This day on April 24
None

Happy Birthday To: foxbird, sspOILERS, hazmat, Tarnom, RankinSpankin

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796967]
Wed, 05 January 2022 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Toronto to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796972 is a reply to message #796967 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The good news is the number of postponements during this swan dive. Imagine if they were playing this bad and had a full schedule.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796975 is a reply to message #796972 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Every L brings us closer to something crazy happening, coaching change looney trade. Could be a fun little break here

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796974 is a reply to message #796967 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

No McDavid, no win. Expected. Accepted.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796976 is a reply to message #796967 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Bison King on bench when extra attacker out.
For real. This coach can go p1$s up a rope

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796978 is a reply to message #796976 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Wed, 05 January 2022 18:43

Bison king has been the Bison joker of late..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796982 is a reply to message #796978 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 05 January 2022 19:46

He shoots. Can’t say the same for Yamo. Can put the puck in the net. Can’t say the same for Kassian.
Freaking coach outsmarted himself yet again.

Fight me

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796987 is a reply to message #796978 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

His ripper in the 3rd was the closest thing to going in the net. Kid can shoot. Tipp putting Kassian out as the extra attacker made zero sense.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796988 is a reply to message #796987 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 05 January 2022 20:59

His ripper in the 3rd was the closest thing to going in the net. Kid can shoot. Tipp putting Kassian out as the extra attacker made zero sense.

Maybe he just had a hunch that Kassian was due? I think he’s completely out of ideas and flailing now. The sooner he’s sent packing the better. Missing the playoffs would be disastrous and I don’t think Tippett can get us there.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796977 is a reply to message #796967 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

MacLeod is so programmed to pass his brain auto-corrects open nets to pass.
He owes the team a goal.

Bouchard is slow and dopey, gets beat to every loose puck, and then loses the battle.
As hard on pucks as a kitten with a ball of string.

.. feels good to rant.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796983 is a reply to message #796977 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 05 January 2022 19:44

MacLeod is so programmed to pass his brain auto-corrects open nets to pass.
He owes the team a goal.

Bouchard is slow and dopey, gets beat to every loose puck, and then loses the battle.
As hard on pucks as a kitten with a ball of string.

.. feels good to rant.

Interesting Drai ended up just south of 25 min. Wonder how it looked late in the 3rd with him out there on all those PK minutes earlier in the game.

Perlini was 2nd among the forward group in shots with 3, willing to shoot the puck to at least attempt a goal, and scored one of the 2 goals. Dead last in fwd minutes though with less than 10.

On the positive side Smith gets fairly close to league avg .910 sv% with a .904!! Woot!

From experience with rants, it always feels good to put the odd 'butter soft' in there, and to end in the one word sentence: Disappointing. It's like when I was a kid it always stung more when my parents were disappointed rather than angry when I did something incredibly stupid.

I'll have to have a good rant at some point, tonight I viewed this outcome as an inevitability. Do they get this turned around before they free fall through .500?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796986 is a reply to message #796983 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

So once we are officially on the outside looking in tomorrow night, does something finally get done? What an embarrassment. Not just this game - it wasn’t all that bad, but the off-season, the season…can’t believe we are here again.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796979 is a reply to message #796967 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

They were tied 2-2 at the end of 2 and not embarrassing themselves when I had to move on and do something else. I didnt see what happened after that. That's like 60% of an OT loss in my mind!! icon_thumbsup icon_thumbsup

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796993 is a reply to message #796979 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 05 January 2022 19:47

They were tied 2-2 at the end of 2 and not embarrassing themselves when I had to move on and do something else. I didnt see what happened after that. That's like 60% of an OT loss in my mind!! icon_thumbsup icon_thumbsup

Our goalie let in a bad goal, then a random assortment of coach's pets skated aimlessly until a blind behind the back pass set up an empty netter.

So pretty much 2007-2021 crunched into 5 minutes.

Or as we call it here...the usual.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796995 is a reply to message #796967 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Was trying to figure out why people were saying Tippett lost 11 in a row. Forgot he wasn't coaching those 2 wins between all this losing :)

I think that might technically be tying the record for the franchise. A coach losing 11 in a row they were on the bench for. Ted Green did it as well.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 January 2022 00:59]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796998 is a reply to message #796995 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 January 2022 00:57

Was trying to figure out why people were saying Tippett lost 11 in a row. Forgot he wasn't coaching those 2 wins between all this losing :)

I think that might technically be tying the record for the franchise. A coach losing 11 in a row they were on the bench for. Ted Green did it as well.

How soon we forget the Eakins years

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/EDM/2015_games.html

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #797000 is a reply to message #796998 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 06 January 2022 08:35

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 06 January 2022 00:57

How soon we forget the Eakins years

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/EDM/2015_games.html

Hehe, oh Eakins. I remeber the horrible run, but thought the one win was more in the middle of the run of futility. So a 3-way tie for 11? Go Tippett go!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #796999 is a reply to message #796995 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I thought they played pretty decent. Oilers were undermanned with some critical players out, Leafs were healthy. They deserved a point at least. To get a point or even a win, they had to play really hard, which they did and get some luck. They aren't getting any luck what so ever. 2 goals were absolute fluke.

The first one was unlucky but also a mistake by Smith. Puck is going 2 feet wide, bounces perfectly for the Leafs, hits Smith's leg/skate bounces in. They could do that play 10 times in a row and I bet it bounces differently 9 times and doesn't do anything but it bounces perfectly, Smith didn't seal his post properly and it goes in. Second goal, again going way wide, plays pin ball, goes in. I hope at least it's a lesson to the Oilers that shooting towards the goal is not a crime and when you do, things can happen. One of the better teams in the league that have high end offensive guys that like to do fancy goals, just fired it towards the goal so it's Ok for the likes of McD and Leon to do it and no one will look at you funny.

I do see a team that is playing better but mistakes are crushing them. The first goal against was unlucky but also a mistake by Smith who should know better. McLeod........ you have a wide open net and you pass. icon_neutral Not sure what goes through your mind but that's a mistake.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #797012 is a reply to message #796967 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

The team played pretty good guy, honest!

That said some decisions by Tip and how Tip has recycling vets over players that can play have really soured me on him. I loved Tippett as a coach, I thought there was a man who could really get this team in the right direction.

Now it's gone all horribly wrong. Tippett is a defeated coach, and rightly or wrongly soured the room with the singling out of Koskinen and then adding more fire while trying to snuff out a fire. Man... the image of him has crashed down.

So same old, no accountability from top to bottom? Is that it?

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #797014 is a reply to message #797012 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 06 January 2022 11:49

That said some decisions by Tip and how Tip has recycling vets over players that can play have really soured me on him. I loved Tippett as a coach, I thought there was a man who could really get this team in the right direction.

Now it's gone all horribly wrong. Tippett is a defeated coach, and rightly or wrongly soured the room with the singling out of Koskinen and then adding more fire while trying to snuff out a fire. Man... the image of him has crashed down.

We'll see if they fire the GM, head coach, or an amateur scout.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #797015 is a reply to message #797014 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 06 January 2022 12:03

I think this is a failure of the analytics department and analytics overall. Time to fire that guy (those guys?).

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #797019 is a reply to message #797015 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

I felt Shore was skating in quicksand all night.

Benson is showing that in his limited ice time, he can still create with some good passes. He also drew a penalty and I felt was hard on the forecheck.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #797024 is a reply to message #797019 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Thu, 06 January 2022 13:28

I felt Shore was skating in quicksand all night.

Benson is showing that in his limited ice time, he can still create with some good passes. He also drew a penalty and I felt was hard on the forecheck.

I'm pretty sure that the only value Shore has is being training buddies with McDavid in the summer. That's it. That's why he is here.

It's annoying. But I get it. Management focus has shifted from building a winning roster to keeping McDavid happy. It's logical, because they don't know how to build a winning team. What would any of us do if that was the case? Obviously the best way to keep McDavid happy would be to win. But, what if you know you don't really know how to do that?

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #797030 is a reply to message #797015 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 06 January 2022 12:44

I think this is a failure of the analytics department and analytics overall. Time to fire that guy (those guys?).

Who is gonna book travel then? Or catering? You’re not thinking this all the way through.

Side note: it’s amazing to me that the second best person they could find for their analytics dept was the first guy’s brother

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #797031 is a reply to message #797030 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 06 January 2022 16:39

Skoobz wrote on Thu, 06 January 2022 12:44

Who is gonna book travel then? Or catering? You’re not thinking this all the way through.

Side note: it’s amazing to me that the second best person they could find for their analytics dept was the first guy’s brother

Maybe they're twins and share the same genetic abilities and love for data? Did you ever think about that all the way through?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #797032 is a reply to message #797012 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I doubt Tippett soured the room with his Koskinen comment. He was honest. I heard Kevin Woodley on Gregor's show a few days ago. He does goalie stats and writes a goalie magazine. Koskinen has let in 16 crappy goals in 20 games played!! 6 of which were off his puck handling bungles. That's A LOT. Supposedly according to this guy, teams across the league lose 85% of the games where their goalie gives up a a crap goal.

Should Tippett have vented like he did? NO but do I think McD is pissed off that Tippett did? Hell no. Do your job Koskinen, stop letting in crappy goals and definitely stop basically firing in goals on yourself with your stupid puck handling blunders.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38) [message #797037 is a reply to message #797032 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 18:09 Go to previous message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 06 January 2022 16:51

I doubt Tippett soured the room with his Koskinen comment. He was honest. I heard Kevin Woodley on Gregor's show a few days ago. He does goalie stats and writes a goalie magazine. Koskinen has let in 16 crappy goals in 20 games played!! 6 of which were off his puck handling bungles. That's A LOT. Supposedly according to this guy, teams across the league lose 85% of the games where their goalie gives up a a crap goal.

Should Tippett have vented like he did? NO but do I think McD is pissed off that Tippett did? Hell no. Do your job Koskinen, stop letting in crappy goals and definitely stop basically firing in goals on yourself with your stupid puck handling blunders.

I put this on Holland. Koskinen is an overpaid back-up and immovable. Ol’Dutchy took his 30M of UFA money and paid too much money on the likes of Keith and Smith. That money should’ve went elsewhere.

Koskinen is not good. Never has been and Bobby Nicks allowed Pete Chiarelli to sign him to terrible deal on his way out the door. The guys up top should be the ones being called out. Blaming Koskinen for the bad goals is not wrong, but it’s not his fault he’s being paid what he is and put in a place to have to carry the load.

Previous Topic:Guys McDavid got Covid
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca