This day on April 19
None

Happy Birthday To: jari17, trehorse, 5mowill, Dragon_Matt, smyth2007

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803077]
Sat, 26 March 2022 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Calgary to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803084 is a reply to message #803077 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EsNYDIeXYAESJjL?format=jpg&name=small

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803085 is a reply to message #803077 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

They didn’t get that 10th goal.

Moral victory.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803086 is a reply to message #803085 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 22:51

They didn’t get that 10th goal.

Moral victory.

The big picture is what matters.

I’m going to disagree with the (terrible) announce team. I do not want to see a battle of Alberta playoff series.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803089 is a reply to message #803086 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

That third period was a shocker, we just did nothing and let them get away with everything. We didn't even attempt to run at anyone, things were simmering all game, but why didn't they let it go and see if it changed the momentum??

All things being said, yes the goaltending wasn't our strongest, but they were left out to dry by the rest of the team on too many occasions, we could have had any of the best goalies in the world past or present and they'd to keep that score down with what they had in front of them.

To ease the tension and frustration of the scoreline, and that it's not just turned 6am here, I'm really enjoying the bird songs from outside my appartment. The joys of early spring mornings.

[Updated on: Sat, 26 March 2022 23:04]

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803090 is a reply to message #803086 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

No goaltending, no defense, no depth in the bottom six. No chance in hell.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803101 is a reply to message #803090 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 22:57

No goaltending, no defense, no depth in the bottom six. No chance in hell.

Their top 6 and their top pair got owned 5v5. The refs wouldn't give them any more PP's, not that they were earning much in the 3rd. 4-5 goals against ES for that group, maybe 6. I'm not laying much of this on the bottom 6 depth. Maybe you bang a goal out of your 4th line, but some veteran forwards in the top 6, a couple veteran D, and 2 goaltenders played some of the worst 5v5 hockey I can remember seeing for awhile.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803088 is a reply to message #803077 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Down without a fight.

Where’s the pride?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803094 is a reply to message #803088 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 22:56

Down without a fight.

Where’s the pride?

Not just no fight, but not even really throwing hits. We shrivelled up after about the 8th goal, and just laid down to die. I don't like that look. Would prefer them to get a little mad, even if they aren't having a line brawl.

I do think Bieksa was right - if Gaudreau is jitterbugging all over and the Flames are taking cheap shots at McDavid all night, then you have to give him every little shove you can. Can't just let him dance around.

The Flames definitely did have a plan of wearing out the refs whistles though. Took so many penalties early and then just kept doing the same interference, but the refs were too concerned with trying to even things up that they suddenly couldn't see red. I think the fact we were dominant on the PP made the refs even more scared to call more on them, although that's only because NHL refs are terrible.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803096 is a reply to message #803088 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

No one mention "Fire Holland" yet? I will... "Fire Holland"

This crap about 19/41 being left out to dry... Markstrom made numerous stops on the OIL in the first period; keeping the Flames in it early. Our guys, even if they both played AT THE SAME TIME, couldn't stop a beach ball. 19: .587 41: .846 tonight.

5 goals should be enough to win. 10 goals just shows the goaltending is not good enough. Maybe against non-playoff teams. But certainly not against a contender like CGY. announce

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803097 is a reply to message #803096 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

“I think when both goalies are healthy, I’m comfortable with our goaltending,” Oilers general manager Ken Holland said shortly after the NHL Trade Deadline passed on Tuesday. “It’s been over two-and-a-half years. I think that the goaltending has been really designed so it’s a 1A and 1B.”

Presented without comment.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803107 is a reply to message #803097 ]
Sun, 27 March 2022 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 23:08

Quote:

“I think when both goalies are healthy, I’m comfortable with our goaltending,” Oilers general manager Ken Holland said shortly after the NHL Trade Deadline passed on Tuesday. “It’s been over two-and-a-half years. I think that the goaltending has been really designed so it’s a 1A and 1B.”

Presented without comment.

I’m honestly stunned by that level of give a crap. Zippo pride.
Maybe this triggers their GAF, but I have my doubts.

Flames win Cup this year.

Motown, and all the other dinosaurs can go frick off to the sun.

What a joke.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803109 is a reply to message #803107 ]
Sun, 27 March 2022 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

On the one hand, I agree there were major lapses that led to way too many grade A chances against. Prime time Hasek at his best was not putting up a shut out last night. But prime time Hasek would also not have finished with an .846 save %, let alone a .583.

That’s 4 consecutive sub .900 Save % games for Koskinen. 17 goals against in less than 3.5 games.

And Smith, well he’ll have a decent game here and there, but about half his outings are sub .900 (9/19)

So far this year:

Koskinen: .899%, GAA, 3.17
Smith: .896%, GAA 3.41
Skinner: .913%, GAA 2.62

I don’t think Skinner is a future Vézina winner. I’m don’t know if he would be able to hold up for a deep playoff run if we do make it in, but what I do know is that we are not going anywhere with either of the incumbents.

Skinner had a couple of not great games, but he had more good games than bad. And crazy that after putting up a shutout we haven’t seen him in over a month. I truly believe he is our best chance.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803100 is a reply to message #803096 ]

No Cups

watchman wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 23:06

No one mention "Fire Holland" yet? I will... "Fire Holland"

This crap about 19/41 being left out to dry... Markstrom made numerous stops on the OIL in the first period; keeping the Flames in it early. Our guys, even if they both played AT THE SAME TIME, couldn't stop a beach ball. 19: .587 41: .846 tonight.

5 goals should be enough to win. 10 goals just shows the goaltending is not good enough. Maybe against non-playoff teams. But certainly not against a contender like CGY. announce

Read Adam's Signature.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803092 is a reply to message #803077 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Next year at this time?

LOOK OUT NHL!!!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803093 is a reply to message #803077 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oilers defensive and goaltending exposed. Coverage blown to smithereens, everything going in. Calgary on the 2nd of b2b games.

If it could be done I'd call up 2 from Bako and neither of these tenders dresses next game after this debacle. I'd sit the top pair and some forwards as well. Failed at basic hockey.

But no, can't do that at this stage, this team registers this kind of shat performance when they're pretending to have playoff aspirations.

Holy hell what an embarrassing performance. What TF was that? 20th lesson learned this year I guess, eh?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803095 is a reply to message #803093 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 23:02

Oilers defensive and goaltending exposed. Coverage blown to smithereens, everything going in. Calgary on the 2nd of b2b games.

If it could be done I'd call up 2 from Bako and neither of these tenders dresses next game after this debacle. I'd sit the top pair and some forwards as well. Failed at basic hockey.

But no, can't do that at this stage, this team registers this kind of shat performance when they're pretending to have playoff aspirations.

Holy hell what an embarrassing performance. What TF was that? 20th lesson learned this year I guess, eh?

I will say, sometimes embarrassments can be a pretty good rallying point. I'm always nervous about too dominant playoff wins for that reason. It can wake up the other squad. Maybe that happens for the Oilers...although I'm not sure anything can help the goaltending. I hope that Katz was watching that and that it helps to end the career of one Ken Holland here.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803098 is a reply to message #803095 ]

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 23:05

I will say, sometimes embarrassments can be a pretty good rallying point. I'm always nervous about too dominant playoff wins for that reason. It can wake up the other squad. Maybe that happens for the Oilers...although I'm not sure anything can help the goaltending. I hope that Katz was watching that and that it helps to end the career of one Ken Holland here.

And the guy that hired him.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803099 is a reply to message #803095 ]
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 23:05

You spelt "Lowe" wrong. And it can go in either spot...

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803102 is a reply to message #803077 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

https://media2.giphy.com/media/4cQSQYz0a9x9S/giphy.gif

Nice one boys.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803103 is a reply to message #803077 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The only person that can save this team is James Matheson.

“Why are you so pissy Duncan?”

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803104 is a reply to message #803077 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

I'm not even blaming the goalies. Just defecemen making huge mistakes and forwards too lazy to backcheck. It was a team effort of a loss.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803105 is a reply to message #803104 ]
Sat, 26 March 2022 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 23:19

I'm not even blaming the goalies. Just defecemen making huge mistakes and forwards too lazy to backcheck. It was a team effort of a loss.

I agree. Some things a goalie just can’t fix alone. It was a spazzfest by the D and the forwards need a boot up their ass.

It’s like this team will never see success unless they hire a Jacques Lemaire.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803106 is a reply to message #803105 ]
Sun, 27 March 2022 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 23:26

I agree. Some things a goalie just can’t fix alone. It was a spazzfest by the D and the forwards need a boot up their ass.

... or Darryl Sutter

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803111 is a reply to message #803106 ]
Sun, 27 March 2022 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 27 March 2022 00:04

g2k wrote on Sat, 26 March 2022 23:26

... or Darryl Sutter

Lol most of Oilfans would have grabbed pitchforks and torches if the Oilers hired Darryl Sutter.

Not a great night for a lot of veterans to devolve to junior defensive habits, or goalies to Spanish division 2 goaltending.

I wonder when was the last time an Oiler had 4 points but still was -4?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803110 is a reply to message #803077 ]
Sun, 27 March 2022 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Did everybody see how Smith battled after that 9-5 goal? The team knows he tightens things up after a few go past him. Needs some goal support. I’d say this loss falls on 97 & 29.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803112 is a reply to message #803110 ]
Sun, 27 March 2022 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 27 March 2022 09:57

Did everybody see how Smith battled after that 9-5 goal? The team knows he tightens things up after a few go past him. Needs some goal support. I’d say this loss falls on 97 & 29.

No kidding. If they were as good as everyone says they would both have hat tricks every night. Bums.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803125 is a reply to message #803112 ]
Mon, 28 March 2022 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I am pretty sure Wodcroft was on the bench but did Tippett jump in the room to do all the game prep which took the players will to try what so ever?

Other than maybe the first shift, I saw a team that abandoned all team structure they had established since Woodcroft took over. Guys weren't back checking. Dumb pinches, stupid passes. Bad reads, complete lack of defensive awareness. Dumb penalties. Leaving guys wide open in the shot. Goalies got left out to dry so I am not pinning all 9 on them but at the same time, they didn't make a single big save all night. Koskinen got pulled and sure there was some good chances but 5 goals on 12 shots is still 5 goals on 12 shots and really, really bad. Smith wasn't any better and I think some of the goals he let in weren't great. Other than the PP looking decent, they did nothing good and that was every player.

I thought the turning point in the game to put the nail in the coffin as bad as they were was Markstrom had already let in 5 but made maybe a save of the year candidate to stop the 6th, then the Flames score not long after to make it 7-5.

The Flames are a real good team but an extremely injury depleted Oilers team gave a completely healthy Flames team everything they could handle barely 2 weeks earlier by playing a sound team game. That sound game didn't show up what so ever. I was hoping for a good, hard fought, exciting game on Saturday. Sure they had lots of goals which made it look like an 80's game but that may have been one of the worst games the Oilers have played in a long time.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803126 is a reply to message #803125 ]
Mon, 28 March 2022 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

The part that caught my eye was almost every two on one against (I can't believe there were so many) our defense neither pressured the puck carrier, or eliminated the pass. They just kind of floated in the middle, resulting in our goalies being hung out to dry on a night neither of them could catch a cold. just a disaster.
Once again, something that you're coached to do from age 8 a we seem to be lacking...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803129 is a reply to message #803126 ]
Mon, 28 March 2022 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

You'd think Gaudreau was Gretzky in his prime out there by the way the Oilers just sat there and watched him. I know Gaudreau is having a hell of a year and is a good player but my god, he's not that good.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803309 is a reply to message #803077 ]
Wed, 30 March 2022 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim is currently online Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Some creative jersey names..
Johnny XXX
Covid 19
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FPETyf0VEAc0LPg?format=jpg&name=small

[Updated on: Wed, 30 March 2022 17:25]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803311 is a reply to message #803309 ]
Wed, 30 March 2022 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Imagine owning a Nieuwendyk jersey. Ew.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803313 is a reply to message #803311 ]
Wed, 30 March 2022 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 30 March 2022 17:08

Imagine owning a Nieuwendyk jersey. Ew.

The sad part is that the back of that horrible 3rd Jersey looks better than the front.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803316 is a reply to message #803309 ]
Wed, 30 March 2022 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 30 March 2022 16:26

Johnny XXX
Covid 19

Johnny group jazz is just incredible. Does the 13 indicate the size of group? Bc like… wowza girl

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803318 is a reply to message #803316 ]
Wed, 30 March 2022 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 30 March 2022 17:48

Johnny XXX
Covid 19

Johnny group jazz is just incredible. Does the 13 indicate the size of group? Bc like… wowza girl

Depends on whether the Stampede is running or not icon_wink

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #66) [message #803323 is a reply to message #803318 ]
Wed, 30 March 2022 18:27 Go to previous message

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 30 March 2022 17:50

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 30 March 2022 17:48

Johnny XXX
Covid 19

Depends on whether the Stampede is running or not icon_wink

13 seems low for that yearly cesspool of guilt and regret

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Previous Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #68)
Next Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #68)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca