This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796833]
Mon, 03 January 2022 19:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
NY Rangers to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796834 is a reply to message #796833 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

LOL. Full Oiler.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796835 is a reply to message #796833 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I hope all management and scouting safely makes it to their cottages and flights this spring. You know? With the feeling everything is taken care of and put to bed. It’s unsettling going into the summer with hockey business all undone and such. Having such foresight is the blueprint of a happy management team.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 January 2022 19:34]

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796836 is a reply to message #796833 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Teflon Tippett cannot survive this, can he?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796838 is a reply to message #796836 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 03 January 2022 19:37

Teflon Tippett cannot survive this, can he?

His team sure didn’t play like they wanted to get him a win…

~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796837 is a reply to message #796833 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilfann  is currently offline Oilfann

No Cups

I've defended Tippet for to long. I cannot any longer. This core has seen to many coach's in my opinion and need stability...or so I thought. Something isn't right. I don't know if Woodcroft is the answer. Babcock makes me cringe. Who would be the answer?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796839 is a reply to message #796833 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

I'm not sure what the answer is, same old issue of a non arrival on time. Horrible goals against and the air goes out of this team. If its not goaltending it's something else.

In a perfect world Mikko Koskinen doesnt get another Oilers start because he's not good enough. But alas there's not much to be done to send him anywhere else without retaining half his salary and a high pick or a good prospect.

Holland has to fix the goaltending immediately. Promote from you farm in the meantime because neither vet is getting it done. It's not clear the rest of the players are playing for Tippet or each other either. So Tippet is the easiest move for Holland. Holland won't be evaluated until the offseason, so what happens to him won't affect the current performance of the team unless he does something incredibly stupid during the season like Chiarelli did, more than once..

Speaking of the players, I'd love to be a fly on the wall to know what the leadership group is demanding of themselves and each other in terms of accountability, what each individual's mindset is. This isn't an ideal roster, but it's much better than the performance of the last month + is displaying. Part of this is on the players to have a look in the mirror, from the Hart guys down.

I really didnt see this season having long stretches of suck like this if I'm being honest. They've had at best 2 or 3 complete efforts this year and their record is flattering.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796840 is a reply to message #796833 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Tippett saying the team played well. Goalie let them down.

Couldn’t battle back.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796841 is a reply to message #796840 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 03 January 2022 20:19

Couldn’t battle back.

Every team fail reduced to one thing that went wrong. Makes it seem like such an easy fix. I'm sure they will figure it out

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796843 is a reply to message #796841 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 03 January 2022 20:21

Couldn’t battle back.

Every team fail reduced to one thing that went wrong. Makes it seem like such an easy fix. I'm sure they will figure it out

The good news is Holland did some other GMs some favours last offseason. Time to call one in.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796844 is a reply to message #796843 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 03 January 2022 21:23

Couldn’t battle back.

The good news is Holland did some other GMs some favours last offseason. Time to call one in.

Haha. It must absolutely baffle the Oilers when they learn it doesn't work that way.

Also this must be disheartening - the first cracks show in the Edmonton Sports Media:

Quote:

Robin Brownlee
@Robin_Brownlee

The Oilers need a better roster from the blue paint out. If Ken Holland can't make that happen, and in a hurry, then the Oilers need a new GM.

After a month of the lot of them calling out fans for daring to suggest any sort of change in coaching or management, here's the first suggestion that Holland may not be the right man for the job. Don't expect to see that amplified by any of the other mouth-breathers though. Matheson just this morning was tweeting about how many games Tippett has coached as a reason that he shouldn't be let go.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796845 is a reply to message #796844 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 03 January 2022 22:01

Couldn’t battle back.

Haha. It must absolutely baffle the Oilers when they learn it doesn't work that way.

Also this must be disheartening - the first cracks show in the Edmonton Sports Media:

Quote:

Robin Brownlee
@Robin_Brownlee

The Oilers need a better roster from the blue paint out. If Ken Holland can't make that happen, and in a hurry, then the Oilers need a new GM.

After a month of the lot of them calling out fans for daring to suggest any sort of change in coaching or management, here's the first suggestion that Holland may not be the right man for the job. Don't expect to see that amplified by any of the other mouth-breathers though. Matheson just this morning was tweeting about how many games Tippett has coached as a reason that he shouldn't be let go.

add a #FireKatz to your signature you coward

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796846 is a reply to message #796845 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 03 January 2022 22:24

Couldn’t battle back.

Quote:

Robin Brownlee
@Robin_Brownlee

I don't think there's any options - not that will be excited to keep the Oilers here at least. We're stuck with Katz, and can only really hope that he finally learns that completely passive ownership is a mistake. Your owner SHOULD have his finger on the pulse at least a little - and if the guys he has running the organization are foolish old sots who are stuck in the past, then that's the time to get rid of them. Well, it's past time to get rid of them, but they've played around the edges with little tweaks to the management team for so long that they've squandered a lot of precious time.

It is too bad that they gave Holland last summer to do what he did. It's not an easy fix for the next GM. He needs to clear out salary and re-purpose it better. That's not impossible though. If we were to make a change, there's a few moves that should be fully examined as soon as possible:

- get a real analytics department. You don't need to trust them on everything, but you should have someone who's capable of crunching the numbers on players and giving you advice on who you should acquire, how much you should be willing to pay to get them, and where you can find bargain players who'll out-perform their value. I'm sure the guy who books the travel is also a whiz at powerpoint too, but something tells me he needs at least a little more support here.
- trade Kassian. Someone will take him. He's big, he's got a reputation as someone who COULD be a bit of a disturber. Everyone is looking for the next Tom Wilson or Ryan Reaves, and guaranteed there's still a GM out there who thinks they can unlock Kassian.
- trade Barrie. He makes too much to be a third pairing guy and that four year deal is painful. This isn't a great move to have to make, since we don't have anyone who's a right shot who can step directly in, but either move a leftie over, or acquire someone who's more appropriately priced and it's about $3.03.5MM you can better spend elsewhere - you'll need it to pay Bouchard sooner than later anyhow.
- get a goalie, exit Koskinen. Ideally, that would happen pre-trade deadline but even if this year is a write-off thanks to the incompetent current GM and coach, then you need to do it in the summer. The team needs to upgrade.
- while we're on the topic of goalies, maybe you sit down Mike Smith and explain that his injuries appear to be career-ending at this point. He gets paid, we get relief, and we move on.
- I might also try to convince Duncan Keith that he too has suffered some real tough injuries in his career and they've clearly added up to making him no longer capable of playing NHL hockey next season. Thanks for the memories, but please don't come back. I'm probably hoping that one of the young LHD can make the jump in 2022-23 because it might be hard to afford a really decent LHD now.

If you can make those 5 exits, then you have freed up ~$20MM. You'll need to spend some on Puljujarvi, and I bring back Yamamoto if he's still on a cheap deal too. You get two new goalies and a 3rd pairing right shot defenceman. Hopefully the new coach is getting more out of the third and fourth liners we have, because everyone's signed again for next year, and the ones you can easiest move are likely the ones you shouldn't move. You may even have a little cash left over for another upgrade somewhere else in the lineup if you spend wisely.

Oh, and spend some time looking for a coach that isn't stuck in the 1990s. How many of these old re-treads do we have to cycle through?!?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796850 is a reply to message #796846 ]
Tue, 04 January 2022 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 03 January 2022 23:55

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 03 January 2022 22:24

Couldn’t battle back.

Quote:

Robin Brownlee
@Robin_Brownlee

I don't think there's any options - not that will be excited to keep the Oilers here at least. We're stuck with Katz, and can only really hope that he finally learns that completely passive ownership is a mistake. Your owner SHOULD have his finger on the pulse at least a little - and if the guys he has running the organization are foolish old sots who are stuck in the past, then that's the time to get rid of them. Well, it's past time to get rid of them, but they've played around the edges with little tweaks to the management team for so long that they've squandered a lot of precious time.

It is too bad that they gave Holland last summer to do what he did. It's not an easy fix for the next GM. He needs to clear out salary and re-purpose it better. That's not impossible though. If we were to make a change, there's a few moves that should be fully examined as soon as possible:

- get a real analytics department. You don't need to trust them on everything, but you should have someone who's capable of crunching the numbers on players and giving you advice on who you should acquire, how much you should be willing to pay to get them, and where you can find bargain players who'll out-perform their value. I'm sure the guy who books the travel is also a whiz at powerpoint too, but something tells me he needs at least a little more support here.
- trade Kassian. Someone will take him. He's big, he's got a reputation as someone who COULD be a bit of a disturber. Everyone is looking for the next Tom Wilson or Ryan Reaves, and guaranteed there's still a GM out there who thinks they can unlock Kassian.
- trade Barrie. He makes too much to be a third pairing guy and that four year deal is painful. This isn't a great move to have to make, since we don't have anyone who's a right shot who can step directly in, but either move a leftie over, or acquire someone who's more appropriately priced and it's about $3.03.5MM you can better spend elsewhere - you'll need it to pay Bouchard sooner than later anyhow.
- get a goalie, exit Koskinen. Ideally, that would happen pre-trade deadline but even if this year is a write-off thanks to the incompetent current GM and coach, then you need to do it in the summer. The team needs to upgrade.
- while we're on the topic of goalies, maybe you sit down Mike Smith and explain that his injuries appear to be career-ending at this point. He gets paid, we get relief, and we move on.
- I might also try to convince Duncan Keith that he too has suffered some real tough injuries in his career and they've clearly added up to making him no longer capable of playing NHL hockey next season. Thanks for the memories, but please don't come back. I'm probably hoping that one of the young LHD can make the jump in 2022-23 because it might be hard to afford a really decent LHD now.

If you can make those 5 exits, then you have freed up ~$20MM. You'll need to spend some on Puljujarvi, and I bring back Yamamoto if he's still on a cheap deal too. You get two new goalies and a 3rd pairing right shot defenceman. Hopefully the new coach is getting more out of the third and fourth liners we have, because everyone's signed again for next year, and the ones you can easiest move are likely the ones you shouldn't move. You may even have a little cash left over for another upgrade somewhere else in the lineup if you spend wisely.

Oh, and spend some time looking for a coach that isn't stuck in the 1990s. How many of these old re-treads do we have to cycle through?!?

I saw a tweet about team analytics departments yesterday. Can't find it, but pretty sure we were middle of the pack for team size now with 2 people! Mahe, and Mahe. Guess we hired the 1 guys brother. Or maybe he was already there and we just started saying he was doing analytics too.

Good news IMO. We were doing a bang up job. Now we just doubled the Mahe factor.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796847 is a reply to message #796844 ]
Tue, 04 January 2022 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 04 January 2022 01:01

After a month of the lot of them calling out fans for daring to suggest any sort of change in coaching or management, here's the first suggestion that Holland may not be the right man for the job.

Not looking to say "I told you so" here, but more of a warning/lesson for the future - when a lot of us here at the start of the year were still wringing our hands despite sitting close to the top of the entire NHL, a lot of the pompom brigade were being awfully sanctimonious, quickly pointing out how so wrong we were to question roster construction, especially the use of our cap dollars, well because we are not NHL GMs...

I remember the opposite - 2005-2006. That team, outside the crease, looked good. Most of us on there were saying it the whole year. And Lowe hit it right out of the park leading up to the trade deadline. Pronger and Peca in the offseason, then Tarnstrom, Spacek, Samsonov, and the key piece missing all year: Roloson. (can you believe that will be 16 years ago? As much time has passed since than as had passed since our last Cup win at that time)

Got sidetracked - but my point was this is a discussion board, and I get how it may seem silly to complain about "the best team in the league" at any given time, but we don't always see things the same way, and nobody is always right.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796851 is a reply to message #796847 ]
Tue, 04 January 2022 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Something to make the Nervous Nellies around here even more so.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-connor-mcdavid-misses-pra ctice-1.1741733

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796852 is a reply to message #796851 ]
Tue, 04 January 2022 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 04 January 2022 12:32

Tippett has his next excuse in the bag.
Good times

~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796864 is a reply to message #796852 ]
Tue, 04 January 2022 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Slim Jim Phantom Call wrote on Tue, 04 January 2022 13:53

GabbyDugan wrote on Tue, 04 January 2022 12:32

Tippett has his next excuse in the bag.
Good times

Here I was thinking he was retiring to become GM

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796842 is a reply to message #796833 ]
Mon, 03 January 2022 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Koski was brutal on two plays the over the glass, and then the FUBAR on the 1st goal.. with #75 contributing due his lazy back check, he should have been in 1st instead of leaving it to Koski.

I didn't watch after that, just hit FF..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796893 is a reply to message #796833 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Who would have guessed it, throwing your goalie under the bus doesn't go over well with that goalie.

Quote:

"I thought we did a lot of things well tonight," Tippett told reporters on Monday. “Our goaltender wasn't very good, and we didn't find enough pucks at the net to get us back in the game. ... We haven't played as well as we'd like to as a group. There's lots to improve on.”

According to sports news outlet Yle Urheilu, Koskinen responded to the remarks by his head coach, saying "It's not nice being thrown under the bus. I have to be better but at the same time we scored seven goals in my last six losses. I can't score goals."

Now Tippett saying his remarks were taken out of context, and that he was only talking about the beginning of the game:

Quote:

TSN's Ryan Rishaug reported Wednesday that Tippett feels his remarks were taken out of context.

https://www.tsn.ca/edmonton-oilers-mikko-koskinen-responds-t o-dave-tippett-criticism-1.1742005

Should be noted that Tippett also said this about Koskinen:

Quote:

"It's a brutal mistake, what are you gonna do? Call it what it is. We're playing well, it's a brutal mistake," Tippett said.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2242240/koskinen-responds- to-criticism-its-not-nice-being-thrown-under-the-bus

Not really sure that the context of the time of the game matters too much when you say your goalie made a "brutal mistake", and "wasn't very good". And that's putting aside the fact that in the quote where Tippett says Koskinen wasn't very good it sure sounds like he's talking about the game as a whole and not just the start.

And maybe, and I'm not an NHL head coach so what do I know, have a conversation with your goalie about your comments instead of whining to the media about being taken out of context, because Koskinen sure didn't seem to understand the context.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796903 is a reply to message #796893 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I bet back in the day you could complain to the Finnish media and it would never come back to bite you.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796904 is a reply to message #796903 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 05 January 2022 13:22

I bet back in the day you could complain to the Finnish media and it would never come back to bite you.

Yeah, but it would take 5-7 for the letter to reach Helsinki then the reporter would have to dictate a response with follow up questions and by then Sather would have traded you to the North Stars.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796925 is a reply to message #796893 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This just continues to develop:

Friedman says the Oilers are looking in to making some significant change. Dreger reports that they aren't looking at making a change. I know who I trust between those two.

Quote:

Ryan Rishaug
@TSNRyanRishaug

Love a good quote..but...
It's Tippets job to manage the tire fire happening. Pointing a finger at Koskinen the way he did, while all of it true, was too aggressive an approach to take while the heat was so cranked up on all. Then he doubled down the next day adding.../

that he didn't like the third goal either. That is when Koskinen fired back in the Finnish media defending himself. Criticizing the teams offence however was a mistake. He's not doing his job well enough to point any fingers at anyone else..../

Also, not buying the idea Tippett was taken out of context. he said what he said about things we all saw Koskinen do. We all knew what he meant, so did he. Bottom line, none of this helped, and it's the coaches job to fix things when they're broken, not inflame them...

Rishaug burying an axe in Tippett here so he likely trusts the info from Friedman better here too. If this is the last week or two for Tippett, this will be one of those moments the Edmonton media will point to.

There's reporting that Koskinen was the one actually taken out of context when his whole quote is translated:

Quote:

Mari Lönnberg
@LonnbergMari
What Mikko Koskinen actually said: ”This is how it usually goes in this line of business. When the team is doing badly, either the coach or the goalie is sacrificed. It doesn’t feel nice to anyone to be thrown under the bus, but I had no big emotions...”

”... about the things coach said. One just has to keep on going (towards the next game.”

”There wasn’t any qritique early in the season, but now it rains from everywhere, because I have lost six games consequetively...”

”...People here are passionate (get nervous) because everyone follows closely our actions. Each situation and goal is carefully analyzed. This is the way it is here because hockey creates so much emotion and passion in people.

”...I want to also say that in all those six games I lost our team was able to score seven goals. I am not able to score, so it is not only up to the goalie if the team wins or loses. We need to play better as a team.”

Brad M
@McLeod73
Replying to @LonnbergMari

Edmonton media turning around some quotes. Surprising.

Mari Lönnberg
@LonnbergMari
Replying to @McLeod73

It started from Tommi Seppälä’s tweet. I think this time the Edmonton media just ate the bate.

But of course, there's a shot fired in the organization by a player so naturally, if you're Mark Spector, the logical next step is character assassination. He decides to post an article saying that the goalie with the bulk of the wins for the team this year has lost the room...

Quote:

Sportsnet
@Sportsnet
The Edmonton Oilers don’t care, the way fans and media do, what a player makes. That goalie Mikko Koskinen is overpaid matters not in the dressing room. What they care about is, “Does this guy help us win?” And the answer, says @SportsnetSpec, is "no."

It has been pointed out that Oilers coaches who play in Spector's golf tournament do tend to get a level of protection from Spector - who earlier this week compared fans calling for Tippett's removal to bleating sheep...

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796927 is a reply to message #796925 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 January 2022 16:26

This just continues to develop:

Friedman says the Oilers are looking in to making some significant change. Dreger reports that they aren't looking at making a change. I know who I trust between those two.

Quote:

Ryan Rishaug
@TSNRyanRishaug

Love a good quote..but...
It's Tippets job to manage the tire fire happening. Pointing a finger at Koskinen the way he did, while all of it true, was too aggressive an approach to take while the heat was so cranked up on all. Then he doubled down the next day adding.../

that he didn't like the third goal either. That is when Koskinen fired back in the Finnish media defending himself. Criticizing the teams offence however was a mistake. He's not doing his job well enough to point any fingers at anyone else..../

Also, not buying the idea Tippett was taken out of context. he said what he said about things we all saw Koskinen do. We all knew what he meant, so did he. Bottom line, none of this helped, and it's the coaches job to fix things when they're broken, not inflame them...

Rishaug burying an axe in Tippett here so he likely trusts the info from Friedman better here too. If this is the last week or two for Tippett, this will be one of those moments the Edmonton media will point to.

There's reporting that Koskinen was the one actually taken out of context when his whole quote is translated:

Quote:

Mari Lönnberg
@LonnbergMari
What Mikko Koskinen actually said: ”This is how it usually goes in this line of business. When the team is doing badly, either the coach or the goalie is sacrificed. It doesn’t feel nice to anyone to be thrown under the bus, but I had no big emotions...”

”... about the things coach said. One just has to keep on going (towards the next game.”

”There wasn’t any qritique early in the season, but now it rains from everywhere, because I have lost six games consequetively...”

”...People here are passionate (get nervous) because everyone follows closely our actions. Each situation and goal is carefully analyzed. This is the way it is here because hockey creates so much emotion and passion in people.

”...I want to also say that in all those six games I lost our team was able to score seven goals. I am not able to score, so it is not only up to the goalie if the team wins or loses. We need to play better as a team.”

Brad M
@McLeod73
Replying to @LonnbergMari

Edmonton media turning around some quotes. Surprising.

Mari Lönnberg
@LonnbergMari
Replying to @McLeod73

It started from Tommi Seppälä’s tweet. I think this time the Edmonton media just ate the bate.

But of course, there's a shot fired in the organization by a player so naturally, if you're Mark Spector, the logical next step is character assassination. He decides to post an article saying that the goalie with the bulk of the wins for the team this year has lost the room...

Quote:

Sportsnet
@Sportsnet
The Edmonton Oilers don’t care, the way fans and media do, what a player makes. That goalie Mikko Koskinen is overpaid matters not in the dressing room. What they care about is, “Does this guy help us win?” And the answer, says @SportsnetSpec, is "no."

It has been pointed out that Oilers coaches who play in Spector's golf tournament do tend to get a level of protection from Spector - who earlier this week compared fans calling for Tippett's removal to bleating sheep...

Basically we need a goalie that has unwavering confidence, which is maybe a few guys in the entire NHL. Mike Smith may be one, but could be because he is so old he doesn't give 2 craps.

Or, we could be a team that doesn't grind down the confidence of every goalie we have that isn't one of 2 or 3 in the NHL with unwavering confidence.

I choose #1. Let's try to find one of the few goalies in the NHL that just plays their best no matter what crap is happening and trade Drai for them. And we'll probably grind that guy down into nothing too still and dump him as a loser in a few years, but at least we tried.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796931 is a reply to message #796927 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 January 2022 16:34

Basically we need a goalie that has unwavering confidence, which is maybe a few guys in the entire NHL. Mike Smith may be one, but could be because he is so old he doesn't give 2 craps.

Or, we could be a team that doesn't grind down the confidence of every goalie we have that isn't one of 2 or 3 in the NHL with unwavering confidence.

I choose #1. Let's try to find one of the few goalies in the NHL that just plays their best no matter what crap is happening and trade Drai for them. And we'll probably grind that guy down into nothing too still and dump him as a loser in a few years, but at least we tried.

I took a soccer course in University with some of my free credits. It was a fun one - I actually liked it a lot better than the hockey course I took that was taught by some OHL burn-out. The soccer class had a lot of on-field stuff, but there was also an element of coaching theory. One of the things that was brought up was how hard you can ride a player is inversely related to the pressure of their position. If you're a striker, you can be a bit of a whipping boy over your mistakes, because you're getting no immediate negative results other than that. You make a dumb play and the other team still has to go through 10 other guys. Goalies get their negative stimuli immediately after they make an error - it's a goal against and the other team is celebrating and they're the goat. And not in the Pele sense of GOAT either. The theory was that it made sense to be a little more reticent to yell and scream and point fingers at the 'tender for this reason. That's not to say that they're immune from criticism, it's just that you don't need to really lay in to them because the immediate sting of that mistake isn't something they likely forgot.

Tippett apparently understands at least some of this. Here's what he said about goalie mistakes today:

Quote:

“Goaltenders, when they make mistakes, it has an impact on the game. We’re a struggling team, and those are mistakes that ... affect the outcome of the game,” Tippett said Wednesday in Toronto. “When a winger makes a mistake, you never notice it. A centre? A little more. A defenceman? A little more. And goaltenders? They’re front and centre. It has an impact on the game. There’s a frustration around our team.”

But apparently he never understood the other side of that equation though. I also think it's again glaring how differently he treats different players. Mike Smith has had a lot of stinker games in an Edmonton Oilers uniform and I don't remember him ever even just saying his favourite goalie had an off-night. Smith lost a game the Oilers scored five times in last week with some incredibly weak goals against. What were his comments that night?

Quote:

"Rollercoaster game. I thought we started well, and then we take a penalty and boom, it's in our net. We get one right back, give one back again, and then between a so-called challenge that wasn't a challenge, I think four of the six goals against us were at some point deflected and bounced in the right direction."

"It's one of those games where a lot of bounces were going the other way. You just have to stick with it. We had some guys play very well tonight and some guys put in really good efforts. We've got to stay with that and go into tomorrow the same way."

Smith let in a stinker very early in that one, and then another weak goal in OT to give the game away. It's a shame for Koskinen that he's not one of the coach's guys.

Good news though - someone else is!

Quote:

Daniel Nugent-Bowman
@DNBsports
Dave Tippett was asked today who is keeping the team together. He first said the leadership group. “You know who’s been really good? Duncan Keith’s been really good. His veteran leadership is really strong. On the bench during games, in between periods, it’s been really good.”

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796943 is a reply to message #796931 ]
Wed, 05 January 2022 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 January 2022 16:59

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 05 January 2022 16:34

I took a soccer course in University with some of my free credits. It was a fun one - I actually liked it a lot better than the hockey course I took that was taught by some OHL burn-out. The soccer class had a lot of on-field stuff, but there was also an element of coaching theory. One of the things that was brought up was how hard you can ride a player is inversely related to the pressure of their position. If you're a striker, you can be a bit of a whipping boy over your mistakes, because you're getting no immediate negative results other than that. You make a dumb play and the other team still has to go through 10 other guys. Goalies get their negative stimuli immediately after they make an error - it's a goal against and the other team is celebrating and they're the goat. And not in the Pele sense of GOAT either. The theory was that it made sense to be a little more reticent to yell and scream and point fingers at the 'tender for this reason. That's not to say that they're immune from criticism, it's just that you don't need to really lay in to them because the immediate sting of that mistake isn't something they likely forgot.

Tippett apparently understands at least some of this. Here's what he said about goalie mistakes today:

Quote:

“Goaltenders, when they make mistakes, it has an impact on the game. We’re a struggling team, and those are mistakes that ... affect the outcome of the game,” Tippett said Wednesday in Toronto. “When a winger makes a mistake, you never notice it. A centre? A little more. A defenceman? A little more. And goaltenders? They’re front and centre. It has an impact on the game. There’s a frustration around our team.”

But apparently he never understood the other side of that equation though. I also think it's again glaring how differently he treats different players. Mike Smith has had a lot of stinker games in an Edmonton Oilers uniform and I don't remember him ever even just saying his favourite goalie had an off-night. Smith lost a game the Oilers scored five times in last week with some incredibly weak goals against. What were his comments that night?

Quote:

"Rollercoaster game. I thought we started well, and then we take a penalty and boom, it's in our net. We get one right back, give one back again, and then between a so-called challenge that wasn't a challenge, I think four of the six goals against us were at some point deflected and bounced in the right direction."

"It's one of those games where a lot of bounces were going the other way. You just have to stick with it. We had some guys play very well tonight and some guys put in really good efforts. We've got to stay with that and go into tomorrow the same way."

Smith let in a stinker very early in that one, and then another weak goal in OT to give the game away. It's a shame for Koskinen that he's not one of the coach's guys.

Good news though - someone else is!

Quote:

Daniel Nugent-Bowman
@DNBsports
Dave Tippett was asked today who is keeping the team together. He first said the leadership group. “You know who’s been really good? Duncan Keith’s been really good. His veteran leadership is really strong. On the bench during games, in between periods, it’s been really good.”

hahaha, wow, thanks for putting these quotes together. I'm having trouble keeping up with the ridiculousness of this team lately.

I feel like Tippett is such a known quantity now. Nothing he does surprises at all, from how he coaches, adjusts, and what biases he shows in his handling of players. And really, it's all so disappointing. Seems so clear this team isn't going to move forward with him. But the GM is a doofus too, and the guy above him as well. Bleh.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Review: Edmonton @ NY Rangers (Game #37) [message #796994 is a reply to message #796943 ]
Thu, 06 January 2022 00:55 Go to previous message

6 Cups

dylan @binkerbonk
Dave Tippett when the Oilers lose 7-6 with Mike Smith in net
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIYVxSVVcAAOYU_?format=jpg&name=360x360

Dave Tippett when the Oilers lose 3-1 with Mikko Koskinen in net
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIYVxTVVgAQQSs6?format=jpg&name=small

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #38)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca