This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803730]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
San Jose to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803731 is a reply to message #803730 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

I'm feeling..not pride, but less shame at Smith still being an Oiler after tonight.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803733 is a reply to message #803730 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k is currently online g2k

2 Cups

Losing half a step can be critical hey Burnsie? I thought for sure he was intercepting that. Nope! I knew it was in the back of the net as soon as 97 received it.

2 points!

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803734 is a reply to message #803730 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Alls forgiven Mr Smith! Way to battle and get that puck to a spot that only Connor could get it for the breakaway.

GOING TO SLEEP IN SECOND PLACE YOOOO!! HOPE THE WIFE IS READY FOR SOME MUST TONIGHT

… okay not ALL is forgiven but 2 points largely in part due to Smith tonight

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803742 is a reply to message #803734 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

How on earth did we win this one after such an insipid performance? I know we can't play sweet looking hockey every game, but that not a good showing, hopefully that's this weeks bad game out of the way and we move on to LA.

Missing Drai made us a little light down the middle, that 1-2 punch wears teams down and missing a part of that showed tonight and probably played it's part in the whole performance.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803746 is a reply to message #803742 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Leia wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 23:12

How on earth did we win this one after such an insipid performance? I know we can't play sweet looking hockey every game, but that not a good showing, hopefully that's this weeks bad game out of the way and we move on to LA.

Missing Drai made us a little light down the middle, that 1-2 punch wears teams down and missing a part of that showed tonight and probably played it's part in the whole performance.

Definitely agree on missing L50n. The dynamic of that “second” line is so different with him instead of Nuggy.

I also don’t really like the idea of any combo of McLeod, Ryan, Brassard and Nuge on a 3rd line. I really think they should bring Holloway up to give a 3rd line a different look. But c’est la vie.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803751 is a reply to message #803742 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Leia wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 23:12

I think it looked worse than it was because SJ just ran a tight trap the entire game - hate that, so boring.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803757 is a reply to message #803751 ]
Wed, 06 April 2022 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Huge 2 points. Great pass for the OT winner. Nice to see Smith play well.

This is a very different team when any of our top 3 Cs are out. Leon was sorely missed just like Nuge was when he was out. Hopefully he's 100% sooner rather than later.

So even with a 5 game win streak, we still need to keep it going. Still not much breathing room. It's been pointed out before, but between us, LA, and Vegas, we have by far the toughest schedule remaining.

We have 8/11 against teams in the playoffs or right on the cusp. Vegas has 5/11. And LA only 3 of 10! Needless to say the games against LA and Vegas are absolute must win, in regulation.

Even Dallas has only 6/13 against playoff teams. Nashville is the only one in the mix with us with a similarly difficult remaining schedule - 9/13 against playoff teams.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 April 2022 08:36]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803759 is a reply to message #803734 ]
Wed, 06 April 2022 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 23:02

Alls forgiven Mr Smith! Way to battle and get that puck to a spot that only Connor could get it for the breakaway.

GOING TO SLEEP IN SECOND PLACE YOOOO!! HOPE THE WIFE IS READY FOR SOME MUST TONIGHT

Smith's "tweak or injury" while doing basically nothing out of the ordinary for a goalie, looked similar to how I am sometimes after going to the gym. I am over 40 and sometimes I tweak stuff doing something I have done 100's of times just because I am over 40 and it happens. He should take this really good game for him, especially setting up the game winner with his famous puck handling and ride off into the sunset. Go out on a high. Then all he has to do is mention that game winner to an Oilers fan and he will get a free drinks. If he doesn't, the next time he lets in a trash goal, that game winner set up will be forgotten.

Take the drinks before it's too late MIKE!!!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803760 is a reply to message #803759 ]
Wed, 06 April 2022 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 06 April 2022 09:03

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 23:02

Smith's "tweak or injury" while doing basically nothing out of the ordinary for a goalie, looked similar to how I am sometimes after going to the gym. I am over 40 and sometimes I tweak stuff doing something I have done 100's of times just because I am over 40 and it happens. He should take this really good game for him, especially setting up the game winner with his famous puck handling and ride off into the sunset. Go out on a high. Then all he has to do is mention that game winner to an Oilers fan and he will get a free drinks. If he doesn't, the next time he lets in a trash goal, that game winner set up will be forgotten.

Take the drinks before it's too late MIKE!!!

Hahaha thoroughly enjoyed this.

But we all know he’s gonna battle all the way through this season and entire contract.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803738 is a reply to message #803730 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

I still think the boys were out drinkin last night. Uneven effort.

Huge shorty by Nuge, Hyman had the work boots on even if he was hung over. I was bicthing about Smith staying in that game, but some big stops for sure and what a feed to Connor in OT. My goodness.

Really needed that game, need better effort against LA.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803739 is a reply to message #803738 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 23:08

I still think the boys were out drinkin last night. Uneven effort.

Huge shorty by Nuge, Hyman had the work boots on even if he was hung over. I was bicthing about Smith staying in that game, but some big stops for sure and what a feed to Connor in OT. My goodness.

Really needed that game, need better effort against LA.

They stole two points tonight. Gotta think Drai is back and they have a MUST better effort Thursday night in LA

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803745 is a reply to message #803730 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Let's go get Calgary.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803747 is a reply to message #803745 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 23:17

Let's go get Calgary.

They just beat LA in regulation last night. They play the ducks, sharks and krakenX2 for their next 4 games.

With 2 in hand up 5 points on us, I don’t think we’re catching them. They play Vegas next Thursday, but aside from that their games won’t have much bearing on us

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803749 is a reply to message #803747 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 23:21

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 05 April 2022 23:17

Let's go get Calgary.

They just beat LA in regulation last night. They play the ducks, sharks and krakenX2 for their next 4 games.

With 2 in hand up 5 points on us, I don’t think we’re catching them. They play Vegas next Thursday, but aside from that their games won’t have much bearing on us

The Flames implode every year just like the Oilers. Their fan base is walking on pond ice in late April. Just waiting to fall through.

If they go better than 2-2 during the next two games I’d be surprised. They’re also a first round knockout a burning Johnny Hockey ephigy away from self destruction.

We ain’t catching them, but they’re still pretenders to Florida, Colorado, Carolina and even Toronto. Flames fans would have puckered balloon knots just like us in a BOA.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803748 is a reply to message #803730 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Quote:

McDavid: ..I wish my defencemen could hit me on the fly like Smitty did there...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803750 is a reply to message #803730 ]
Tue, 05 April 2022 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Sometimes an ugly 2-1 OT win against a lesser opponent is much more gratifying than a 5-0 shut out of a playoff team.

Ugly wins are like ugly goals. You need them to be successful.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803756 is a reply to message #803750 ]
Wed, 06 April 2022 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I don't care how they do it, just win and keep winning. Sharks looked like they had a little more jump than the Oilers. I thought Reimer was really good. Hat tip to Smith as he played extremely well.

Call me being overly hopeful but maybe Smith and his "tweak" is the injury they need to let Skinner get in. Smith played a hell of a game, stole one for the Oilers. On top of that his vaunted puck handling was the key pass in the game winner. Great way to end off a long career.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803761 is a reply to message #803756 ]
Wed, 06 April 2022 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I hope the trainers double check that JP's skates are sharp and he is using the right stick for next game. I have been liking his game a lot since he came back from the injury but holy man he had a rough night. Falling down, he had to have been set up 3 or more times for open looks and he wiffed on the puck. Just fighting it big time last night.

Another guy who had another quietish night against the Sharks was Kane. I thought given there was some of his old teammates bashing him a bit, the issues with the organization, fans booing him, he'd be running around hitting everything that moves, trying to beat the hell out of someone and scoring.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803762 is a reply to message #803761 ]
Wed, 06 April 2022 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Didn't watch any of the game due to the time, but happy to see us get the 2 pts. Doesn't sound like it was much of a game to watch. Nice to hear that Smith had a solid outing. Nice assist on the GWG too.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803764 is a reply to message #803762 ]
Wed, 06 April 2022 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 06 April 2022 12:15

Didn't watch any of the game due to the time, but happy to see us get the 2 pts. Doesn't sound like it was much of a game to watch. Nice to hear that Smith had a solid outing. Nice assist on the GWG too.

Just watch the few highlights and you will be fine. Most of the game was pretty boring as the Sharks really trapped hard and the Oilers didn't have a lot of juice.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71) [message #803767 is a reply to message #803730 ]
Wed, 06 April 2022 14:01 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

This was awesome! weights
Love it when 97 is happy :)
https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/151157516522568909 7

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #72)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #71)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca