign him longer term if I could. But if I'm Jesse, I'm not signing long term for what will be the likely number. I fully expect him to produce a lot more than he has this year. 1PPG over a season is not out of the question, especially if he stays on McDavid's wing. He was exactly 1PPG a month in (14GP), and I think he looks better now than the start of the year.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804037 is a reply to message #804035 ]
Tue, 12 April 2022 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Tue, 12 April 2022 11:30

I'd sign him longer term if I could. But if I'm Jesse, I'm not signing long term for what will be the likely number. I fully expect him to produce a lot more than he has this year. 1PPG over a season is not out of the question, especially if he stays on McDavid's wing. He was exactly 1PPG a month in (14GP), and I think he looks better now than the start of the year.

I 100% agree with you. I hope the Oilers try to sign him long term to a decent number that has a chance of being a value deal. But if I am JP, unless the Oilers throw a stupidly high number at me, I wouldn't sign long term. Things are going well for him but the offensive numbers aren't as high as they could be which will lower his bargaining power. Assuming the Oilers keep Woodcroft, thing will probably be even better for JP next year so there is a good chance he can boost his numbers.

I think he might get 15 goals by seasons end this year which is not bad but if you have a season where you have more than 20, you contract number automatically goes up.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804039 is a reply to message #804035 ]
Tue, 12 April 2022 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Always a chance a player takes that approach, but if you offered him, say 6 years at $4.5MM per, that's a pretty decent amount. He's significantly richer and it's guaranteed. If the alternative is a couple years at $2.5 and then hope to hit it out of the park...well, that's a risk. You could get hurt, you could have other players come in and challenge for your spot, you could get traded to a crappy team...

Where we've made some long-term bets on young players, it's generally been a really good decision. Klefbom was a bargain contract very quickly. Draisaitl, even with the overpay that summer based on comparables, is now a bargain deal.

I struggle with giving 30-year olds long deals, but a guy in his early 20s? I think it's worth the risk, and certainly, if you wait until he's almost UFA and usually coming off a massive year? That's when we are forced to pay through the nose (like with Nurse) or cut bait.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804149 is a reply to message #804039 ]
Thu, 14 April 2022 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 April 2022 10:47

Always a chance a player takes that approach, but if you offered him, say 6 years at $4.5MM per, that's a pretty decent amount. He's significantly richer and it's guaranteed. If the alternative is a couple years at $2.5 and then hope to hit it out of the park...well, that's a risk. You could get hurt, you could have other players come in and challenge for your spot, you could get traded to a crappy team...

Where we've made some long-term bets on young players, it's generally been a really good decision. Klefbom was a bargain contract very quickly. Draisaitl, even with the overpay that summer based on comparables, is now a bargain deal.

I struggle with giving 30-year olds long deals, but a guy in his early 20s? I think it's worth the risk, and certainly, if you wait until he's almost UFA and usually coming off a massive year? That's when we are forced to pay through the nose (like with Nurse) or cut bait.

6 years at $4.5MM would be great, for both sides. Honestly, I'd go up to 8 years & up to $5MM with Puljujarvi and be happy if they got it done for that. The only way you can get value contracts outside of the ELC is to make bets on young players, and every arrow, other than goals, is pointing up for him. Every player that he plays with performs better when Puljujarvi is on the ice.

Even with his recent scoring slump, his numbers still project to 18 goals over 82 games. That's decent production, and maybe not quite worth $5M on it's own, but it's not that far off. And when you factor in everything else that Pujujarvi does to help the team, I think he's worth that much today, nevermind what he'll be in 2 or 3 years if he keeps on his current trajectory. Or they can lowball him on a 2-year bridge, watch him score 30 goals next year + 10 in the playoffs, all while playing against the other team's top lines, and then pay him $7.5M+ on his next contract.

Nice to see Woodcroft shut down Spec's nonsense here: https://twitter.com/puljuoil/status/1514366963820105730?s=20 &t=AgVOg2MvNFzTnDI2mkVskg

[Updated on: Thu, 14 April 2022 13:22]

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804151 is a reply to message #804039 ]
Thu, 14 April 2022 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 April 2022 11:47

Nice try but Chris Pronger recently informed me that those numbers are basically going to put him on food stamps.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73) [message #804154 is a reply to message #804151 ]
Thu, 14 April 2022 17:34 Go to previous message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 14 April 2022 16:41

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 April 2022 11:47

Nice try but Chris Pronger recently informed me that those numbers are basically going to put him on food stamps.

Did he account for all the rental baby furniture that Oiler fans burned on his front lawn into his list of expences?

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Nashville (Game #75)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Minnesota (Game #74)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca