This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803847]
Thu, 07 April 2022 23:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Los Angeles to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803848 is a reply to message #803847 ]
Thu, 07 April 2022 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Great entertaining game. Eat it, McLellan

The 5 on 5 has been pretty good lately.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803852 is a reply to message #803848 ]
Thu, 07 April 2022 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Really good 5v5, gotta be one of the best in the league since Woodcroft came in I would imagine?

If this team had Woodcroft and league average goaltending the whole year...

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803849 is a reply to message #803847 ]
Thu, 07 April 2022 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

I'm starting to feel pride at seeing Smith play for the Oil- he was rock-solid tonight for the team with both GA on plays that weren't on him. Six in a row, baby.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803854 is a reply to message #803847 ]
Thu, 07 April 2022 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Smitty's stick handling is such a factor, gets the puck up to the D and out so easily..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803855 is a reply to message #803847 ]
Thu, 07 April 2022 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I love this place. The Battler is one bad game from us turning on him. I want to like him, but I hate that flat brimmed doooooosh.

This fan base along with 97 and 29 deserve a goalie

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803859 is a reply to message #803855 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 07 April 2022 23:21

I love this place. The Battler is one bad game from us turning on him. I want to like him, but I hate that flat brimmed doooooosh.

This fan base along with 97 and 29 deserve a goalie

It’s true. Extremely guarded optimism.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803866 is a reply to message #803859 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

What a huge win! Refereeing was surprisingly not as bad as we've been treated to in other Kings games. Though there were 3-4 pretty hard hits to the numbers that went uncalled. And I was stunned to see them call that hold on Ryan with us leading and only 4 minutes to go.

3 up on the Kings with a game in hand, and 7 clear of Vegas. Jack mentioned we can start looking at Calgary now - as much as I hate the idea of hearing about the Flames winning the division, I have 0 desire to play Nashville/St Louis/Minnesota/Dallas in the first round. In our history, those are literally the 4 Western teams we have the worst record against. In the playoffs, there is no team I want to face less than the Stars. Still have PTSD from 1998-2003.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803869 is a reply to message #803866 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 08 April 2022 06:40

What a huge win! Refereeing was surprisingly not as bad as we've been treated to in other Kings games. Though there were 3-4 pretty hard hits to the numbers that went uncalled. And I was stunned to see them call that hold on Ryan with us leading and only 4 minutes to go.

3 up on the Kings with a game in hand, and 7 clear of Vegas. Jack mentioned we can start looking at Calgary now - as much as I hate the idea of hearing about the Flames winning the division, I have 0 desire to play Nashville/St Louis/Minnesota/Dallas in the first round. In our history, those are literally the 4 Western teams we have the worst record against. In the playoffs, there is no team I want to face less than the Stars. Still have PTSD from 1998-2003.

Isn't the record against Nashville, St. Louis and Minnesota all 0-0 in the playoffs? I can't remember a series against St. Louis in any of the glory years days, and I know we haven't played the other two ever.

Dallas is an interesting team. I'm not sure what to make of them. On paper they look like they should be better than their results.

I am worried about everyone in the playoffs, because our goaltending is still a major weakness, and the NHL is run by chimpanzees who think it's a positive that virtually no fouls get called in the post-season. Smith & Koskinen is far from an ideal tandem to pin our hopes to.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803872 is a reply to message #803869 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 08 April 2022 08:59

Isn't the record against Nashville, St. Louis and Minnesota all 0-0 in the playoffs? I can't remember a series against St. Louis in any of the glory years days, and I know we haven't played the other two ever.

Dallas is an interesting team. I'm not sure what to make of them. On paper they look like they should be better than their results.

I am worried about everyone in the playoffs, because our goaltending is still a major weakness, and the NHL is run by chimpanzees who think it's a positive that virtually no fouls get called in the post-season. Smith & Koskinen is far from an ideal tandem to pin our hopes to.

Totally this. I'm excited for the possibility of making the playoffs, but I also know the way the team is setup is less than ideal for a serious run.

You need a legit solid goaltender, we have two guys who straddle the fence between starter and backup.

And you need a defence that can really take it to the other team, especially in our own zone.

We depend on forward depth to outscore the other team, but in a playoff series against a smart coach who knows how to lock down our scoring threats... we're in trouble.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803879 is a reply to message #803869 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 08 April 2022 12:59

Yeah - I meant regular season obviously as the only one of those teams we played in the playoffs is Dallas. And like 60 times in a row.

And I know ancient history doesn't really matter, but the Wild have just always had our number. Our winning % against them is the lower than any other team: 38.5%. Dallas is next at 40.3% (2-6 in playoff series 2-6 if you count the North Stars). And this year, we are a combined 0-4 against them.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803880 is a reply to message #803879 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Fri, 08 April 2022 11:18

Adam wrote on Fri, 08 April 2022 12:59

Yeah - I meant regular season obviously as the only one of those teams we played in the playoffs is Dallas. And like 60 times in a row.

And I know ancient history doesn't really matter, but the Wild have just always had our number. Our winning % against them is the lower than any other team: 38.5%. Dallas is next at 40.3% (2-6 in playoff series 2-6 if you count the North Stars). And this year, we are a combined 0-4 against them.

Yeah, the longer we can stay in the Smythe Pacific Division, the better. Everyone in the Central looks to be scarier opponents than the Kings, Flames or Knights this year. I wonder if Winnipeg isn't a playoff team if they didn't have to play their division most.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803881 is a reply to message #803880 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

I mean I hate to ever look too far ahead given the recent playoff history here, but I wouldn't shed a tear if the Flames/Preds had a real Smashville-type 7 game series.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803882 is a reply to message #803881 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Sounds like another good game for Smith.

So who do we start vs the Avs? Smith has a pretty good record over his past 6-7 starts, but Mikko has been sitting for a few, so maybe time to bring him back?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803883 is a reply to message #803882 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 08 April 2022 12:29

So who do we start vs the Avs? Smith has a pretty good record over his past 6-7 starts, but Mikko has been sitting for a few, so maybe time to bring him back?

I'd start Mikko. Smith has had a good run which is nice to see but they also need Mikko going. He's had lots of rest to recover from his illness plus mentally he should be rested so there shouldn't be the issue of playing him too much. Plus I'd like to think that seeing Smith play so well and win 3 in a row, would light a fire for him to want to show he's still got it as well.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803884 is a reply to message #803882 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 13:09 Go to previous message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Fri, 08 April 2022 12:29

I do wonder if Koskinen hasn't been 100% here for a couple games still. It has been surprising to see Smith trotted back out again and again, even with him playing fairly well. We saw him tweak his leg, and we know he's fragile and old. To me, giving him that whole road trip only makes sense if Koskinen wasn't fully healthy.

That probably plays a role in deciding who plays Saturday as well.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803856 is a reply to message #803847 ]
Thu, 07 April 2022 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Magic number: oooh just a Musty 14

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803865 is a reply to message #803847 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Great game! Love that the boys are heating up now, although I myself have no confidence in either goalie.

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72) [message #803867 is a reply to message #803865 ]
Fri, 08 April 2022 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

They are starting to put teams in the review mirror.
7 points clear of Vegas with 10 games to go.
3 pts clear of the Kings with 9 games to go.

Even have a little breathing room with the wildcard teams. Keep rolling!

I am not a fan of Smith but if he is heating up, good timing. Good for the team but also puts pressure on Mikko to buckle down as well. So that's a good thing.

I'd like to see them get the Nuge line sorted.

Hat tip to the refs for doing everything they can to prepare the Oilers for the playoffs. Another game of mugging and grabbing. They added in the extra wrinkle of letting Kings drill guys in the back with a few hits from behind. Thanks for the help boys!

[Updated on: Fri, 08 April 2022 08:14]

Previous Topic:Pregame: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #73)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca