This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers Sign Brad Malone
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799485]
Thu, 10 February 2022 12:29 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

https://twitter.com/edmontonoilers/status/149185136106702848 3?s=21

Quote:

The #Oilers have signed forward Brad Malone to a one-year, two-way contract & have placed him on waivers for the purpose of assignment to the @Condors.

#LetsGoOilers 

The 32 year old center has 26 pts in 26 games with the Condors this year.

Apparently he’s suited up for the Oilers in recent past, I don’t remember him at all.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=99506

[Updated on: Thu, 10 February 2022 12:30]

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799488 is a reply to message #799485 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 12:29

Quote:

The #Oilers have signed forward Brad Malone to a one-year, two-way contract & have placed him on waivers for the purpose of assignment to the @Condors.

#LetsGoOilers 

Apparently he’s suited up for the Oilers in recent past, I don’t remember him at all.

The team has been desperate to do this for some time. I do not understand why - we have enough plugs. Could we not try something different than the low scoring grinder on the fourth line?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799489 is a reply to message #799488 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 12:47

Quote:

#LetsGoOilers 

The team has been desperate to do this for some time. I do not understand why - we have enough plugs. Could we not try something different than the low scoring grinder on the fourth line?

Having a cheaper plug replace a more expensive plug creates all cap space.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799491 is a reply to message #799489 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 12:49

Quote:

#LetsGoOilers 

If they were replacing Kassian with Malone, I’d think you might have a point. I doubt it’s Kassian though.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799492 is a reply to message #799491 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:08

Quote:

#LetsGoOilers 

If they were replacing Kassian with Malone, I’d think you might have a point. I doubt it’s Kassian though.

Heck even perennial popcorn muncher Turris provides a bit of wiggle room.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799496 is a reply to message #799492 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:10

Quote:

#LetsGoOilers 

Turris is already on the taxi squad I think.

But Kassian out 1-2 months, so I stand corrected. He does replace #44.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799500 is a reply to message #799496 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Malone is a tweener that Woodcroft would know well. Big body, physical, defensively responsible player that can play center or wing. Wont' score you much but won't cost you anything. If he plays, he would replace:

Turris - Useless who doesn't score, has zero dimension, suspect defensively.
Benson - Useless who doesn't score, has zero dimension, suspect defensively.
Perlini - Might score the odd time, doesn't do much else, suspect defensively.
Ryan - Wins face offs, doesn't score, doesn't do much else, now suspect defensively.
Shore - Plays 2 positions but doesn't score, doesn't do much else, suspect defensively.

There is the guys that make up your extra players and most if not all of your 4th line. I think they could use a guy that isn't afraid to touch someone plus another 1 or 2.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799503 is a reply to message #799500 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:35

Malone is a tweener that Woodcroft would know well. Big body, physical, defensively responsible player that can play center or wing. Wont' score you much but won't cost you anything. If he plays, he would replace:

Ryan - Wins face offs, doesn't score, doesn't do much else, now suspect defensively.
Shore - Plays 2 positions but doesn't score, doesn't do much else, suspect defensively.

There is the guys that make up your extra players and most if not all of your 4th line. I think they could use a guy that isn't afraid to touch someone plus another 1 or 2.

I would consistently play Benson, Perlini, Marody, and probably even Ryan ahead of Brad Malone.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799507 is a reply to message #799503 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:37

I would consistently play Benson, Perlini, Marody, and probably even Ryan ahead of Brad Malone.

I hope we see this. The one great thing about Woodcroft is he trusts these players. Others opinions are based solely on Tippett’s deployment. With the ice time restrictions or how he used them. Benson, Marody got very little opportunity or leash, while veterans looked worse and never suffered the consequences.

I expect to see some jump from the bottom six. Everyone is going to be battling for a job and if they want to coast it’ll be in Bakersfield.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799509 is a reply to message #799507 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:00

I hope we see this. The one great thing about Woodcroft is he trusts these players. Others opinions are based solely on Tippett’s deployment. With the ice time restrictions or how he used them. Benson, Marody got very little opportunity or leash, while veterans looked worse and never suffered the consequences.

I expect to see some jump from the bottom six. Everyone is going to be battling for a job and if they want to coast it’ll be in Bakersfield.

I really miss seeing some depth players playing like they feel they belong on the team and have a chance to be a part of the success. Not guys that look like they only exist for McDrai to catch their breath.

No clue if seeing that is possible again with these guys, but would be nice to see.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799514 is a reply to message #799503 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am totally willing to listen. Tell me what exactly playing those guys will do that's different from what they do now?

Right now their 4th line has a bunch of guys who are either a bit undersized or very undersized like Ryan is. They rarely score. They aren't tough or hard to play against. They don't generate a lot of even scoring chances. They don't forecheck much if at all. They don't hit or get in anyone's face. They are all suspect defensively and for the few that are on the PK, they have been lousy for about 2 months now. So what exactly do they do?

I know what's going to come so I will respond ahead of time. Benson doesn't creates offense because he has 1 assist in 19 games and 13 shots. That's pathetic. He's not physical because 32 hits in 19 games, that's barely 1.5 hits a game. That's not a physical player.

The whole BS idea of you just fill up your team with offensive guys and they will have the puck all the time is the biggest crock. You have to have SOME guys who hit, defend and make life miserable for the other team. That isn't a neanderthal idea. Go look at the make up of some of the better teams in the league.
Vegas
Carrier - big body, doesn't score, hits lots
Kolesar - big body, doesn't score, hits lots.
Roy- Big body, scores some. Not afraid to hit.
Howden - drafted as a skilled guy. Has size, not afraid to hit.
There is 4 out of the 6 bottom 6 guys on their lines that have size and either are big hitters or have an edge. Doesn't even go into the defense.

Tampa:
Maroon - big, mean, hits. Got resigned.
Joseph - OK size, hits, plays dirty at times.
Perry - old, slow, mean, dirty, has physical edge. Having a good year offensively.
Bellemare - OK size, physical, plays with an edge.
Raddish - decent size, has an edge.

Not one of those guys are big scores. Perry used to be and is having a bounce back year but everyone of them has decent size, some really big, every one of them is physical, some even really tough.

So while I am not a lover of Malone ang think they need someone better, I would love to hear how a Tyler Benson or a Cooper Marody matches up against any of those guys. PLayers who make up the bottom 6 of 2 of the best teams in the league.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799516 is a reply to message #799514 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:38

I am totally willing to listen. Tell me what exactly playing those guys will do that's different from what they do now?

Right now their 4th line has a bunch of guys who are either a bit undersized or very undersized like Ryan is. They rarely score. They aren't tough or hard to play against. They don't generate a lot of even scoring chances. They don't forecheck much if at all. They don't hit or get in anyone's face. They are all suspect defensively and for the few that are on the PK, they have been lousy for about 2 months now. So what exactly do they do?

I know what's going to come so I will respond ahead of time. Benson doesn't creates offense because he has 1 assist in 19 games and 13 shots. That's pathetic. He's not physical because 32 hits in 19 games, that's barely 1.5 hits a game. That's not a physical player.

The whole BS idea of you just fill up your team with offensive guys and they will have the puck all the time is the biggest crock. You have to have SOME guys who hit, defend and make life miserable for the other team. That isn't a neanderthal idea. Go look at the make up of some of the better teams in the league.
Vegas
There is 4 out of the 6 bottom 6 guys on their lines that have size and either are big hitters or have an edge. Doesn't even go into the defense.

Tampa:
Perry - old, slow, mean, dirty, has physical edge. Having a good year offensively.

Not one of those guys are big scores. Perry used to be and is having a bounce back year but everyone of them has decent size, some really big, every one of them is physical, some even really tough.

So while I am not a lover of Malone ang think they need someone better, I would love to hear how a Tyler Benson or a Cooper Marody matches up against any of those guys. PLayers who make up the bottom 6 of 2 of the best teams in the league.

I mean, I'll be curious to see if those guys perform better under Woodcroft. He's familiar with them, and certainly deployed them differently in Bakersfield. Apparently Benson was used on the PK there, so certainly Woodcroft trusted him defensively in a way that Tippett didn't. FWIW, Benson's offensive game hasn't been what I expected, but he does seem to agitate and be a bit of a pest more than I anticipated.

Same with Marody - he was a go-to guy for Woodcroft in Bakersfield. I'm surprised it is Malone with the call-up instead of Marody, but I'm hopeful we might see Benson/McLeod/Marody reunited in the NHL to see if Woodcroft can recapture that magic of that AHL's top line.

I anticipate Lagesson may have a longer leash as well.

I don't know if certain guys (Benson, Lagesson, Marody, Skinner) will find more success or not under Woodcroft, but I'm curious to find out. I'm curious to see how he will deploy them and how that differs from Tippett. If Smith, Russell, Shore, Turris, find themselves pushed aside to see what these other younger players bring, I don't think there's any big loss, and potentially there might be some untapped gain.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799517 is a reply to message #799514 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Vegas

Tampa:

They are better players. Play your best players always and your team will do better.

The idea that you need a fourth line to do fourth line things is an archaic thing, and honestly, it's kind of stupid.

The real reason for having a fourth line that's less good is that you don't have 4 lines worth of great players, but over time old hockey people have mythologized this and built this idea that you need someone to "set a tone" or that fourth liners need to kill penalties, or be tough, or lay hits.

I imagine this probably began with people over-praising the contributions of the guys at the bottom of the roster because I mean, you want everyone to feel important, but now it's built in to this role player myth, which unfortunately only crappy management believes any more.

Why does Tampa play Maroon? It's not because he's gritty, it's because he's the best option they have at that point in the lineup. The guy has always been able to chip in points, and he's better than any other options. If they could add a skilled player who scores more, I am pretty confident they wouldn't have this angst about what happens if he has a hit a game less than Maroon...

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799528 is a reply to message #799517 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 14:52

Vegas

Tampa:

Why does Tampa play Maroon? It's not because he's gritty, it's because he's the best option they have at that point in the lineup. The guy has always been able to chip in points, and he's better than any other options. If they could add a skilled player who scores more, I am pretty confident they wouldn't have this angst about what happens if he has a hit a game less than Maroon...

They are playing him only because he's "the best option they have" and if they had a better, more skilled player that scores more, you are confident they wouldn't play him! What are you talking about?? Go look up capfirendly. It's a pretty widely used NHL contract site.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/patrick-maroon

There you go, I did you a solid, went right to Maroons page. He's coming off a 2 yr deal where they gave him a NTC and a M-NTC clause the second. They are so DYING to find a replacement for Maroon for add another skilled player that scores more, 2 DAYS AGO, they resigned him to another 2 year deal with A RAISE and have a M-NTC for both years. Boy, that sure sounds like a team who's only playing a guy because they have no choice.

If a Maroon type of guy is so archaic and unneeded, then explain to me why the hell Tampa the current 2 time in a row CUP CHAMPS, would both to sign that guy mid season, AND, give him a raise, AND give him 2 years AND any kind of trade protection. If he has zero value since you are all knowing, explain that to me because if he is just a place holder for better players like you literally said, any remotely intelligent GM wouldn't resign him mid season, they would ride it out and let him go away and replace him with someone better. It's freaking Tampa, not like the majority of the players in the NHL wouldn't love to play there.

Let me guess, the Tampa Bay GM, the guy in charge of creating the back to back cup champs and who's a pretty damn good team this year as well, is an idiot. That's your standard answer. All GM's are dumb and Adam is smart.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799529 is a reply to message #799528 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:51

Vegas

Tampa:

They are playing him only because he's "the best option they have" and if they had a better, more skilled player that scores more, you are confident they wouldn't play him! What are you talking about?? Go look up capfirendly. It's a pretty widely used NHL contract site.

There you go, I did you a solid, went right to Maroons page. He's coming off a 2 yr deal where they gave him a NTC and a M-NTC clause the second. They are so DYING to find a replacement for Maroon for add another skilled player that scores more, 2 DAYS AGO, they resigned him to another 2 year deal with A RAISE and have a M-NTC for both years. Boy, that sure sounds like a team who's only playing a guy because they have no choice.

If a Maroon type of guy is so archaic and unneeded, then explain to me why the hell Tampa the current 2 time in a row CUP CHAMPS, would both to sign that guy mid season, AND, give him a raise, AND give him 2 years AND any kind of trade protection. If he has zero value since you are all knowing, explain that to me because if he is just a place holder for better players like you literally said, any remotely intelligent GM wouldn't resign him mid season, they would ride it out and let him go away and replace him with someone better. It's freaking Tampa, not like the majority of the players in the NHL wouldn't love to play there.

Let me guess, the Tampa Bay GM, the guy in charge of creating the back to back cup champs and who's a pretty damn good team this year as well, is an idiot. That's your standard answer. All GM's are dumb and Adam is smart.

On this note, they probably shouldn’t have given him a two year deal. We’ve seen similar mistakes elsewhere and it’s understandable they have some loyalty to the player, but we all know the drop off is steep for that player type

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799532 is a reply to message #799529 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:59

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:51

Vegas

Tampa:

On this note, they probably shouldn’t have given him a two year deal. We’ve seen similar mistakes elsewhere and it’s understandable they have some loyalty to the player, but we all know the drop off is steep for that player type

I personally wouldn't have given Maroon a 2 year deal either because he wasn't the fastest guy when he was an Oiler and he will be 34 in April so you usually don't get faster as you age. I would have waited until free agency to see what was out there but clearly they see value in the guy which completely goes against Adam's comment that he's only playing because they don't have a better option and he's a place holder for someone better. That's simply not true according to Tampa's GM because you don't resign him now, you sure don't give him a raise, you don't give him a mutli year deal and you sure as hell don't give him any kind of trade protection if he is some guy the team is just dying to get rid of ASAP for someone better that doesn't have his skill set which is primarily a physical tough guy that has some hands. Adam is flat out wrong.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799536 is a reply to message #799532 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:11

I personally wouldn't have given Maroon a 2 year deal either because he wasn't the fastest guy when he was an Oiler and he will be 34 in April so you usually don't get faster as you age. I would have waited until free agency to see what was out there but clearly they see value in the guy which completely goes against Adam's comment that he's only playing because they don't have a better option and he's a place holder for someone better. That's simply not true according to Tampa's GM because you don't resign him now, you sure don't give him a raise, you don't give him a mutli year deal and you sure as hell don't give him any kind of trade protection if he is some guy the team is just dying to get rid of ASAP. Adam is flat out wrong.

SIGH - you should know by now, I'm never wrong.

I also didn't say that they are dying to get rid of him - just that if they have someone better for that spot, he won't be playing there.

The good teams play their best players. They don't keep someone off the roster because "he really needs to be a top-6 guy to be successful" or "we really need a penalty kill specialist who does zilch at even strength on our fourth line" or "we need some toughness in our lineup - even though that player is a black hole for any other contribution".

Maroon plays because he deserves to play, not because the Lightning need a role player to provide a spark. He's scored some big goals for them too the last couple years.

I agree with CrudeRemarks though - two years and no-move is probably an error on the part of the Lightning, although he's dirt cheap, so they may have given that so that they could save some actual dollars.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799540 is a reply to message #799536 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:15

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:11

I personally wouldn't have given Maroon a 2 year deal either because he wasn't the fastest guy when he was an Oiler and he will be 34 in April so you usually don't get faster as you age. I would have waited until free agency to see what was out there but clearly they see value in the guy which completely goes against Adam's comment that he's only playing because they don't have a better option and he's a place holder for someone better. That's simply not true according to Tampa's GM because you don't resign him now, you sure don't give him a raise, you don't give him a mutli year deal and you sure as hell don't give him any kind of trade protection if he is some guy the team is just dying to get rid of ASAP. Adam is flat out wrong.

SIGH - you should know by now, I'm never wrong.

I also didn't say that they are dying to get rid of him - just that if they have someone better for that spot, he won't be playing there.

The good teams play their best players. They don't keep someone off the roster because "he really needs to be a top-6 guy to be successful" or "we really need a penalty kill specialist who does zilch at even strength on our fourth line" or "we need some toughness in our lineup - even though that player is a black hole for any other contribution".

Maroon plays because he deserves to play, not because the Lightning need a role player to provide a spark. He's scored some big goals for them too the last couple years.

I agree with CrudeRemarks though - two years and no-move is probably an error on the part of the Lightning, although he's dirt cheap, so they may have given that so that they could save some actual dollars.

This might come as a shock to you both, but I believe you are both partially right. In todays game you have the salary cap, so you must fill bottom lines with cheaper options. Guy scores 20 goals, he is in for a raise and likely no longer playing bottom six. Kassian on the oilers, throws off your team balance with to much money in bottom six.
The other side of the coin, is pre cap era, teams like the Rangers loaded up with every top end guy they could, all the offensive talent they could get. How many cups did they win again….1 when they went with dedicated 3 and 4 th line roles.

So there is a balance required, scoring, grit, will, goaltending, and a team mentality.
In my opinion, we have 2 outta 5. We need a Tikanen, or Fleury type player, a goaltender that scares the opposition, and everyone on the team to care.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799519 is a reply to message #799514 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:38

Vegas

Tampa:

I'm not going to try to paint Benson as some kind of bruiser, but to say that he's not physical or he doesn't hit, just isn't true. From what I've seen he's been pretty consistent in being willing to mix things up and he definitely hits. His biggest problem is that he only gets 8 min a night.

NHL hit stats aren't perfect by any means, but, for what it's worth, he hits at a higher rate than just about everyone you listed. Carrier and Kolesar, guys that you say "hit lots" are at 12.33 and 12.03 hits/60 respectively. Benson is at 11.71. He hits at literally triple the rate of Nicholas Roy, a guy that you say is "not afraid to hit", but Benson is apparently?

https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?report=realtime&report Type=season&seasonFrom=20212022&seasonTo=20212022&am p;gameType=2&position=F&playerPlayedFor=franchise.25 &filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=hitsPer60&page=0& amp;pageSize=50

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799530 is a reply to message #799519 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:05

Vegas

Tampa:

I'm not going to try to paint Benson as some kind of bruiser, but to say that he's not physical or he doesn't hit, just isn't true. From what I've seen he's been pretty consistent in being willing to mix things up and he definitely hits. His biggest problem is that he only gets 8 min a night.

NHL hit stats aren't perfect by any means, but, for what it's worth, he hits at a higher rate than just about everyone you listed. Carrier and Kolesar, guys that you say "hit lots" are at 12.33 and 12.03 hits/60 respectively. Benson is at 11.71. He hits at literally triple the rate of Nicholas Roy, a guy that you say is "not afraid to hit", but Benson is apparently?

https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?report=realtime&report Type=season&seasonFrom=20212022&seasonTo=20212022&am p;am p;gameType=2&position=F&playerPlayedFor=franchise.25 &filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=hitsPer60&page=0& amp; amp;pageSize=50

Benson doesn't have a dimension. I have asked probably a dozen times every time I see someone go on a rant about he needs to play. What does he do other than give other players a breather. Does a player not at some point need to produce something that would show up on a score sheet? He doesn't score, rarely shoots, he's good for just over a hit a game. Awesome. So that means he's a good NHLer? Other than being from Edmonton which would make it a cool story, explain to me what he does?

Woodcroft is now the coach. He worked with Benson since he became a pro. So if there is anyone that know what he can do, it's Woodcroft. I would assume Woodcrofts goal is to be the Oilers coach after this season so I would assume he wants to win as many games as he can and will want to play the players he thinks give him the best chance to win. So I guess we will see if Woodcroft plays Benson because he thinks he's an NHLer. If he does and Benson does great, I will gladly admit I was wrong about Benson just like I did with JP.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799534 is a reply to message #799530 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 16:06

Goose wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:05

Vegas

Tampa:

https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?report=realtime&report Type=season&seasonFrom=20212022&seasonTo=20212022&am p;am p;am p;gameType=2&position=F&playerPlayedFor=franchise.25 &filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=hitsPer60&page=0& amp; amp; amp;pageSize=50

Benson doesn't have a dimension. I have asked probably a dozen times every time I see someone go on a rant about he needs to play. What does he do other than give other players a breather. Does a player not at some point need to produce something that would show up on a score sheet? He doesn't score, rarely shoots, he's good for just over a hit a game. Awesome. So that means he's a good NHLer? Other than being from Edmonton which would make it a cool story, explain to me what he does?

Woodcroft is now the coach. He worked with Benson since he became a pro. So if there is anyone that know what he can do, it's Woodcroft. I would assume Woodcrofts goal is to be the Oilers coach after this season so I would assume he wants to win as many games as he can and will want to play the players he thinks give him the best chance to win. So I guess we will see if Woodcroft plays Benson because he thinks he's an NHLer. If he does and Benson does great, I will gladly admit I was wrong about Benson just like I did with JP.

Benson is an excellent passer who so far has play a ridiculously small number of minutes and those were almost exclusively with plugs who couldn't put a puck in the ocean off the side of a BC Ferry. in the middle of its route.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799547 is a reply to message #799530 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 15:06

I've said it before, he's probably the best forward passer on the team outside of McDavid/Drai/RNH. I think he's more physical than you give him credit for. You can keep saying that he's just over a hit a game and ignore the context that he only plays 8 min a night. He has the 3rd most hits/60 of anyone on the team.

And yes, of course you would like to see him produce more. But he's 23 and just getting started in the NHL. We know what the ceiling is for Turris/Shore/etc. Benson has done everything you could ask of a guy at the AHL. If the Oilers were a Cup contending team with a bottom 6 that wasn't bleeding goals on a nightly basis, then I could see an argument for not playing him if he's not producing. But honestly, how much worse do you think the Oilers are with Benson in the lineup over Turris. Don't you think it would make sense to give the guy a run of games to see what he can do and let him play 10-12min a night? He's averaging 3-4 shifts per period. You can't honestly think that playing for :45 and then sitting for 6min is an ideal situation.

The issue that I have with not playing Benson isn't that I think he's a superstar in the making. It's that I think that there's a very real possibility that he could be a legit NHL forward and has upside, and the Oilers are never going to find out if that's true or not based on his deployment and who they're playing in front of him.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799548 is a reply to message #799547 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 18:10

I've said it before, he's probably the best forward passer on the team outside of McDavid/Drai/RNH. I think he's more physical than you give him credit for. You can keep saying that he's just over a hit a game and ignore the context that he only plays 8 min a night. He has the 3rd most hits/60 of anyone on the team.

And yes, of course you would like to see him produce more. But he's 23 and just getting started in the NHL. We know what the ceiling is for Turris/Shore/etc. Benson has done everything you could ask of a guy at the AHL. If the Oilers were a Cup contending team with a bottom 6 that wasn't bleeding goals on a nightly basis, then I could see an argument for not playing him if he's not producing. But honestly, how much worse do you think the Oilers are with Benson in the lineup over Turris. Don't you think it would make sense to give the guy a run of games to see what he can do and let him play 10-12min a night? He's averaging 3-4 shifts per period. You can't honestly think that playing for :45 and then sitting for 6min is an ideal situation.

The issue that I have with not playing Benson isn't that I think he's a superstar in the making. It's that I think that there's a very real possibility that he could be a legit NHL forward and has upside, and the Oilers are never going to find out if that's true or not based on his deployment and who they're playing in front of him.

Just learned this lesson with Bouchard. What were we thinking this last summer? No one had even the slightest clue what Bouchard was capable of. Not just the fans, Holland and Tippett too. We made all kinds of decisions in the summer as if Bouch was going to be a struggling tweener this year. We're saddled with paying a 3rd pair D that can only look useful on the PP (while statistically not even helping the PP score at a higher rate vs other D) for 4.5Mx3 years now because of that. We put zero effort into figuring out what Bouchard he was capable of. Couldn't even let him make a mistake in a game against Ottawa without being shelved.

What I'm trying to say is, this organization is stupid. Yeah, that's basically it.

[Updated on: Thu, 10 February 2022 18:31]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799559 is a reply to message #799547 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

We clearly feel differently about this team.

I want the Oilers to win, period. The time for try outs was preseason and early in the year, not with 38 games left. The time for players to establish what they bring to the team was preseason and early in the year, not with 38 games left. I expected the Oilers to be in top 3 easy regardless of the roster flaws. I look at the roster today and even with the flaws, they should be in the top 3 right now in my opinion. They have a ton of key guys flat out not playing well, that's how I feel.

With Benson. Yes I understand its hard to make an impact when you don't get a lot of playing time. I get it. But that isn't an excuse. He's got a guy on his team in Perlini who plays with the same players, gets the same ice time, gets the same lack of time on special teams, even has almost play in the same amount of games. He has 4 goals, 5 pts getting next to no time, Benson has 1 freaking assist. So telling me that it's all because of a lack of opportunity or ice time is BS to me because there is a guy right on his team that Benson probably skates with daily doing it. So it can be done. Benson has not seized the opportunity.

I also so not buy that Tippett is his mean, completely stupid guy holding Benson back. Did Tippett have his flaws, hell yes he did. If he didn't, he'd still have a job today. But if Benson could fill a roll on the team, he'd be playing. If you look at the Oilers stat sheet, there are a whole bunch of pretty mediocre at best players who have all played similar amount of games which tells me that Tippett, flaws and all was looking for some guys to step up and do a job. I will try this buy, nope, try him, nope, try him, nope, back to this guy, repeat.

So as a fed up Oilers fan, I am not looking for more try outs. Try outs at this point in the season are what losing teams do for next year. I am looking for solutions. So decide on what you want/need for the bottom, then either look on your team and use that or go get it. I do not think trying guys out and hoping they fit is the answer. It's can they do it or not for me. I'm not in the mood to trying to create positions for a player who don't have the natural skill set to fill the roles they lack. Now Woodcroft should know Benson the best. He was his head coach his entire time in Bakersfield. He developed Benson. So if Woodcroft doesn't play him, then I think we have the answer and everyone should let it go.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799560 is a reply to message #799559 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 08:55

I want the Oilers to win, period. The time for try outs was preseason and early in the year, not with 38 games left. The time for players to establish what they bring to the team was preseason and early in the year, not with 38 games left. I expected the Oilers to be in top 3 easy regardless of the roster flaws. I look at the roster today and even with the flaws, they should be in the top 3 right now in my opinion. They have a ton of key guys flat out not playing well, that's how I feel.

With Benson. Yes I understand its hard to make an impact when you don't get a lot of playing time. I get it. But that isn't an excuse. He's got a guy on his team in Perlini who plays with the same players, gets the same ice time, gets the same lack of time on special teams, even has almost play in the same amount of games. He has 4 goals, 5 pts getting next to no time, Benson has 1 freaking assist. So telling me that it's all because of a lack of opportunity or ice time is BS to me because there is a guy right on his team that Benson probably skates with daily doing it. So it can be done. Benson has not seized the opportunity.

I also so not buy that Tippett is his mean, completely stupid guy holding Benson back. Did Tippett have his flaws, hell yes he did. If he didn't, he'd still have a job today. But if Benson could fill a roll on the team, he'd be playing. If you look at the Oilers stat sheet, there are a whole bunch of pretty mediocre at best players who have all played similar amount of games which tells me that Tippett, flaws and all was looking for some guys to step up and do a job. I will try this buy, nope, try him, nope, try him, nope, back to this guy, repeat.

So as a fed up Oilers fan, I am not looking for more try outs. Try outs at this point in the season are what losing teams do for next year. I am looking for solutions. So decide on what you want/need for the bottom, then either look on your team and use that or go get it. I do not think trying guys out and hoping they fit is the answer. It's can they do it or not for me. I'm not in the mood to trying to create positions for a player who don't have the natural skill set to fill the roles they lack. Now Woodcroft should know Benson the best. He was his head coach his entire time in Bakersfield. He developed Benson. So if Woodcroft doesn't play him, then I think we have the answer and everyone should let it go.

You are ignoring the experience level of Perlini and Benson - Benson is practically a rookie while Perlini is a veteran who has a history of inconsistency and lack of focus. Benson hasn't even had a chance to establish what he is yet, but his passing skill is clear whenever he is on the ice with the plumbers.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799561 is a reply to message #799560 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 09:38

You are ignoring the experience level of Perlini and Benson - Benson is practically a rookie while Perlini is a veteran who has a history of inconsistency and lack of focus. Benson hasn't even had a chance to establish what he is yet, but his passing skill is clear whenever he is on the ice with the plumbers.

He will be 24 years old in a month, he's not 19. He's in his 5th year of pro hockey. Tons of guys year after year for all kinds of teams that have played in the minors for similar amounts of time step right in and make an impact.

That's awesome he's such a great passer, when does it result in production on the ice? I bet there are tons of players in leagues all over the world who are great passer or have amazing shots but at some point doesn't it have to result in production? He's got 1 assist in 19 games. If Benson was a guy the Oilers plucked off waivers when teams were finalizing their rosters to start the season, I highly doubt fans would be dying to have him in the line up or creating excuses why he hasn't produced anything yet. They'd be saying he's a waste of a roster spot and time to get someone else. But because he's a draft pick and an Edmonton guy, all of a sudden the narrative changes.

I got nothing against the guy. I want every single draft pick to work out because if they do, its better for the Oilers. But at some point the excuses have to stop and he has to do something regardless of ice time. IF/when he gets on the ice, he needs to make an impact to garner more ice time. Like I said, with his old AHL coach and guy that helped develop him as the boss now, if he can't get into the line up, that should tell you all we need to know.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799565 is a reply to message #799561 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 11 February 2022 10:03

He will be 24 years old in a month, he's not 19. He's in his 5th year of pro hockey. Tons of guys year after year for all kinds of teams that have played in the minors for similar amounts of time step right in and make an impact.

That's awesome he's such a great passer, when does it result in production on the ice? I bet there are tons of players in leagues all over the world who are great passer or have amazing shots but at some point doesn't it have to result in production? He's got 1 assist in 19 games. If Benson was a guy the Oilers plucked off waivers when teams were finalizing their rosters to start the season, I highly doubt fans would be dying to have him in the line up or creating excuses why he hasn't produced anything yet. They'd be saying he's a waste of a roster spot and time to get someone else. But because he's a draft pick and an Edmonton guy, all of a sudden the narrative changes.

I got nothing against the guy. I want every single draft pick to work out because if they do, its better for the Oilers. But at some point the excuses have to stop and he has to do something regardless of ice time. IF/when he gets on the ice, he needs to make an impact to garner more ice time. Like I said, with his old AHL coach and guy that helped develop him as the boss now, if he can't get into the line up, that should tell you all we need to know.

Again plays with plumbers. Continue to ignore the comparison that Perlini that you started when it doesn't support your bias against Benson. How old is Perlini again and more importantly, how many NHL games has he played compared to Benson? How many minutes?

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799566 is a reply to message #799560 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

We will see the lines for tonight soon enough won't we. So if he doesn't get in, what will be the excuse this time?

I have zero bias against the guy I'm just sick of watching guys play on this them and then you go to the stats page after the game and see nothing but zeros, there's no memory of them doing 1 thing that stood out on the ice, didn't make a play to contribute to a win or goal and if there is a stat, it's a minus and a bunch of a give aways. Then get to read all the excuses from the fans as to why he didn't do anything again, all because in the eyes of some, he's popular.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799563 is a reply to message #799559 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I’m absolutely positive everyone here wants us to win. To think there is only one solution to an end is ridiculous. We’ve got roster issues. Holland has stated the answer is in the room and I have to believe him, because he doesn’t have the skill set to make an outside the box trade.

I see every team bringing up young kids with success, except for the most part, our Oilers. I see no harm in giving them a chance because what we were doing before was not working. The line between a top end AHL’er and an 3rd/4th line NHL’er is marginal and in theory should be able to coached to succes. I’d rather see a kid with room to grow get a shot.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799551 is a reply to message #799503 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Depends on what you expect of the player and what you want in the bottom 6. Outside of the usual issues with this club, my biggest disappointment is how physically soft this team is to play against throughout the lineup. They have players that have the tools to be physical, but haven't seen that all year. Around the league, that's still a feature of most teams including the good teams, and you still have to dial that up in NHL hockey. Players still have to know that if they're not impacting the game positively on the scoresheet, they had better be doing it in some other way. Especially in the bottom 6 where presumably there are other guys who would give their left nut for NHL pay scale. Maybe that competition happens now.

Haven't seen enough of Marody, but Perlini I don't mind if you want a shooting mentality in the bottom 6. Benson is trying to be a pest, no offense yet. Ryan useful on the draw and PK, but otherwise.... I haven't seen enough of Malone can keep up and isnt buttery soft, I think there's a place for him. I think the team benefits if the bottom 6 has elements of some skill and some physicality. Kassian would be missed if he had either element, but he has neither. I think it's pretty likely with Woodcroft we might see some enlightened choices in player deployment, and maybe less entitlement for no reason.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799504 is a reply to message #799496 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:24

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:10

Quote:

#LetsGoOilers 

Turris is already on the taxi squad I think.

But Kassian out 1-2 months, so I stand corrected. He does replace #44.

Taxi squad isn’t a thing anymore I thought?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799511 is a reply to message #799504 ]
Thu, 10 February 2022 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 10 February 2022 13:46

Taxi squad isn’t a thing anymore I thought?

You are correct - they only ran until the All-Star game. So we have 15 forwards, 6 defence (plus Russell on IR) and three goalies currently - with Keith and Kassian about to join the IR too.

Re: Oilers Sign Brad Malone [message #799575 is a reply to message #799485 ]
Fri, 11 February 2022 12:05 Go to previous message

5 Cups

Malone clears and the Oilers have a 4th liner who could amp up the GAS (give a shoot)

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Previous Topic:Tippett fired
Next Topic:Review: Chicago @ Edmonton (Game #44)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca