F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Kane officially signsPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Kane officially signs [message #798634 is a reply to message #798449 ]
Sat, 29 January 2022 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHL Oilers  is currently offline WHL Oilers

No Cups

We will see if this jagoff lasts the year. That being said, a rehabilitated Kane would work well on the McDavid line. There would be fewer players taking liberties with Connor that's for sure. He would be like a 40 point Semenko.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Kane officially signs [message #798681 is a reply to message #798449 ]
Sat, 29 January 2022 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Stolen from Hf but had to share

https://i.imgur.com/qZoxNFc_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kane officially signs [message #801651 is a reply to message #798449 ]
Sun, 13 March 2022 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

What's everyone's thoughts on Kane? Personally, I'd love to keep him, 2 year deal around $3M per, see what he does with a full season here but can't with the current cap numbers.. do you move one of Foegel/Kassian or another to keep him?

Re: Kane officially signs [message #801653 is a reply to message #801651 ]
Sun, 13 March 2022 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Sun, 13 March 2022 10:33

What's everyone's thoughts on Kane? Personally, I'd love to keep him, 2 year deal around $3M per, see what he does with a full season here but can't with the current cap numbers.. do you move one of Foegel/Kassian or another to keep him?

Hard to say what his number would be, could be a million higher than that, and you probably lose one of JP and Yams.

Re: Kane officially signs [message #801655 is a reply to message #801653 ]
Sun, 13 March 2022 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 13 March 2022 12:26

NCREDiBLE wrote on Sun, 13 March 2022 10:33

Hard to say what his number would be, could be a million higher than that, and you probably lose one of JP and Yams.

I think a lot of it depends on what they do with Barrie this offseason. Cap management is absolutely terrible with the oilers.

That Nurse contract is going to cost hamper this team.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Kane officially signs [message #801658 is a reply to message #801655 ]
Sun, 13 March 2022 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 13 March 2022 12:11

I think a lot of it depends on what they do with Barrie this offseason. Cap management is absolutely terrible with the oilers.

That Nurse contract is going to cost hamper this team.

They badly need a guy like Kane, skill and nasty.
Yeah Nurse looks like his contract will turn out to be about $2M over value.
I think Kane likes it here, if they make the playoffs the chances are higher he stays.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Kane officially signs [message #801659 is a reply to message #798449 ]
Sun, 13 March 2022 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

Nurse was a beast when he got that contract, I absolutely agree he's overpaid by about 2 mill.
I really hope Holland is smart with the limited cash we will have this offseason..

Off the books:
Turris $1.65
Archibald $1.5 (I'd take him back at a cheaper cost)
Malone 750k (I think he's back one last year, cheap)
Benson 750k (would think he's brought back cheap)
Russell $1.25
Legesson 725k
Koskinen $4.5 (can't see him returning with the amount the hate he gets here)

That leaves around 8M left if bring back Malone, Benson & Lagesson at similar deals around 800k

Now we have to sign Jesse & Yamamoto and hope to keep Kane.

Yamamoto, I cant see being the expensive one 1.5M per 2 year?
Pulujarvi, 3M per 2/3 year?
Kane 3M, 1 year? I think he is looking for that last big payday but it's not coming after this year.

Ugh, looking at these numbers and having not much left and still needing a shut down d man and a goalie.. somebody has to go.

Smith to Arizona with a prospect for futures..

I try and move Shore's 800k off the books for a low pick, teams better without him.

Do you move out Kassian? He's looking good in the small size since returning but has been invisible since that sharks playoff run and constantly hurt.

I wouldn't have done the Bear for Foegele trade at all

1 more year until some buy out money comes back.. Lord help us.

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2022 16:10]

Re: Kane officially signs [message #801661 is a reply to message #801659 ]
Sun, 13 March 2022 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

NCREDiBLE wrote on Sun, 13 March 2022 16:04

Nurse was a beast when he got that contract, I absolutely agree he's overpaid by about 2 mill.
I really hope Holland is smart with the limited cash we will have this offseason..

Off the books:
Turris $1.65
Archibald $1.5 (I'd take him back at a cheaper cost)
Malone 750k (I think he's back one last year, cheap)
Benson 750k (would think he's brought back cheap)
Russell $1.25
Legesson 725k
Koskinen $4.5 (can't see him returning with the amount the hate he gets here)

That leaves around 8M left if bring back Malone, Benson & Lagesson at similar deals around 800k

Now we have to sign Jesse & Yamamoto and hope to keep Kane.

Yamamoto, I cant see being the expensive one 1.5M per 2 year?
Pulujarvi, 3M per 2/3 year?
Kane 3M, 1 year? I think he is looking for that last big payday but it's not coming after this year.

Ugh, looking at these numbers and having not much left and still needing a shut down d man and a goalie.. somebody has to go.

Smith to Arizona with a prospect for futures..

I try and move Shore's 800k off the books for a low pick, teams better without him.

Do you move out Kassian? He's looking good in the small size since returning but has been invisible since that sharks playoff run and constantly hurt.

I wouldn't have done the Bear for Foegele trade at all

1 more year until some buy out money comes back.. Lord help us.

And that buyout money is just going straight into Bouchard’s bank account.

I like Foegs, but a cost controlled RHD that could literally play all situations and on whatever pairing you need... ya, I miss Bear. He likely could have got a pretty decent contract here if not for Tippett.

Also, I think Yam will be getting a good bump. Especially having practically held out this year, I can’t see him taking much discount.

Which brings me back to Nurse. Sure, I get the selfishness of wanting and getting a higher amount of money but in doing that, and taking an inflated number, you really hinder your GM in making improvements to your team.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Kane officially signs [message #801678 is a reply to message #801661 ]
Mon, 14 March 2022 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt is currently online Dragon_Matt

No Cups

You convince Keith he needs to spend WAY more time with his son and that retirement is his best option. He wouldn't want to hurt his back again and not be able to play catch after all.
Mike Smith returning to the desert for his final days in the show, it's a heartwarming story. And everyone knows that the hotter weather is better on aging joints. He may be able to extend his playing career if he lives down there!

Re: Kane officially signs [message #801688 is a reply to message #801661 ]
Mon, 14 March 2022 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 13 March 2022 18:32

Which brings me back to Nurse. Sure, I get the selfishness of wanting and getting a higher amount of money but in doing that, and taking an inflated number, you really hinder your GM in making improvements to your team.

A really good GM would act like Belichek and get buy-in from players, convincing them that we're going to build a championship team here and that they benefit from leaving a little money on the table. Tampa Bay did that with both Stamkos and Hedman ahead of their first Cup. They gave them a strong pitch as to why they should re-sign for less than top dollar and both not only agreed to do that, they did so without ever even testing the market.

The Oilers management are so low confidence that they don't want to promise anyone championships. Not the fans, not the players, maybe not even the owner. They always try to win people over with the top dollar, not realizing that there's more to it than that, and that if you don't at least project that you've got a lot more to offer than money, then people will pick somewhere else, even if it means leaving money on the table.

I know that the management group thinks it's because of the weather, or the fans, or even the media, but mostly players want to win, and so they go to teams that project some level of belief that it's going to happen there.

I don't blame Nurse at all for taking the money. I blame management for not convincing him he didn't need to take it all. I mean, they still had another year to make that case too...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Kane officially signs [message #801693 is a reply to message #801688 ]
Mon, 14 March 2022 14:08 Go to previous message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 14 March 2022 13:11

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 13 March 2022 18:32

A really good GM would act like Belichek and get buy-in from players, convincing them that we're going to build a championship team here and that they benefit from leaving a little money on the table. Tampa Bay did that with both Stamkos and Hedman ahead of their first Cup. They gave them a strong pitch as to why they should re-sign for less than top dollar and both not only agreed to do that, they did so without ever even testing the market.

The Oilers management are so low confidence that they don't want to promise anyone championships. Not the fans, not the players, maybe not even the owner. They always try to win people over with the top dollar, not realizing that there's more to it than that, and that if you don't at least project that you've got a lot more to offer than money, then people will pick somewhere else, even if it means leaving money on the table.

I know that the management group thinks it's because of the weather, or the fans, or even the media, but mostly players want to win, and so they go to teams that project some level of belief that it's going to happen there.

I don't blame Nurse at all for taking the money. I blame management for not convincing him he didn't need to take it all. I mean, they still had another year to make that case too...

To be fair, the Oilers' management SHOULD have low confidence - they know they are crap, but don't care as long as the $'s keep rolling in for their personal retirement funds.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3]  
Previous Topic:Review: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #59)
Next Topic:GDT: Tampa Bay @ Edmonton (Game #59)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca