This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795159 is a reply to message #795120 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Cant blame Mikko for that one. Fire drill in our end, bad bounce, tough goal. Time for the team to turn things up a notch, been on their heals a little too much this last bit.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795161 is a reply to message #795120 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

No penalties called since mid-game. Clearly refs have no want to give anything.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795163 is a reply to message #795120 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Vegas gets a read on the officiating in this game and is doing whatever out there.

This should probably be the end of Kassian on that first line. Hyman is doing 100% of the heavy lifting on the forecheck and the board work. Kass with 2 hits in around 15 minutes, and weak on the boards.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795165 is a reply to message #795163 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 27 November 2021 20:28

This should probably be the end of Kassian on that first line.

Every single stat, basic or other wise says you are right. The "eye test" says the same. McDavid and Draisaitls stat are better with every single player they play with.
I have no idea what he is doing in the top six, forget the top line. He has a use and can contribute something (truculance?) on the third line but is a black hole of offense anywhere above that.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795166 is a reply to message #795163 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 27 November 2021 18:28

Vegas gets a read on the officiating in this game and is doing whatever out there.

This should probably be the end of Kassian on that first line. Hyman is doing 100% of the heavy lifting on the forecheck and the board work. Kass with 2 hits in around 15 minutes, and weak on the boards.

Yeah have to agree, Kassian effort (fitness?) level is low, especially the forecheck which used to be his thing, finishing checks etc. so far tonight .. crickets..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795172 is a reply to message #795166 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 27 November 2021 19:34

Yeah have to agree, Kassian effort (fitness?) level is low, especially the forecheck which used to be his thing, finishing checks etc. so far tonight .. crickets..

Presumably that's his role, why the Oilers have him. Energy players that forecheck and finish checks are still a thing in the NHL. Kass just really isn't among them, currently.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795173 is a reply to message #795172 ]
Sat, 27 November 2021 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sat, 27 November 2021 18:59

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 27 November 2021 19:34

Presumably that's his role, why the Oilers have him. Energy players that forecheck and finish checks are still a thing in the NHL. Kass just really isn't among them, currently.

He used to be, its not a skill thing, its a will thing, and he seems to have the same speed he used to have, maybe he just doesn't have the fitness to last a McD shift, not many would.
I think he needs to try hypnotherapy .. "Zack when I snap my fingers.. you will chase the puck, finish checks, cycle the puck, clear the zone.. <snap!>.."

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795198 is a reply to message #795173 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Part of me wonders if his mind set changes when he's put on mcDavid's wing. "Better not screw this up... Better not take a penalty" and it results in him not playing the way we want him to.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795202 is a reply to message #795198 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Mon, 29 November 2021 09:55

Part of me wonders if his mind set changes when he's put on mcDavid's wing. "Better not screw this up... Better not take a penalty" and it results in him not playing the way we want him to.

He hasn't played great for a couple years now, so I don't think it's simply that he's over-thinking when playing with 97. Most likely, I think he's inconsistent by nature, so can't count on him to bring a lot every game. I tend to agree that he's probably not suited to play the same minutes as McDavid and Draisaitl, which will take its toll when he's elevated. I think he's had several concussions, which may subconsciously make him a little more reluctant in some circumstances. And finally, honestly, I think he's a fourth liner being paid like a low end second liner - which causes some expectation issues for him.

For what it's worth, I think too much is made of "penalties 200 ft from your net" - which we hear as a criticism of Kassian and Yamamoto among others. You want people to play physical on the forecheck, and you're occasionally going to get penalties there. Some of those may be coachable moments - if you miss with the body, reaching with the long hook there probably doesn't make a lot of sense - but aggressive penalties should be excused to some extent as a cost of doing business. With Kassian, I'm more concerned with dumb penalties because he's trying to be over-aggressive to prove he's doing something, but honestly I haven't seen too much of that this season.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20) [message #795209 is a reply to message #795202 ]
Mon, 29 November 2021 12:27 Go to previous message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Your last sentence is more what I was referring to.

His play in the previous handful of games warranted his move up, not his play over the past couple of years, which is what I was referring to with 'what got him there'

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vegas (Game #20)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca