This day on April 20
None

Happy Birthday To: Nesticle, goffer48, The Goat, HezzyB, Oilbleeder, thesituation, Patorious

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803186]
Mon, 28 March 2022 22:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   0%
Arizona to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803189 is a reply to message #803186 ]
Mon, 28 March 2022 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Good game. Good game. Coyotes are so bad. Love we aren't shy anymore to just blow a team up. McLeod looks so good out there. Just all over the place with that skating.

RIP Mr. Melnyk

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803196 is a reply to message #803189 ]
Mon, 28 March 2022 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 28 March 2022 22:10

Good game. Good game. Coyotes are so bad. Love we aren't shy anymore to just blow a team up. McLeod looks so good out there. Just all over the place with that skating.

RIP Mr. Melnyk

Yeah, I'm thrilled to see the team no longer calling the dogs off. I never understood that anyhow. You have a team on the ropes and you let up, there will be nights where that comes back to haunt you.

Although probably not against this Coyotes team. I have never even heard of several people on that roster. They looked completely out-manned. Never even really got control when Kane kept giving them all the powerplays.

I'd love to see Draisaitl beat out Matthews for the Richard. Gotta keep scoring!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803205 is a reply to message #803196 ]
Mon, 28 March 2022 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 28 March 2022 22:25

RIP Mr. Melnyk

Yeah, I'm thrilled to see the team no longer calling the dogs off. I never understood that anyhow. You have a team on the ropes and you let up, there will be nights where that comes back to haunt you.

Although probably not against this Coyotes team. I have never even heard of several people on that roster. They looked completely out-manned. Never even really got control when Kane kept giving them all the powerplays.

I'd love to see Draisaitl beat out Matthews for the Richard. Gotta keep scoring!

Kinda staggering contrast in our stats when we are leading now:

Tippett 19/20 with a lead 5v5:
CF - 43.65% (21st)
GF - 44.66% (25th)
xGF - 45.11% (24th)
HDCF - 47.11% (18th)

Tippett 20/21 with a lead 5v5:
CF - 43.71% (23rd)
GF - 50.63% (18th)
xGF - 47.69% (16th)
HDCF - 47.74% (19th)

Tippett first 45 games 5v5 with a lead:
CF - 46.73% (15th)
GF - 42.11% (24th)
xGF - 47.71% (19th)
HDCF - 46.38% (22nd)

Remarkably consistent mediocrity when leading. Really, we were always getting the results we deserved in those times. Bad play, bad results.

Steelcroft 23 games while leading 5v5:
CF - 53.01% (3rd)
GF - 59.46% (4th)
xGF - 55.45% (2nd)
HDCF - 59.34% (1st)

I think something changed. Will see how this looks at the end of the year when Steelcroft gets ~half a season.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 March 2022 23:53]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803221 is a reply to message #803205 ]
Tue, 29 March 2022 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 28 March 2022 23:51

Adam wrote on Mon, 28 March 2022 22:25

RIP Mr. Melnyk

Kinda staggering contrast in our stats when we are leading now:

Tippett 19/20 with a lead 5v5:
CF - 43.65% (21st)
GF - 44.66% (25th)
xGF - 45.11% (24th)
HDCF - 47.11% (18th)

Tippett 20/21 with a lead 5v5:
CF - 43.71% (23rd)
GF - 50.63% (18th)
xGF - 47.69% (16th)
HDCF - 47.74% (19th)

Tippett first 45 games 5v5 with a lead:
CF - 46.73% (15th)
GF - 42.11% (24th)
xGF - 47.71% (19th)
HDCF - 46.38% (22nd)

Remarkably consistent mediocrity when leading. Really, we were always getting the results we deserved in those times. Bad play, bad results.

Steelcroft 23 games while leading 5v5:
CF - 53.01% (3rd)
GF - 59.46% (4th)
xGF - 55.45% (2nd)
HDCF - 59.34% (1st)

I think something changed. Will see how this looks at the end of the year when Steelcroft gets ~half a season.

I would love to see someone that breaks down hockey for a living so they know exactly what to look for rather than the typical arm hockey expert, watch some Tippett Oilers games and then watch some Woodcroft games and tell people what is different. Plus it would be nice to know what all Tippett wanted them to do defensively vs what Woodcroft wants because how the team plays results wise with the same players is literally night and day.

I am not in the room but when I hear the players talk about what's changed, they never really go into detail much and when they say anything, it all seems like no brainer stuff. They mention an emphasis on attention to detail, so finishing plays, doing what you are supposed to do. Well no kidding, that's part of your job isn't it? I am happy Tippett is gone as I liked Woodcoft before but I can't see Tippett telling them to not play proper hockey. Maybe Tippett was telling them to do whatever but the stuff they talk about doing now, like skating back hard, backchecking and picking up open guys is what my not yet 12 yr old as been being taught for the last 3 yrs. Sure it's on another level because its the pros but not leaving a guy wide open in the slot or not dogging it back to your zone isn't rocket science here.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803222 is a reply to message #803221 ]
Tue, 29 March 2022 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

For our defensive zone, Tippett was doing a man on man coverage defensive system and Woodcroft is doing zone defense.
Under Tippett the first man back took the first attacker, the next player took the high guy blah blah blah. It was terrible and resulted in missed assignments (And Draisaitl always being the last man back). Now everybody has a place to go to (and center-men are right in the middle of it) It's very easy to hold guys accountable. You're either in the place you're supposed to be or not.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803224 is a reply to message #803222 ]
Tue, 29 March 2022 10:17 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 29 March 2022 09:40

For our defensive zone, Tippett was doing a man on man coverage defensive system and Woodcroft is doing zone defense.
Under Tippett the first man back took the first attacker, the next player took the high guy blah blah blah. It was terrible and resulted in missed assignments (And Draisaitl always being the last man back). Now everybody has a place to go to (and center-men are right in the middle of it) It's very easy to hold guys accountable. You're either in the place you're supposed to be or not.

Good to know. One of the things I noticed is and this is just my opinion, but guys for the most part just seem to be trying harder to get back.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803190 is a reply to message #803186 ]
Mon, 28 March 2022 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Two really good assists from the Bison King.

Doing what he does best, turning over pucks.

RIP Mr. Melnyk.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803199 is a reply to message #803190 ]
Mon, 28 March 2022 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 28 March 2022 22:12

Two really good assists from the Bison King.

Doing what he does best, turning over pucks.

RIP Mr. Melnyk.

That assist on the Drai goal! Unreal!!!!

60 goals for Draisaitl will happen

What does the death of Melnyk mean for Ottawa? Condolences to the family, but his death has an air of Wirtz.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803207 is a reply to message #803186 ]
Tue, 29 March 2022 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Puljujarvi has had someone sit down with him and tell him how to use his size.. he was a force tonight.. retrieved pucks, broke up plays, kept the puck in the offensive zone, had the cycle rolling.. that's how he needs to play..

[Updated on: Tue, 29 March 2022 00:11]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803209 is a reply to message #803207 ]
Tue, 29 March 2022 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 29 March 2022 00:09

Puljujarvi has had someone sit down with him and tell him how to use his size.. he was a force tonight.. retrieved pucks, broke up plays, kept the puck in the offensive zone, had the cycle rolling.. that's how he needs to play..

I have to see him do it against a good team before I believe it. I want to believe.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67) [message #803210 is a reply to message #803209 ]
Tue, 29 March 2022 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 29 March 2022 00:15

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 29 March 2022 00:09

I have to see him do it against a good team before I believe it. I want to believe.

Yeah, he seems to get engaged for a game or two then loses focus and defaults back to old habits.. which unfortunately is like a lot of the team. These habits need to be broken.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:GDT: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Next Topic:Pregame: Arizona @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca