This day on April 17
None

Happy Birthday To: blackgold, Doug, M00se, taisuke, oilfan2523, OilFans, EDM_oilfan6690, Darcy_183, tgdoctor

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801342 is a reply to message #801338 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 11:29

Stauffer saying he thinks Nuge and JP are out another 3 weeks. That could be another 9 games at least.

That's after the deadline.
Then they'll be ready to play, but extremely rusty.. likely only 70% to 85%
Time to bring up some farmhands at forward, get a taste, nothing to lose.. might preserve a chance to get in the playoffs.. the crew we have up right now won't get it done.
Maybe even give Sammy tryout 2.0

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801346 is a reply to message #801342 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 13:42

Stauffer saying he thinks Nuge and JP are out another 3 weeks. That could be another 9 games at least.

Time to bring up some farmhands at forward, get a taste, nothing to lose.. might preserve a chance to get in the playoffs.. the crew we have up right now won't get it done.

So who would you call up? I guess Holloway but he's only played 20 games in a year so is he ready? Maybe.

The other guy is Marody but for me, it's either Marody or Benson as I see them as similar. Both are very good AHL players who's game is offence but lack some foot speed so they are questionable if they can do anything in the NHL. I guess the difference is Marody is a center. Benson has played 29 games and still not really producing much and if you look at his icetime on his game logs, I don't think it's changed much since Woodcroft took over and Woody was the guy who coached him when he turned pro. So if you can't get icetime from the coach that should know what you can do really well, that probably isn't a good sign. So maybe swapping Marody for Benson might be time.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801348 is a reply to message #801346 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 14:07

So who would you call up? I guess Holloway but he's only played 20 games in a year so is he ready? Maybe.

The other guy is Marody but for me, it's either Marody or Benson as I see them as similar. Both are very good AHL players who's game is offence but lack some foot speed so they are questionable if they can do anything in the NHL. I guess the difference is Marody is a center. Benson has played 29 games and still not really producing much and if you look at his icetime on his game logs, I don't think it's changed much since Woodcroft took over and Woody was the guy who coached him when he turned pro. So if you can't get icetime from the coach that should know what you can do really well, that probably isn't a good sign. So maybe swapping Marody for Benson might be time.

Marody, Griffith and Holloway are the ones I'd look at. Griffith played well and got a point in his only shot so far.

I think it's actually funny that the Oilers looked at the farm team, where regular observers said that Holloway was generating chances that Malone and Sceviour were unable to finish on, and we decided the guys we needed back at the NHL level to replace Nuge and Puljujarvi were the two plugs.

Holloway may not be ready. But we know what Brad Malone is, and he's not going to add much. I would play Sceviour over Shore, but that's faint praise. We have three options who've been able to show some success and who have some hope of bringing offence up with them. I'm sick of watching the Oilers bring up guys who they just hope can not get scored on and maybe land a hit or two.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801353 is a reply to message #801348 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 15:25

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 14:07

Marody, Griffith and Holloway are the ones I'd look at. Griffith played well and got a point in his only shot so far.

I think it's actually funny that the Oilers looked at the farm team, where regular observers said that Holloway was generating chances that Malone and Sceviour were unable to finish on, and we decided the guys we needed back at the NHL level to replace Nuge and Puljujarvi were the two plugs.

Holloway may not be ready. But we know what Brad Malone is, and he's not going to add much. I would play Sceviour over Shore, but that's faint praise. We have three options who've been able to show some success and who have some hope of bringing offence up with them. I'm sick of watching the Oilers bring up guys who they just hope can not get scored on and maybe land a hit or two.

My only concern about Holloway was just the lack of games. 1 yr off is a long time but if it looks like he's up to speed conditioning wise, why not give him a look. Sometimes just having a super fired up young guy can give the rest of the team a boost.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801354 is a reply to message #801346 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 13:07

Holloway for sure.. at least he's a scoring threat.. maybe Griffiths as well.. I heard he can skate, and is relatively tenacious.. which this team needs by the truckload.
And Sammy on the backend.. lets see what we got there.
The only forward on the team other than LD, McD, and Hyman that you can even remotely call tenacious is Kane.. and he isn't even a product of the organization.. bad player evaluation for this franchise continues to haunt it.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801356 is a reply to message #801354 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 16:07

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 13:07

Holloway for sure.. at least he's a scoring threat.. maybe Griffiths as well.. I heard he can skate, and is relatively tenacious.. which this team needs by the truckload.
And Sammy on the backend.. lets see what we got there.
The only forward on the team other than LD, McD, and Hyman that you can even remotely call tenacious is Kane.. and he isn't even a product of the organization.. bad player evaluation for this franchise continues to haunt it.

I agree. I think they need to get more guys that can skate and get in on the forecheck.

If they are bringing Marody and Holloway up, I would send Benson down for sure for the reasons I said above. If you bringing up Griffin as well, make a decision between Shore, Malone and Scevious as too which one of the 3 brings it the most. To me they are similar players. Limited offensively, meh defensively. I think Malone is the biggest and most physical of the 3. I think all 3 can play from center or wing. So pick the guy that is the hungriest.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801359 is a reply to message #801356 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 15:19

... If you bringing up Griffin as well, make a decision between Shore, Malone and Scevious as too which one of the 3 brings it the most. To me they are similar players. Limited offensively, meh defensively. I think Malone is the biggest and most physical of the 3. I think all 3 can play from center or wing. So pick the guy that is the hungriest.

I think that Severus guy might work out.. heard he's an absolute wizard with the stick..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/Ootp076.jpg

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801362 is a reply to message #801359 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 16:26

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 15:19

... If you bringing up Griffin as well, make a decision between Shore, Malone and Scevious as too which one of the 3 brings it the most. To me they are similar players. Limited offensively, meh defensively. I think Malone is the biggest and most physical of the 3. I think all 3 can play from center or wing. So pick the guy that is the hungriest.

I think that Severus guy might work out.. heard he's an absolute wizard with the stick..

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/Ootp076.jpg

Till he is forced to kill his bestest of friends for the greater good...

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801363 is a reply to message #801362 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 17:55

..heard he's poison in the room though..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801369 is a reply to message #801363 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 19:07

A real snake, that one

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801371 is a reply to message #801369 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 19:31

A real snake, that one

*..rumour is he's banging the goaltender's wife..

(*.. how come if there's ever a rumour that a guy is involved with some teammates wife.. its always the goaltenders? )

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801372 is a reply to message #801371 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 20:36

A real snake, that one

(*.. how come if there's ever a rumour that a guy is involved with some teammates wife.. its always the goaltenders? )

Well I mean being an Oilers goaltender you know he can’t stop anything *buhdumtss*

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801376 is a reply to message #801371 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

A real snake, that one

Not always the goalie!

Coffey was rumoured to be sleeping with Sather's wife as one of the reasons things soured here (not true - it was a contract negotiation that soured when Pocklington called Coffey named in the media. Crazy thing is that the delta in the negotiating positions was something like $40K per year at that point.)

Lindros was rumoured to have slept with Rod Brind'Amour's wife leading to a dressing room dust-up and Brind'Amour's trade away from Philly (I've seen nothing to suggest this is true).

Gary Leeman is rumoured to have been sleeping with Al Iafrate's wife. I've heard from multiple places that this one actually is true.

Brendan Shanahan is married to Craig Janney's ex-wife and there are rumours that they were first hooking up while she was married to Janney and they were both playing in St. Louis.

I'll grant you, there's definitely some goalie rumours too - Ted Nolan with Hasek's wife, Comrie with Salo's wife - although I've seen both of those firmly debunked. Comrie himself commented on the Salo story and said it's ridiculous and didn't happen. Said that Salo came to his going away party with the Oilers as part of his evidence that that was all fiction.

I think most of the time this stuff is just stupid rumours. Something happens behind the scenes and people come up with the most salacious rumours possible. How many pregnant women was Pronger supposed to have left behind in Edmonton? Although it's definitely happened a few times. Not just in hockey too...the song Layla suddenly comes to mind...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801377 is a reply to message #801376 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 22:19

A real snake, that one

Not always the goalie!

Coffey was rumoured to be sleeping with Sather's wife as one of the reasons things soured here (not true - it was a contract negotiation that soured when Pocklington called Coffey named in the media. Crazy thing is that the delta in the negotiating positions was something like $40K per year at that point.)

Lindros was rumoured to have slept with Rod Brind'Amour's wife leading to a dressing room dust-up and Brind'Amour's trade away from Philly (I've seen nothing to suggest this is true).

Gary Leeman is rumoured to have been sleeping with Al Iafrate's wife. I've heard from multiple places that this one actually is true.

Brendan Shanahan is married to Craig Janney's ex-wife and there are rumours that they were first hooking up while she was married to Janney and they were both playing in St. Louis.

I'll grant you, there's definitely some goalie rumours too - Ted Nolan with Hasek's wife, Comrie with Salo's wife - although I've seen both of those firmly debunked. Comrie himself commented on the Salo story and said it's ridiculous and didn't happen. Said that Salo came to his going away party with the Oilers as part of his evidence that that was all fiction.

I think most of the time this stuff is just stupid rumours. Something happens behind the scenes and people come up with the most salacious rumours possible. How many pregnant women was Pronger supposed to have left behind in Edmonton? Although it's definitely happened a few times. Not just in hockey too...the song Layla suddenly comes to mind...

In Vancouver it was Jeff Brown and Kirk McLeans wife.. but the one I heard about Salo's wife was with Jason Arnott.. I dispelled that one though when I went saw Salo and his wife at a restaurant once.. hmm.. seemed unlikely :) .. I'm sure there was another one about a goalie's wife as well.. can't remember.. after about 3 rumours I began to think its some kind of urban myth about goalie wives..

I could see Iafrate's wife hooking up with someone other than Iarate though.. not exactly a looker was Al, especially him sporting the "skillet"

Layla.. when asked when asked who was the love of her life, she picked George..
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkKjPQF8wtmaGmhxNjIBvKkVfucYoTPGZMFqyxVZNfztNkkRh7ruXaoKKuPAIS2Ae9DHQ&usqp=CAU

[Updated on: Tue, 08 March 2022 23:59]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801378 is a reply to message #801377 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 23:38

but the one I heard about Salo's wife was with Jason Arnott..

This seems really unlikely since Arnott was already gone (traded in January 1998) before Salo ever joined the Oilers (March 1999).

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801379 is a reply to message #801378 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

benv wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 22:54

This seems really unlikely since Arnott was already gone (traded in January 1998) before Salo ever joined the Oilers (March 1999).

.. who was the goalie when Arnott was there? .. must've been his wife :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801381 is a reply to message #801379 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Sometimes its the goalie himself doing the cheating…

Martin Brodeur with the weirdest of them all.

Quote:

Brodeur married Melanie Dubois (a native of Saint-Liboire, Quebec) in August 1995 with whom he has four children:[17] Anthony, born in 1995; twin sons, William and Jeremy, born in 1996; and Anabelle Antoinette, 2002. Melanie filed for divorce during the 2003 playoffs amid reports that Brodeur was having an affair with Genevieve Nault, the wife of Melanie's brother.[122] The incident was referred to by opposing fans during the playoffs.[123] The reports proved to be true, as he and Genevieve married in June 2008.[124] Their first child together, Maxime Philippe Brodeur, was born in November 2009.[125]

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801384 is a reply to message #801379 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 00:00

I'm 90% sure the rumor was Salo and Comrie. Maybe 74% sure.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801386 is a reply to message #801384 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 08:45

I heard the same rumor.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801397 is a reply to message #801386 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 08:46

I heard the same rumor.

Absolutely was Comrie that was the rumour:

https://www.thesportster.com/entertainment/top-15-athletes-w ho-allegedly-cheated-with-a-teammates-wife/

Quote:

It was 2003 when the rumor came out that Mike Comrie was sleeping with the wife of veteran goaltender Tommy Salo. Of course, Comrie profusely denied the rumor after he chose not to comment at first. "I should have said something right away. I didn't think it would have the legs it did. Everyone thinks it happened but it's the most ridiculous rumor. It's not true.” The signs however say otherwise.

Salo’s play in 2003 got worse and worse, and although he never took any blame for his horrid play, many thought it had a lot to do with his wife and child moving back to Sweden after a possible affair with Comrie. As for Comrie, contract negotiations with the Oilers turned sour into the 2003-04 season, many believing that the alleged affair being the reason.

I trust Comrie here over the salacious rumour rag.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801398 is a reply to message #801384 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm disappointed. I think you really should have said "I'm 89% sure the rumor was Salo and Comrie. Maybe 91% sure."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801403 is a reply to message #801398 ]
Wed, 09 March 2022 13:45 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 09 March 2022 13:12

I'm disappointed. I think you really should have said "I'm 89% sure the rumor was Salo and Comrie. Maybe 91% sure."

Oh shoot. That would have been much better

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801366 is a reply to message #801274 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Well to put a positive spin on life here in Oiler-Ville.. there's other contending teams that are getting beat by bottom feeders as well as the Oil.. the parity in the league on a single game basis is pretty close.. no 2 pts is ever a gimmee.

Tonight;
Flyers beat Vegas 2-1
NJ beats Avs 5-3
Ott leading Blues 3-1 late in 3rd
Chi clobbering Ducks 7-3 in the second
Minni beating NYR 5-2 middle of 3rd..
Winni beating TB 5-3 late 3rd

Bring up Holloway, put him up with McD..

Holloway McDavid Hyman.. LETS GO!! icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801370 is a reply to message #801366 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 20:16

Well to put a positive spin on life here in Oiler-Ville.. there's other contending teams that are getting beat by bottom feeders as well as the Oil.. the parity in the league on a single game basis is pretty close.. no 2 pts is ever a gimmee.

Tonight;
Flyers beat Vegas 2-1
NJ beats Avs 5-3

Need the Preds v Stars game to be a regulation Preds win, I think. Regulation either way, no 3 pointer.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33) [message #801375 is a reply to message #801366 ]
Tue, 08 March 2022 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 08 March 2022 20:16

Tonight;
Flyers beat Vegas 2-1
NJ beats Avs 5-3

It's a Tuesday too...would have been absolute carnage if we had Oilfans Survivor going right now.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Washington @ Edmonton (Game #58)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #33)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca